HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Oilers sign Boyd Gordon (3 years, $3M AAV)

Old
07-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Kind of getting sick of the "Edmonton has to overpay" BS. Maybe a few years ago when the Oilers had a weak team with not much attraction. We have a great foundation already in place and a new arena coming in a couple years. People want to be here.. fact.

Boyd Gordon is one of the best faceoff and defensive players in the league. He was obviously highly sought after. The reason we might have overpayed for him is not just because of the high demand for him, but the fact we desperately needed him and had to close the deal.. I'd have a hard time believing the next highest offer was a million less. Clearly another team was bidding around 2.5, probably even higher.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:14 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Bringing the 80's back.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:52 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Say what now? That's just an absolutely ridiculous statement, indefensible.

Sarcasm... I thought it was clear by everything that followed that statement.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 500
Great signing by the oil! Excited to see someone in a few draws!!

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
2yotesfans88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Kind of getting sick of the "Edmonton has to overpay" BS. Maybe a few years ago when the Oilers had a weak team with not much attraction. We have a great foundation already in place and a new arena coming in a couple years. People want to be here.. fact.

Boyd Gordon is one of the best faceoff and defensive players in the league. He was obviously highly sought after. The reason we might have overpayed for him is not just because of the high demand for him, but the fact we desperately needed him and had to close the deal.. I'd have a hard time believing the next highest offer was a million less. Clearly another team was bidding around 2.5, probably even higher.
i wouldnt count on it... phx badly wanted to re-sign him. but not for even close to 3million. Coyotes are paying Vrbata (who had 30+ goals in the 11-12 season) 3 mil a season. coyotes just cant justifiy writing that kind of check.2 mil yeah but not 3.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yotesfans88 View Post
i wouldnt count on it... phx badly wanted to re-sign him. but not for even close to 3million. Coyotes are paying Vrbata (who had 30+ goals in the 11-12 season) 3 mil a season. coyotes just cant justifiy writing that kind of check.2 mil yeah but not 3.
So you honestly doubt that any of the remaining 28 teams in the league offered more than 2 Mil? Really? The same offseason that saw Clowe and Clarkson signed to such lucrative deals wouldn't have had ANY team pay more than 2 except the Oilers? Seems pretty far fetched considering the poor overall crop of UFA's this year.

Brian28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:42 PM
ponder

Definite overpayment.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yotesfans88 View Post
I know the NHL owned the Coyotes, but they don't make up the whole league. As Brian28 said, there are 28 other teams out there. On MacT's July 5 presser he mentioned Gordon was in high demand. As I said before, clearly teams were bidding that high, Edmonton went a little further. It's not that we had to go that high because that's the only way Gordon would have signed here. Give me a break. Hard to believe TSN and other media are still spewing that crap.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:51 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Definite overpayment.
Name me one UFA signing that wasn't. When you're bidding against the entire league, this is what happens. Edmonton isn't a cap team at the moment, so it really doesn't matter. The main thing is to get the right player for your team, if his salary, no matter what it is, can fit into your budget, and you're fine with, then it doesn't really matter. If a team is gonna sit back and look for bargains from UFA's, they aren't gonna get the best of the bunch, those teams will end up with Petrell and Belanger and any other number of borderline NHL players.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Ho Borvat

I like Boyd Gordon a lot and hoped the Canucks would sign him.

3 million is pretty rich for Gordon, but its hard to properly place value on a guy who can do some heavy-lifting defensively.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:54 AM
DirtDogMesa
STH Sec 208 Row A

I think this overpayment BS will blow over once the season starts and Oiler fans get to witness him on the PK, taking FO's, blocking shots and not making bad passes in transition and seeming to be in the right place at the right time all the time. The level of comfort I felt on PK's when he was on the ice will be sorely missed next season. Edmonton will embrace this guy for his commitment to protect the zone/net. Good Luck Gordo!

DirtDogMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Jacob

It's an overpayment even considering that pretty much all free agent signings are overpaid.

$3 million for a guy that's basically a 4th liner on most teams.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It's an overpayment even considering that pretty much all free agent signings are overpaid.

$3 million for a guy that's basically a 4th liner on most teams.

This. People who are calling it an overpayment aren't ignoring all of the other signings that take place; most players get overpaid on the open market, but signed for something close to what their perceived "market value" is. Gordon got way above what anyone would have guessed the market value would be. He's only making 1.7M less than McDonagh now. How much bang are you getting for that buck?

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
This. People who are calling it an overpayment aren't ignoring all of the other signings that take place; most players get overpaid on the open market, but signed for something close to what their perceived "market value" is. Gordon got way above what anyone would have guessed the market value would be. He's only making 1.7M less than McDonagh now. How much bang are you getting for that buck?
So everyone agree's that it is an overpayment, and you are using one of the best value contracts in the entire league as your comparison for value.

As an oiler fan, i don't mind because we actually got him, and it will help the team. Imagine how brutal our C depth would be without him. We really couldn't afford to miss on this one.

If you actually do the research on the type of minutes Gordon plays, its not horrible at all.

Karsa Orlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:20 AM
spOiler

He is a third line center he plays against top players and shuts them down well. This is the type of player we had to get this year if we wanted to move out of the basement.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
vanwest

He's about 50% overpaid. But the contract isn't one of those that will handciap the team that much and should be off the books when the Oilers need the cap space.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
JustinCider

No way he's a 1.5 million dollar player. He brings way too much to the table to be paid that low. 3 million is high, no doubt, 2.25 is probably about right for him, but for the Oilers, 3 million was what it took, and 3 is fine, and that's all that really matters.

Clarkson scored 5 goals in his final 34 games, was less than a .25 point per game player over that stretch as well, and got 7 years, and 5.25. But the Leafs wanted him, as did a number of other teams, and probably some teams that we're willing to pay him even more. Plenty of these signings will turn out to be mistakes, only time will tell.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
How is comparing a RFA and UFA signing price/term relevant?

Nonetheless, I love the HFBoards damned if you do, damned if you don't philosophy. Throughout this season we had numerous threads about how the Oilers are "tankers" who have major line-up problems and are a prime example of why teams fail when they only try to improve their team through drafting early every year. During this off-season, the Oilers make free-agent moves to fill holes in their roster and improve the team, and now they overpay and waste cap space.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
MeestaDeteta

Yes, it's an overpayment, but the vast majority of UFA deals are. Most of the bargains and sweetheart deals are signed by RFAs. Boyd will be a very nice 3rd line center for Edmonton - yes, he doesn't bring much offense (although he still had more points than Horcoff this last season), but his faceoffs and defensive play is exactly what's needed.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:06 PM
VC

I thought Malohta was a gross overpayment when he signed for 2.5 and in hindsight he was very much worth it prior to his eye injury. If Gordon can up his production into the 30ish point range while maintaining his defensive game and PKing then he'll serve as a good third line centre for the Oilers.

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

Who doesn't get overpaid in FreeAgency?

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Bit of an over payment but the Oiler's desperately needed someone who can win face offs. Many though Malhotra was over payment when he signed with the Canucks but by mid season Canuck fans realized he was a bargain at his price. Imo this was one of the more astute signings on free agent day. Good for the Oil.

settinguptheplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:15 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

It's an overpayment but that's what you have to do when trying to acquire a player for zero trade assets while competing against multiple other teams trying to do the exact same thing.

The term isn't too bad, so I'm ok with this deal.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
How is comparing a RFA and UFA signing price/term relevant?

Nonetheless, I love the HFBoards damned if you do, damned if you don't philosophy. Throughout this season we had numerous threads about how the Oilers are "tankers" who have major line-up problems and are a prime example of why teams fail when they only try to improve their team through drafting early every year. During this off-season, the Oilers make free-agent moves to fill holes in their roster and improve the team, and now they overpay and waste cap space.
It's comparing a fairly easily replaceable fourth liner and a top-two d-man whose signing away three UFA years. Yeah, I get that it's not the BEST comparison. The point is, even taking into account that you always overpay on the open market, it's an over over-payment.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
It's comparing a fairly easily replaceable fourth liner and a top-two d-man whose signing away three UFA years. Yeah, I get that it's not the BEST comparison. The point is, even taking into account that you always overpay on the open market, it's an over over-payment.
I think the mistake with your line of thinking is that it's RFA vs. UFA and that Gordon is much more than an easily replaceable 4th line player. He was one of the best defensive forwards last season and was a 3rd line player in terms of minutes.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote