HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Half way report card

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 01:02 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Half way report card

I realize LHMF already did one but hey the more the merrier.

A+ - York - Understand LHMF's point about letting anyone get an A+ on a non-playoff team but these are individual ratings. If everyone had the offensive numbers York has, played as well defensively as York has and put the effort York does every night this team would be a playoff team. First half Oiler MVP and most likely our all-star representative.

B+ - Torres - Excellent production. Was expecting a gritty in your face forward, maybe didn't get as much grit as expected but he has more than made up for it in production.

B+ - Jason Smith - No he doesn't do the big hit as often but has been the rock of gibraltor behind our Blueline. One of the league leaders in plus minus on a bad defensive team says it all.

B+ - Staios Getting too much ice time lately but that is not his fault. Has been good from the start of the season.

B+ - Moreau - Never is going to put up big offensive numbers but has been a solid performer all year. The one guy that was fighting, making big hits, running goaltenders to try to get this team going. Too bad there weren't enough followers :mad:

B - Bergeron - Very good offensively for a young guy but must improve defensively if he wants to stay in the lineup.

B- - Conklin - Where would we have been if he didn't play well while Salo was injured and out to lunch. I don't believe he is the answer to our starting goalie position and last nights first goal should be a clue to why I feel that way Conklin lets in soft goals too but he just isn't scrutinized as much as Salo for obvious reasons.

B- - Dvorak - He hasn't scored as many goals as I would like but does a great job of setting them up. Also good defensively.

B - Brewer - Struggled early in the season but now is playing his best hockey and has been an absolute horse on the blueline lately. Teams are obviously noticing as trade rumours are compounding. Young dman take time to mature. Could he be maturing into the player that he was drafted to be? Too soon to tell but can't help but like what we are seeing lately.

B - Cross - Yeah he is a little slow but leads all our dman in goals. Thats what happens when you hit the net and don't shoot it wide. Are you listening guys?

B - Stoll - Young guy that is mature beyond his years. Never hurts us defensively has been good on faceoffs. Would like to see more offensive production before I can give a higher grade. Mactavish is bringing him along slowly.

B - Hemsky - Still a young guy but needs to learn to shoot more and not to hold on to the puck too long. Gonna be a great player but he has a ways to go. Nothing wrong with that it is only his 2nd NHL season.

C+ - Semenov - Not as physical as he needs to be but still young. Ulanov will help him. Struggled early, playing better lately. Needs to use that heavy shot that he has and hit the net with it.

C+ - Pisani - Defence is keeping him in the lineup but would like to see more production. I think he has it in him.

C- - Smyth - Needs to be the leader on this team offensively and needs to be a leader on and off the ice. Has not been consistent all year and last nights selfish penalty is not what a guy wearing a C should be doing. Some nights he looks like the Ryan Smyth of old, other nights he struggles. We need more from 94.

C - Isbister - Consistency is the problem. Some nights he looks like Bertuzzi in training but most nights he looks like a plugger. Will he ever be consistent? Jury still out.

C- - Ferguson - Too slow but not as bad IMO as many on this board think. A stop gap until one of our younger defenders is ready for the show. He is never going to be fancy, what you see is what you get.

D+ - Horcoff - Has shown signs of coming out of funk but he can play better. Too many turnovers and not enough production to get a higher grade.

D+ - Oates - Has helped on faceoffs but he is always just a step behind. I don't have problems with experiments or trying to make the team better but this one is obviously not working as much as we had hoped.

D - Chimera - Sometimes plays gritty and uses his speed but not enough. Showed lots of promise last year, very dissapointing.

D- - Salo - Never the same since the Olympic fiasco. Our goaltending is one of the reasons were are looking up at a playoff postion. If we have any chance at the playoffs he needs to excel in the second half.

F - Laraque - Very disapointing season. He hasn't been much of an enforcer and hasn't been a force in the offensive zone either. Blech!

Not grading Reasoner or Ulanov. Reasoner out for extended time with injury, Ulanov has only played two games in Oiler silks.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Reasoner-> A
Ulanov-> A+

This list looks a bit more realistic then the one posted a few games ago.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:18 PM
HotToddy

I respectfully disagree that on a team that is 23rd in a 30 team league we have 12 players who deserve 'B' or higher for the first half. This team was mediocre at best in the first half and there are few players who can stand up and be proud a bout what they accomplished so far.

I still have the biggest disagreement about Moreau, in December when the team really started to slump and we really needed old "heart & soul" to step up he went 12 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -3 and 14 PIMS. He did alot alright a whole of nothing.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I realize LHMF already did one but hey the more the merrier.
I did a half-season report card? Must've done it in my sleep or something.

I commented on someone else's, but actually didn't do one myself.

Thanks for the credit though Spaz

Old
01-09-2004, 01:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
I respectfully disagree that on a team that is 23rd in a 30 team league we have 12 players who deserve 'B' or higher for the first half. This team was mediocre at best in the first half and there are few players who can stand up and be proud a bout what they accomplished so far.

I still have the biggest disagreement about Moreau, in December when the team really started to slump and we really needed old "heart & soul" to step up he went 12 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -3 and 14 PIMS. He did alot alright a whole of nothing.
Kinda funny how different people view things. IMO it was more telling that more than half the team had marks of C+ or less and that is why we weren't in the playoffs. But there are still good individual performances.

I expected some disagreement about Moreau. I mentioned my expectations in my review you have different ones for Moreau and that is perfectly understandable.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:27 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I did a half-season report card? Must've done it in my sleep or something.

I commented on someone else's, but actually didn't do one myself.

Thanks for the credit though Spaz
Sorry I thought it was you. My apologies.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:37 PM
copperandblue

As you said the more the merrier...

Players

Forwards
York - A - Has done exactly what I've hoped for.
Dvorak - B - Has played quite well. Works hard but my knock against him is I expected more goals.
Torres - A- - He has exceeded expectation for what is still essentially his rookie year. Few mistakes but over all very good.
Smyth - C+ - Numbers are down, chances are down but at the same time he was put in a crappy situation at the beinning of the year. Tough call. I expect a better second half.
Oates - D - It has taken him much too long to get back in the groove. Only saving grace is his help on the dot.
Isbister - C- - He's been all over the map. I guess the same critisisms he faced his whole career have once again followed him here.
Hemsky - B - I think he is doing quite well. Sophmore year. Still showing the same flashes of what to expect. His knock against is still not shooting and seems to be avoiding the physical play this year.
Moreau - A- - What more can you ask for. The guy has never been able to score so don't ask for points.
Stoll - B - Has done quite well and seems to be getting better as the year progresses.
Pisani - D- Why is he in the line up? Sure Moreau can't score but he plays with heart and passion. He needs to start doing something other than simply getting in the oppositions way.
Chimera - C- - I feel bad for the kid. He hasn't been strong but it's hard to fight through mistakes when your on such a short leash.
Horcoff - D-- See Pisani. Although he has been playing a little better lately. No where near what he teased us with at the end of last year.
Laraque - D - He's been discussed to death already.
Reasoner - incomplete

Defence
Smith - A - Back to the guy who was made captain.
Staios - A- He can't do any more then he has been.
Brewer - C+ - Struggled early but is playing much better. Even when he was struggling I think he was being judged against what people want him to be and not what he actually is so a little slack was given to him.
Semenov - C+ - Up and down year but has been coming on late. Would be nice to see him shoot more.
Cross - D- - Can't figure out why he is here. Just a taller, softer and more expensive Ferguson.
Bergeron - B- - I think he has done quite well when he is here. I don't think you can hold Bergy up to same standards as some of the older guys because he is still just a rookie, but unfortunately that seems to be MacT's thinking.
Ferguson - B- - Shorter, tougher, cheaper version of Cross. He isn't the best D on the team but he is a guy that will play above his talent level every night. Based on that I gave him a higher grade.

Goaltending
Salo - D+ - Struggled on a team that has always depended on it's goaltender.
Conklin - B - A nice surprise but I won't call him a saviour for the team.

Coaching - C - They have been thrown some curves between injuries and Comrie so they get a little slack but the Special teams SUCK!!!
GM - B I think he has done a decent job with his eye squarely fixed on next year. That said, there is some room for improvement ....and optimism.

Offence - B Offence at 5 on 5 hasn't been bad. I think it's success is getting burried behind the crappy PP.
Defence - B- Same as above. Defence at 5 on 5 hasn't been bad but it's getting hammered by the PK stats.
Special Teams - F - well at least it can't get any worse. I hope.

The team is currently -11 in GF vs GA.
Take away the PP goals for and PK goals against and the team is +15.

It's easy to see where the problem lies.

Closed Thread