HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 11:27 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
I'm reading the comments on that article and I feel like I'm in a different world. Everyone is so kind and supportive! Every comment is along the lines of "Good news for the Habs! Price is my favorite goalie and I hope him and the Habs do awesome next year!"

...I want to be part of the NHL.com world...

Old
07-07-2013, 11:30 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Mark Fraser went to arbitration, i doubt the Leafs accept his demands. They have to sign Gunnarson and Franzon who both are also filing for arbitration.
They are all group2 restricted free agents and I doubt an arbitrater is going to raise his salary much considering he is a forward with no goals.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:32 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
FWIW, all the acquisitions the habs should make for long term success are by trade.

Guys like Bobby Ryan are guys you need to get, young, big and talented while having chemistry with Pacioretty. I think you won't find them on free agency or will pay too much. The day the habs make shrewd deals we'll see them reach the next level.
Absolutely agree with this. Most teams try to eat into their players UFA years so its not often a good one pops up who is in that 25-27 age, usually a few years older and so, unless you are talking about a D man, past their prime years. Guys who are still pretty good you will pay a lot for since alot of other teams want that guy also, since all you are giving up is money ( cap space ), but not assets.

To make good and helpful trades you need depth, after all it makes no sense if you are weak at center for you to trade your best center, unless its a package for an even better center. All you do is plug one hole and create another. The places we have depth are at PMD and if you take an optimistic view, at center. I say optimistic because Eller is still maturing as he was, for the 1st time for any period of time, given skilled wingers last year. Of course one of his wingers is a guy we look to become our 1st line center, Galchenyuk. With DD as one of our top centers people are rightly nervous at any idea of parting with Plekanec. I like him a lot and would love him staying, but this is about team improvement.

A rumoured trade is Coburn, Talbot and Simmonds for Pleks, Nathan B and Moen. This would be a lope sided trade in the Habs favour so if its really being discussed we would need to add more. But, this is the kind of trade we are looking for. I believe MB is shooting at competing for a Cup in 3-4 years, so guys we trade for or really pony up for as a UFA we must be confident in being good for at least the next 2-4 years, and we also need their contracts to keep them around for at least that long. Coburn is 28,big, has a physical game, signed for 3 more, can produce some points and is a top 3 shut down, crease clearer guy. Defintely address need for big defensive D. Talbot is only 29 and is a bulldog energy guy signed for 3 more years who can play PK. Simmonds is 24 and signed for 5-6 more years, plays a physical game despite his lightish frame, goes to the dirty areas and has enough skill to score 20 plus goals. These guys all would fit into what we need and our time lines. Pleks would be a big loss, Moen is a risk who may or may not get his act together but even if he does, except for size he has nothing on Talbot. Nathan B is our best offensive D prospect ( who looks like he has a physical game to go with his size ) and hes hard to give up, yes, even though he got in a fight, play the violin, big deal. I hate giving up 1st round picks, but if it came to that or the prospect equivalent, this looks like a good trade for us, though there is risk at center.

I agree with MB, UFAs really should be for the smaller pieces to the puzzle to take you over the top, or complementary players as he says. For the big pieces you cant reky on the UFA market, you need to draft and develop your team and make a trade when needed.

Last edited by yianik: 07-07-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: forgot fact
Old
07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
They are all group2 restricted free agents and I doubt an arbitrater is going to raise his salary much considering he is a forward with no goals.
Mark Fraser is a defenseman.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
how about we add cody franson
He is also a group 2 RFA, and his salary would mean giving up at least a 2nd round pick.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:42 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Mark Fraser is a defenseman.
DUH!!! ... yes, of course, sorry ... I was tripping him up with Fraser McLaren.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I hope Montreal is talking to Philly about Coburn. They are cap screwed and it sounds like he's on the block. We could really use this guy. He and Ryan were the two guys I was hoping we'd target. We missed out on Ryan but Coburn's still out there and he'd be a huge addition for us.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
DUH!!! ... yes, of course, sorry ... I was tripping him up with Fraser McLaren.
It's easy to get those two mixed up, although I would pretty suprised if McLaren ever fills for arbitration

Old
07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I hope Montreal is talking to Philly about Coburn. They are cap screwed and it sounds like he's on the block. We could really use this guy. He and Ryan were the two guys I was hoping we'd target. We missed out on Ryan but Coburn's still out there and he'd be a huge addition for us.
There were a lot of rumors about him being dealt to Montreal not so long ago. I really hope it's true this time, he's exactly what we need on the back end. We have more than enough PMD to make up for his lack of speed and puck control

Would probably cost us something around Beaulieu though, to get them interested.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:01 AM
TT1

the more i think about it the more i dont want coburn(unless we get a really good deal) :S, i really dont like his game @ 4.5M

edit: ugh what i would give to have: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=73276
all bias aside i honestly think hes the most underrated defenseman in the game

Last edited by TT1: 07-08-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
the more i think about it the more i dont want coburn(unless we get a really good deal) :S, i really dont like his game @ 4.5M

edit: ugh what i would give to have: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=73276
most underrated defenseman in the game imo
Tanev is really underated.

But as far as established guys - Vlasic and Voynov are probably the two most underrated defenseman around. Maybe Hamonic to round out the top-3.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:22 AM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Tanev is really underated.

But as far as established guys - Vlasic and Voynov are probably the two most underrated defenseman around. Maybe Hamonic to round out the top-3.
agreed
and yea tanev looks really promising aswell

edit: i reaaaaaally like andrew macdonald's game too. my personal top 5 would be vlasic, voynov, macdonald, hamonic, boychuk

Last edited by TT1: 07-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Absolutely agree with this. Most teams try to eat into their players UFA years so its not often a good one pops up who is in that 25-27 age, usually a few years older and so, unless you are talking about a D man, past their prime years. Guys who are still pretty good you will pay a lot for since alot of other teams want that guy also, since all you are giving up is money ( cap space ), but not assets.

To make good and helpful trades you need depth, after all it makes no sense if you are weak at center for you to trade your best center, unless its a package for an even better center. All you do is plug one hole and create another. The places we have depth are at PMD and if you take an optimistic view, at center. I say optimistic because Eller is still maturing as he was, for the 1st time for any period of time, given skilled wingers last year. Of course one of his wingers is a guy we look to become our 1st line center, Galchenyuk. With DD as one of our top centers people are rightly nervous at any idea of parting with Plekanec. I like him a lot and would love him staying, but this is about team improvement.

A rumoured trade is Coburn, Talbot and Simmonds for Pleks, Nathan B and Moen. This would be a lope sided trade in the Habs favour so if its really being discussed we would need to add more. But, this is the kind of trade we are looking for. I believe MB is shooting at competing for a Cup in 3-4 years, so guys we trade for or really pony up for as a UFA we must be confident in being good for at least the next 2-4 years, and we also need their contracts to keep them around for at least that long. Coburn is 28,big, has a physical game, signed for 3 more, can produce some points and is a top 3 shut down, crease clearer guy. Defintely address need for big defensive D. Talbot is only 29 and is a bulldog energy guy signed for 3 more years who can play PK. Simmonds is 24 and signed for 5-6 more years, plays a physical game despite his lightish frame, goes to the dirty areas and has enough skill to score 20 plus goals. These guys all would fit into what we need and our time lines. Pleks would be a big loss, Moen is a risk who may or may not get his act together but even if he does, except for size he has nothing on Talbot. Nathan B is our best offensive D prospect ( who looks like he has a physical game to go with his size ) and hes hard to give up, yes, even though he got in a fight, play the violin, big deal. I hate giving up 1st round picks, but if it came to that or the prospect equivalent, this looks like a good trade for us, though there is risk at center.

I agree with MB, UFAs really should be for the smaller pieces to the puzzle to take you over the top, or complementary players as he says. For the big pieces you cant reky on the UFA market, you need to draft and develop your team and make a trade when needed.

Wut? Except we would finish dead last next season??
Who gets the tough matchups? None of our other centers have proved they can succeed without being sheltered .

Yes maybe Chuckie will in 4-5 years, but I don't have a cristal ball.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post

So we get an overpaid mediocre dman, a 4th line penalty killer, and a PF who can score 20. We give our best forward, a potential top 4 dman who could be a PP QB and will fight, and a 4th line PK'er. You say we win this deal? What planet are you from? Why would Philly want another center? No deal to be had here.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Habitant le colon

Shall we try to give a shot at Talbot for a second round or a 3rd round in 2014 instead of depleting our team prospect??

Shall we sacrifice Diaz to acquire another d-man :

Maybe a latteral move like TJ brodie in CGY, or Matt Irwin in SJ, or Michael Stone in PHO, or Brenden Dillon in Dal ?

or is Mark Fraser in Toronto an option, or veteran Sheldon Brookbank?

There is 3 spot wich 2 are on the d-corp. We also need a real 4th line center. I think MB will correct this before the opening, but I still wonder where our team will finish in our division !!

Old
07-08-2013, 02:38 AM
ChoseLa

Guys, Plek is not going to Philly, they already have Giroux, Lecavalier, Couturier, Schenn and Laughton as centers. It's the last thing they need.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Guys, Plek is not going to Philly, they already have Giroux, Lecavalier, Couturier, Schenn and Laughton as centers. It's the last thing they need.
Thankfully....

He'd be missed much more than most seem to
realize

Old
07-08-2013, 06:56 AM
FieryBergevin
from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Thankfully....

He'd be missed much more than most seem to
realize
don't know why u guys hate Eller so much. I think he's a keeper.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:59 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
I don't think anybody hates him. They just don;t think Eller can fill Plek's shoes just yet

Old
07-08-2013, 07:34 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Oh yes, Eller is certainly hated around these parts

Old
07-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Not sure why people keep repeating this. First, a centerman could come back in the trade. Also, centermen like Couturier, Schenn and Laughton could be implicated in deals that would see some d-men coming in. They could envision themselves, as much he's NOT paid like it, to see Pleks being their 3rd C, with tons of PK time. Needless to say, Giroux, Lecavalier, Pleks, would look great for the top 3C. Yes, it is also a question of dollars, unloading Couturier and/or Schenn and/or Laughton isn't enough to make room for Pleks but unloading Grossman and/or Coburn/ and/or Meszaros would be enough. Who will take those salaries? Well Philly isn't obligated to have equal value in players in some of the trades they could make. I mean, it's not obligated to be us....but what if they want a package involving Pleks and Beaulieu and offer us a package looking like Couturier, Laughton, Mesjaros and 1st round pick? Or separate both their unloading of d-men like Mesjaros and Grossman and some of their younger kids and picks?

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-08-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 07:54 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure why people keep repeating this. First, a centerman could come back in the trade. Also, centermen like Couturier, Schenn and Laughton could be implicated in deals that would see some d-men coming in. They could envision themselves, as much he's NOT paid like it, to see Pleks being their 3rd C, with tons of PK time. Needless to say, Giroux, Lecavalier, Pleks, would look great for the top 3C. Yes, it is also a question of dollars, unloading Couturier and/or Schenn and/or Laughton isn't enough to make room for Schenn but unloading Grossman and/or Coburn/ and/or Meszaros would be enough. Who will take those salaries? Well Philly isn't obligated to have equal value in players in some of the trades they could make. I mean, it's not obligated to be us....but what if they want a package involving Pleks and Beaulieu and offer us a package looking like Couturier, Laughton, Mesjaros and 1st round pick? Or separate both their unloading of d-men like Mesjaros and Grossman and some of their younger kids and picks?
Vinny has been told he is playing Wing on a line with Giroux

Old
07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Vinny has been told he is playing Wing on a line with Giroux
Well that's even more a reason why Plekanec COULD be traded to Philly. He's then sloted #2 behind Giroux.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
CanadiensTalk ‏@HabsTalk11 1h

#Habs still looking at Perron, Stewart, Talbot, Coburn, Kane, Bogosian. That will answer half the questions I'm getting.
Only Stewart, Kane and Bogosian make any sense.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:41 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Only Stewart, Kane and Bogosian make any sense.
this guy reliable at all?

Closed Thread