HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers/Hurricanes

Old
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
dumpin

vCash: 500
Rangers/Hurricanes

Be gentile guys this is my first attempt at this..

To NY
Jiri Tlusty
Keegan Lowe
3rd round pick 2014

To Carolina
M. Staal

NY frees up some cap space, gets a decent winger, a prospect/pick. While Carolina unites the Staal clan and picks up a very good D man.

Show me the error of my ways.

dumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Value is fair, but I don't think there is any way we trade Jiri. He's on a sweetheart deal and was an integral part of our top line last season.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Not the worst first proposal. There are worse 100th proposals.

Staal to Carolina with Tlusty as the centerpiece would cost Tlusty, Murphy, and a 1st. Depending on how the Canes do next year, maybe a 1st and a 2nd.

Not really interested in Lowe.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:03 PM
BringBackLibertys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpin View Post
Be gentile guys this is my first attempt at this..

To NY
Jiri Tlusty
Keegan Lowe
3rd round pick 2014

To Carolina
M. Staal

NY frees up some cap space, gets a decent winger, a prospect/pick. While Carolina unites the Staal clan and picks up a very good D man.

Show me the error of my ways.
Rangers want to win now, nothing in that deal is better then Staal on our blue line in terms of that.

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

As a Carolina fan, DO NOT WANT any piece of MStaal until the eye issue is 100% setteled. Don't like giving up Tlusty+ for anything either. Last year was the first time we had a good top line for years.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Novacane
My Hero

No thanks. Don't want to part with Tlusty given his contract. Don't dislike the value though.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Not trading Staal for what equates to a winger with one good season under his belt.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Kershaw

i dont see why the Canes would give up their 1rst line player, a solid D prospect and a pick for an injury prone dman with eye issues, especially when they'll just sign him next offseason when he is a FA due to leverage from his family.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

Fair value.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:49 PM
dumpin

Regarding injury issues with Staal; trade should be contingent on him passing a physical.

As far as signing Staal as a RFA ,he is under contract for this season and next, so you might not get your shot at him for a couple of years.

Tlusty had one good year so far , so it is kind of a gamble. Plus if he repeats a solid year he is a RFA next year and would get a big raise.

From Ranger viewpoint , the Rangers have a solid 5 D with McD, MDZ, Giradi, Stralman(really picked it up last yr.), and Moore. Some depth with Falk/Johnson and McI is maybe at the least a mid season callup.. Also this maybe frees up enough $$ to pick up a UFA.

Old
07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Roboturner913

Carolina can't do this for cap reasons. They could afford Staal, they just couldn't afford to replace Tlusty which they would almost certainly have to do.

A trade for M. Staal would probably have to involve one of Ruutu, Pitkanen, Skinner or Gleason going the other way.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:05 PM
dumpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Carolina can't do this for cap reasons. They could afford Staal, they just couldn't afford to replace Tlusty which they would almost certainly have to do.

A trade for M. Staal would probably have to involve one of Ruutu, Pitkanen, Skinner or Gleason going the other way.
I would prefer all of your options to Tlusty but without Richards buyout it wont work.

going back to my prop. the Hurricane would still have about 3 mill in cap space. In todays market who knows what that will get you, maybe a compliance buyout player like Grabovski.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Lundsanity30

Skinner for staal and Boyle. Rangers get more offense, still have a great defense, add very minimal salary if any, still have good depth and a top notch defense. I can see reasons for and against this though. As far as Car, they get a shut down dman

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:39 PM
crt

Staal is damaged goods.

crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Dragonborne

vCash: 193
No thanks from the Rangers.
I doubt Tlusty would fit in NY as well he does in Carolina.

Dragonborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Absolutely not from the Rangers. Trading Staal now gives the Canes 2 seasons of him at a sweetheart cap hit. Pony up or wait.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
dumpin

Its not that I think Tlusty is fair compensation for Staal in itself , but the proposal added a decent prospect in Lowe, and a pick.. PLUS freeing up cap space, to get everyone including MZA signed.

Maybe even keeping some cap space available for a mid season or late season move.

Staal has had a concussion (and was cleared) and an eye injury, that can be checked and cleared. Not really damaged goods.. Multiple concussions would be damaged goods. every player is one check from damaged goods.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
Staal is damaged goods.
Will remember to keep this post saved.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
bernmeister

The thing to remember, OP, is that this is a very inexact science which is very hard to get a consensus to say is correct.

That said, while Staal is not worth IMO as much as some have asked, he is worth more than you have offered.

Staal is not damaged goods.
Yes, we know about the puck to the eye, but it appears he will be very close to 100% upon return, the only real concern being reaction to especially bright light, which should be controlled by the visor he is expected to be wearing going forward.

So if he is not truly appreciably diminished in effectiveness going forward, which I agree remains to be seen to be confirmed but at the same time there is no reason for the selling team to assume any reason its asset is diminished and should be sold short, Rangers will want top dollar.

It is true the Rangers want to create cap, but this is not a cap dump.
Taylor Pyatt for a 6th is a cap dump.

Logically the Rangers like any team DO want to move vets to make cap space. Staal fits in that group. But, you still have to offer not only enough value --- why do coke for pepsi? ---- you need to give me enough of a profit to make it worth my while, and vice versa.

An offer with Tlusty as centerpiece is quite proper.
However, it is tough to balance out.

What about Staal + for Faulk +?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
i dont see why the Canes would give up their 1rst line player, a solid D prospect and a pick for an injury prone dman with eye issues, especially when they'll just sign him next offseason when he is a FA due to leverage from his family.
You really are a troll. His eye will make a full to near full recovery. Its been stated as much. Tlusty has 1 good season under his belt. Marc has stated how much he loves playing in NYC and this "leverage" thing is being completely over blown.

07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Its perfectly fair to question if Staal will ever be the same player again.

It could be a non-issue, but it isn't unfair to question it, and it does damage his value until proven otherwise.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
You really are a troll. His eye will make a full to near full recovery. Its been stated as much. Tlusty has 1 good season under his belt. Marc has stated how much he loves playing in NYC and this "leverage" thing is being completely over blown.
Staal said he'll make a full recovery to play on the ice, but from his words said his right eye will never be 100%. Add that to his concussion injuries and he is pretty much damaged goods or pretty close to it. Jordan Staal stated Pittsburgh was his team, but family matters 1st IMO, especially to a close knit family like the Staal who reached out and gave the press info about Marc's recovery while the NY beat writers couldn't get anything. Jordan Staal quietly requested a trade to the Hurricanes to play alongside his brother.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
potsiev2

did staal get a new bionic eye that i don't know about... until then berard 2.0 holds little value

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Staal's eye is a definite concern, but frankly, for a deal that revolves around Tlusty, I'd overlook those concerns.

Tlusty, in all likelihood, won't repeat the same success he had this past season. Getting Staal for Tlusty+ would be a steal.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Djp

Assuming Staal is a 100% (still a big issue now which deep sixes any deal with him now), Carolina doesnt give up a cap friendly hit in Tlusty. why give that up now when in 2 yrs you can sign him as a UFA.

Carolina has 2 many high forward contracts. they need ELC/lower contracts to balance out the system.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote