HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The cost ($$) of youth hockey

Old
07-08-2013, 03:04 AM
joelef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
When did the transition happen?
Last 25 years . The same time this happened new immigrants started coming in.

joelef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:48 AM
Dirty Old Man
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
If anyone has any tips on how to get started at 30, by all means, Im listening.
I could offer advice as someone who took up the sport in 2000 at age 35 and still plays - but since I did so in Phoenix, and you pretty much have come out as not wanting me to exist, never mind.

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
And that's why I grew up playing soccer. As much as my dad loved hockey, I'll never wonder why he didn't let me play. We weren't exactly rich...
Is gas cheaper for soccer parents? Meals, hotels, tournament entry fees, high quality soccer camps? What I tried to express is yes hockey can set you back 500 for equipment, if you don't go insane. The rest of hockey costs are more of a lifestyle, if you can afford it great. Good times will roll lots of weekend getaways and you can always claim them as hockey expenses

Playing soccer in different cities a dozen times a year adds up as well.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...l-youth-hockey

Dad adds up the cost of ten years of hockey.

[/B]
Honestly, if your kid is any good, it generally costs WAY more than that. Over a 12 year stretch, from 6-18 (depends on CHL, Major AAA, etc), if you attend several tournaments a year and really start traveling at 10? You're probably somewhere around $120 - $150k depending on where you live. $12 - 15K a year isnt out of the ordinary starting at 10. $1000 weekends seem to come more than enough.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
JMT21

I realize I'm dating myself quite a bit, but I'm sure guys in their 40's can relate. I started playing organized hockey back in 1975 when I was 7 at the community club level. For some reason I clearly remember my dad shelling out $15.00 for me to play the full season. Thing was back then we never dreamed of playing on indoor ice. Didn't play my first "indoor" game until I was 10 or 11. Indoor ice was reserved for the older kids and those with higher skill levels.

My last year playing (1981 or 82)..... my dad mentioned even then with all games played indoors, he only shelled out around $250.00 for the full season.

Hockey camps, spring/summer clinics and out of town tournaments were few and far between back in my day. How things have changed. I have to hand it to today's parents willing to shell out big big cash for their kids to play hockey despite the chances of their child hitting the big time to be very very slim.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Flying

where i live we have the ed snider program which is good, but most of the kids who want to take it more seriously on their high school or club team have to pay for everything out of pocket. i remember one high school here's registration fee/everything else was so high that the interested freshman got e-mails about fundraising about 4 months before school even started.

i ended up just taking up martial arts instead that year.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Is gas cheaper for soccer parents? Meals, hotels, tournament entry fees, high quality soccer camps? What I tried to express is yes hockey can set you back 500 for equipment, if you don't go insane. The rest of hockey costs are more of a lifestyle, if you can afford it great. Good times will roll lots of weekend getaways and you can always claim them as hockey expenses

Playing soccer in different cities a dozen times a year adds up as well.
I think that's a big key with the costs here, comparing the costs for a girl who played both travel and high school hockey and whose dad spent $1,000/year on clinics with a kid playing house league soccer isn't an apples to apples comparison.

A good friend of mine played a very high level of soccer growing up, ended up going on to play semi-pro. He paid an awful lot more than just $75 bucks a year for cleats and a small team registration fee.

Compare the bare entry level costs for each sport.

A kid with minimum equipment playing house league or high school only. Not traveling around to different cities for tournaments, not going to elite clinics, just playing the sport to have fun.

07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Wouldnt even know where to start. I get the basics of ice skating, but the last time I went for an open session (like 10 years ago) I damn near faceplanted trying to learn how to stop.

Then again, I was using rental skates that were likely dull, and probably werent a good fit tbh.

I'm not sure what's available in your area, but a coworker who is in his early 30s started playing recently. He found a local beginners camp and signed up.

Was once a week for 3ish months and they went over the basics of how to skate properly, how to actually play, etc. (It assumed you knew the basic rules of hockey, but had never actually played). I'm not sure what the cost was, but it wasn't prohibitive for him to just try it out.

If you call some local rinks/complexes they could likely get you info on similar classes and once you have the basics down can likely point you to lower level bar/pickup leagues and you can build from there.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:39 AM
cutchemist42

Hockey as a whole should really do something about cutting out the tourneys. It sucks because even when I wanted to start hockey, my parents admitted they hated the cost of it. Now at 28 I love goaltending, but only after I spent around $900 of my own money on equip. (Only expensive item I spent on was the helmet)

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Hockey as a whole should really do something about cutting out the tourneys. It sucks because even when I wanted to start hockey, my parents admitted they hated the cost of it. Now at 28 I love goaltending, but only after I spent around $900 of my own money on equip. (Only expensive item I spent on was the helmet)
I agree.
Most travel teams in my town will have a minimum of 4 out-of-town tournaments.
With gas, food and hotel, that's $2000 (minimum) just for tournaments.

I was also told that my son could potentially be in over 60 games this season (not even including practice).

To me, that's ridiculous. 1 game, 1 practice per week, plus maybe 1 or 2 tournaments is more than enough.

The problem is the parents. They get it in their mind that they're watching pro's play and that every game is life or death.

I've watched enough of my nephews and nieces travel games to see the craziness that goes on.
I'm really dreading the idea of my kid playing travel this year.

I made a promise to bring my kid out to tryouts, but I think I'll be telling the coach to cut my kid.
I don't have a lot of interest in plopping down $3000 for a youth sport.
Not to mention the idea of my kid being on the ice 80+ times in a season. He's 7. School should be his #1 priority and he shouldn't have to commit to only hockey as a hobby for 6 months.
With 80 games/practices, there'll be hardly anything left for other activities he enjoys like basketball and swimming.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post
I agree.

I was also told that my son could potentially be in over 60 games this season (not even including practice).

To me, that's ridiculous. 1 game, 1 practice per week, plus maybe 1 or 2 tournaments is more than enough.

The problem is the parents. They get it in their mind that they're watching pro's play and that every game is life or death.

I've watched enough of my nephews and nieces travel games to see the craziness that goes on.

I made a promise to bring my kid out to tryouts, but I think I'll be telling the coach to cut my kid.
Not to mention the idea of my kid being on the ice 80+ times in a season. He's 7. School should be his #1 priority and he shouldn't have to commit to only hockey as a hobby for 6 months.
With 80 games/practices, there'll be hardly anything left for other activities he enjoys like basketball and swimming.
Yeah I don't know why, but I have felt from friends and anecdotal stories that hockey is the 1 sport where they don't want you branching out, with that sometimes including summer sports like baseball even.

Less icetime should be used, do the CHL/NCAA teams really need 40-50 games to evaluate kids??

Old
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
NorthernILHawksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post
I agree.

There's always house leagues

NorthernILHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ya it wasnt always like that though, as in "back in the day", the 20's right through the 60's. When I started in house league as a forward early 60's, cost was absolutely minimal, the goalie supplied with equipment, shared amongst the teams. Then when I took up playing net, you could buy new pads, gloves, goalie skates etc for about $200 all-in, less if you did the exchanges, buying used. Cooper was the leading manufacturer at that time, GP pads from Jr-Sr ranging from like $50-$300; blockers & trappers, GM3-12, full range, maybe $40 for the set to $200 by the early 70's. Plante Fibrosport mask $30, or if you went custom, $125, Plante or say Harrison. If you were elite or played on a school team, the teams had deals with retailers or direct from the manufacturers, wholesale prices, some of it free, supplied along with jerseys, pants, socks, gloves & helmets. It was within reach of everyone really. Registration fee's including practices minimal. Boys Clubs in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg etc. Store-rooms full of gear used year in year out by those who couldnt afford even skates. Really kind of sad to see whats happened through the late 70's on. Now youve pretty much gotta be upper middle class to even entertain the notion of putting your kids in hockey.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
sabresEH

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but does anyone remember the article from THN about Patrick Kane and how much his dad spent on his minor career? Now Patty's dad has a bit of money and he had Patty playing as much as he could. Couple different teams during the season and hockey camps 7 out of the 8 weeks in the summer(only reason it was 8 for 8 was he couldn't find one during the one week) so he went a little overboard(but it paid off) but Kane's minor hockey career ended up costing his dad over 200k. Effin ridiculous.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
cutchemist42

Serious question, everything gained from hockey participation could easily be gained playing a cheaper sport correct?

Old
07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Serious question, everything gained from hockey participation could easily be gained playing a cheaper sport correct?
You could play a nearly identical sport on the same size surface for half the price:

http://hmla.goalline.ca/news.php?news_id=516113

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:43 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

There are adult Co-Rec leagues out there (At least there are in Washington). From beginners to those who are exceptional.

superdeluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
...so he went a little overboard(but it paid off) but Kane's minor hockey career ended up costing his dad over 200k. Effin ridiculous.
Ya, most of the Americans being drafted, really going back to the late 70's on up through the 80's, 90's & 00's are from upper-middle-class backgrounds and or from families who did indeed shell-out lots as the costs for Registration etc once you get on a travel team be it California, Michigan or wherever can run you well north of $10,000+ per season no problem. Add in summer camps, clinics & the like, serious money. Ideally, Id like to see the NHL & the NHLPA along with Hockey USA in conjunction with their sponsors (Reebok etc) and the individual franchises do a lot more in providing funds & intelligence, contributing to the building of rinks, working with community sports groups etc in establishing leagues, lowering costs at the entry to elite amateur levels throughout the States rather than just leaving it up to the teams themselves. San Jose, Anaheim & Dallas have done a fair amount in that regard, but much much more could be done if indeed the league really does have any interest in "growing the game" beyond just plunking down franchises wherever & expecting it to just happen through association & osmosis.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
There's just something special about hockey, though. It doesn't feel the same as playing lacrosse. Even playing ice hockey isn't the same as playing roller hockey.

When you're charging hard up the wing, you're flying, man. It's likely the fastest you'll ever move on your two feet. Literally walking on water. A highly addictive experience to say the least.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
of course. But then at the same time, it's hard to force a kid who has their heart set on hockey to be happy playing in a basketball rec league.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Lacaar

Travel (transportation, lodging, meals): $10,500 Club dues: $20,000
Camps, clinics, and lessons: $10,000

so of the 48k total 40k of it can be attributed to pretty much any sport a kids plays at a high level.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Travel (transportation, lodging, meals): $10,500 Club dues: $20,000... Camps, clinics, and lessons: $10,000... so of the 48k total 40k of it can be attributed to pretty much any sport a kids plays at a high level.
Where are you getting these numbers from? Ive heard anecdotally that in Southern California, Texas, Michigan and a few other spots easy to drop $20K in one year including summer camps etc...

but $48K?!!!

Old
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Where are you getting these numbers from? Ive heard anecdotally that in Southern California, Texas, Michigan and a few other spots easy to drop $20K in one year including summer camps etc...

but $48K?!!!
That is the father/daughter in the original articles total cost in ten years.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:16 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
of course. But then at the same time, it's hard to force a kid who has their heart set on hockey to be happy playing in a basketball rec league.
Unless the kid is a spoiled brat, they should move on. When I asked my parents, I wasn't a money expert but i knew what "dont have the money" meant.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
That is the father/daughter in the original articles total cost in ten years.
Ohhh, ok then. $48K in one year, well, it is entirely possible if you went nuts. Like a private academy (Ontario Hockey Academy, High School, hockey intensive, tuition alone is $35,000+ per year), boarding included, a travel team, summer camp etc.