HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 06:55 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

vCash: 500
J.C. showing the rest of the D how it's done.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
timekeep

Oh, oh, Hamilton's home game starts at 630pm EST next Saturday.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:01 PM
timekeep

Rain came at the right time for the Eskies.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:03 PM
timekeep

Good game considering the conditions, Hamilton has a bad defense. Has to worst in the league.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Good win for the Esks. Nice bounce back game for Reilly.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:09 PM
#ualberta

Team looked good when it wasn't raining
good W

Old
07-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGr1ff View Post
Haha, your posts are truly comical. You will complain about ANYTHING. "If the game started when it should". 'Should' meaning? When YOU want the game to start?

I don't know if you know, but there's two teams playing in this game. Two teams being affected by the weather. Or does the weather only negatively impact the Eskimos?

I guess the CFL should banish Friday Night Football and play those games in the morning. I mean, thunderstorms take time to build up and occur later, rather than earlier; best not to take any chances.
Its a simple point, maybe you don't understand weather and the great outdoors.

Its a Sunday. So start time can be early. People can attend an early start. Any golfer, climber, hiker, cyclist, runner, hell anybody that does ANY activity outdoors knows that conditions are better earlier in days, mornings, early afternoons and that thunderstorms and intense systems take place later in the day. This being actual fact.
Starting a game as early as possible is a better, and safer experience for fan and player.

Not sure why I need to be attacked on whats a simple point. I'm sure most people in Hamilton hearing all day about intense weather systems and thunderstorms in the forecast were wondering why the game couldn't start earlier as well. Maybe you noticed but the rain was so intense half the crowd left by the half and the rest before the game ended. With minutes left in the game and Ticats still in the game there was maybe 2000 fans left in the stands.

I'm only belaboring the point in response to all the drivebys to what was just an innocuous, innocent comment.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-07-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old
07-07-2013, 07:38 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Its a Sunday. Any golfer, climber, hiker, cyclist, runner, hell anybody that does ANY activity outdoors knows that conditions are better earlier in days, mornings, early afternoons and that thunderstorms and intense systems take place later in the day. This being actual fact.
Starting a game as early as possible is a better, and safer experience for fan and player.

Not sure why I need to be attacked on whats a simple point. I'm sure most people in Hamilton hearing all day about intense weather systems and thunderstorms in the forecast were wondering why the game couldn't start earlier as well. Maybe you noticed but the rain was so intense half the crowd left by the half and the rest before the game ended. With minutes left in the game and Ticats still in the game there was maybe 2000 fans left in the stands.

I'm only belaboring the point in response to all the drivebys to what was just an innocuous, innocent comment.
I don think you were attacked but it was a nonsensical point and you kept on about it like it had merit. It doesn't.

Case in point...please explain how playing a game on a Sunday at 5 Eastern is any different from playing on a Friday at 7 Eastern.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I don think you were attacked but it was a nonsensical point and you kept on about it like it had merit. It doesn't.

Case in point...please explain how playing a game on a Sunday at 5 Eastern is any different from playing on a Friday at 7 Eastern.
Most people work on Fridays. So an evening start is required unless you want 5k people in the stands who don't work during the day.

Sunday obviously a different story.

How on Earth was the post I responded to not an attack? pretty sure what the intent was.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Nobody puts up passing yards in that heavy of rain. It is fairly stupid to do anything besides run in those conditions. Hamilton seems to have no running game at all.

How fitting, a guy we cut just scores a TD for the Cats.
BRoken coverage and he was wide open. Gant was a non factor in this game and did nothing other than that catch. Anybody that catches the ball would've scored on that play.

Also Gant tipped up yet another ball earlier in the game that we almost intercepted. Appears to have a bad habit of doing that. I'm glad he's gone.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
MoneyGuy

LOL at all those who wrote off a season based on one game. *

* I'm not predicting a cup win.
* i know this is only one game.
* Yes, Hamilton seems not to have played well.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

Isn't that less of an LOL and more of a "tee hee" into a pillow behind several sets of locked doors?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
hey TSN since I missed the game, can I get more than 9 seconds of highlights please

Old
07-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:

Only nine more wins to go.

If only we played Hamilton every week.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Timing post.

Hamilton and Winnipeg have gotta be the worst teams in the league by a mile. Certainly Ticats the worst D and the Ticats had a questionable outing today.

Two bad we play these clubs rarely.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:04 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
That is what I cannot understand I am the Liquor.

Seriously, I've watched football for many years and I had the pleasure of watching us be so dominant it was almost embarrassing but how did we get where we are?

It's not like our coaching staff and management haven't played the game and yet Hervey did nothing to improve the team, Kavis is terrible and I see absolutely no end in sight to this.

I at least understand how the Oilers fell apart. Money, big egos and a bad reputation. With the Eskimos it's like we have gift wrapped talented players to other teams and received nothing in return.
The CFL implemented a salary cap in 07 and the Esks weren't able to buy the best players anymore...the "Campbell Football League" ceased to exist

Pretty simple if u ask me

Old
07-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Alawishis

Quote:

Its a Sunday. So start time can be early. People can attend an early start. Any golfer, climber, hiker, cyclist, runner, hell anybody that does ANY activity outdoors knows that conditions are better earlier in days, mornings, early afternoons and that thunderstorms and intense systems take place later in the day. This being actual fact.

I doubt they would ever start a game much before 2pm on Sunday due to losing the church crowd. That being said they still have time to have it earlier.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
I doubt they would ever start a game much before 2pm on Sunday due to losing the church crowd. That being said they still have time to have it earlier.
Then you have it early and lose the Alberta Church crowd.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
well. I watched most of the game, and it was meh.

some positives but a few worries.
the secondary looked quite weak.
the Esks have to find a return man. burnett is as bad as he was last year.
Kavis Reed is intense for all the wrong reasons.

and I hope it was the wet heavy footballs, but Reilly was throwing the ball like Tim Tebow. I do think he played well overall and made some good decisions.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

and I hope it was the wet heavy footballs, but Reilly was throwing the ball like Tim Tebow. I do think he played well overall and made some good decisions.
I don't like Charles returning kicks either. Not sure how hurt he was but I was thinking to myself why is our #1 RB taking returns especially considering people are literally running full speed trying to take your head off on returns.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

Conditions were awful. Both Burris and Reilly stated it was the worst downpour they had ever played in. Fortunately drainage at the Guelph stadium was very good or this game would have had delays for sure. That was an intense downpour.

Passing stats for both clubs down as a result. Recievers, kick returners having trouble with the ball.

Smartest play of the game was by Charles. On a broken play he loses a handle on ball in backfield. Instead of trying to make something happen he carefully goes down on the ball in what would have been a 5-10yd loss(much better than turning the ball over) but a Ticat nails him while he's down and its a roughing penalty and we get first down and yardage. I note smart plays on this club because theres not always a lot of them.
Another one was the big interception on ticat 25, I forget who it was but he ran the route better than the receiver and perfectly got the ball. Big turnover, we score a TD, and that was pretty much why we won.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Valhallis

Tough to get a proper read on how how well the team actually played due to the weather conditions. Looked good to start though and pulled off the win so that's what's important.

Still figure that they're going to have to play tons better if they're to beat BC in back to backs.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Most people work on Fridays. So an evening start is required unless you want 5k people in the stands who don't work during the day.

Sunday obviously a different story.

How on Earth was the post I responded to not an attack? pretty sure what the intent was.
You are not taking all the variables into consideration....you keep trying to pound home a point that only seems to matter to you. Anyone that doesnt agree with your contention that the game should be earlier is told they dont understand weather.
A little condescending....no?

For starters (the point I was trying to make in my previous comment) if the game is play on a Friday evening or a Sunday evening the same weather phenomenas will be in play here so the day is irrelevant from a weather perspective. This matters because Friday night 7:00 pm games are a traditional day/start time for the Ticats.
That had to be changed due to the stadium being 50+ km's out of town. That in and of itself makes getting to the stadium a challenge. Maybe (due to the extensive travel involved) the team consulted with the fans about preferred start times prior to the season. Maybe they preferred late afternoon games. The team has scheduled highway coaches at 5 different pickup locations for each game. They will arrive at the stadium an hour before start time. Maybe that played a role in the game start time. Aside form the TV schedule influencing game times there are a number of variables to consider here.
You considered none of them.

The fact is that your weather rant was decidedly myopic and anyone that saw things differently apparently 'just didnt understand weather'.
All because you were bothered by the rain.

Maybe it was you that failed to understand and take into consideration a few possible reasons for the start time?

Old
07-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Beerfish

5 pm is a derpy time for footballs games, Guelph is a bit of an exception due to the travel time for fans but the Esks had a lot of 5pm games a few years back and in my mind they were that time for one reason, concessions.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
I will give the esks coaching staff credit for a huge play. kicking out of their endzone instead of giving up the safety.
considering how poorly the Ticat (Lamar?) was able to hold onto the ball yesterday, it was a very smart call.

Closed Thread