HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

3 years later, Taylor Hall Vs. Tyler Seguin

View Poll Results: Tyler Vs Taylor
Taylor Hall 449 58.09%
Tyler Seguin 324 41.91%
Voters: 773. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  #326
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
That's why I think they'll be close in the future, I think Seguin can play like that over more games. Hopefully this year was Seguin's sophomore slump.
So you think Seguins better becasue you think he can play the way he did for the ~15 game span when he's only played that way for ~15 games? Thats some interesting logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
Why do you think it's mostly Oiler fans that start these threads
Better question is why do you think mostly Oiler fans start these threads when they dont?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
  #327
Mainehockey33
27
 
Mainehockey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
So you think Seguins better becasue you think he can play the way he did for the ~15 game span when he's only played that way for ~15 games? Thats some interesting logic.

Better question is why do you think mostly Oiler fans start these threads when they dont?
Like a swiss watch.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1419223

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
  #328
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1342347

Ya know, the thread that you are currently posting in.
And Oiler fans flock to threads like these because ya know, Hall plays for the Oilers. Shocking that Oiler fans would post in a thread about an Oiler.

I don't know who will be better in their respective primes, it'll probably be close either way due to Seguin having tons of untapped potential but there is absolutely no question that Hall has been the superior player thus far in their respective careers and that gap has widened this season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
  #329
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
You didnt answer my question. You instead posted "one" thread, that didnt even exist when you originally posted.

Just admit that you assumed Oilers fans make most of these threads and were wrong. It'll show character if you can admit that.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #330
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
I didn't say I'd pick Seguin because he's played more playoff games. I'd pick him because of the potential Bruins fans see in him.

I'm saying that both players are good players and I find it funny that Oilers fans have to make their guy sound better because they have nothing else to cheer for, like the playoffs. Why do you think it's mostly Oiler fans that start these threads and post in them militantly.
I don't think they have to make Hall "sound better". I think he IS better.

The funny thing is that when the Bruins drafted Seguin, Bruins fans were very anti-Kessel. Hated his attitude, hated his style of play, hated that he wanted more money. And I'm not saying that they were in any way wrong. But the thing is, that before most of them ever even saw Tyler Seguin play a game, they were convinced he was the anti-Kessel. He was "hard working", "high hockey iq", a "team player" "good all around" "positive attitude".

They so convinced themselves of this that they ignored things like repeated sleeping late and blowing off team meetings (and giving an obvious false excuse for one), timid board play, lack of growth as a player in his 3rd season, partying and celebrating a little too much, not using his teammates enough, not divsersifying his game.

Seguin has great physical skills, and I think he will be a dynamic player with many very high point total years. He'll be an all star a few times.

But Hall is a different player. I saw it in the OHL and I see it now. Hall is the one that is the "anti-Kessel". He is the one that busts his butt on every shift. He is the one who sacrifices his body for the good of the team to get to the dirty areas. He's everything that Bruins fans wanted Seguin to be.

Now of course his style of play comes with a price, and it's possible that he'll always be a guy who misses some games to injury every year, but he's better than Seguin. Not a knock on the B's since they were picking 2nd, and never had a chance to pick Hall.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
  #331
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,251
vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I hate the Oilers and I hate Oilers fans, but the answer is Hall, and it's not very close either. He's simply a better player. Seguin is good but he is overrated on this site while Hall is underrated.
I agree with this. The only thing that will keep Hall from being better than Seguin is the (very real) chance of injuries.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:23 AM
  #332
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
Taylor Hall doesn't have sophomore slumps, he just gets better and better. It was funny because after his first two seasons most of us had him slotted as a pure goal-scorer with 30-40 goal, 80 pt ceiling. Now he's gone out and become a top-10 assist guy in the league.

I've never seen the hype around Hall as a goal-scorer/sniper. He's got a hard shot, but questionable accuracy and ability to get it off in tight quarters. Most of his goals come from banging in rebounds and cleaning up in scrums. Because of this, I always questioned his ability to be that perennial 40+ goal threat that many believed he would be.

But this new-found "play-making" ability is a huge development. I use quotations because he doesn't play-make like a Backstrom/H.Sedin - but it's by pure virtue of his style of play that he accumulates these assists. He backs defenders off his speed, leaving routine drop passes as easy assists for a wide-open linemate. He'll throw pucks at the goal in heavy-scrum times, and someone will eventually track it down and clean up the goal. It's his own brand of play-making, and it's seemingly working well.

That added playmaking element (which he showed in his last year in Windsor, which he attributed to his lower goal-scoring) is really when he's at his best. It's what got him the 1st overall selection back in 2010, and it may be what takes him to that next level.

I used to always believe Seguin was the better player for his propensity to collect both goals and assists. But Hall has clearly taken his game to another level with his ability to do both at a high level.

Hall's the better talent now, and projects to be for a while if he continues to stick to his game and focus on streamlining it.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
  #333
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,648
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't think they have to make Hall "sound better". I think he IS better.

The funny thing is that when the Bruins drafted Seguin, Bruins fans were very anti-Kessel. Hated his attitude, hated his style of play, hated that he wanted more money. And I'm not saying that they were in any way wrong. But the thing is, that before most of them ever even saw Tyler Seguin play a game, they were convinced he was the anti-Kessel. He was "hard working", "high hockey iq", a "team player" "good all around" "positive attitude".

They so convinced themselves of this that they ignored things like repeated sleeping late and blowing off team meetings (and giving an obvious false excuse for one), timid board play, lack of growth as a player in his 3rd season, partying and celebrating a little too much, not using his teammates enough, not divsersifying his game.

Seguin has great physical skills, and I think he will be a dynamic player with many very high point total years. He'll be an all star a few times.

But Hall is a different player. I saw it in the OHL and I see it now. Hall is the one that is the "anti-Kessel". He is the one that busts his butt on every shift. He is the one who sacrifices his body for the good of the team to get to the dirty areas. He's everything that Bruins fans wanted Seguin to be.

Now of course his style of play comes with a price, and it's possible that he'll always be a guy who misses some games to injury every year, but he's better than Seguin. Not a knock on the B's since they were picking 2nd, and never had a chance to pick Hall.
Beautiful post.

I loved the Hall pick but I had some reservations about the reasoning that the Oilers gave in picking Hall over Seguin. I now see that their reasoning (i.e. Hall's passion for the game / drive) is exemplified in his game.


Last edited by 5RingsAndABeer: 05-04-2013 at 08:01 PM.
5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  #334
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Come on Bruins fans. I know you don't watch the WC much, but Hall is just a much much better player than Seguin.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
  #335
kpyarb
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
I would say that Peter Chiarelli cast his vote on this one a couple of days ago. Taylor Hall is a much better professional.

kpyarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:11 PM
  #336
AuraSphere
Registered User
 
AuraSphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Taylor Hall is much better than Seguin... his talents are just hidden under a crappy team full of rookies.

Put him on a team like boston and he'd **** all over seguin lol

AuraSphere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
  #337
croutonsinmysalad
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Taylor Hall is much better than Seguin... his talents are just hidden under a crappy team full of rookies.

Put him on a team like boston and he'd **** all over seguin lol
Yeah, but Seguin wasn't given the same opportunity Hall got. Seguin didn't get to play in his natural position, and he wasn't given a crap load of ice time to find his game and what not. I still think it's too early to tell who's better, but as of now, I agree, I think Hall's the better player.

croutonsinmysalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
  #338
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,684
vCash: 500
Taylor Hall.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
  #339
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
It's going to be cool seeing these two play each other more often now

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
  #340
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,648
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpyarb View Post
I would say that Peter Chiarelli cast his vote on this one a couple of days ago. Taylor Hall is a much better professional.
Agreed. While Eriksson is a great piece, you rarely trade away a 21-year old drafted that high on a long-term deal.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  #341
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,632
vCash: 500
Hall.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
  #342
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,802
vCash: 500
I can't wait for the first DAL vs EDM game this season.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
  #343
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
Yeah, but Seguin wasn't given the same opportunity Hall got. Seguin didn't get to play in his natural position, and he wasn't given a crap load of ice time to find his game and what not. I still think it's too early to tell who's better, but as of now, I agree, I think Hall's the better player.
Whats interesting for me is that for years all we heard was that Seguin was being developed properly in Boston unlike Edmonton who just threw Hall on the ice...

I hope Dallas coaching staff can point him in the right direction, cause even just by watching him play and not even looking at stats, so far he hasnt developed as well as Hall at all... Tyler looks to have regressed. I dont know wtf happend to his hockey sense..

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:05 AM
  #344
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Seguin

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:18 AM
  #345
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty
 
Gritzky98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
well see if Seguin can get his **** together, as of right now its Hall by far.

Taylor Hall and a bunch of other players party all the time, its when it starts effecting your performance on the ice when it gets bad.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:33 AM
  #346
BackhandToeyJoey
Registered User
 
BackhandToeyJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I can't wait for the first DAL vs EDM game this season.
This! I can't wait for games like this. Also having Yak play against Gally next seas is going to be sick!

BackhandToeyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  #347
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 738
It's funny I looked back at THN's draft preview for that year and they said Hall may be the one with the attitude problem.

One is about to be named captain of his team, the other got traded at 21.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
  #348
jcarbone
Registered User
 
jcarbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Right now it's Taylor Hall no contest.

Seguins finally going to get the opportunity to be the one of the main go to guys with Dallas... no more, he was playing behind player x and y excuse.
After this year if he doesn't produce close to what Hall has than I don't believe he ever will.

jcarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
  #349
RedWingsForPresident
Registered User
 
RedWingsForPresident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
I don't know how Taylor Hall has more votes than Tyler Seguin.

I love how people say he's been the better player lately. Yeah, that's because Seguin was actually in the Stanley Cup Final in a slump. Hall has never made the playoffs to show us what he can do. Seguin already has a Cup, Hall has yet to make the playoffs

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
  #350
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,920
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I don't know how Taylor Hall has more votes than Tyler Seguin.

I love how people say he's been the better player lately. Yeah, that's because Seguin was actually in the Stanley Cup Final in a slump. Hall has never made the playoffs to show us what he can do. Seguin already has a Cup, Hall has yet to make the playoffs
So..let's do an experiment.

Put Sidney Crosby on the Flames.

Now put Matt Stajan on the Bruins.

Bruins make the playoffs. Flames fail miserably.

Stajan >>> Crosby.

That's how silly your comparison sounds. Being on a better team does not make Seguin a better player. Bruins would easily make the playoffs without Seguin.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.