HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Riley Boychuk to NJD for Henrik Tallinder

Old
07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Tallinder was markedly worse than Sekera as a Devil, especially excluding this year, which was his best defensive season in New Jersey (albeit in the most sheltered role of his career).

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Just curious ..since we can retain salary ..is there any potential way to trade gerbes buyout this year and next year to aquire a Tallinder type contract..I searched the cba and found nothing.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Just curious ..since we can retain salary ..is there any potential way to trade gerbes buyout this year and next year to aquire a Tallinder type contract..I searched the cba and found nothing.
No, Gerbe is simply gone.

07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

This is a deal which really doesn't have much downside since the Sabres gave up the closest thing to a used puck bag as you can get.

Best case is that Tallinder comes in, looks like he did the last time he was a Sabre and Tyler Myers looks like he did as a rookie.

Worst case is that Tallinder is so bad that guys like Risto and Rudy and McNabb look light years better than him and he ends up a vet in Rochester ala Pardy last year.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:26 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Better? No. Younger and less injured. Yes. Maybe Hank is too old and his game will never come back, but before last season, when he was healthy, I would take Hank over Sekera every single day.
This isn't before last season anymore. Hank is on the downswing of his career and Sekera is in his prime.

I still don't understand your argument. I guess that Tallinder + Early 2nd > Sekera? Which I think you are dead wrong on it, but whatever.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
No, Gerbe is simply gone.
Ahh ..thank you I was hoping for a mccormick and gerbe buyout salary trade for a cap dump and pick. Nvm then

Old
07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
This is a deal which really doesn't have much downside since the Sabres gave up the closest thing to a used puck bag as you can get.

Best case is that Tallinder comes in, looks like he did the last time he was a Sabre and Tyler Myers looks like he did as a rookie.

Worst case is that Tallinder is so bad that guys like Risto and Rudy and McNabb look light years better than him and he ends up a vet in Rochester ala Pardy last year.
Gunna change your handle now ?

Old
07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Jeremy2020

Can't believe they gave up Chad Rinehart to get Hank back.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
This isn't before last season anymore. Hank is on the downswing of his career and Sekera is in his prime.

I still don't understand your argument. I guess that Tallinder + Early 2nd > Sekera? Which I think you are dead wrong on it, but whatever.
Tallinder + McBain + 2nd is >>>>> Sekera. IMO, Rutherford's asset management is questionable. That's all. We've been through all of the retorts and you can feel however you want to feel about it. Personally, if I were in Rutherford's shoes and paid a good price to get Sekera when I could have waited and gotten Hank for virtually nothing, I think I'd mis-played my hand. Time will tell and its just my opinion.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Tallinder + McBain + 2nd is >>>>> Sekera. IMO, Rutherford's asset management is questionable. That's all. We've been through all of the retorts and you can feel however you want to feel about it. Personally, if I were in Rutherford's shoes and paid a good price to get Sekera when I could have waited and gotten Hank for virtually nothing, I think I'd mis-played my hand. Time will tell and its just my opinion.
Not for a team trying to win now.

Sekera comes on the cheap for two more years and is better than both Tallinder and McBain (and it's not close). Rutherford improved his team.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
Can't believe they gave up Chad Rinehart to get Hank back.
Ex-Bills left guard Chad Rinehart? 6.5D at best. Dude is 300+lbs, he's a mess on skates. I wish him luck in Jersey.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:59 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Tallinder + McBain + 2nd is >>>>> Sekera.
Based on what, other than your gut? Do you have any even remotely objective evidence to back up this feeing at all? Sorry, but you seem completely out to lunch on this.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Based on what, other than your gut? Do you have any even remotely objective evidence to back up this feeing at all? Sorry, but you seem completely out to lunch on this.
So your telling me one Sekera is better than two NHL top 6 defensemen and a high 2nd in the deepest draft in memory? Who's out to lunch here?

Old
07-08-2013, 02:26 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

McBain isn't a top six defenseman, Tallinder's been in-and-out of the lineup with a huge drop-off potential because of his age and blood clot business.

Sekera is the much, much, much more sure thing.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
So your telling me one Sekera is better than two NHL top 6 defensemen and a high 2nd in the deepest draft in memory? Who's out to lunch here?
Sekera is a top 4 defenseman. Tallinder is an old declining fringe top 6 defenseman who's making as much in salary this season as Sekera is over the next two. He's absolutely no more than a cap dump which is why the Devils traded him for Riley Boychuk, who's a complete non-entity as far as being an NHL asset goes. McBain is a fringe NHL defenseman who has some marginal value as a reclamation project. The high 2nd and Sekera are the only assets with any meaningful value at all in this equation.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:52 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
McBain isn't a top six defenseman, Tallinder's been in-and-out of the lineup with a huge drop-off potential because of his age and blood clot business.

Sekera is the much, much, much more sure thing.
McBain's last three seasons:

76GP 19:06 ATOI
76GP 19:48 ATOI
40GP 18:25 ATOI

That's not a top 6 defenseman?

Up until last year, Hank had been playing top 4 minutes. Obviously he fell out of favor last year for various reasons, mainly that they wanted the young guys to play, but when he played he was effective.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Again, what the hell does Tallinder have to do with Sekera?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
McBain isn't a top six defenseman
He may have disappointed last year, but you don't get nearly 20 min in ice time your first 3 years and 18 your 4th if you aren't a top 6 defenseman.

McBain is most certainly a top 6er.....the question is -- can he become more than a third pairing QB PP or can he round his game and become a consistent 20 min top 4 guy?

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Again, what the hell does Tallinder have to do with Sekera?
Carolina could've had him for free instead of spending assets on Sekera, as I've said numerous times in this thread was my only point, and that IMO it was poor asset management by Rutherford, IMO. Why is this so hard?

Now someone is going to quote this and tell me why Sekera is better than Tallinder. And around and around we go.

Old
07-08-2013, 03:21 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Carolina could've had him for free instead of spending assets on Sekera, as I've said numerous times in this thread was my only point, and that IMO it was poor asset management by Rutherford, IMO. Why is this so hard?

Now someone is going to quote this and tell me why Sekera is better than Tallinder. And around and around we go.
Why exactly does that not matter? Sekera is better and younger and therefore had more trade value. It's astronomically simple to understand. Better is better, younger is better, better + younger is much better which = much more value

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

"Free" relative only to hockey related assets. $2,425,000 more in salary to retain McBain and bring in Tallinder, who is clearly not a top 4 any more. Sekera is a top 4 and is less expensive.

Feel free to run it past Cane fans if you think they feel they got the wrong end of the deal by adding Tallinder into the equation. They probably realize that they got the better player now and in the foreseeable future for their top four rather than spending more money on a lesser player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Why exactly does that not matter? Sekera is better and younger and therefore had more trade value. It's astronomically simple to understand. Better is better, younger is better, better + younger is much better which = much more value
You also forgot cheaper is better.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
McBain and Tallinder are both bottom pair guys at this point. Any team would take Sekera over them if their goal is to win. Look, I love the moves from our perspective based on where we're at, but it's really all about Compher and then filling some roster spots in the short term. Sekera is easily a more valuable player than McBain and Tallinder combined at this point.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:32 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

Purely from a "value" standpoint, you can make an argument that Tallinder + McBain + 2nd > Sekera.

However, looking at it realistically, Carolina needed a top-4 D-man and got that. Tallinder and McBain don't matter because they were not and would not be top-4 D-men. The 2nd round pick COULD be, and even then it might take time.

Carolina got exactly what it wanted, a sure-fire top-4 guy on a great contract.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Purely from a "value" standpoint, you can make an argument that Tallinder + McBain + 2nd > Sekera.
I feel like this is the same concept of "value" that crops up in video games where if you pile enough middling assets together you can trade them for a single significantly better asset.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
I feel like this is the same concept of "value" that crops up in video games where if you pile enough middling assets together you can trade them for a single significantly better asset.
Hey, don't knock it. Using this strategy I was able to acquire the first 14 picks in the draft so I could make sure all this year's top prospects went to the teams that really drafted them.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote