HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss young guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2013, 06:11 PM
  #176
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
I, somewhere, agree with you (supesonic and stv11) that development of a player can be as good here in Switzerland than in NA. With its pros and cons on both sides of the atlantic.

However, i always feel that for some talents leaving, new ones appear. Already in terms of responsibilities in the teams.

Which leads me to believe that, while on a players specific situation, going to NA could or could not be THE SOLUTION, it remains a big positive for Swiss hockey.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:02 AM
  #177
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Rafik Soliman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Maybe a bit late to the party but I'm with stv on this one. You might say that it's a small sample size still, but look at the best Swiss NHL players. Nothing has changed in the last 10 years, even if a lot more Swiss players are trying their luck in the CHL/AHL now than 10 years ago. Our starplayers all came straight out of Switzerland. Josi, Streit, Hiller, Diaz, Brunner. There is no indication that a player who developed in north america will be a better NHLer than a guy who developped in Switzerland. If he has the talent, he will be in the NHL, otherwise not.
Of course something has changed in the last 10 years... I my mind even a lot... After the Lockout that cancelled the whole 2004-05 NHL-season, the NHL (as we all know) did a major overhaul on their playing rules... And I belive one country that has benfited the most from the rule enforcement is Switzerland... You could say, that the NHL has addapted itself for Swiss-Players to play in... Now I'm not saying, that all your mentioned players are not talented, but I'm pretty sure none of them would have been considered sure-fire NHL-Players in the pre-rule enforcement time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Therefore I also think that it's sad that a player like Andrighetto refuses to play for Geneva so that he can play thirdline minutes in Hamilton, even if there is no guarantee that it will benefit his career. We should wake up and also look for our NLA in our own country. It is still the Swiss junior clubs that give those players the opportunity to play competitive hockey, who teach them how to shoot and skate. But with 16-18 more and more of those players seem to leave for north america. What is the benefit of that? A good player will always be a good player, whether it's in the NHL or in the NLA.
Of course it's sad, that Andrighetto will not play in Switzerland... But again, if his goal is the NHL and the Canadiens want him in a couple of years in their NHL-Team they want him close so they can monitor him (as I mentioned some post above)... Then, there is no indication, that an offensive forward like Sven will play 3rd line... You believe everything a random guy in an internet-forum tells you? As long his coach doesn't tell this, there is nothing that makes me belive crap like this... And then again, who tells you, that Andrighetto would have played another role in Geneva? For god sake, it's Chris McSorley and he will tell you everything that you want to hear as long as he gets your signatur under his contract... You realy believe Dave Sutter was told that he is going to play in Martigny after his sting in Northamerica? No way... McSorley is one of the most smartest hockey-minds in Switzerland, but I would never trust him to far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Would you say Weinhandl is a worse player because he wasn't able to grab a NHL spot?
Weinhandl???? Weinhandl had a serious eye injury even before he could start his NHL-Career... He even made it to the NHL with approx. 10% vision on his left eye... What made you bring up that comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Is Josi a worse player because - the WC showed it - he is an even better player on the big ice as on the small ice? A guy like Zetterberg wasn't worlds better as Brunner in Zug. With all respect, of course those players are in the NHL for some reason, but the size of the ice surface has a biiiig influence on the "status" of a player. And yes, I would go as far and say that guys like Josi or Brunner would be way better on the big ice than some of the NHL players who are better than them in the NHL.
So basically your saying, that Hockey is different on big ice and small ice... Which makes up my point even more, since there is no reason Andrighetto would make better progress towards the NHL in Switzerland... And I say it again: The question is not about the developement of a player (as I agree with stv11 and you, that he would make similar progress in Switzerland and Northamerica), but to prepar him for a professional career in the NHL and again we are far, far away from being a good league for a player to prepare for the NHL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Long story short, I find it sad that fans in Switzerland miss out on more and more young Swiss talents because they think they need to present them to the NHL GMs, even if there is no guarantee that it will benefit their careers. Maybe NHL GMs should start being a bit less ignorant. Hockey world is changing fast.
Thank god, there is a difference between a Hockey-Businessman and a Hockey-Fan... They concern will always be their own team and never will be Switzerland or another league in Europe... Why should it be? They're hired to manage their respective NHL-Team and not Fans in Switzerland or another Eurpean-League...

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:09 AM
  #178
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Rafik Soliman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Also, it's always easy to bring up the positive thing first...

What about Roman Wick, who did exactly what you and stv11 are considering... Playing in the WHL, getting drafted then returned to Switzerland and later signed an ELC... Quit after his first year AHL and not realizing his chances with the Sens, because he saw more money in Switzerland and maybe left his Guitar there I don't now...

What about Ambühl? Or now Gregory Hofmann... Do you believe they will get a 2nd chance after quitting once or denied an ELC-Offer just because they are playing regularly in the NLA?

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:18 AM
  #179
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik Soliman View Post
What about Ambühl? Or now Gregory Hofmann... Do you believe they will get a 2nd chance after quitting once or denied an ELC-Offer just because they are playing regularly in the NLA?
And that's probably the most important point, Andrighetto could somehow get to the NHL by playing for Servette but if he refuses an ELC from the Habs this would be highly in doubt.

And as Cracker said, I don't think Sven will get third line minutes, I'm quite sure we'll see him getting much ice-time.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
  #180
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik Soliman View Post
Also, it's always easy to bring up the positive thing first...

What about Roman Wick, who did exactly what you and stv11 are considering... Playing in the WHL, getting drafted then returned to Switzerland and later signed an ELC... Quit after his first year AHL and not realizing his chances with the Sens, because he saw more money in Switzerland and maybe left his Guitar there I don't now...

What about Ambühl? Or now Gregory Hofmann... Do you believe they will get a 2nd chance after quitting once or denied an ELC-Offer just because they are playing regularly in the NLA?
Those three players are very different cases. Wick is the only one that can be compared to Andrighetto. He played in the WHL, returned to the NLA and developped into a player capable of a dominant performance at the Olympics, not exactly a bad career path. Then he ended up with an NHL team who didn't seem to count on him and decided to return, and now he's arguably to as good as he was before leaving.

Ambühl's case is different because he never was an NHL prospect until later in his career, his first opportunity to play in North America came when he was already at his best level. Unfortunately, it seems he choosed a team who just wanted some depth and never cared that much for him.

Hofmann is still in the early stages of his career. Unlike Ambühl and Wick, he hasn't showed what he can do with the national team. We can however say that moving to Davos was a good career choice, after wasting one year playing for a coach who didn't count on him.

Anyway, of course developping in the NLA is not a surefire way to become an NHL player and cases like Wick are bound to happen. But going the AHL route has only worked for Aebischer so far, which is a poor track record considering how many Swiss players gave it a try.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:37 AM
  #181
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik Soliman View Post
And I say it again: The question is not about the developement of a player (as I agree with stv11 and you, that he would make similar progress in Switzerland and Northamerica), but to prepar him for a professional career in the NHL and again we are far, far away from being a good league for a player to prepare for the NHL...
We often hear this point about the NLA not being a good league to prepare a player for an NHL career, but I'd argue that it's the case for most European league, except maybe the SM-Liiga.

The style of play in the Eliteserien is arguably further removed from North American hockey that the one played in Switzerland, with the slow pace and emphasis on positioning play. In Russia, you constantly see players unable to move forward stop at the blue line and pass back to the defense to restart the breakout from scratch, the kind of play that would make a North American coach pull his hair out. And despite this, countless NHL players came out of Sweden and Russia, so there is no reason NHL players couldn't be developped in Switzerland too.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:05 AM
  #182
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik Soliman View Post
the NHL (as we all know) did a major overhaul on their playing rules ... You could say, that the NHL has addapted itself for Swiss-Players to play in...
This is correct, but I think it somehow accentuates what I want to say. Maybe there were more NHL-ready Swiss players even before the 04/05 lockout but didn't manage to play in the NHL because of the playing style. That doesn't make them worse hockey players in my mind. They just like to play a different brand of hockey. If you look at it like that, hockey is a special sport in that relation; you can play it really physical or really unphysical, the game will be a lot different - but it's still hockey. Not everyone excells in the same facetts of the game and still all are part of the game.

Quote:
McSorley is one of the most smartest hockey-minds in Switzerland, but I would never trust him to far...
Of course I don't just believe what some random guy says and I also know that McSorley is a cheeky monkey, but I looked at it from a fan perspective. As a fan I see that he signed a contract in Switzerland, I feel that he will sooner and more likely be a star in Switzerland - because we have less players of his caliber over here - therefore I don't like it if he leaves. Simple as that. Because I don't see the guaranteed benefit for Andrighetto.

Quote:
Weinhandl???? Weinhandl had a serious eye injury even before he could start his NHL-Career... He even made it to the NHL with approx. 10% vision on his left eye... What made you bring up that comparison?
Well, in my opinion Weinhandl is a guy that by NA-fans is looked at as a guy that is elite technically but was too soft for the NHL, because in the KHL he is pretty successful. His eye injury (didn't know that) doesn't seem to hinder him there - why should it in the NHL?

Quote:
So basically your saying, that Hockey is different on big ice and small ice... Which makes up my point even more, since there is no reason Andrighetto would make better progress towards the NHL in Switzerland... And I say it again: The question is not about the developement of a player (as I agree with stv11 and you, that he would make similar progress in Switzerland and Northamerica), but to prepar him for a professional career in the NHL and again we are far, far away from being a good league for a player to prepare for the NHL...
I think the NHL is the best hockey league in the world and if you are a regular player there, you are also one of the best. Playing with the best makes you better. But I don't think the NLA should have the aim to be a preparation league for the NHL. And why should it not be about a players development? Why is becoming an NHLer more important than becoming a good hockey player?

That is 2 different things to me. Because as I said, NHLers are the best in their league, with their rules, on their surface, in their roles. Would you say that every single roster spot in the NHL is filled with the best possible hockey players on earth? There was a time where I believed that every NHL player is a super skilled superstar, but if you follow the NHL more closely you'll notice that this isn't the case (and in the moment where I realised that I was a bit disenchanted) and that there are a lot of players in Europe who better know how to play the game of hockey, but just aren't tough or strong enough. Being physical is only 1 part of the game, not everything. Hockey is so much more, that's why I love this sport, but north americans don't like the game without fighting and hard hits.

Quote:
Thank god, there is a difference between a Hockey-Businessman and a Hockey-Fan... They concern will always be their own team and never will be Switzerland or another league in Europe... Why should it be? They're hired to manage their respective NHL-Team and not Fans in Switzerland or another Eurpean-League...
Some very un-Swiss thinking right there... Another part where we don't think alike it seems. Players are not the slaves of those managers. Those who reign should do so in favour of the people - the players. Many Swiss players lost money and important career years because they got eaten by that greedy NHL monster. Why should a player whose dream is to play among the best in the world be treated like a commodity? Why should he HAVE to go to north america to get recognized in our globalized world? Those guys are billionaires but they can't hire personell in Switzerland to do a scouting job? Come on...
I see that the players get paid millions, I don't feel sympathy for them because of that. They shall do something for their money. But I'm not a fan of that "you have to do this and that or we don't want you" rubbish, it's complete nonsense. Andrighetto only has to go to NA because the GMs want him to - as a proof for commitment and so on, it's not like it will really benefit him personally at becoming a better hockey player. If the mindset of the GMs were different, he wouldn't HAVE to, just to be in the NHL one day.

This arrogant behaviour is a reason why more and more russians prefer to stay in their home country IMO. Why shoud he endure 40h bus rides and under 100'000 US$ per year if he has better competition and a better salay in the KHL?

But it's not that I completely don't see it. The NHL is the best league, if you make it you have a lot of comfort, the best competition and a great payday. Plus, glory and fame. If you want to make it there you have to play the game. And playing among the best will likely improve Swiss hockey.


Last edited by chokei: 07-09-2013 at 05:12 AM.
chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  #183
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Rafik Soliman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Some very good points you brought up... I like this discussion so far, how it is going...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
That doesn't make them worse hockey players in my mind. They just like to play a different brand of hockey. If you look at it like that, hockey is a special sport in that relation; you can play it really physical or really unphysical, the game will be a lot different - but it's still hockey. Not everyone excells in the same facetts of the game and still all are part of the game.
That's what I wrote above... They're not bad hockey players, but if you look at it in the NHL-eye (and that is, what scouts and GMs do, because it's their main focus), those players are just not complete hockey-players....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Would you say that every single roster spot in the NHL is filled with the best possible hockey players on earth? There was a time where I believed that every NHL player is a super skilled superstar, but if you follow the NHL more closely you'll notice that this isn't the case (and in the moment where I realised that I was a bit disenchanted) and that there are a lot of players in Europe who better know how to play the game of hockey, but just aren't tough or strong enough. Being physical is only 1 part of the game, not everything. Hockey is so much more, that's why I love this sport, but north americans don't like the game without fighting and hard hits.
That is pretty hard to say, because we would have to know all the players in the world to judge that. And yes, you are absoletly correct, that probably there are some players who would be better suited for a role, that is taken by another player...

But, there is the human part of the business, as not everybody want's to live in Northamerica or if he does he doesn't like it... I used to live and work in the United States, because it was always my dream and I wanted to fullfill it... When I was there and got to known the working-world of the US I realized how great it is in Switzerland and how good things are back home. So based on that I quit my dream and returned and that is also something every hockey player has the right to do so...

But if his dream is the NHL and he want's to player there, even desperatly like Andrighetto he has to stay close the NHL. I think that's the difference between all those Mark Streits and Roman Wicks... Streit wanted to go so desperatly he did the unthinkable and tried a route, which was close to impossible to get through and going as an undrafted player to play in the AHL... He also told once in the NHL, that he will even cary the pucks, in order just to stay in, because it was his dream...
Then there are the Wicks, who just love their free time, hanging around and playing the guitar, sleeping in their home-bed every night, so it is clear that Northamerica is nothing for them...

What I want to say with this, is that there probably is a better player in the World for a certain role, but he just isn't the Northamerica-typ... But that has nothing to do, that a Swiss should play first in the Switzerland and then try it in Northamerica in my eyes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Some very un-Swiss thinking right there... Another part where we don't think alike it seems. Players are not the slaves of those managers. Those who reign should do so in favour of the people - the players. Many Swiss players lost money and important career years because they got eaten by that greedy NHL monster. Why should a player whose dream is to play among the best in the world be treated like a commodity? Why should he HAVE to go to north america to get recognized in our globalized world?
Well I think we are not far away in Switzerland from that System.... Or what would you call the A- and B-Licence System that we have in Switzerland...

The SC Bern for example takes all his under-17Novice Elite Roster Players under contract, so they basicly can not change the club with out the club agreeing to it. If a player does not sign, he get's droped...
The ZSC/GCK-Organisation is pulling their junior player from team to team... There are Kids who play in 3 to 4 different teams in one season... Same when they're getting closer to the Pro-Level, where they play NLB and sometimes 1. Liga and with the Elite B and Elite A... So Slaves? I don't know, but if you desperatly want to become a Pro-Hockey player you have to do what the business-hockey man is asking from you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Those guys are billionaires but they can't hire personell in Switzerland to do a scouting job? Come on...
Who tells you they can't hire personell in Switzerland? I think the question more is do they want to and do they need to?

Again, it's not like Switzerland is looked at in Northamerica as a "justhavetowatch"-League like Sweden, Finland or maybe Russia... Call it arogant or maybe just being realistic... Who knows, maybe that will change, since we just had now 10 Kids out of Switzerland who decided to pursue a career in Northamerica and some sure could make some noise there...

But it's maybe also something that will confirm Scouts and GMs in Northamerica, that in Switzerland we are doing a solid job in developing hockey-talents, but they are making bigger and faster progress in Northamerica, because they focus on the important things in forming a NHL-Player...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
This arrogant behaviour is a reason why more and more russians prefer to stay in their home country IMO. Why shoud he endure 40h bus rides and under 100'000 US$ per year if he has better competition and a better salay in the KHL?.
There are many other reasons to this, which also goes into the part where we were talking about slaves and stuff and of course the unreal (oil-)money that is paid in Russia...

Looking forward to your answer....

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  #184
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
The NHL is trending towards an ever more systematic and stylistic approach, something that requires certain skill-sets and certain attitudes. Not all think in the same way or have similar processes and operational thoughts, but is certainly a growing trend that European players are wanted in North America (be it the AHL or the CHL) earlier and integrated into the style earlier. No doubt the NHL style is becoming more rigid and less creative and it is largely a coincidence, but the influx of European young talent into the NHL over the last 5-6 years has been much lower than similar aged NA talent. Wide range of variables too that (incl. European development at younger ages than NHL orientation). This need for NHL teams to get these young Euros over as early as possible can be seen as somewhat understandable, but also somewhat misguided in many cases.

At the end of the day however, the NHL is the biggest league in the world. It's where young players generally dream of playing. In big cities in a nation so immersed in fantasy culture growing up, for large sums of money, and "important people" giving you advice once you're within an organisation. Impressionable young players will do anything for this dream, whether it is neccessairly the right thing to do.

Unlike Sweden, Russia, Finland etc where we have large sample sizes of players, different cultures, domestic leagues and a greater understanding of the effects of development paths, Switzerland hasn't produced enough top tier young players to really have any clue on the best route. The domestic league is good, but the coaching and playing opportunities in some cases won't be quite up to scratch. Swiss teams simply don't have the track record of producing the calibre of players teams in Russia, Sweden etc do.

At the end of the day, you can't have it both ways. If you want more NHL players, you're going to have to see more take this NHL focused routes to get there. Especially till Switzerland hopefully increases its youth abilities relative to the bigger nations and has a more recognised and accepted track record in domestic league development.

Still, 4 1st round picks since 2008 (and a likely swiss product in 2014).

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:52 AM
  #185
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Bit a mixed response to both posts above:
We seem to agree on a lot more things than I initially thought.

It is definitely a factor if you are the right type for the north american world, especially the NHL and AHL world. And I also think that the NHL is the best league in the world, so I think it is kind of a given for every ambituous young player to have the dream of playing in the NHL one day. I imagine that the internet has also had an impact on young players decisions, as it is easyer to judge today if you, in principle, would have the tools to be a good player in north america. 20 years ago one probably didn't really know what kind of player you have to be, to be in the discussion for an NHL spot.

I don't think the NHL waited for Switzerland to become better. But if their aim is really to have the best suiting players in their organization, they probably should observe the Swiss leagues a bit more closely. You can't look for the best if you not even look.
The case Roman Josi: Yes he got drafted in the 2nd round, and nobody can foresee the future, but I bet a lot of teams are asking themselves today WHY didn't we take this guy earlier? Did he make unexpected progress? Or was he simply not observed good enough in the NLA? Roman Josi surely doesn't care. He had the talent and made it to the NHL. But many GMs missed out on a very good player. The Islanders for instance picked 2 times before Nashville's 2nd pick in the 08 draft. I imagine they'd rather have Josi instead of Bailey or Trivino today, even if they picked Hamonic later.

But I also understand that GMs maybe think well, if he's in the NLA he probably wouldn't be useful anyway, because he learned and is suited to another style of hockey than we need on our team. So therefore yes, if a players aim is to be in the NHL, he has to leave for north america early in his career.

But then again, speaking as a fan, it would be sad to see if suddenly all the good talents are in north america and not Switzerland (or at least Europe, for the WC) anymore. I think I would get the feeling that the NLA is only a second rate league even for Swiss players, and all the good Swiss players are in north america. This wasn't the case until a few years ago, or still isn't. It hasn't reached dramatic dimensions yet but the trend is pointing towards more and more young players leaving.

It would be nice if Switzerland manages to become elite at developing players even over 16 years, that would be a possibility to keep talented players in Switzerland. Sweden could be a good example.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:31 PM
  #186
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Win over Sweden at Hlinka Memorial...

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 04:14 AM
  #187
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Win over Sweden at Hlinka Memorial...
Merci ... well deserved apparently (reading the Swiss reports given by head coach Manuele Celio)

hopefully we can redo it today, and tomorow and ....

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
  #188
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Following my last post ... and the end of the Hlinka tournament for the Swiss team ...



they redid nothing !

they repeatedly lost 4-3 in SO all other games ... vs Canada, vs the Czechs and vs Finland.
out of these 3 lost games , in 2 they had a 3-1 lead ... to end up at 3-3 ! (vs the Czechs and the Finns)

What do you think of that ? some coaching issues ? (i never read in the events ... a positive coaching influence when Celio is on the steering wheel.)

don't know really what to think except that we could have ended up on a better ranking.

And are we, Switzerland, soo bad in SO ? (across our national teams, to the exception of Suri's impact lately, i have no memory of a positive outcome in this part of the game).

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:42 AM
  #189
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Results are not so important at this stage, more important is that the Swiss team could battle each of the great nations and was equal or even better in all games.

I mean, you learn from mistakes, they are all young, 18 or younger, they make mistakes. You cannot blame coaching for that. More important is that this team has again some very good porspects and also 2 solid goalies. I'm already looking forward to the U-20 WC and I hope Colin Mueller is able to build again a competitive team.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 11:29 AM
  #190
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Results are not so important at this stage, more important is that the Swiss team could battle each of the great nations and was equal or even better in all games.

I mean, you learn from mistakes, they are all young, 18 or younger, they make mistakes. You cannot blame coaching for that. More important is that this team has again some very good porspects and also 2 solid goalies. I'm already looking forward to the U-20 WC and I hope Colin Mueller is able to build again a competitive team.
Can you name them so I can follow them in the future ? Thanks !

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
  #191
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Kevin Fiala and Denis Malgin are surly the most interesting ones.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:13 PM
  #192
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Following my last post ... and the end of the Hlinka tournament for the Swiss team ...



they redid nothing !

they repeatedly lost 4-3 in SO all other games ... vs Canada, vs the Czechs and vs Finland.
out of these 3 lost games , in 2 they had a 3-1 lead ... to end up at 3-3 ! (vs the Czechs and the Finns)

What do you think of that ? some coaching issues ? (i never read in the events ... a positive coaching influence when Celio is on the steering wheel.)

don't know really what to think except that we could have ended up on a better ranking.

And are we, Switzerland, soo bad in SO ? (across our national teams, to the exception of Suri's impact lately, i have no memory of a positive outcome in this part of the game).
I don't see how this is a bad thing? Simply another tournament where Switzerland shows that it is serious competition.

You played 4 strong nations, beat a gifted Swedish team, and competed very well versus very strong squads. Not winning sucks, but it's simply validation of the Swiss programme that you are now in these positions at U-18 events.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 10:13 PM
  #193
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I don't see how this is a bad thing? Simply another tournament where Switzerland shows that it is serious competition.

You played 4 strong nations, beat a gifted Swedish team, and competed very well versus very strong squads. Not winning sucks, but it's simply validation of the Swiss programme that you are now in these positions at U-18 events.
They played well and i am pretty happy about that.
I am beyond that. It is now some years that we match the best teams.

Where i am disturbed is that we could have ended much better with better coaching and/or luck.

I still have in my throat the loss against the Czechs.

and to loose 3 times 4-3 in SO. in a row it is hard to swallow.

We should have qualified 2nd of the group instead of the Czechs. Then, beat the US or Russia in SF would have been doable.

anyone who played in a team game and would end up with this result would have a sour taste in his mouth. This is what i am saying.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:10 AM
  #194
KHLJokers*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Why there isnt Swiss players in finnish elite league? Would like to see them here!

KHLJokers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:48 AM
  #195
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
There are only two leagues where you can earn more than in Switzerland, the NHL and the KHL. That's probably the main reason.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 03:27 AM
  #196
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
They played well and i am pretty happy about that.
I am beyond that. It is now some years that we match the best teams.

Where i am disturbed is that we could have ended much better with better coaching and/or luck.

I still have in my throat the loss against the Czechs.

and to loose 3 times 4-3 in SO. in a row it is hard to swallow.

We should have qualified 2nd of the group instead of the Czechs. Then, beat the US or Russia in SF would have been doable.

anyone who played in a team game and would end up with this result would have a sour taste in his mouth. This is what i am saying.
It's hard to get an idea about what really happend without watching the games, but the reason the u18 category exists is because those players still have a lot to learn on their way to become pro hockey players, and I'm sure that loss against the Czech Republic was a valuable learning experience for everyone involved (I also read that the ref screwed up as well by not calling a delay of game against the Czech coach when he attempted to call a 2nd time out).

It's better to have this happen now than during the 2022 Olympics.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:26 AM
  #197
KHLJokers*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
It seems that Antoine Wuilleret has made tryout deal with JYP-Akatemia. So we have at least one Swiss in Finland

KHLJokers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:48 PM
  #198
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Rafik Soliman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLJokers* View Post
It seems that Antoine Wuilleret has made tryout deal with JYP-Akatemia. So we have at least one Swiss in Finland
This link says he was cut and is no longer with the team...

http://www.jyp-akatemia.fi/uutiset/1...vastassa-hokki

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:49 PM
  #199
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
great article on Mirko Muller here

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
  #200
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
This probably is the most appropriate place to ask this, so why would player like this would sign for a lover tier team, after such a promising season in NLB? Am I correct that he basically drops into semi-pro level?

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.