HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 New Division Thoughts / Discussion

Old
07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Honestly, I haven't had real hate for them since they were the North Stars in the Norris Division and I lived in West St. Louis County... Divisional playoffs tended to make you 'hate' on other teams and fan-bases more. Many Blues fans were always steeped in that hate early on and why they are so loathed when they try to take over your building and why I have fun with them as a turn-coat that went 'native' in Nashville.
And some people have poo-pooed the new division playoffs saying that it will get boring... guess they weren't into the NHL last time we had a setup like this!

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
And some people have poo-pooed the new division playoffs saying that it will get boring... guess they weren't into the NHL last time we had a setup like this!
First NHL game I ever went to was the Blues vs the North Stars in the old St. Louis Arena. I sat behind the Stars goal for $18 which was next to the Zamboni entrance where they let the opposing teams on/off the ice. When the North Stars came onto the ice they rolled out a large plywood box in the Zamboni entrance that everyone beat on and shouted obscenities at the players. It was truly my first encounter with an unleashing of emotion not unlike the Roman Mob of old.

Trust me that I saw many more fights in the stands at the old Arena/Checkerdome in St. Louis for Hawks/Blues games than I ever did on the ice. That said, you could also get seats on the glass for $30 in the '80s as well, which put blue-collar brewery workers and 'union-thugs' from Chicago in close quarters. $2 for a beer and quick lines at the communal urinals also didn't help a lot either!

Not likely to happen in Nashville at the prices charged now IMO; but things will get testy in close quarters as familiarity breeds contempt in a rival.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Winnipeg lost Bumistrov to the KHL today. Definite cellar dwellers in the division now.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Winnipeg lost Bumistrov to the KHL today. Definite cellar dwellers in the division now.
As we thought with Columbus last season too... no need to take them lightly either.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
First NHL game I ever went to was the Blues vs the North Stars in the old St. Louis Arena. I sat behind the Stars goal for $18 which was next to the Zamboni entrance where they let the opposing teams on/off the ice. When the North Stars came onto the ice they rolled out a large plywood box in the Zamboni entrance that everyone beat on and shouted obscenities at the players. It was truly my first encounter with an unleashing of emotion not unlike the Roman Mob of old.

Trust me that I saw many more fights in the stands at the old Arena/Checkerdome in St. Louis for Hawks/Blues games than I ever did on the ice. That said, you could also get seats on the glass for $30 in the '80s as well, which put blue-collar brewery workers and 'union-thugs' from Chicago in close quarters. $2 for a beer and quick lines at the communal urinals also didn't help a lot either!

Not likely to happen in Nashville at the prices charged now IMO; but things will get testy in close quarters as familiarity breeds contempt in a rival.
As I've said before, I'm tired of one-sided rivalries. Probably 5 teams have claimed a "rivalry" with DET at some point and continue to do so. I'm all for striking up a mutual rowdiness with DAL for the long haul; we're both non-traditional markets with some grit and similar talent levels. STL and CHI can have each other. Leave MIN, WPG, and COL to figure it out for themselves, though I'd probably bank on COL / MIN developing something over time.

Rivalries are important to me; that DAL game this past season on NBC (maybe NBCSN, can't remember) was the most awesome non-playoff game we've had in multiple seasons imo and I typically watch 75+ Preds games a year.

Cashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:12 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
As I've said before, I'm tired of one-sided rivalries. Probably 5 teams have claimed a "rivalry" with DET at some point and continue to do so. I'm all for striking up a mutual rowdiness with DAL for the long haul; we're both non-traditional markets with some grit and similar talent levels. STL and CHI can have each other. Leave MIN, WPG, and COL to figure it out for themselves, though I'd probably bank on COL / MIN developing something over time.

Rivalries are important to me; that DAL game this past season on NBC (maybe NBCSN, can't remember) was the most awesome non-playoff game we've had in multiple seasons imo and I typically watch 75+ Preds games a year.
I would imagine that a few ex-Thrasher fans would make the trip to lob insults and barbs at their old team for a few more years... Plus StL is the closest team to us geographically in the division and IMO will be our most bitter rival in the near term.

The point is that the rivalries from the old Norris Division were what I imagine were in mind when they drew up the divisions and playoff format...

Old
07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:

The new coferences and playoff arrangements are my favorite thing to come out of a team relocating. Dallas games were great last year and so were St. Louis. Minnesota will also be a hated team, especially if we ever end up meeting in the playoffs.

I'm definitely excited about having these new teams to become familiar with. Having actual rivalries will be good for our popularity too. Everybody loves a good storyline.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:10 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I officially hate Dallas now! they have gone too far in minor signings! http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/07/0...chris-mueller/
I read the story. Mike Moore was the team captain last season. Scott Ford was the captain the year before that. The story says that Mueller was the captain in Milwaukee. Either my memory is bad, or he was just an assistant. Good luck Chris!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
WartracePred

As long as Leopold and Suter are in Minny, I will hate them as much as a fan can hate another team. Even though I like the folks I know from the state, I'll never get over Suter's decision.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:07 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I would imagine that a few ex-Thrasher fans would make the trip to lob insults and barbs at their old team for a few more years... Plus StL is the closest team to us geographically in the division and IMO will be our most bitter rival in the near term.

The point is that the rivalries from the old Norris Division were what I imagine were in mind when they drew up the divisions and playoff format...
Yep... Winnipeg is my most hated team now. Being in the same division next year will take it to even another level.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I honestly don't know who I'll hate the most but I already hate the blues and minny. Dallas shall be hated as well. Hating Colorado and the peg will take time

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:29 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

My two most hated rivals will be Minnesota(obvious reasons) and St Louis(because I live there).

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
SkarEffect

Quote:
For those living under a rock, our new division next year is as follows:

I think we improved our team measurably, are very strong on the backend, and have a good chance of being a playoff team come next April. That said, when you step back and look at the teams we have to surpass to still be dancing next spring, it is not going to be an easy path by any means.

To be guaranteed to make the playoffs, we need to be in the top 3 in our division. The #7 and #8 seeds from the Western Conference are chosen by total points (i.e. the "Pacific" division could have five teams while we have three if their #5 seed has more points than our #4 seed). Given the parity at the center, I would not be shocked if we only sent three teams to the playoffs

As it stands, I see three tiers:

Tier 1
Chicago
St. Louis

Tier 2
Dallas
Nashville
Minnesota
Winnipeg

Tier 3
Colorado

It's going to be a bear to be #3 or above, and if I'm honest with myself, Winnipeg and Nashville could really be in the third tier. As usual, I think this season hinges on Rinne. If he can bounce back from surgery with a .930 SV% type of year, I think we can make some noise.

What does everyone else think?
I haven't been able to watch much hockey so I never knew about this new division. I can't wait to see the Preds smash my old team.

SkarEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:15 AM
PredsHabs
HFBoards Sponsor

As long as we have a good year as far as injuries go we will do fine.
Defense+Rinne= As good a shot as anybody else has

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:44 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looking at that chart tells me that it's only a matter of time (two years is my guess) until Seattle/Portland and QC (CBJ or Det heads west) gets added to the league.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Looking at that chart tells me that it's only a matter of time (two years is my guess) until Seattle/Portland and QC (CBJ or Det heads west) gets added to the league.
So if/when the league adds teams in Toronto & Quebec, then what happens? Toronto plays in ACC, instead of Markham, does T2 join our division and Colorado heads back to Conference IV?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:26 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
So if/when the league adds teams in Toronto & Quebec, then what happens? Toronto plays in ACC, instead of Markham, does T2 join our division and Colorado heads back to Conference IV?
Seattle (maybe Portland as there's interest there too) and QC get teams. A gets Seattle, B gets Detroit, and C gets QC.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Seattle (maybe Portland as there's interest there too) and QC get teams. A gets Seattle, B gets Detroit, and C gets QC.
The only way the Seattle Seamen come to fruition is if the Coyotes lose 50 mil in 4 years time, oh wait that's possible QC & T2 are the only expansion moves $$$$$$$$$$$$

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:50 AM
weeze

I think Chicago is the best offensive team in our division for sure but not sold on there goalie. Played very well last yr but not so good 2 yrs ago. All of Chicago wanted a trade for Luongo or anyone other than Crawford. If he doesn't decline than they should finish 1. After that than it is a toss-up between St Louis, Min, Dallas and Preds. If Colorado get some D help, their offense could be very good, they make a splash. Peg is the bottom of the Division.

If we do not have the injuries we had last yr I could see Preds possibly end up in 2nd but more than likely 3-5. If our PK/PP returns to form from 2 yrs ago we will end up in 2nd behind Chicago.

Sorry to lose Detroit but since I live in the middle of IL (hell), I like being able to go to St Louis or Chicago to watch my Preds play!

I think our next biggest rivalry team may be Dallas. Chicago and St Louis are rivalries but they also hate each other. Hate Minn for 2 obvious reasons. The Dallas games were brutal last yr. Very physical with lots of pounding on each other. Hopefully Nystrom can help us with a couple of beat-downs for the Stars this season!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
The only way the Seattle Seamen come to fruition is if the Coyotes lose 50 mil in 4 years time, oh wait that's possible QC & T2 are the only expansion moves $$$$$$$$$$$$
I keep hearing vague reports that suggest that T2 is Not Going To Happen, but I never did get the chance to check their veracity, so that may well be just the desperate hopes of fans in other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
I think Chicago is the best offensive team in our division for sure but not sold on there goalie. Played very well last yr but not so good 2 yrs ago.
Crawford is a young goaltender who's been working on his game. Would you dismiss Josi 'cause he wasn't really NHL-ready before this past year?

(Also, I assume you mean the year before last, which was his sophomore slump year. He was quite good in 2010-2011.)

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote