HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
how does ekblad compare to Jones?
Ekblad projects as a more physical and better defensive d-man (so far at least, still has lots of development to do). While Jones is more involved in the play offensively. That said, Ekblad's offensive game is growing and he had terrific playoffs. Should be interesting to follow Ekblad this year and how much of an offensive role he can take. IMO, after his first two junior years, Ekblad is head of Jones.

Last edited by Mathletic: 07-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old
07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
arsmaster

No chance Ekblad is on jones' level.

Skating, hockey sense and offensive skill all point to Seth.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
No chance Ekblad is on jones' level.

Skating, hockey sense and offensive skill all point to Seth.
We'll see next year but Ekblad was dominant in the playoffs for Barrie. It's unlikely Barrie will be as good next year, so it will be tougher for Ekblad to dominate but so far, there's not a whole lot Ekblad could have done more.

I'll give the offensive game to Jones but defensively, Ekblad is very solid, more physical and doesn't commit as many turnovers.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:20 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Ekblad is interesting because despite the tools he's got, he still makes some basic odd mental errors every other game and you wonder whether he'll stagnate in a few years.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:31 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Early wish list for the Habs pick next year Nick Schmaltz, Nick Ritchie or Sam Bennett.I forgot my Q players Pepin and Audette my defenceman Middleton and a backup forward McCann. Nick Schmaltz will be #1 this season with Sam Rinehart and Jake Virtanen close behind.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old
07-07-2013, 12:14 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
We'll see next year but Ekblad was dominant in the playoffs for Barrie. It's unlikely Barrie will be as good next year, so it will be tougher for Ekblad to dominate but so far, there's not a whole lot Ekblad could have done more.

I'll give the offensive game to Jones but defensively, Ekblad is very solid, more physical and doesn't commit as many turnovers.
Doesn't commit as many turnovers?

Probably because he has the puck less.

Subban has more turnovers than Gorges. Who would you prefer?

Ekblad will be a helluva player, but his upside isn't as high as Jones'.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:17 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

Well.. He did get exceptionnal status, it's hard to argue upside at this point.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:29 PM
ForeverHabs97

I hope we can somehow get Goldobin with our 1st next draft (:

Old
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHabs97 View Post
It would take landing in the 18-25th spot, I would think.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Ekblad is definitely good enough to rival Jones

Old
07-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
We need a center to complement Eller and Galchenyuk !

Old
07-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Mathletic

Quote:

Well yeah I'm aware of that

I implied that he played a more "efficient" game in terms of turnovers/possessions. Ekblad was voted as 2nd best defensive d-man by OHL eastern conference coaches. I don't think I'm offending many people saying Ekblad is a better defensive player (and safer in his own end) than Jones was after his 2nd USA NTDP season.

That said, nothing against Jones. He was dominant last year for Portland. For Ekblad to be considered on the same level as Jones come draft time, I think he'll have to step his game up offensively. However, after his sophomore season in the OHL, I'd say Ekblad is ahead overall (vs. Jones after his NTDP days).

Last edited by Mathletic: 07-07-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old
07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHabs97 View Post
I sure hope so. I saw him play quite a bit with Sarnia this year, although he's undersized, he's skilled, and has top 6 upside in the NHL. It will be very interesting to follow his progress next year in Sarnia where he will be relied upon heavily to carry their offense, as the Sting probably won't be very good next year unfortunately. It would also be interesting to see how he plays with fellow Russian Nikita Korostelev.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Okay so let's talk seriously. Goal here isn't to improve the Habs but to continue the tradition. People, if we don't draft a future Wolverine next year, we won't have a future Habs in a Wolverine jersey which is just unacceptable. But I have one name so far that will fix all that.

- Hayden Lavigne: Yeah. I know. We just drafted a goalie. Well I don't care. Nothing is ever sure in this goalie business, and this kid looks to me like a future stud. Will have some rebounds to take care of but is big, challenges the shooters, stands tall, he looks really really good.

Here's a vid...

Old
07-08-2013, 09:53 AM
S Bah

The Habs will be looking for strength down the middle and the QMJHL has a couple of choices that are appealing.

Alexis Pepin - Charlottetown Islanders - 6'2" -203 lbs. -RH - 1st rounder
Daniel Audette - Sherbrooke Phoenix - 5'8" - 168 lbs.- LH - ?

The USHL has a center of particular interest;

Nick Schmaltz - Green Bay Gamblers - Center All - Rookie - Team - 18g + 34a = 52pts
hgt. 5'11" wgt - 160 lbs. RH

Both Daniel Audette and Nick Schmaltz should be 1st round picks but size may hold them back, all the better for the Habs. Grab Pepin in the 1st, and trade for a late 1st & an early 2nd then draft all three. Talent to burn the opponents in those three.
-

Old
07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Why is Audette talk about as a first rounder ? there's at least 7-8 players from the Q i would pick before him (and that was before the import draft)

Old
07-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHP View Post
Why is Audette talk about as a first rounder ? there's at least 7-8 players from the Q i would pick before him (and that was before the import draft)
Tell us more about those 7-8 players ?

Audette has the talent to go in the first round. Wether he does or not is where we don't know...

Old
07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Tell us more about those 7-8 players ?

Audette has the talent to go in the first round. Wether he does or not is where we don't know...
-Ivan Barbashev: complete two-way player who play a N.A game. could go top10 in the draft. We have him #5 at hockeyprospect in our latest 2014 draft ranking, played last year with Jaskin & Danault. Had to learn the defensive game pretty fast Under Danny Flynn. Wore a letter for Russia at the U18 in April and was impressive.

-Alexis Pepin: big strong powerful Center/winger from Chalottetown. Can score and play very strong physical game. Might have thrown the best hit at the U17 hockey challenge on USA Keegan Iverson. beauty of a hit. Need to work on his skating & compete level from game to game. We have Pepin 17th in our ranking.

-Clark Bishop: NFLD kid who skate extremely well and his motor never stop. Was great at the U17 and did well enough on a bad team in Cape-Breton. Hard worker and play bigger than his size.

-Nicolas Aube-Kubel: Did very well for Val d'Or last season despite having limited minute and being burried most of the time on a 3rd or 4th line. very skill player who skate well and is a good puckhandler. Would like to see him engage more along the board. Will be interesting to see his production this year as he will get top2 line minutes.

-Julien Nantel: didn't want to play 4th line in major junior last yr so he decide to go back midget for another year. He was tremendous at the U17, using his size and speed to create scoring chances. terrific skater. can play a puck possesion game but also doesn't mind playing a dump & chase game. Won't be surprised to see him challenge to be pick in the first round come June 2014.

-Mason Mcdonald: terrific goaltender, not good looking stats but McDonald is a name to keep in mind. great size for a goalie already 6'3 170. Hoping he get more quality starts this upcoming season. was stuck behind Jacob Brennan last year.

-Julio Billia: Might had the best goaltending performance i saw all year at the U17 when he made 40sv vs Ontario power house. real quick goalie who need to bulk up, 6'0 but around 155lbs. Split time between Chicoutimi and his Midget team in Laval-Mtl last year. Will get some good playing time next season with the Sags.

-Duncan MacIntyre: I was surprised he was not invited to team Canada U18 camp, had a tough time with injuries last year & didn't get the same quality ice time as Carl Neil had in Sherbrooke. Superb skater from the backend, not an overly physical d-men but can step up with some tremendous open ice hit. Being coach by former nhl defensemen Philippe Boucher now it should help his developpement a lot.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:02 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
-Ivan Barbashev: complete two-way player who play a N.A game. could go top10 in the draft. We have him #5 at hockeyprospect in our latest 2014 draft ranking, played last year with Jaskin & Danault. Had to learn the defensive game pretty fast Under Danny Flynn. Wore a letter for Russia at the U18 in April and was impressive.

-Alexis Pepin: big strong powerful Center/winger from Chalottetown. Can score and play very strong physical game. Might have thrown the best hit at the U17 hockey challenge on USA Keegan Iverson. beauty of a hit. Need to work on his skating & compete level from game to game. We have Pepin 17th in our ranking.

-Clark Bishop: NFLD kid who skate extremely well and his motor never stop. Was great at the U17 and did well enough on a bad team in Cape-Breton. Hard worker and play bigger than his size.

-Nicolas Aube-Kubel: Did very well for Val d'Or last season despite having limited minute and being burried most of the time on a 3rd or 4th line. very skill player who skate well and is a good puckhandler. Would like to see him engage more along the board. Will be interesting to see his production this year as he will get top2 line minutes.

-Julien Nantel: didn't want to play 4th line in major junior last yr so he decide to go back midget for another year. He was tremendous at the U17, using his size and speed to create scoring chances. terrific skater. can play a puck possesion game but also doesn't mind playing a dump & chase game. Won't be surprised to see him challenge to be pick in the first round come June 2014.

-Mason Mcdonald: terrific goaltender, not good looking stats but McDonald is a name to keep in mind. great size for a goalie already 6'3 170. Hoping he get more quality starts this upcoming season. was stuck behind Jacob Brennan last year.

-Julio Billia: Might had the best goaltending performance i saw all year at the U17 when he made 40sv vs Ontario power house. real quick goalie who need to bulk up, 6'0 but around 155lbs. Split time between Chicoutimi and his Midget team in Laval-Mtl last year. Will get some good playing time next season with the Sags.

-Duncan MacIntyre: I was surprised he was not invited to team Canada U18 camp, had a tough time with injuries last year & didn't get the same quality ice time as Carl Neil had in Sherbrooke. Superb skater from the backend, not an overly physical d-men but can step up with some tremendous open ice hit. Being coach by former nhl defensemen Philippe Boucher now it should help his developpement a lot.
It's still a bit early to say Audette won't be a 1st rounder. He has more talent than everyone on this list besides Barbashev. It was quite obvious with Québec U17 that he was a step above most, only Pépin and Aubé-Kubel looked as good/better at times. Audette looked much better with players that could play with him and understand what he was trying to do.

But if we base ourselves on what he did last season, he shouldn't be considered as a 1st rounder.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:24 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:

I think Pépin will go in the first half of the first round. He played most of last season on tehe third line and got 18 goals. Could get 35+ goals this year with his size, skill and shot. Depending on how he worked on his skating this summer, I could see him make a push for the top-7 or 8 given how the top-end of the draft is not looking that open so I expect huge fluctuations.

Nantel, I have been bullish on for months on these boards. Can't see him not being picked in the top-50.

I have been an Audette defender but he had a so-so first season and the level of production and dominance he needs to achieved to be even considered in the first round discussion will be unattainable for him playing with JC Laflamme and JF Plante. He is by far the biggest loser of Kamaev bailing out. I still think people were too harsh on him given his circumstance on an expansion team and expect him to go in the third /fourth round.

Jérôme, great list as usual. I'm surprised you don't have Leblanc or one of the Sherbrooke 96 born Ds on that list. If Leblanc bulks up, I could see him go mid-second round. Anyway, that Euro draft just made the 2014 Q crop significantly better.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:58 PM
ccgg

Quote:

I totally agree with the comments about Pépin. He must focus on the gameplan. Sometimes he takes stupid penalties with slashing and roughing. Also, he doesn't backcheck really hard. But he worked a lot harder after being on a line with Yan-Pavel Laplante and Louick Marcotte at the beginning of February. But when he is concentrated, he can destroy anybody with a hit and he can score goals with his wrist shot when he wants to.

I also liked a lot Olivier Leblanc. Everytimes I saw him, he had poise with and without the puck. He was confident like a veteran. He is a very smooth skater, imo. I think he can become a very good two-way d-man. We'll see next season, I'm pretty sure that he will be drafted in the first four rounds.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Captain Saku

How do you guys compare the top 3 of next year with previous drafts?

Old
07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Jérôme, great list as usual. I'm surprised you don't have Leblanc or one of the Sherbrooke 96 born Ds on that list. If Leblanc bulks up, I could see him go mid-second round. Anyway, that Euro draft just made the 2014 Q crop significantly better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
I also liked a lot Olivier Leblanc. Everytimes I saw him, he had poise with and without the puck. He was confident like a veteran. He is a very smooth skater, imo. I think he can become a very good two-way d-man. We'll see next season, I'm pretty sure that he will be drafted in the first four rounds.
I could have put him instead of MacIntyre as my #8, love his two way game and also can play a physical game. but size is my issue with him right now, played last year at about 160-165lbs. if he get bigger he could be a riser out of the QMJHL.

Neil & Deschamps from Sherbrooke: love Deschamps game but upside is limited. great shutdown d-men but not much outside of that. Neil has some good upside but not sold on his skating and feet. Also need a lot of work in his own zone and does take too much risk with the puck for my liking. Cannot wait to see Jeremy Roy there next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
It's still a bit early to say Audette won't be a 1st rounder. He has more talent than everyone on this list besides Barbashev. It was quite obvious with Québec U17 that he was a step above most, only Pépin and Aubé-Kubel looked as good/better at times. Audette looked much better with players that could play with him and understand what he was trying to do.

But if we base ourselves on what he did last season, he shouldn't be considered as a 1st rounder.
i don't want to sound like an Audette basher, not denying his skll level but he's 5'8 so he better have 90+pts this season to have any chance to go in the top2 round. i didn't really care about his production as a 16yo, i just didn't like his attitude on the ice, trying to do much by himself a lot of time. need to get better without the puck too. Still think he goes top4 round anyway which is still good for any undersized player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
How do you guys compare the top 3 of next year with previous drafts?
not as good as this yr thats for sure, the top 3 right now look like Nylander/Reinhart/Ekblad. all 3 of them have some flaws, Nylander is an amazing talent but he need to trust his teammates more, Reinhart need to be dominant offensively next season & Ekblad need to cut down on mental error & improved his decision making. none of those guys jump at you like a MacKinnon or Jones as a futur super stars for the moment..

Last edited by JeromeHP: 07-08-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old
07-08-2013, 11:11 PM
le_sean

I would think the Habs will go defence heavy this draft considering they have only chosen one in the last two (Thrower).

Old
07-08-2013, 11:36 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:

Maybe he's still recovering from broken ribs.

Closed Thread