HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Name Subban next captain of the Canadiens

View Poll Results: Should PK Subban be the next Canadiens captain?
Yes, he would be a good choice as captain 67 31.75%
No, he is not the ideal choice 144 68.25%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Name Subban next captain of the Canadiens

There is little doubt that PK Subban is not a big game player. Everyone knows he is clutch and has proven that on multiple occasions. He cares about the Habs and grew up a fan of the team. PK is hungry for glory and ambitious. He wants to win the Stanley Cup and has the personality and skills to will his team to victories.

Why not name him the next captain of the Habs? For one it would probably make his next contract slightly cheaper. For two, you know he will not only be able to handle it, but embrace it. I fully believe that he would take his game to an even higher level because of the responsibility.

No question there will be many of you who disagree with this notion for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he has been accused of being a selfish player; secondly, he has been accused as someone who has a tough time listening to coaches; and thirdly, some may feel that there are better options, ie: Gorges, Pacioretty, etc.

Some players are just born leaders. People who find losing to be unacceptable. I have noticed some aspects of 'sore loser-ness' in his game and personality; however, that to me just means that he hates losing -- therefore, by process of elimination, someone who also loves winning.

Moreover, he has an unbelievable commitment to physical fitness, a sign of a true professional.

He embraces the craziness of the Montreal fanbase and arguably thrives in it. That takes a special person -- someone who can handle the pressure and the scrutiny of being the Habs captain.

So: what say you? Do you think he is the best choice OBJECTIVELY to be the Montreal Canadiens next captain, or not?

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:58 AM
dutchy29

Maybe a few years down the road, but i feel he needs to mature a bit first, IMO

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Physical Ed

He's probably the last player on the team that should be named captain. He's shelfish and He's nowhere close to being a leader. Imagine Gorges, Gionta and Markov's face when They would learn that He's capitain.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised If He's not a Hab in a few years !

Physical Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:08 AM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Ed View Post
He's probably the last player on the team that should be named captain. He's shelfish and He's nowhere close to being a leader. Imagine Gorges, Gionta and Markov's face when They would learn that He's capitain.

Over exaggeration, much? How can we forget, Subban should act like a drone and a robot......

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:08 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:

To answer your answer OP- He will be, in time. When Markov's/Gionta's contracts expire, and he's 26-30 and dominating the league.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:20 AM
prairie hab

I am thinking Brendan Gallagher will one day be the Habs captain.

No to PK. Too much drama around him. Love him as a player however.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Not yet.

And what was up with that tirade on Paccioretty on the bench? He needs to cut that crap out. Let him mature and then revisit this question in a few years. Definitely not now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wow I'm extremely offended now

1-Not only P.K. should be named the next Captain but what the .... do you know about P.K. being either close or nowhere close of being a leader?? are you in the locker room daily to see him act????

2-Wtf! do we care of Gorges, Gionta's or Markov's faces if they learn that he's been named the captain....Are Gorges and/or Markov Norris Winners?? Is Gionta and Markov even going to be here in 2 years???

Subban is the leader of this team, our young talented players love him... Eller Loves him...MB and Michel Therrien they love him.

I'v seen Subban mature year after year... No doubt hes ready to be the captain.

But I personally would recommend him to secure his new Mega contract first and then wear the C.

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:54 AM
No Team Needed

He should be the spokesman for the NHL.

I kind of see Brandon Prust as the guy they would want to put the C on. Markov refused it and likely would again. I don't think as a team they'd pick Subban as the next captain only because they know how much drama gets created not by Subban but by people who aren't fans of his style of game.

To me it's like when Montreal made Chelios a co-captain.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:09 AM
andy28

I like Subban. He is an awesome guy. He is passionate. He is a good player. But I think he is too young. I could definitely see it when he gets to be 28 or so.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Well, Subban gives fine interviews, so he got the speaking skills. But I've had a soft spot for Pacioretty being the eventual captain.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

I to think that PK has a bit more maturing to do before he gets a letter. However, my personal views of what a captain should be makes me feel that PK should get, and deserves, an A. Nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, I love PK. He's one of my favorite players. I just don't think he would be a great captain.

Pricenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:37 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Wow I'm extremely offended now

1-Not only P.K. should be named the next Captain but what the .... do you know about P.K. being either close or nowhere close of being a leader?? are you in the locker room daily to see him act????
He's probably a l'Antichambre subscriber and passionate reader of P.J. Stocks's diaries. Either that or he's a very avid JournalDeMontreal.com commenter who still thinks that Subban is the most cancerous thing in the NHL today.

Keep that up, Ed! A couple of more years and your analysis will be as pertinent as Rejean Tremblay's.

kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:03 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Jagr IMO

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

He's not captain material, Gallagher is way more a better candidate i my honest opinion.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:19 AM
Noldo

Rocket was fiery competitor that hated to lose (some say even moren than he loved to win), but perhaps also for that reason he was never the captain of those great Habs.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
He's probably a l'Antichambre subscriber and passionate reader of P.J. Stocks's diaries. Either that or he's a very avid JournalDeMontreal.com commenter who still thinks that Subban is the most cancerous thing in the NHL today.

Keep that up, Ed! A couple of more years and your analysis will be as pertinent as Rejean Tremblay's.
If, after what transpired last summer, do you really think Subban is going to be the Hab's captain anytime soon?

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:37 AM
HockeyF3ind

Not that i have an alternative, but I think that would be a bad idea. PK doesn't need the pressure.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:52 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If, after what transpired last summer, do you really think Subban is going to be the Hab's captain anytime soon?
Did I say that Subban was in the mold of a captain? Pretty sure, I didn't. Was just pointing out that Subban's not close to being the cancer SOME people make him out to be.

And what do you mean by ''after what transpired last summer''?

Old
07-08-2013, 04:24 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Did I say that Subban was in the mold of a captain? Pretty sure, I didn't. Was just pointing out that Subban's not close to being the cancer SOME people make him out to be.

And what do you mean by ''after what transpired last summer''?
You chose someone's post who definitely thinks PK should be captain, how else should I interpret it?

If management lowballs PK, aren't bothered by him sitting out and tell him what they want to see from him and now a few months later people here think management and the coaching staff are going to make him captain, well that's not what I think is likely to happen.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:33 AM
PricePkPatch

I think he is made of the right stuff, and is high enough profile for it.

I'd rather we wait until he's about 28. Not necessarily a question of maturity, but one of understanding men and teammates. He wants so much to be the one to spearhead the team's effort to victory, it's just a thing about learning what to do, when to do it.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:18 AM
25get

Let's wait another year and revisit.
For now, Gionta is fine.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Genesis76

Captain is about showing the example and lead by example on the ice

P.K. is a superstar, gives everything on the ice game after game, a Norris winner, Team Canada Gold Medalist.

P.K. is also leading his younger brothers to become just as good as him and it pays off...both of them have been drafted and are seriously training just like him.

P.K has personal life experience in being a leader and hes a superstar what more do you need to be convinced??

like for real it's pathetic

Old
07-08-2013, 05:23 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
You chose someone's post who definitely thinks PK should be captain, how else should I interpret it?
That was mah bad. Was agreeing with Genesis76's point that some people just aren't in position to judge P.K.'s character since they're not in the locker room with him. Nowhere near a captain yet, though, for sure.

Quote:
If management lowballs PK, aren't bothered by him sitting out and tell him what they want to see from him and now a few months later people here think management and the coaching staff are going to make him captain, well that's not what I think is likely to happen.
It was more of a case of P.K. following his agent's suggestion to wait out in order to, possibly, gain the best contract possible. And Bergy, well, he did the right thing (imo) by holding out and not giving in. It was business more than anything else, and this shouldn't have any impact on P.K.'s potential captaincy or locker room creditentials. Not that I see Subby becoming the captain soon (at least not just yet)...

Old
07-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Genesis76

Quote:
That was mah bad. Was agreeing with Genesis76's point that some people just aren't in position to judge P.K.'s character since they're not in the locker room with him. Nowhere near a captain yet, though, for sure.
By watching the 24ch videos and Subban's play on the Ice i'm pretty confident in P.K.'s ability of becoming a captain... Though I don't think he would get the respect needed from the older players (near retirement i have to insist) to be the captain.