HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers extend McDonagh (6 years, $28.2M, $4.7M AAV)

Old
07-08-2013, 10:31 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceCheese91 View Post
Can someone please explain what people are referring to when they are saying McD has 3 years of UFA status with this contract, or what being a group III means?
A group III status means UFA. It's CBA lingo.

McD was scheduled to become a UFA at age 27. He's 24 now. So the Rangers bought 3 years beyond that. UFA years cost more than RFA years, which is why people make the distinction.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
OOOOOOHHHHH That's a bingo!

Good terms. Leaves room for a nice deal if he grows an offensive side to his game.

Awesome news!

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:38 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Great contract.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
This isnt Roberto Luongo we are taking about here...He's the one guy you need and wont complain about his salary.
You're right, Luongo actually played in the Stanley Cup Final.

Not to derail McD's thread. But handcuffing yourself with a crazy contract isn't going to achieve your goal either. He's one of the top netminders in the game today, I get that. But he's obviously not going to win a Cup if he decides to milk the organization for some ridiculous contract. Just saying, haven't won one yet..

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Pyatt and Boyle are overpaid for what they bring to the table.
For the way he's utilized, I really don't think Boyle is overpaid. Not very different from a Boyd Gordon, who is much older and just signed a 3x3 contract.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

With Stepan,its either 2 or 5. With Hagelin,its 2. Gives the Rangers another year to see if they want him long term. Sather gave McDonagh 6 years because the player has proven his worth. Besides Staal,the other guys signed shorter deals including Callahan. He was arb eligible in 2009 but he got a 2 year deal and then signed his current 3 year deal which has 1 year left. Callahan wasn't as established as Mac in 09. McD was arb eligible. The other Rangers bridge contract guys weren't. Staal wasn't arb eligible in 2010. Stepan is in the same boat as Staal was in 10. Dubinsky and AA got the 2 year contract. Tyutin. Girardi. DZ. Stepan is more established those guys at the end of his ELC.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
A group III status means UFA. It's CBA lingo.

McD was scheduled to become a UFA at age 27. He's 24 now. So the Rangers bought 3 years beyond that. UFA years cost more than RFA years, which is why people make the distinction.
Thanks alot GAG, Yeah I was on the right page, but just wasn't sure what that meant. Obviously it's great to have RFA instead of UFA, but how is the distinction made of when they are eligible for UFA status?

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks alot GAG, Yeah I was on the right page, but just wasn't sure what that meant. Obviously it's great to have RFA instead of UFA, but how is the distinction made of when they are eligible for UFA status?
7 years in the NHL or 27 years old.

All the answers are in here, though it can be a tough read

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/co...ning-agreement

Quote:
Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent.
McD turned 24 on June 13th. He'll be 27 on June 13th, 2016, which would have made him UFA on June 30th, 2016. Brooks has been reporting that the Rangers only bought 2 UFA years, but he's wrong.

Last edited by GAGLine: 07-08-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 10:47 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Either 7 years of professional hockey or 27 years of age, whichever is quickest.

Old
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
For the way he's utilized, I really don't think Boyle is overpaid. Not very different from a Boyd Gordon, who is much older and just signed a 3x3 contract.
The Gordon contract is only rivaled by the Clowe contract as the dumbest of this free agent season. Boyle will likely slot back to where he belongs; 4th line forward and PK guy. I don't think his contract is that bad. I do think now that we have Moore, Boyle can be moved, replaced on the wing by Miller or Lindberg and gain some cap space. He should be moved for a pick to ensure max cap benefit.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Group III years are eligible for restriction clauses. Mac got a limited no trade.

Old
07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I guess I'm in the minority around here that thinks Staal is better than McDonagh? Well, 100% healthy Staal that is

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jul 8, 2013 11:55a

#NYR McDonagh's six-year, $28.2 million deal comes with a limited no trade clause in the final three years

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/s...67399039623169

Old
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i would have preferred a bridge contract for mac truck since we will be tight up against the cap this year and the cap will be going up a lot in the next few seasons, but eating 3 years UFA and the cap hit being what it is, you cant complain much
You give him a bridge contract right now and he'll be making even more AAV his next contract. These are the type of players you invest long term deals in.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:14 AM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I guess I'm in the minority around here that thinks Staal is better than McDonagh? Well, 100% healthy Staal that is
Unfortunately, 100% Staal is a rare thing these days

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
The Gordon contract is only rivaled by the Clowe contract as the dumbest of this free agent season. Boyle will likely slot back to where he belongs; 4th line forward and PK guy. I don't think his contract is that bad. I do think now that we have Moore, Boyle can be moved, replaced on the wing by Miller or Lindberg and gain some cap space. He should be moved for a pick to ensure max cap benefit.
I'm fine with 2/3 guys on the fourth line having 1.5-1.7 mil contracts, like Dorsett and Boyle. That's an amazing fourth line. It's problematic only when you have Pyatt, too. 5 Mil+ is quite expensive for a fourth line. If it's not a problem this season, though, it's not. That line was really good in the playoffs. If it's possible to keep them together, I certainly don't mind it. That's the line that will make a difference in the playoffs if your top lines are having an off night. Worth the couple mil in my opinion than having 3 1 mil warm bodies just to give your top lines a breather.

Old
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's close. Both do a lot of things well. Staal is probably a little better along the boards and with his stick, while Mac is a better skater and better able to recover from mistakes (his own or his partner's).

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, I agree. It's just that Staal has been banged up the past couple seasons so people forget just how great he was 3 years ago. That said, I'm happy to have both of them.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Baby Punisher

Quote:
They both play very diffrent games. McD has better vison & offensive capabilities than Staal. McD is a better all round player, while Staal is more of a shutdown defensemen who can chip in some offense here & there.

Both guys can succed by themselves, together they are a force to be reconked with. If Staal can come back & be close to what he was plus what is alreadly there in our other defense we will be good for a while.

This is a great deal for the Rangers. Sather does it again.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Gordon was one of the best defensive forwards last season both ES and on the PK. Can't say the same things for Boyle last year.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It's close. Both do a lot of things well. Staal is probably a little better along the boards and with his stick, while Mac is a better skater and better able to recover from mistakes (his own or his partner's).
I think Staal is better with the puck in the defensive zone and makes better plays to break it out, but McDonagh has probably had it drilled in him to just bang it up the boards to the forwards instead of trying to make a play. Maybe AV can help him develop that part of his game

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:20 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I agree with you, I think Staal has shown more consistency over a longer period of time.

Unfortunately, injuries have been an issue for him the past few years. I thought he looked great and was playing some of his best hockey before the eye injury. Hopefully he can rebound like he did from his concussion.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Miller Time NYR

Great deal, anyone that would have preferred a bridge contract is out of their mind for two reasons first being we don't have the cap space to dick around and play hardball until training camp and second If he takes another step forward offensively he'll easily outplay the money he's earning

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:23 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Gordon was one of the best defensive forwards last season both ES and on the PK. Can't say the same things for Boyle last year.
No, but you could say the opposite for 2011-2012.

Old
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jul 8, 2013 12:18p

Congrats Ryan McDonagh on 6yr contract with #NYR. Here's pic @RMcDonagh27 signing deal in my office 2min ago http://t.co/MMtk4HB40L

sent via Camera on iOS
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/benhankinson/stat...73283652337664