HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton - Philadelphia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2013, 04:47 PM
  #51
Draiskull
Registered User
 
Draiskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,985
vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I think Andrew Ference is a good player but he is a #4 defender at best. I would hope your team has defenseman better than him.
WELL we have Smid and ...... um yea thats about it!
Schultz and Klefbom will eventually get there ... we hope.

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
  #52
55
Registered User
 
55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Smid is not better than Coburn. The Flyers would never make this trade.

55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:09 PM
  #53
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Even if what you say is true, does that not logically prove he's not a top pairing guy? If he cant do it without Timonen carry his jock, why can Smid do it with whoever he's paired with??? It's not like Edmonton is rolling out all star D to pair with. It also kind of proves my point about being put in a position by the Flyers to hold more responsibility because they figured Schenn needed to be protected and not Coburn anymore. Coburn showed he does still need to be protected.

I dont want it to sound like Im ripping on Coburn. Just keeping people honest. He's a good player. He's worth a 2nd round pick or maybe even a late 1st come the trade deadline. He's a bit overpaid but that's becoming the norm in the NHL. In my opinion, he's not as good as Smid. Not even close. If Smid would've hit the open market, he would've cashed in quite well. In fact, I would wager the Flyers would've been all over him trying to secure his services.
I wouldn't say it proves anything, no offense. Dallas Smith was a "top pairing" guy for many years with the Boston Bruins. But he wasn't a #1, that was Bobby Orr. But Smith was a very good defensive defenseman who complimented Orr. Same situation with Coburn, he's the Flyers best defensive defenseman. Let him play that role with someone with more offensive skills and he does a very good job, on the top pair or no. He has proven that, consistently since he's been with the Flyers.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:26 PM
  #54
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,410
vCash: 50
I think Philly Coburn is better than Smid and Couturier is better Paajarvi...this doesn't really make a lot of sense.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  #55
NeutralZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
If the deal was Paajarvi for Couturier, what would Edmonton have to add? A 2nd? A 1st?

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
  #56
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
no thanks

we won't be trading Couturier unless if for a bonafied #1 defenseman
#1????????
First comp??????????????

Dmen who faced first comp with Smid EVGA and PKGA
Chara Bos
Boychuk Bos
Oduya Chi
Hjarmalsson Chi
Jackman STL
Petry Edm
Smid Edm

Add 2hits/gm
Smid, Petry, Chara

Or 2 blocks/gm
Smid, Hjarlmalsson

players who have Smids
EVGA against 1st comp
PKGA
HITS
Blocks
Ladislav Smid!
Just ladislav Smid!

No trade!

Oilers fans who want to trade him!
Really!
Really!

Chara , Boychuk, Oduya, Hjalrmasson, Jackmann are going to hardly cost any Assets!
What a 5th round pick!
Easy!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:34 PM
  #57
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
If the deal was Paajarvi for Couturier, what would Edmonton have to add? A 2nd? A 1st?
The Flyers aren't downgrading for a pick.

What the Flyers need is an alround two-way defender who has #1 upside or is already there.
I believe Couturier would be avaiable (in a package obviously) for that kind of player. Other than that, the Flyers are just better off keeping Couturier.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:36 PM
  #58
Aceonfire*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
What if Edmonton adds their 2014 1st?

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
  #59
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I think Philly Coburn is better than Smid and Couturier is better Paajarvi...this doesn't really make a lot of sense.
The bold says it all!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:59 PM
  #60
ekcut
Total by in. 2 - 98
 
ekcut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
It makes no sense for the oilers to trade Smid for Coburn.
If Smid is better, as some Oiler fans say, then they should keep Smid at all costs, as they need to improve their defence more then there centres (although we sure do need a Couturier type here)

We need Coburn to join Smid and solidify the backend. We need another top 4 dman, not exchanging one for another.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
  #61
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,821
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I think Andrew Ference is a good player but he is a #4 defender at best. I would hope your team has defenseman better than him.
Klefbom, Marincin and Belov are on the rise.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:09 PM
  #62
McShogun99
Registered User
 
McShogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,004
vCash: 500
Smid
Gagner
2014 1st

For

Colbourn
Hartnell
B.Schenn

Philly takes on 8.5 mil in cap but loses 13 mil in cap space to Edmonton giving them some room to sign Jagr.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:45 PM
  #63
EscapeGoat
We The North
 
EscapeGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
If the deal was Paajarvi for Couturier, what would Edmonton have to add? A 2nd? A 1st?
That a joke?

And Coburn > Smid. Philly gets bent.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:37 PM
  #64
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Are you suggesting playing top pairing minutes means your "put into a larger offensive role?" You're really trying to justify his taking more penalties in his own zone and turning the puck over more in his own zone to being "put into a larger offensive role?" He still only had 38 Shots on net....

Jonathon Ericsson went into top minutes this year and didnt have these same problems. In fact he flourished with more minutes and playing against other teams better players. Just because he was sent into the top pairing didnt put him into a larger offensive role. Not sure where the logic is.

If that's the case and he struggles against better competition, I think the point is made. He's a top four guy. Nothing more. Vastly overpaid for what he provides. Smid is a top pairing guy. Not a number 1 but he plays those minutes in Edmonton by default. He's been successful doing so.

That could only suggest one thing to anyone with any common sense or logic. Smid is a better player. There's a reason Philly is trying to move Coburn. For a team with woes on D, you dont move a guy if he's as good as some here would suggest. Logic.
Coburn was saddled with playing beside Bruno Gervais. Now you know why his pairing struggled.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:40 PM
  #65
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever
 
NitHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Smid
Gagner
2014 1st

For

Colbourn
Hartnell
B.Schenn

Philly takes on 8.5 mil in cap but loses 13 mil in cap space to Edmonton giving them some room to sign Jagr.
Makes no sense for the Flyers whatsoever. You don't sign Streit and LeCavalier only to make a cap dump trade that makes your roster worse.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:06 PM
  #66
I am Lorde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 106
vCash: 1584
I really don't see the point in involving Smid and Coburn in the deal, they play roughly the same role for their respective teams. Plus oiler fans love Smid and I assume flyer fans love Coburn.

And MPS doesn't return Couturier.

I am Lorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
  #67
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,239
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Good one.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:53 AM
  #68
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,487
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Smid
Gagner
2014 1st

For

Colbourn
Hartnell
B.Schenn

Philly takes on 8.5 mil in cap but loses 13 mil in cap space to Edmonton giving them some room to sign Jagr.

Hartnel doesn't waive his NTC.

You can't say how much cap space Philly is going to save since Gagner hasn't resigned yet.

Brayden Schenn might turn out to be better than Gagner, but he won't be next year and where will this leave Edmonton next year as they try to make the playoffs?

Way too many question marks for either side to like this one.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:15 AM
  #69
HeavyMcHitter97
Registered User
 
HeavyMcHitter97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,460
vCash: 500
Edmonton easily wins this trade value wise in my opinion but MacT wants to add a quality dman to our current line up not take away our best dmen for a new dman that is better but not by tons in my opinion. Philly fans value Couturier very highly (and rightfully so) and even if somehow Smid and Coburn had the same value (not saying they do), there is no argument for Magnus being as good as Couturier cause he's not. Just my 2 cents.


Last edited by HeavyMcHitter97: 07-09-2013 at 02:30 AM.
HeavyMcHitter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.