HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varada's Replacement

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 05:51 PM
montysens

vCash: 500
Varada's Replacement

Lets hear some ideas!
Who do you think would be a good replacement..

Old
01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
EJsens1

Mike Ricci is always a name that creeps into Ottawa, whether or not he has actually been pursued is another issue. He would be similar IMO. Problem being San Jose is playing well and has a decent shot at the playoffs if they continue their play as is.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Suiteness

Like I said in the other thread, I'd like to get Ville Nieminen over here.

He plays a game similar to Varada, decent two way player who'll sacrifice the body and take the abuse. And honestly, how hard can it be to get him out of the dump that is Chicago?

Old
01-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Volchenkov

What I would like to see would be for Havlat to move onto the Bonk-Hossa line and for Neil to replace Havlat on the 3rd line. He did a lot of effective work on the Spezza-Smolinski line.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Ron Jeremy

Two words for ya: MATT BARNABY.
OK two more: CHRIS SIMON.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:07 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouDaMan
Two words for ya: MATT BARNABY.
OK two more: CHRIS SIMON.
Barnaby's already said he has no interest in playing for Ottawa (he said that last year), and Simon is no replacement for Varada.

What needs to be replaced is Varada's ability to agitate without taking excessive undisciplined penalties, ability to play in the top-9 forwards, ability to play both special teams, and willingness to drive to the net.

As a side note, I feel that Varada was a far more astute acquisition by Muckler than people were seemingly giving it credit for at the time - mainly because of this versatility that he brings to the table.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Mike Fisher.

The way Schaefer and Smoke are playing, I think a top 3 on the left side of Fisher, Schaefer and Smoke will be fine for the playoffs, with a 4th line rotation of Vermette and Schastlivy.

They'll still look to add a forward at the deadline, but this gives Mucks the option of going out and getting another forward before the trade deadline that doesn't necesarily have to be a LWer first and foremost. Preferablly a forward with some versatility and toughness ala Jason Wiemer, who can play a few different forward positions, thereby giving Martin a few more options in the event of any forward injury. Going for a Gratton or Arnott type is another possibility, although Arnott will be more expensive to acquire (i.e Schastlivy and a 1st minumum).

Old
01-08-2004, 07:54 AM
sensfan18

Tyson Nash. A super pest just like Varada, while he might not score goals he agitates the hell out of everyone (plus we have enough goal scoring). The guy could most likely be had without giving up a core player or a top prospect, we may even be able to pawn off Shastlivy for him.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:36 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Tyson Nash. A super pest just like Varada, while he might not score goals he agitates the hell out of everyone (plus we have enough goal scoring). The guy could most likely be had without giving up a core player or a top prospect, we may even be able to pawn off Shastlivy for him.
True enough - Nash may be the one we eventually acquire if only because he'd probably be the easiest. I've brought this name up before, but someone I wouldn't mind seeing brought in would be Todd Harvey - more disciplined than Nash, and may well have a better all-round skill set (though Nash has been used in special teams play more in recent years).

Last edited by sensens: 01-08-2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old
01-08-2004, 10:57 AM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
True enough - Nash may be the one we eventually acquire if only because he'd probably be the easiest. I've brought this name up before, but someone I wouldn't mind seeing brought in would be Todd Harvey - more disciplined than Nash, and may well have a better all-round skill set (though Nash has been used in special teams play more in recent years).
I am also a fan of Harvey and would not mind him being brough in. Although, we could have had him for free at the beginning of the year off waivers.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Tico

What about Hinote?

And in a related vein, what solid D do you guys have available (or is this out of the question with Volchenkov out)?

Old
01-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
And in a related vein, what solid D do you guys have available (or is this out of the question with Volchenkov out)?
Nobody, and not just because of injuries to Volchenkov and Pothier. The Sens' blueline has been playing out of their minds the last month or so, but that can't last forever - it would be nice for the Sens to be able to add a veteran defenceman for the stretch run and the playoffs.

Other Dave

Old
01-09-2004, 10:08 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
We need more puck poise...we should get Skoula.

Yeah, yeah...I suck...but it's funny!

Old
01-09-2004, 11:54 AM
sensfan18

I think the type of D'men Muck will look at will be a Odelein, Richardson, maybe Bougner. Richardson is a good physical local lad, he'd be an alright addition for depth.

Old
01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
I think the type of D'men Muck will look at will be a Odelein, Richardson, maybe Bougner. Richardson is a good physical local lad, he'd be an alright addition for depth.
I like the idea of Richardson too acutally...the bouggie man would be at the top of my list.

Old
01-09-2004, 12:19 PM
r19

I agree Ville Nieminem would be great,he's very much like varada,he plays hard,goes to the net, he's a pest, and a sound two way player.
And he doesn't take stupid penalties.
Tyson Nash would be my second choice, he is a good skater,major pest, and will drop the gloves

Old
01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
gbl1p

Anyone else think its time to start up the Georges Laraque talk? I think he would bring a great amount of that toughness needed at the moment. Edmonton is apparently looking to dish him off. Hell, if nothing else have him for the next Leafs game. Big Georges can handle business and, as witnessed last year in the playoffs, he can play.

Closed Thread