HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Selanne's knee acting up again

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 10:03 PM
broman

vCash: 500
Selanne's knee acting up again

Interviewed over the weekend in various Finnish media, including respected broadsheet Helsingin Sanomat, Selanne said his knee is bothering him again. This is an excerpt of reporting at Finnish Broadcasting Corp's website (www.yle.fi).

"This knee injury, it comes and goes. Now it's once again been troubling me for a while so I have to take it easy, but I don't want to sit out a game no matter what. It is of course frustrating having to give handicap in my best asset, skating."

Selanne hurt his knee in October. At the time he rested for a week and was give cortisone treatment. After Christmas the knee started bothering him once more.

"It is difficult to say what's the nature of the problem. What's for sure is that I am going to take it easy and skip voluntary game day training. I guess I am going to have to rest as much as possible."

According to Selanne, the knee will most likely need to be operated in the summer the latest.

"It is no use doing it now. They will have to operate it in the summer. After that I am going to need a break of two-three months."

Selanne also commented on Colorado's injury problems in general, considering Peter Forsberg has missed 21 games and Paul Kariya 29 so far.

"Every hockey buff knows how games are won in modern hockey: solid defence. Luckily we have so much depth in the team that someone's going to score the important goal. If we are able to elevate our defensive game to equal our opponents, we shouldn't lose a single game, although in real life that's of course impossible."

"I have played most of the season with third and fourth line guys which hasn't been all that easy. I didn't expect this to take place this year. However I will play in the fifth line if that's what it takes to win the championship."

Old
01-04-2004, 10:32 PM
nathan

fifth line?

Old
01-04-2004, 11:18 PM
broman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
fifth line?
I think the quote from TonyG sums it up the best:

"Everyone likes Teemu. Only his jokes are terrible. I guess they work in Finland, but something must get lost in translation. Teemu is one of the best forwards in the league."

Old
01-05-2004, 01:13 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by broman
I think the quote from TonyG sums it up the best:

"Everyone likes Teemu. Only his jokes are terrible. I guess they work in Finland, but something must get lost in translation. Teemu is one of the best forwards in the league."
Or maybe the guy asking about the 5th line comment just did not expect any humor from Teemu?

5th line....of course it's a joke...c'mon.

Old
01-08-2004, 10:04 PM
broman

Talking to another network MTV3, Selanne assures everyone his knee is as good as new. No problems whatsoever. Yeah right, all that coasting and those 14 min games one after another we're just a coincidence. Still, I take it he now considers himself back to 100% again. Now for the evidence in the scoresheet, please.

Old
01-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
I've been wondering about Selane's knee acting up again myself, but I don't trust these foreign media reports. Too many bogus stories, for them to have credibility in my book.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:48 AM
RoyIsALegend*

People have been pretty hard on Teemu Selanne thus far this season, but he's not having that bad of a year when you take into consideration who he's been playing with. He came to Denver with playing with Paul Kariya as the only experience with anybody on this club, and he's had the likes of Andrei Nikolishin, Travis Brigley, Steve Moore and Dan Hinote with him. I know he had some time with Joe Sakic and Steve Konowalchuk, but Selanne deserves consistent time with premier forwards.

He's still third on our team in goals with 11, is tied for the club lead in plus/minus with a +12 and has been shooting the puck; his 106 shots have him fourth on the club. The fact of the matter is that he needs to be playing with a line consistently and I do not think that should be the third line.

I know Tony Granato wants to reward Konowalchuk with some second line ice time, but there is a siginificant talent margin between Selanne and Konowalchuk. Also, Konowalchuk plays on the penalty kill with Nikolishin so why not keep them together at even-strength? Selanne gets powerplay time, but he doesn't even get to play with the PP players regularly to develop any type of chemistry to cash in on those PP opportunities.

Selanne needs to be re-united with Kariya, and vice-versa.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:04 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
People have been pretty hard on Teemu Selanne thus far this season, but he's not having that bad of a year when you take into consideration who he's been playing with. He came to Denver with playing with Paul Kariya as the only experience with anybody on this club, and he's had the likes of Andrei Nikolishin, Travis Brigley, Steve Moore and Dan Hinote with him. I know he had some time with Joe Sakic and Steve Konowalchuk, but Selanne deserves consistent time with premier forwards.

He's still third on our team in goals with 11, is tied for the club lead in plus/minus with a +12 and has been shooting the puck; his 106 shots have him fourth on the club. The fact of the matter is that he needs to be playing with a line consistently and I do not think that should be the third line.

I know Tony Granato wants to reward Konowalchuk with some second line ice time, but there is a siginificant talent margin between Selanne and Konowalchuk. Also, Konowalchuk plays on the penalty kill with Nikolishin so why not keep them together at even-strength? Selanne gets powerplay time, but he doesn't even get to play with the PP players regularly to develop any type of chemistry to cash in on those PP opportunities.

I agree with you, and there is one point I'd like to make about PP. There is nothing more scary than #8 on the left faceoff circle ready to shoot. I know avs have Hejduk and everything, but what Selšnne does from that point, I dont think anyone can match right now. But he needs to be used on PP and on that spot. Thats his "office". If the PK unit is blocking any passes to him (like they should if they have a brain), it opens up more options for others.

Old
01-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

I don't nessecarily think Granato is trying to reward Konowalchuk. I think it's that when he is on that line with Joe, he simplifies things, and it seems to work better since they all know what he's going to do, (work hard in the corners and drive the net) as opposed to when Teemu's on the line, and it gets a little more complicated out there. I think he's also trying to balance out the scoring, by giving us three scoring lines, instead of two. Something Hartley tried to do, which ended up screwing up chemistry, (mostly Tanguay's) and getting himself fired, for a mediocre first half of the season. I agree though, Selanne should be given more time with Sakic, and Kariya so they can build chemistry as a unit. Plus I like the idea of Kono as a third line guy, more than a second line guy, even though he has proved extremely valuable wtih Joe, and is probably responsible for getting Joe out of that slump he was in at the begining of the season.

Also, Selanne may have a lot of shots this year, but it seems like his shot is off or something. They all seem to get stopped, and it seems like he almost never tries to go top shelf, or at least can't get it up that high, when he needs to. Maybe he's just snakebitten, and it's affecting his confidence, and shot selection, but I'd like to see him put some of these great chances he's getting, in the back of the net

Closed Thread