HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MIN] Wild sign Matt Cooke (3 years, $2.5MM AAV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 01:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i've been through several stages of grief since the signing and now i'm okay with it.

Old
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
DocAzura

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukan View Post

People on this forum are brutal. The guys been a clean player for the last 2 years, forgive and forget..
Let’s get something straight…

Cooke has calmed down over the last couple of years, but it isn’t because he’s “reformed”. I mean it’s not like he went to a therapist and got some much needed psychiatric help.
He was simply told; stop the B.S. or you’re out.

When you’re in your adult age, and you don’t understand that your actions literally almost crippled other human beings, you’re never going to get it.

It’s too late for change, now he’s in control mode.

And that’s the messed up part about Cooke…he’s has to stop and think before deciding, “should I cripple or shouldn’t I.”

So please people, stop this “he’s a changed man” crap.

As for the forgive or forget, easy to say when it’s not your career he ruined.

I just feel sorry for his kids.

Old
07-07-2013, 04:16 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
Let’s get something straight…

Cooke has calmed down over the last couple of years, but it isn’t because he’s “reformed”. I mean it’s not like he went to a therapist and got some much needed psychiatric help.
He was simply told; stop the B.S. or you’re out.

When you’re in your adult age, and you don’t understand that your actions literally almost crippled other human beings, you’re never going to get it.

It’s too late for change, now he’s in control mode.

And that’s the messed up part about Cooke…he’s has to stop and think before deciding, “should I cripple or shouldn’t I.”

So please people, stop this “he’s a changed man” crap.

As for the forgive or forget, easy to say when it’s not your career he ruined.

I just feel sorry for his kids.
oh well isn't that touching...

you have no clue how he is as a person outside of hockey, so drop the act of concern for his family. it would be like me saying "Marchand/Bertuzzi/Scott Stevens would be an absolutely terrible father."

if it's that hard for you to separate someone's on-ice personality from their off-ice personality, then you probably shouldn't be the one feigning concern for that someone's family.

Old
07-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line

Pretty decent replacement of Clutterbuck. I wouldn't be happy as a Minnesota fan, but he's an effective player and if he plays clean it'll be a good signing.

Old
07-07-2013, 04:32 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
oh well isn't that touching...

you have no clue how he is as a person outside of hockey, so drop the act of concern for his family. it would be like me saying "Marchand/Bertuzzi/Scott Stevens would be an absolutely terrible father."

if it's that hard for you to separate someone's on-ice personality from their off-ice personality, then you probably shouldn't be the one feigning concern for that someone's family.
Let’s talk about his off ice personality for a moment…

I can’t remember ever hearing of a player confronting a senior citizen after a game, because he didn’t like what he said about him, can you?

But you’re right, who am I to judge.

Personally, I’m glad my dad never INTENTIONALLY ruined someone’s life for nothing.

But that’s just me.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Let’s talk about his off ice personality for a moment…

I can’t remember ever hearing of a player confronting a senior citizen after a game, because he didn’t like what he said about him, can you?

But you’re right, who am I to judge.

Personally, I’m glad my dad never INTENTIONALLY ruined someone’s life for nothing.

But that’s just me.
Serious question: how long have you been watching hockey? If you have been watching for a while, and have likely seen a number of guys' careers derailed from hits, questionable or otherwise, what distinguishes Matt Cooke from the rest of his ilk who have ben playing the game, like, forever?

I find the drama and the frothy, hyperventilating, faux indignation a little over the top and borderline disingenuous. I get it if you're a Boston fan, fanning Cooke hate is a cottage industry there, but for others, it just seems weird to me.

Anyway, he's a very useful player who happens to be a tool. The league is loaded with 'em.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's Mario going to say when Cooke severs Sid throats with a karate kick in a corner.....

Old
07-07-2013, 05:52 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Good signing. Was hoping for the leafs to grab him. Hope he can keep his game in check and play some good hockey for you guys! You should all be excited to have this guy on your team!

Old
07-07-2013, 06:04 PM
2ka RasK
Fight Tyranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Serious question: how long have you been watching hockey? If you have been watching for a while, and have likely seen a number of guys' careers derailed from hits, questionable or otherwise, what distinguishes Matt Cooke from the rest of his ilk who have ben playing the game, like, forever?

I find the drama and the frothy, hyperventilating, faux indignation a little over the top and borderline disingenuous. I get it if you're a Boston fan, fanning Cooke hate is a cottage industry there, but for others, it just seems weird to me.

Anyway, he's a very useful player who happens to be a tool. The league is loaded with 'em.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's Mario going to say when Cooke severs Sid throats with a karate kick in a corner.....

Quote-

"I find the drama and the frothy, hyperventilating, faux indignation a little over the top and borderline disingenuous."

From your lips to Crosby and Lemieux's ears.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:06 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ka RasK View Post
Quote-

"I find the drama and the frothy, hyperventilating, faux indignation a little over the top and borderline disingenuous."

From your lips to Crosby and Lemieux's ears.
thanks for that very important contribution to the discussion.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
The day will come I predict that I come to hate the Minnesota Wild and Matt Cooke will be a part of that.

I suppose that's one way of saying this is a good signing for them.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:18 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEezyE22 View Post
Yeah, the misconduct that was bought by a guy playing dead.
Now what if he were dead? or been wheeled off to the hospital?--would Cooke have deserved that misconduct then?

Thinking about it--it's too bad Cooke didn't sign with my team--the Rangers. I would really look forward to games between your team and mine then. I'd be all ready with all kinds of pithy remarks such as--'It was an accident!'--'nothing more than a 2 minute penalty'--'that guy was faking'--'he's a really good guy-he gives to charities'--'best third line winger in the game'--'you don't know what he's really like'--'he's cleaned up his act'--'look he only missed a couple shifts-then I'm not sure what happened to him-but he did come back for a minute or two'--all kinds of **** like that.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisab123 View Post
Going to be sweet to see him get a season long suspension sometime during this deal. He doesn't have Super Mario protecting him anymore. Eff Matt Cooke
I wonder what players in the West cooke will attack first ? Watch your heads and knees.

Oh...Sid...you have to play them too. Keep your head up because cooke will be looking for you.

cooke should have been thrown out of the NHL a long time ago.

Oh...and he has not reformed...Just ask Karlsson....accident...yeah sure. cooke has too many accidents.

I am happy he is no longer in the East.

Last edited by Ladyfan: 07-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old
07-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Matt Cooke is raw. That fool makes some questionable hits sometimes but the dude can play.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:34 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post

I’ve been a hockey fan for over 30 years. So I know Cooke ain’t the first, nor will he be the last.

Is Cooke the dirtiest player in history, of course not. And I never stated that.
Is he a dirty player, YES HE IS.

I’ve never started any drama on this site.

My attitude on this whole subject is a very simple one: kids make mistakes, no matter how big, they should be forgiven, it’s part of the growing process. Adults make mistakes too, but they should know better. And if they repeat said mistake, then it’s a character issue, not a mistake.

And that’s wear my beef stems from; not his hits, but this idea that after playing more than a decade, and being in his 30’s, NOW he get’s it, and he’s born again, and fans should forgive and forget.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

1M too much IMO.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Dany Heatley and now Matt Cooke? Looks like the Wild aren't going to win any popularity contests in the new division next year.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Griffin6612

Love the Wild Jerseys that spell out Minnesota, maybe Ill have a reason to buy one now. So man people are over reacting about this signing.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEezyE22 View Post
Yeah, the misconduct that was bought by a guy playing dead.
Or a blatant high speed check from behind.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:03 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
I’ve been a hockey fan for over 30 years. So I know Cooke ain’t the first, nor will he be the last.

Is Cooke the dirtiest player in history, of course not. And I never stated that.
Is he a dirty player, YES HE IS.

I’ve never started any drama on this site.

My attitude on this whole subject is a very simple one: kids make mistakes, no matter how big, they should be forgiven, it’s part of the growing process. Adults make mistakes too, but they should know better. And if they repeat said mistake, then it’s a character issue, not a mistake.

And that’s wear my beef stems from; not his hits, but this idea that after playing more than a decade, and being in his 30’s, NOW he get’s it, and he’s born again, and fans should forgive and forget.
Since you do believe that people can grow and develop, then you should agree that it is possible.

People can change and grow of all ages, not just people under 23.5.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Since you do believe that people can grow and develop, then you should agree that it is possible.

People can change and grow of all ages, not just people under 23.5.
I can certainly agree that old dogs can learn new tricks, but we’re not talking about maturity in Cooke’s case.

Think about this; someone had to tell him to stop trying to hurt people!!!

Now if I read somewhere that he entered some type of anger management program, then I’d listen.

Matt’s “change” came down to just making sure he keeps getting a pay check.

I don’t believe he learned a thing.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
I can certainly agree that old dogs can learn new tricks, but we’re not talking about maturity in Cooke’s case.

Think about this; someone had to tell him to stop trying to hurt people!!!

Now if I read somewhere that he entered some type of anger management program, then I’d listen.

Matt’s “change” came down to just making sure he keeps getting a pay check.

I don’t believe he learned a thing.
Some believe different.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

It's okay to drop the gloves and try to knock a person unconcious by pounding them in the head/face with your fists, but not to make a hit during actual play that ends up getting a player hurt by a shoulder to the head. Makes sense.

This entire "no head shots" thing is a joke when players never get suspended for repeatedly punching another person in the head during a stoppage in play. Can't have your cake and eat it too, hypocrites.

The Savard hit was perfectly legal under the rules at the time. I guess anybody who has ever fought during a hockey game is a piece of trash and a horrible human being for attempting to hurt somebody for no good reason.

Cooke is a good player, he helps their team.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Hobodrifter

Wild got a really good third liner, excellent PKer, and someone that never takes a shift off. Look past the trendy indignation from fans of a few teams. The guy has been clean for two years. As long as he keeps his head on straight he will be a very valuable player.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:08 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

you guys are so dramatic

Old
07-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Some of you take your hockey pretty seriously, no?

Closed Thread