HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2013, 04:03 PM
  #1
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,471
vCash: 1004
2013 Off-Season Armchair GM Thread Part V

Previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1461703

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:05 PM
  #2
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
They certainly do, but not nearly to the extent Thornton fans do. Thornton is my second favorite player on this team, but I had a hard time reading through this thread...
It's not that bad if you remember that Maf is exaggerating everything to spite the Marleau homers.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:06 PM
  #3
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,471
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It's not that bad if you remember that Maf is exaggerating everything to spite the Marleau homers.
I know, but it feeds the serious guys.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
  #4
murdock1116
Registered User
 
murdock1116's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
I find it funny that for some reason Marleau and Thornton supporters have to see them as enemies. Maybe its cause they were drafted in the same year 1/2 or because Marleau fans are upset about the captaincy thing or iono.

Meanwhile they are probably the godfathers of each others kids and having BBQs at each others houses this very moment.

murdock1116 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:10 PM
  #5
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
I'd do Pavs for Marchand

Hatrick Marleau is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:11 PM
  #6
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sorry, I was up watching American Ninja Warrior re-runs into the wee hours. I'll stick around now.
Well, at least that's a good excuse.

Seriously though, people get so crazy the instant you speculate, especially about a fan favorite player. I love Joe Thornton, he is a great guy and the greatest player to ever play for our team, but my sentimentality for him has nothing to do with what is best for the team. I'm not suggesting we buy him out or dump him or something. I was suggesting, given a particular set of circumstances (if it comes down to JT or Pavs basically) we trade Thornton for a fairly significant return and start setting this team up for the next decade.

By the responses you would think I suggested someone knife him and leave him in a gutter somewhere. I have a Thornton jersey ffs, I love the guy. (It's a replica though... my Marleau jersey is authentic )

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:15 PM
  #7
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,471
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
I find it funny that for some reason Marleau and Thornton supporters have to see them as enemies. Maybe its cause they were drafted in the same year 1/2 or because Marleau fans are upset about the captaincy thing or iono.

Meanwhile they are probably the godfathers of each others kids and having BBQs at each others houses this very moment.
I think it's funny too. Those two are easily my favorite Sharks, I hate seeing their respective fans continually scratching each other's eyes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'd do Pavs for Marchand
Noooooooo. Not only because I hate Marchand with every fiber of my being, but also simply because he's nowhere near the quality of player Pavelski is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Well, at least that's a good excuse.

Seriously though, people get so crazy the instant you speculate, especially about a fan favorite player. I love Joe Thornton, he is a great guy and the greatest player to ever play for our team, but my sentimentality for him has nothing to do with what is best for the team. I'm not suggesting we buy him out or dump him or something. I was suggesting, given a particular set of circumstances (if it comes down to JT or Pavs basically) we trade Thornton for a fairly significant return and start setting this team up for the next decade.

By the responses you would think I suggested someone knife him and leave him in a gutter somewhere. I have a Thornton jersey ffs, I love the guy. (It's a replica though... my Marleau jersey is authentic )
Seriously. I agree with you 100%. I love Joe, he'll be a HOFer in a Sharks jersey, and I want nothing more than to see him raise the Cup as a Shark (and pass it to Marleau, of course ), but barring that if we had to choose between him and Pavelski in the years to come, it's an easy choice. Pavelski is so underrated by Sharks fans sometimes because he isn't an overly creative offensive player like Thornton or Couture and because he doesn't have the elite physical tools like Marleau. But he's the smartest of the lot, and that means something.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:17 PM
  #8
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 8,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'd do Pavs for Marchand
I wouldn't. I am one of the ones who is more open about moving Pavs for a quality top-6 winger.

But I wouldn't move him for Marchand. Marchand is a good player but he is a tad over-rated because he is a pest. Pavs is a much better overall player.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
  #9
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Well, at least that's a good excuse.

Seriously though, people get so crazy the instant you speculate, especially about a fan favorite player. I love Joe Thornton, he is a great guy and the greatest player to ever play for our team, but my sentimentality for him has nothing to do with what is best for the team. I'm not suggesting we buy him out or dump him or something. I was suggesting, given a particular set of circumstances (if it comes down to JT or Pavs basically) we trade Thornton for a fairly significant return and start setting this team up for the next decade.

By the responses you would think I suggested someone knife him and leave him in a gutter somewhere. I have a Thornton jersey ffs, I love the guy. (It's a replica though... my Marleau jersey is authentic )
i wont argue specifically for one or another.

best case scenario to me would be that the cap goes up quite a bit next year, we resign pavs to his raise 5.5-5.75 x 5. and thornton/marleau to 5-6 mill x 3 or 4 years.

we would then be closer to bostons cap hierachy which is enviable given the guys on the team.

only ? is boyle for me. but with thornton/marleau/couture/pavs/burns in the top six with quite a bit of cap space maybe we could make a splash in FA, or maybe we get a much better offer for thornton because of age/cap hit...i dunno.

do0glas is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  #10
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,471
vCash: 1004
Honestly, I think we're gonna have to let Boyle go. The lowest Marleau and Thornton get is $5M, and I bet it's closer to $6M. Just look at the contracts Elias and Alfredsson got, and they're both much older than JT/PM.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  #11
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Well, at least that's a good excuse.

Seriously though, people get so crazy the instant you speculate, especially about a fan favorite player. I love Joe Thornton, he is a great guy and the greatest player to ever play for our team, but my sentimentality for him has nothing to do with what is best for the team. I'm not suggesting we buy him out or dump him or something. I was suggesting, given a particular set of circumstances (if it comes down to JT or Pavs basically) we trade Thornton for a fairly significant return and start setting this team up for the next decade.

By the responses you would think I suggested someone knife him and leave him in a gutter somewhere. I have a Thornton jersey ffs, I love the guy. (It's a replica though... my Marleau jersey is authentic )
I think JT will play at a higher level than Pavs for at least 5 more years. Jumbo's game isn't speed based, it is based on his playmaking ability which isn't likely to vastly decline. If we could only keep Pavs or JT I would trade Pavs.

Hatrick Marleau is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 04:33 PM
  #12
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Honestly, I think we're gonna have to let Boyle go. The lowest Marleau and Thornton get is $5M, and I bet it's closer to $6M. Just look at the contracts Elias and Alfredsson got, and they're both much older than JT/PM.
In regards to the cap hits, if Marleau, Thornton, and Pavelski gets $6 mil which is totally reasonable considering every other contract signed recently. It would even out to what it is right now. Asides from them, if Boyle takes a paycut into the $5mil range, and the only ones who may be due for a raise would be Demers, Wingels, Sheppard, and Stalock--that's not for certain though and this is without including any cap increase-- you could maybe fit everybody we have right now into the current cap hit.

hohosaregood is online now  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:06 PM
  #13
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,845
vCash: 500
Did Stalock sign a 2-way deal?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/171

So does that mean there's a possibility DW signs someone else to backup Niemi?

Nighthock is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
  #14
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Did Stalock sign a 2-way deal?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/171

So does that mean there's a possibility DW signs someone else to backup Niemi?
Not likely, he's said that Stalock and Sateri would duel it out in camp for the back up spot.

KirbyDots is online now  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:12 PM
  #15
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Not likely, he's said that Stalock and Sateri would duel it out in camp for the back up spot.
For all we know Grosenick could get it hehe

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:15 PM
  #16
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
For all we know Grosenick could get it hehe
oh god, way too many stalock fanatics here to accept that

do0glas is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
  #17
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Not likely, he's said that Stalock and Sateri would duel it out in camp for the back up spot.
While he has had injury problems, I think that in a vacuum, Stalock has done enough to merit a look as an NHL backup. Sateri may come in and surprise, but he also hasn't earned an NHL slot.

So if Sateri comes in and outplays Stalock, the Sharks should trade Stalock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Seriously. I agree with you 100%. I love Joe, he'll be a HOFer in a Sharks jersey, and I want nothing more than to see him raise the Cup as a Shark (and pass it to Marleau, of course ), but barring that if we had to choose between him and Pavelski in the years to come, it's an easy choice. Pavelski is so underrated by Sharks fans sometimes because he isn't an overly creative offensive player like Thornton or Couture and because he doesn't have the elite physical tools like Marleau. But he's the smartest of the lot, and that means something.
Wouldn't you say that Thornton is the smartest of the lot? He easily has the most hockey sense.

It is just that, Pavelski isn't 22. He's 29. He's a very good player in the prime, but given his size and history, I don't think he has more than 6-7 years of hockey in him. Thornton would appear to be leaving his prime, but I could easily see him having 5 more years of relevance.

Of course, this is just in regards to Thornton vs. Pavelski. In reality, you try to keep them both.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:28 PM
  #18
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
While he has had injury problems, I think that in a vacuum, Stalock has done enough to merit a look as an NHL backup.
Other than being stepped on, has Stalock had a history of injuries?

Mattb124 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 05:37 PM
  #19
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
In regards to the cap hits, if Marleau, Thornton, and Pavelski gets $6 mil which is totally reasonable considering every other contract signed recently. It would even out to what it is right now. Asides from them, if Boyle takes a paycut into the $5mil range, and the only ones who may be due for a raise would be Demers, Wingels, Sheppard, and Stalock--that's not for certain though and this is without including any cap increase-- you could maybe fit everybody we have right now into the current cap hit.

Agree with your thinking.

I'd like to see JT & Patty offered 5yr/28.75mil deals 5.75AAV..Front load the first 2 years. 7-7-4.91-4.91-4.91

I think Pavs comes in under 6mil per. 4yr/22.4mil

Boyle I hope takes a paycut and stays 2 more years. 2yr/8mil NMC.

FeedingFrenzy is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
  #20
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan
 
Audio Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'd do Pavs for Marchand
Straight up.

Audio Outlaw is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
  #21
glasgow26
Registered User
 
glasgow26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
I'd probably trade Pavelski for Marchand. He'd be the perfect LW for Thornton and Burns. I doubt Boston would do it though. They're loaded with two-way centers and Pavelski is a year away from FA.

glasgow26 is online now  
Old
07-08-2013, 06:41 PM
  #22
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
Other than being stepped on, has Stalock had a history of injuries?
Don't think so. Hardly an injury riddled player.

StalockSuperfan is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 06:49 PM
  #23
hockfan1991
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Agree with your thinking.

I'd like to see JT & Patty offered 5yr/28.75mil deals 5.75AAV..Front load the first 2 years. 7-7-4.91-4.91-4.91

I think Pavs comes in under 6mil per. 4yr/22.4mil

Boyle I hope takes a paycut and stays 2 more years. 2yr/8mil NMC.
Marleau and thirnton are not getting 5 year deals. That a good thing. If like to get pavs locked up at 5 years. Your cap hit for pavs is close. And I agree with you on Boyle. With couture pavs raises he is the one who will need to take the heaviest paycut. 4mil for 2 years sounds about right.

hockfan1991 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 06:53 PM
  #24
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,448
vCash: 500
An incentive for DW to give Marleau and Thornton long-term deals would be to avoid the 35+ penalty later on. Unless this penalty has changed...

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 07:01 PM
  #25
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 500
The only reason it's mandatory to tear down the lesser top 6 players (Marleau, Couture, Pavs) is because it's pretty ridiculous and unreasonable to consider them equals to Thornton who at this point is a walking legend and will go down as the greatest living being to wear teal in San Jose. It'd be like saying we should trade Crosby because one day Bennett might be good.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.