HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

3 years later, Taylor Hall Vs. Tyler Seguin

View Poll Results: Tyler Vs Taylor
Taylor Hall 449 58.09%
Tyler Seguin 324 41.91%
Voters: 773. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
That's why I think they'll be close in the future, I think Seguin can play like that over more games. Hopefully this year was Seguin's sophomore slump.
So you think Seguins better becasue you think he can play the way he did for the ~15 game span when he's only played that way for ~15 games? Thats some interesting logic.

Quote:
Why do you think it's mostly Oiler fans that start these threads
Better question is why do you think mostly Oiler fans start these threads when they dont?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Mainehockey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
So you think Seguins better becasue you think he can play the way he did for the ~15 game span when he's only played that way for ~15 games? Thats some interesting logic.

Better question is why do you think mostly Oiler fans start these threads when they dont?
Like a swiss watch.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1419223

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1342347

Ya know, the thread that you are currently posting in.
And Oiler fans flock to threads like these because ya know, Hall plays for the Oilers. Shocking that Oiler fans would post in a thread about an Oiler.

I don't know who will be better in their respective primes, it'll probably be close either way due to Seguin having tons of untapped potential but there is absolutely no question that Hall has been the superior player thus far in their respective careers and that gap has widened this season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Cawz

Quote:
You didnt answer my question. You instead posted "one" thread, that didnt even exist when you originally posted.

Just admit that you assumed Oilers fans make most of these threads and were wrong. It'll show character if you can admit that.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
I didn't say I'd pick Seguin because he's played more playoff games. I'd pick him because of the potential Bruins fans see in him.

I'm saying that both players are good players and I find it funny that Oilers fans have to make their guy sound better because they have nothing else to cheer for, like the playoffs. Why do you think it's mostly Oiler fans that start these threads and post in them militantly.
I don't think they have to make Hall "sound better". I think he IS better.

The funny thing is that when the Bruins drafted Seguin, Bruins fans were very anti-Kessel. Hated his attitude, hated his style of play, hated that he wanted more money. And I'm not saying that they were in any way wrong. But the thing is, that before most of them ever even saw Tyler Seguin play a game, they were convinced he was the anti-Kessel. He was "hard working", "high hockey iq", a "team player" "good all around" "positive attitude".

They so convinced themselves of this that they ignored things like repeated sleeping late and blowing off team meetings (and giving an obvious false excuse for one), timid board play, lack of growth as a player in his 3rd season, partying and celebrating a little too much, not using his teammates enough, not divsersifying his game.

Seguin has great physical skills, and I think he will be a dynamic player with many very high point total years. He'll be an all star a few times.

But Hall is a different player. I saw it in the OHL and I see it now. Hall is the one that is the "anti-Kessel". He is the one that busts his butt on every shift. He is the one who sacrifices his body for the good of the team to get to the dirty areas. He's everything that Bruins fans wanted Seguin to be.

Now of course his style of play comes with a price, and it's possible that he'll always be a guy who misses some games to injury every year, but he's better than Seguin. Not a knock on the B's since they were picking 2nd, and never had a chance to pick Hall.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I hate the Oilers and I hate Oilers fans, but the answer is Hall, and it's not very close either. He's simply a better player. Seguin is good but he is overrated on this site while Hall is underrated.
I agree with this. The only thing that will keep Hall from being better than Seguin is the (very real) chance of injuries.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:23 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Taylor Hall doesn't have sophomore slumps, he just gets better and better. It was funny because after his first two seasons most of us had him slotted as a pure goal-scorer with 30-40 goal, 80 pt ceiling. Now he's gone out and become a top-10 assist guy in the league.

I've never seen the hype around Hall as a goal-scorer/sniper. He's got a hard shot, but questionable accuracy and ability to get it off in tight quarters. Most of his goals come from banging in rebounds and cleaning up in scrums. Because of this, I always questioned his ability to be that perennial 40+ goal threat that many believed he would be.

But this new-found "play-making" ability is a huge development. I use quotations because he doesn't play-make like a Backstrom/H.Sedin - but it's by pure virtue of his style of play that he accumulates these assists. He backs defenders off his speed, leaving routine drop passes as easy assists for a wide-open linemate. He'll throw pucks at the goal in heavy-scrum times, and someone will eventually track it down and clean up the goal. It's his own brand of play-making, and it's seemingly working well.

That added playmaking element (which he showed in his last year in Windsor, which he attributed to his lower goal-scoring) is really when he's at his best. It's what got him the 1st overall selection back in 2010, and it may be what takes him to that next level.

I used to always believe Seguin was the better player for his propensity to collect both goals and assists. But Hall has clearly taken his game to another level with his ability to do both at a high level.

Hall's the better talent now, and projects to be for a while if he continues to stick to his game and focus on streamlining it.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't think they have to make Hall "sound better". I think he IS better.

The funny thing is that when the Bruins drafted Seguin, Bruins fans were very anti-Kessel. Hated his attitude, hated his style of play, hated that he wanted more money. And I'm not saying that they were in any way wrong. But the thing is, that before most of them ever even saw Tyler Seguin play a game, they were convinced he was the anti-Kessel. He was "hard working", "high hockey iq", a "team player" "good all around" "positive attitude".

They so convinced themselves of this that they ignored things like repeated sleeping late and blowing off team meetings (and giving an obvious false excuse for one), timid board play, lack of growth as a player in his 3rd season, partying and celebrating a little too much, not using his teammates enough, not divsersifying his game.

Seguin has great physical skills, and I think he will be a dynamic player with many very high point total years. He'll be an all star a few times.

But Hall is a different player. I saw it in the OHL and I see it now. Hall is the one that is the "anti-Kessel". He is the one that busts his butt on every shift. He is the one who sacrifices his body for the good of the team to get to the dirty areas. He's everything that Bruins fans wanted Seguin to be.

Now of course his style of play comes with a price, and it's possible that he'll always be a guy who misses some games to injury every year, but he's better than Seguin. Not a knock on the B's since they were picking 2nd, and never had a chance to pick Hall.
Beautiful post.

I loved the Hall pick but I had some reservations about the reasoning that the Oilers gave in picking Hall over Seguin. I now see that their reasoning (i.e. Hall's passion for the game / drive) is exemplified in his game.

Last edited by 5RingsAndABeer: 05-04-2013 at 08:01 PM.
5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:39 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Come on Bruins fans. I know you don't watch the WC much, but Hall is just a much much better player than Seguin.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
kpyarb
Rookie User

I would say that Peter Chiarelli cast his vote on this one a couple of days ago. Taylor Hall is a much better professional.

kpyarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:11 PM
AuraSphere

Taylor Hall is much better than Seguin... his talents are just hidden under a crappy team full of rookies.

Put him on a team like boston and he'd **** all over seguin lol

AuraSphere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
croutonsinmysalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Taylor Hall is much better than Seguin... his talents are just hidden under a crappy team full of rookies.

Put him on a team like boston and he'd **** all over seguin lol
Yeah, but Seguin wasn't given the same opportunity Hall got. Seguin didn't get to play in his natural position, and he wasn't given a crap load of ice time to find his game and what not. I still think it's too early to tell who's better, but as of now, I agree, I think Hall's the better player.

croutonsinmysalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

Taylor Hall.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
bsmith14

It's going to be cool seeing these two play each other more often now

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpyarb View Post
I would say that Peter Chiarelli cast his vote on this one a couple of days ago. Taylor Hall is a much better professional.
Agreed. While Eriksson is a great piece, you rarely trade away a 21-year old drafted that high on a long-term deal.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Hall.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
TrillMike

I can't wait for the first DAL vs EDM game this season.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
Yeah, but Seguin wasn't given the same opportunity Hall got. Seguin didn't get to play in his natural position, and he wasn't given a crap load of ice time to find his game and what not. I still think it's too early to tell who's better, but as of now, I agree, I think Hall's the better player.
Whats interesting for me is that for years all we heard was that Seguin was being developed properly in Boston unlike Edmonton who just threw Hall on the ice...

I hope Dallas coaching staff can point him in the right direction, cause even just by watching him play and not even looking at stats, so far he hasnt developed as well as Hall at all... Tyler looks to have regressed. I dont know wtf happend to his hockey sense..

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Seguin

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

well see if Seguin can get his **** together, as of right now its Hall by far.

Taylor Hall and a bunch of other players party all the time, its when it starts effecting your performance on the ice when it gets bad.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:33 AM
BackhandToeyJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I can't wait for the first DAL vs EDM game this season.
This! I can't wait for games like this. Also having Yak play against Gally next seas is going to be sick!

BackhandToeyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
It's funny I looked back at THN's draft preview for that year and they said Hall may be the one with the attitude problem.

One is about to be named captain of his team, the other got traded at 21.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
jcarbone

Right now it's Taylor Hall no contest.

Seguins finally going to get the opportunity to be the one of the main go to guys with Dallas... no more, he was playing behind player x and y excuse.
After this year if he doesn't produce close to what Hall has than I don't believe he ever will.

jcarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
RedWingsForPresident

I don't know how Taylor Hall has more votes than Tyler Seguin.

I love how people say he's been the better player lately. Yeah, that's because Seguin was actually in the Stanley Cup Final in a slump. Hall has never made the playoffs to show us what he can do. Seguin already has a Cup, Hall has yet to make the playoffs

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I don't know how Taylor Hall has more votes than Tyler Seguin.

I love how people say he's been the better player lately. Yeah, that's because Seguin was actually in the Stanley Cup Final in a slump. Hall has never made the playoffs to show us what he can do. Seguin already has a Cup, Hall has yet to make the playoffs
So..let's do an experiment.

Put Sidney Crosby on the Flames.

Now put Matt Stajan on the Bruins.

Bruins make the playoffs. Flames fail miserably.

Stajan >>> Crosby.

That's how silly your comparison sounds. Being on a better team does not make Seguin a better player. Bruins would easily make the playoffs without Seguin.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote