HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Tanev Offersheet?

Old
07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Siludin

vCash: 500
Chris Tanev Offersheet?

Let's say a team desperate for a young, skilled defender with solid upside and great poise takes a stab at Tanev with a really big offersheet ($3+ million, for instance). Do the Canucks match here? What's the threshold? I could see a divisional rival like Calgary or Colorado making a move like this. Who else would be looking at this kind of deal?

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

I think they do. Tanev is too good to just let go.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
CanucksSayEh

I will personally hop on a plane to the city of whichever team does this and backhand slap the GM across the face.

CanucksSayEh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Hockeygirl95*

One of the more overrated d-men in the league. Canucks fans prop him up because they lack solid young players, (see Corrado)

Hockeygirl95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
I will personally hop on a plane to the city of whichever team does this and backhand slap the GM across the face.
Haha, as Canucks fans, I think we need to be wary of vindictive GMs and our RFAs. Calgary already made a big move like this and Gillis has done it before, too.

This situation could end up being like the one with Niklas Hjarlmarsson.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:39 PM
clashed

vCash: 885
How about we don't bring attention to this guy?

clashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl95 View Post
One of the more overrated d-man in the league. Canucks fans prop him up because they lack solid young players, (see Corrado)
Do you watch Tanev? He plays with a ton of confidence and rarely gets shaken. On a team with some very inconsistent and wildcard d-men (see Edler, Bieksa, previously Ballard), he stabilizes any pairing. He has some underrated playmaking ability as well, and all of his points have come at even-strength or in short-handed situations.

Old
Nash

Love Tanev and think he is a solid steady D destined for a top 4 role, but his lack of offense probably means no one would offer sheet him...at least in the range you are suggesting. There are some other guys named Pietrangelo, Bogosian, McDonagh and Alzner, just to name a few that would be offer sheeted way before Tanev is looked at.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
One of the more overrated d-man in the league. Canucks fans prop him up because they lack solid young players, (see Corrado)
That is blasphemous, Tanev is a gangster whom flows ice cold concrete through his veins.

Old
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashed View Post
How about we don't bring attention to this guy?
I suspect it's why he hired an agent so late in the game. He probably started hearing some whispers of big dollars from other clubs as July 1st approached and suddenly needed some more advice.

Old
thegutter

vCash: 271
Quote:
One of the more overrated d-men in the league. Canucks fans prop him up because they lack solid young players, (see Corrado)
agree, a young defensemen who very rarely makes a mistake in his own zone. No one would want him.

thegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
SLarmer28

Jay Feaster's the name, attempted offersheets are my game.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
CanucksRollin
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
I swear if Mike Gillis lets Tanev go I am gonna go insane.

CanucksRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
We likely aren't able to match any offer sheet north of $2.5M, but I doubt anyone does. Offer sheets are just not the boogeyman people are this forum like to believe they are.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

I don't know how people can say things like, ''he's a good top 4'' and ''he can carry a pairing'' when he played bottom pairing sheltered minutes all season. He was over 4 minutes per game behind our top 4 guys and wasn't even close in quality of competition.

He's also very soft, has no shot, so yeah he's alright and pretty solid in the role he's been given but lets not go crazy here. Maybe he'll turn into a less offensive version of Hamhuis, that's what I'm hoping but he'll have to start playing against MUCH better players instead of taking on the 3/4 lines.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
This situation could end up being like the one with Niklas Hjalmarsson.
The Chicago Blackhawks survived the Niklas Hjalmarsson offersheet. But thanks for asking.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
We likely aren't able to match any offer sheet north of $2.5M, but I doubt anyone does. Offer sheets are just not the boogeyman people are this forum like to believe they are.
Well if it's all that much north of there we'd be getting at least a 1st back, and if it's from Calgary or Colorado that could mean even better things. But I'm sure there is some general interest in Tanev around the league. Let's hope we can keep him for cheap with term!

Old
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You've clearly never seen Tanev play before.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Infinite Jest

vCash: 50
Why offersheet Tanev when there are so many better RFAs out there?

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
StringerBell

I agree Tanev is a bit overrated. Right now he's just a bottom pairing defenseman with great poise and hockey IQ. I can't see anyone offersheeting him.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:51 PM
CanucksSayEh

Tanev is not soft. He never shy's away from fore checkers, he will stand in front of a train if it means making the right pass up the ice. Rarely does he lose puck battles vs players of any size. He has the frame to add on weight as he matures, makes good, safe plays in the O zone and is improving his shot (slowly).

Tanev stands tall to pressure, where as someone like Bieksa can't get out of the way fast enough, regardless of if it means coughing up the puck to closest man in a different jersey. Great young D-man, will **** a chicken if Gillis lets go of him.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:51 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
I don't know how people can say things like, ''he's a good top 4'' and ''he can carry a pairing'' when he played bottom pairing sheltered minutes all season. He was over 4 minutes per game behind our top 4 guys and wasn't even close in quality of competition.

He's also very soft, has no shot, so yeah he's alright and pretty solid in the role he's been given but lets not go crazy here. Maybe he'll turn into a less offensive version of Hamhuis, that's what I'm hoping but he'll have to start playing against MUCH better players instead of taking on the 3/4 lines.
Pretty much this.

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Jacob

Tanev is nothing special.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
CanucksRollin
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
This is what I have to say about Tanev. He is a young defenseman with a good hockey IQ, he can move the puck in his own zone with almost no mistakes. He can score but not at the rate that it is like a offensive defenseman and he is very good defensive. He can also play the 2nd pair I have seen him with Edler and they played pretty well, same with Corrado.

CanucksRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
The Chicago Blackhawks survived the Niklas Hjalmarsson offersheet. But thanks for asking.
Haha I was trying to stay positive!