HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Name Subban next captain of the Canadiens

View Poll Results: Should PK Subban be the next Canadiens captain?
Yes, he would be a good choice as captain 68 32.08%
No, he is not the ideal choice 144 67.92%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutHockey View Post
If some of you have played hockey at a high level, you would know that in order to be a good captain, one of the main prerequisite for the job is the respect you get from your teammates and your coaches, one thing PK does not have right now. PK should not even be in the discussion right now, maybe in 5-10 years from now if he changes.

Next question.
TIL the team and coaching staff don't respect PK Subban.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
rickthegoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Rocket was fiery competitor that hated to lose (some say even moren than he loved to win), but perhaps also for that reason he was never the captain of those great Habs.
Spot on!

I absolutely love P.K Subban, would go as far as to say he's the greatest pure talent I've seen come up in our organisation in the last ...what ? 30 years?
But he is no way captain material. You never have enough of competitors of this kind onn your team, but when things go sour, a captain is the kind of guy that can bring guys together, not a kamikaze that can go 'postal' at any moment, or can simply implode due to frustration.
Subban has not shown that he is that type of character so far.
And this is comming from his greatest fan.

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:36 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Rocket was fiery competitor that hated to lose (some say even moren than he loved to win), but perhaps also for that reason he was never the captain of those great Habs.
Except that.. you know, he WAS captain of the Habs from 56 to 1960

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
100% agree. I think PK is the perfect choice for captain personally.
I wouldn't put him as captain just yet...I also think he needs to earn that role and he just doesn't have enough time spent doing that

But in 3-4 years assuming things keep trending upwards for him...no reason for him not to be in consideration

Again...all this talk about his maturity and attitude problems have more to do with a stereotype, then they do reality.

Don't confuse PK's exuberant personality, with a lack of maturity...to become who he is today, given the odds he faced where he grew up shows me that he's an extremely serious athlete who is mature beyond his years

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Let him grow into his role as a #1/all star dman first.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He has a lot of qualities that you look for in a captain, but I just think he's not there yet. He's not "white boy from western Canada" enough yet. He's getting there though.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
Spot on!

I absolutely love P.K Subban, would go as far as to say he's the greatest pure talent I've seen come up in our organisation in the last ...what ? 30 years?
But he is no way captain material. You never have enough of competitors of this kind onn your team, but when things go sour, a captain is the kind of guy that can bring guys together, not a kamikaze that can go 'postal' at any moment, or can simply implode due to frustration.
Subban has not shown that he is that type of character so far.
And this is comming from his greatest fan.
Exactly as I see it.

Subban may be personable, funny and great on-camera, but these are qualities that work with the fans, not necessarily with teammates. Being a captain is about being the go-to guy in the locker room, the one players trust, like, respect. Obviously we're all just guessing, but PK doesn't strike me as a pillar of wisdom and sage advice. Not yet, anyways...

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:24 AM
couris

no thanks

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
He has a lot of qualities that you look for in a captain, but I just think he's not there yet. He's not "white boy from western Canada" enough yet. He's getting there though.
Hope he never gets there

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Even if the guy is not traditional captain material, he is a strong personality superstar so it could create a divided locker room situation if you don't make him captain.

It was the same logic of making Ovechkin captain, it had basically become his team, defined by him, what are you gonna do make somebody else captain but people will keep looking up to Ovechkin cuz he is the best, then you have 2 cliques form when that captain and Ovechkin's personality disagree on something.

Subban just won the Norris trophy, he's gonna sign a 7-8 year extension, he dominates the puck, hits and talks, and he's going to be on the ice for 25+ minutes a game. This is going to be HIS team going forward, pretending this isn't the case is just going to lead to conflict.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:58 AM
HABSonaroll

Give it a couple of years and PK will make a good Captain - with a few bigger guys like Tinordi etc. using their size PK can be more of a leader than trying to throw those big hits

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Ed View Post
He's probably the last player on the team that should be named captain. He's shelfish and He's nowhere close to being a leader. Imagine Gorges, Gionta and Markov's face when They would learn that He's capitain.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised If He's not a Hab in a few years !
You are Ronald Corey and I claim my free toupee.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
NOBLE27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
There is little doubt that PK Subban is not a big game player. Everyone knows he is clutch and has proven that on multiple occasions. He cares about the Habs and grew up a fan of the team. PK is hungry for glory and ambitious. He wants to win the Stanley Cup and has the personality and skills to will his team to victories.

Why not name him the next captain of the Habs? For one it would probably make his next contract slightly cheaper. For two, you know he will not only be able to handle it, but embrace it. I fully believe that he would take his game to an even higher level because of the responsibility.

No question there will be many of you who disagree with this notion for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he has been accused of being a selfish player; secondly, he has been accused as someone who has a tough time listening to coaches; and thirdly, some may feel that there are better options, ie: Gorges, Pacioretty, etc.

Some players are just born leaders. People who find losing to be unacceptable. I have noticed some aspects of 'sore loser-ness' in his game and personality; however, that to me just means that he hates losing -- therefore, by process of elimination, someone who also loves winning.

Moreover, he has an unbelievable commitment to physical fitness, a sign of a true professional.

He embraces the craziness of the Montreal fanbase and arguably thrives in it. That takes a special person -- someone who can handle the pressure and the scrutiny of being the Habs captain.

So: what say you? Do you think he is the best choice OBJECTIVELY to be the Montreal Canadiens next captain, or not?
haha I should have read your post first before voting no. After reading it I would agree with you and now vote YES :-)

NOBLE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Not that I think he isn't mature enough, but as we all know, Subban is a polarizing guy. So is he in the locker-room. There's most definitely as many guys that like him as there's guys who dislike within the Habs organization. For that reason, I'm not so sure proclaiming him leader of the group is a good thing. I say let the players vote and decide who will be the next captain. My n.1 candidate was Gorges up until he somewhat trashed Subban in the media during his short contract hold-out. Since then, I'm not really sure of who should be the captain.

Plekanec, maybe? Leading by the example type of guy. Maybe Galchenyuk (going the Pittsburgh (Crosby), Chicago (Toews) and Colorado (Landeskog) route) once Gionta's contract ends.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:27 PM
puckeater

A leader helps reel in emotions when necessary of his teammates. Will he be there one day? He has a ways to go to get there, that's for sure.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
I'd rather have the current P.K. than what you're describing. Also, why did you have to add the white part? You could've made the same point by just saying he's not enough a good western canadian boy.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Ed View Post
He's probably the last player on the team that should be named captain. He's shelfish and He's nowhere close to being a leader. Imagine Gorges, Gionta and Markov's face when They would learn that He's capitain.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised If He's not a Hab in a few years !
You really think he will be gone from the team? Why is that? Do you think he is a shrimp with no mussels? If you are just being crabby, maybe you should clam up.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I'd rather have the current P.K. than what you're describing. Also, why did you have to add the white part? You could've made the same point by just saying he's not enough a good western canadian boy.
Because it adds to the stereotype.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Let Subban mature, he will be captain for the habs one day but not right now. He still needs to keep his emotions in check and will be the captain of the habs, hopefully one day bring us a cup to Montreal again and will be respected by his fellow team-mates. The next captain IMO should be Tomas Plekanec. Followed by Gorges and then three A's until we make up our minds.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Cedream

First step is sign im with the mega contract hell have next years, after that will see

Cedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I think the "A" is a no-brainer, "C" to come in a year or two. No need to push him.

07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
You really think he will be gone from the team? Why is that? Do you think he is a shrimp with no mussels? If you are just being crabby, maybe you should clam up.
Holy **** I love this post

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:45 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
No he doesn't.

Pacioretty threw an idiotic suicide pass to the teams best player a few days after Eller got destroyed on one. Of course he is mad..Pacioretty nearly took PK out of the series with that stupid pass.

Max should have dumped it in and chased it, not look for a guy who was clearly in a vulnerable position.

Chara was doing something quite similar to Seguin not long after and they call it leadership. PK does it and it's whining and *****ing. All about this apparent reputation that PK has for not being a leader. Absolute ********.
Cant agree more... This is why I don't think Pacioretty could be a capitain... I don't think Subban would have screamed at Gionta if he did the same stupid pass as Pacs.

Anyway, if its the last year of Gionta with the Habs, players like PK or Prust or Gorges will step up their game, so we will see who is the real leader of this team in a year.

Last edited by FrontierPsyCHiatrist*: 07-08-2013 at 01:52 PM.
FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
ScottFC

But we already have a captain..

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
lolll Great post!

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote