HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Emery has signed a 1-yr deal for $1.65m. Will wear #29. (updates in post #1)

Old
07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well the reason he faced an onslaught was because he had basically an AHL defense in front of him and the forwards were taking more chances with a goalie back there that could actually bail them out.

If you at the shot totals between him & Bryz during that final stretch it's pretty obvious they were sheltering Bryz.

I'm not really sold on either as a starter but at least they come cheap.
Oh all of a sudden they decided to shelter bryz but threw a new goalie with a horrendous past 3 years to the wolves? I just don't think things are that well thought out. I think they played the best they could every game and were the same the last couple years with all these injuries, inconsistent as hell defensively. I just don't buy that they were more "confident" with mason right off the bat like that. and if they were they still played like crap defensively. I just hope we clean it up a little. players like schenn figured it out at the end tho. there's a misconception that because a team is getting overpowered in terms of controlling the play that they suck defensively, a lot of it has to do with coverage and reading the play which was were we've been weak. but this will be the third year most of these guys have been together and adding streit should help considering his ability to control with patience. hopefully.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:21 PM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Oh all of a sudden they decided to shelter bryz but threw a new goalie with a horrendous past 3 years to the wolves? I just don't think things are that well thought out. I think they played the best they could every game and were the same the last couple years with all these injuries, inconsistent as hell defensively. I just don't buy that they were more "confident" with mason right off the bat like that. and if they were they still played like crap defensively. I just hope we clean it up a little. players like schenn figured it out at the end tho. there's a misconception that because a team is getting overpowered in terms of controlling the play that they suck defensively, a lot of it has to do with coverage and reading the play which was were we've been weak. but this will be the third year most of these guys have been together and adding streit should help considering his ability to control with patience. hopefully.

I guess its a shame we had to win so many at the end. Could of cost us the number 5 pick which was Nurse or Risk...But the objective is to always win and not be a tanking Pens team..lol

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:32 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
I guess its a shame we had to win so many at the end. Could of cost us the number 5 pick which was Nurse or Risk...But the objective is to always win and not be a tanking Pens team..lol
true dat

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:04 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Homer done good!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Given some of the things people have Giroux on record as saying, I'd bet he had some influence or at least made it known he'd like Emery back here.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:54 PM
3Fs

Mason/Emery

Now can battle it out. Each play half the games this season. Whoever has the better numbers, will be the playoff starter and more than likely signed as the number one for next year.....imo

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:47 AM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Mason/Emery

Now can battle it out. Each play half the games this season. Whoever has the better numbers, will be the playoff starter and more than likely signed as the number one for next year.....imo
I agree. But for the long-term it would be benefical if Mason comes out of it as the new number one.

He's younger and has no injury history (Emery/hip).

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:53 AM
DoobeeDoobeeDoo
The Doobster

vCash: 533
Not a bad pickup for the Flyers, especially for that price.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Hollywood163

Quote:
Mason/Emery

Sorry for the intrusion guys.

But, Does anyone else think that Holmgren is just riding out this season with Mason and Emery with the hopes that Henrik Lundqvist will make it to UFA next off season?

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post

But, Does anyone else think that Holmgren is just riding out this season with Mason and Emery with the hopes that Henrik Lundqvist will make it to UFA next off season?
he is definitely keeping his options open, but I doubt he expects Lundy to become a UFA

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:01 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
he is definitely keeping his options open, but I doubt he expects Lundy to become a UFA
why would Lundqvist stay in New York?

Sather has continually shown that he can't put together a SC team. He's had arguably the best goalie in the world on his team for 8 seasons and all he has to show for it is 1 CF appearance.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left. Not saying he would come here though.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Curufinwe

Lundqvist will be crazy expensive.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Lundqvist will be crazy expensive.
and worth every penny.

i love his fight.

there is no other goalie currently playing i would rather have

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
hockeyfreak7

I wonder how the market would react to Lundqvist hitting UFA. Would teams dump their goalies to pick him up? What's the closest UFA goalie comparable to ever reach UFA? I can't remember any all star free agent goalies. Maybe my memory is just bad.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Lundqvist is the BEST goaltender in the world; not anything like the fake that is Ilya Bryzgalov.

However, I would shy away from contracts like the one he's going to get.

I'd rather run with Mason and Emery, figure out who's best, and go for an extension at a moderate raise.

I'm not interested in vet goalies on big money contracts at all.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I wonder how the market would react to Lundqvist hitting UFA. Would teams dump their goalies to pick him up? What's the closest UFA goalie comparable to ever reach UFA? I can't remember any all star free agent goalies. Maybe my memory is just bad.
In the cap era? I can't think of any comparable off the top of my head. Bryz got himself a nice ransom, but I don't recall many people seriously considering him to be truly superior to Lundqvist at the time. I certainly didn't.

07-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Larry44

Quote:

I don't think it's going to get that far. If Hank wants to stay in NYC, he will.

I think Homer is hoping that Mason will come all the way back to rookie form and be our No. 1. Emery will get a chance too, and more games. That Emery and Mason are friends who've been working out together for the last couple summers helps. It'll be more friendly competition than cutthroat. In an ideal world, the Flyers have a great year, good playoff run, and both of them sign 3 year deals....

Whatever happens, there is a lot going on next summer. I think Vancouver will be forced to buy Luongo out. He's not happy having to go back, so I expect he'll play great until the Olympics to see if he can get an invite back, then suck after that, forcing the buyout.

Lundqvist, Luongo, Miller, Halak, Hiller. There are 5 good UFA goalies, maybe available next summer - and that's just off the top of my head, haven't even looked yet.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
In the cap era? I can't think of any comparable off the top of my head. Bryz got himself a nice ransom, but I don't recall many people seriously considering him to be truly superior to Lundqvist at the time. I certainly didn't.
Bryzgalov never even made it to UFA ( ).

But, yeah, it would definitely be interesting to see what happens with Lundqvist. Reaching UFA could really shake the ground a little bit. He's going to get a huge deal no matter what

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:44 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
First crack at responding to all the moves made in the last 10 days...

I'm not very comfortable with the goalie tandem, but it's probably the best case scenario. Both goalies are on one year contracts and are looking to prove themselves; if neither guy can hack it in the number one spot, the Flyers can move in a different direction next year.

07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

So would 28 other teams, except for maybe LA and NSH. A goalie of Hank's caliber becomes available, any deals or promises you have with a current goalie go out the window, and you try and get him.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:24 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Honestly, I don't see Lundqvist hitting free agency. I think New York will just give him a blank check and just say put whatever amount you want.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't think it's going to get that far. If Hank wants to stay in NYC, he will.

I think Homer is hoping that Mason will come all the way back to rookie form and be our No. 1. Emery will get a chance too, and more games. That Emery and Mason are friends who've been working out together for the last couple summers helps. It'll be more friendly competition than cutthroat. In an ideal world, the Flyers have a great year, good playoff run, and both of them sign 3 year deals....

Whatever happens, there is a lot going on next summer. I think Vancouver will be forced to buy Luongo out. He's not happy having to go back, so I expect he'll play great until the Olympics to see if he can get an invite back, then suck after that, forcing the buyout.

Lundqvist, Luongo, Miller, Halak, Hiller. There are 5 good UFA goalies, maybe available next summer - and that's just off the top of my head, haven't even looked yet.
Crawford is also a potential UFA at the end of the upcoming season. This is the point I wanted to make; Lundqvist would be the biggest of a pretty deep list of goalie UFAs. The 1-year deals for both Mason and Emery is a great scenario that gives all sorts of flexibility to Holmgren.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Codith

If one of the two can show they can be a true #1 here, I'm sure we will reciprocate that, if they don't, and someone like Henrik becomes available, Snider will drive a truck full of gold bars up to his house. 8-9 mil per year, this is where I see it going, and I'd give that to him in a flash.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Bryzgalov never even made it to UFA ( ).

But, yeah, it would definitely be interesting to see what happens with Lundqvist. Reaching UFA could really shake the ground a little bit. He's going to get a huge deal no matter what
Ah yes, that's true.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
NYR will have a fun next season, they have 40M with no goalies, 2 d-men, 3 forwards signed.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote