HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Lundqvist will never make it to UFA
Yeah there is little to no chance the Rangers would let him walk. He'll be re-signed at all costs. The only way he doesn't re-sign is if Lundqvist just doesn't want to play there any longer, which I don't think is the case.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Which is kind of crazy because he'll be 32 when his next deal starts. How risky do you go?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Fresh34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Which is kind of crazy because he'll be 32 when his next deal starts. How risky do you go?
It's Sather. He doesn't believe in risk.

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I really don't even think its risky. Give the guy a fiv eyear deal or so, and then do one year at a time after that like Brodeur. He's not leaving unless he doesn't want to play there anymore.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Hiesenberg

5/40? 5/45? The guy is going to want a very high AAV

Old
07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Psuhockey

I wonder if the Flyers would be in on a Thomas Vanek deal. It was rumored that the Flyers had called around the deadline. I know his caphit is large but a trade could easiy be worked out if Buffalo included one of their young NHL ready defensemen like Brayden McNabb, who looks like he has been past over. B. Schenn would have to be going the other way because of his salary along with another big salary defensemen out of Coburn or Grossman. Despite what Buffalo fans think, I don't think the Sabres would get much better than B. Schenn is any deal because of Vanek's caphit and pending UFA status. Probably wont happen but would make for one of yell of a top 6.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I know they really like schenn and Couturier. I could have seen a trade in which we get vanek and miller earlier but now with no cap space either or is a dream.

I think they are expecting big things from schenn this year, maybe a 50 pt season. With his talent and Ice time he should be able to get that, if he doesn't they may not have patience waiting for him to develop.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:14 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I know they really like schenn and Couturier. I could have seen a trade in which we get vanek and miller earlier but now with no cap space either or is a dream.

I think they are expecting big things from schenn this year, maybe a 50 pt season. With his talent and Ice time he should be able to get that, if he doesn't they may not have patience waiting for him to develop.
This year is a big year for Schenn's development. Most high level forwards break out in their third full year. He'll be playing in a top six role with either Vinny or Claude and he'll likely be on the second powerplay unit. He doesn't have the excuse that Couturier does that he's stuck on the shutdown line. He needs to take the next step and become a 50 point guy to cement his status as a core player.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

Kevin Paul Dupont(Boston scribe) said that Marchand and Kelly are on the block. Some people up there aren't happy with the young ones(not Kelly) up in Boston it seems.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Hiesenberg

Yea, I'm not getting the plan here by Boston. They are blowing up the team quite a bit here.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:53 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

50 pts is a whole lot from a 22 yo who gets about 15 minutes of ice time. Unless his ice time goes up I really don't see it happening though the acquisition of Vinny could help (though it could hinder it as well). For comparisons sake, Schenn was 8th among forwards last season in TOI so pretty much dead last of our top 9 forwards (G, Simmer, Hartnell, Read, Jake, Couturier, Briere all had more). Nobody outside of Giroux or maybe now Jake will score 50 pts with that little playing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
This year is a big year for Schenn's development. Most high level forwards break out in their third full year. He'll be playing in a top six role with either Vinny or Claude and he'll likely be on the second powerplay unit. He doesn't have the excuse that Couturier does that he's stuck on the shutdown line. He needs to take the next step and become a 50 point guy to cement his status as a core player.
He played 54 NHL games in 11-12 and 47 in 12-13. I wouldn't consider next season his full third year. He'll be 22 yo on a stacked team so he'll only see about 15+ minutes of ice time a night. I doubt he breaks 50.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
The seguin deal hurts, but just look at them. they have seguin and nowhere to move him for the forseeable future. Bergy and Krecji are going to man the center spot for the next 5-7 years. So i can see why they had to trade him.

Marchand on the other hand would be a misstake. He is a very unique player in this league.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:10 PM
hockeyfreak7

Definitely reminiscent of Richards/Carter in Boston right now. Only difference is that the Boston media didn't turn anything into a soap opera for the rest of the league to laugh at.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
The seguin deal hurts, but just look at them. they have seguin and nowhere to move him for the forseeable future. Bergy and Krecji are going to man the center spot for the next 5-7 years. So i can see why they had to trade him.

Marchand on the other hand would be a misstake. He is a very unique player in this league.
Totally agree about Marchand. Haven't seen a player mix the pure pest with speed and skill in a long time. Pat Verbeek?

07-08-2013, 03:12 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Develop, but not necessarily draft. NY got him in a trade for Gomez.
A concept the Flyers will never understand.

Dustin Leed nailed it on the head with this tweet the other day...

Dustin Leed ‏@D_LEED 2 Jul
Man, there are so many young defenseman around the league with so much upside. How do the Flyers have NONE of them.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Totally agree about Marchand. Haven't seen a player mix the pure pest with speed and skill in a long time. Pat Verbeek?
My favorite Marchand moment from this season

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post

Man, there are so many young defenseman around the league with so much upside. How do the Flyers have NONE of them.
For starters, Dustin Leed doesn't nail anything. Period.

Also, Luke Schenn is like 24 and has played like 1000 games or so. If he continues to improve we have ourself one of the premier shutdown defenders in this game.
Gustafsson looks like top4 material.
Gostisbhere could be anything from top-pairing to M.A. Bergeron, but still will most likely play significant games in a year or two.
Robert Hagg looks good.
Samuel Morin's limit is the sky.

I think we are getting there.
Also Coburn and Grossmann have many years left as meaningful players in this league.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

I don't think he nailed anything on the head. There are tons of defenders with sky high upside, but very few who are actually playing at a sky high level. The elite defenders in the league are a very exclusive group. Not nearly enough to go around.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Fresh34

Leed is so pessimistic one minute, then the next he's all about the team's future.

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh34 View Post
Leed is so pessimistic one minute, then the next he's all about the team's future.
Honestly, I think a lot of fans are like that. Even myself, I think "Man are forward line-up looks stacked", then the next day I think "Man, this defensive core is gonna be rough during that period between Timmo retiring and Ghost, Hagg or Morin being ready. Are we about to waste several of our forwards' golden years with a group this old?

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:11 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

leed is just a low tier hfboards poster with a slightly above average amount of twitter followers

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:41 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I don't want to include Schenn in any deal for vanek unless we're also getting a young defenseman with potential. Unless we're getting Vanek + Myers I have no interest. Obviously the flyers would have to add to get vanek and Myers but that's the only way I'd be talking. Something like

Schenn, Coburn, McGinn, 1st 2014
For
Vanek, Myers

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of fans are like that. Even myself, I think "Man are forward line-up looks stacked", then the next day I think "Man, this defensive core is gonna be rough during that period between Timmo retiring and Ghost, Hagg or Morin being ready. Are we about to waste several of our forwards' golden years with a group this old?
What people fail to realize, is that most of the league operates in the same fashion, unless you are consistently picking in the lottery. It is very hard to have top forwards and top defenders and a top goalie all in the same season. Usually the team is lacking somewhere and lucky in other areas. The team that has the tops in all three, usually win the Cup. There is usually one per year. Some years, not even that. If you want top forwards, top defender, and a top goalie, you gotta either suck for a long time, get lucky, or trade assets from areas of strength to improve areas of weakness. That's pretty much it. There is very little grey area (I guess signing UFAs would be another option, but that's not something you can count on...goes to getting lucky of having money when there is someone available and that person wanting to sign with you).

Old
07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Like Luke Schenn as a future #2 or Erik Gustafsson as a future #3?

Because every young defenseman in the league is guaranteed to be a #1.

Thanks again Dustin.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
leed is just a low tier hfboards poster with a slightly above average amount of twitter followers
This is so hilariously true it's astounding.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote