HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 11:12 AM
le_sean

vCash: 500
I have no problem with what Seguin tweeted. People are way too sensitive. He essentially called himself homosexual in the tweet, so how can anyone actually take him seriously?

Old
07-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
McDo signs the deal we should have got on Subban... I hate the rangers!!!
How much better would we be now with McD?

Man...

Old
07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Impossible Glory

Burmistrov signs with Ak Bars Kazan in the KHL. Oh well..

Old
07-08-2013, 11:49 AM
windycity

was reading a local free mag called RedEye on the El heading into work today and they had a little blurb about Dion Phaneuf marrying Elisha Cuthbert.

At the end they wrote "300 guests attended, the Stanley Cup was not one of them."

I LOL'd

Old
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
How much better would we be now with McD?

Man...
yup... that trade was the kind of blunder that sets a franchise back significantly for years.

Imagine McDo & Subban both locked up for the next 6 years @ 5M$/per. That would be like the Keith/Seabrook duo that has backstopped the Hawks back-end through 2 cup wins.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
yup... that trade was the kind of blunder that sets a franchise back significantly for years.

Imagine McDo & Subban both locked up for the next 6 years @ 5M$/per. That would be like the Keith/Seabrook duo that has backstopped the Hawks back-end through 2 cup wins.
If Tinordi/Beaulieu become solid top 4 D we can start to forget.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
That's a hell of an asset the Jets lost for nothing. Passing on Zykov three times feels a little bit better today.

Old
07-08-2013, 01:35 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I will never forget considering McDonagh was my favourite Habs prospect ever. I just love his well-rounded game and I personally don't think either Tinordi or Beaulieu bring that to the table.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
People keep saying the "Russian factor" is a myth...well here is another example of a player lost to an NHL team.

He wasn't yet an impact player, but still a very good asset lost for at least 2 years. Washington has been waiting for Kuznetsov for 3 years. Nashville lost Radulov for like 4 or 5 yeras.

Old
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
MarkovsKnee

So when Chelios gets into the hall of fame (seriously, he has to be a lock, right). I guess his portrait goes up in the Habs dressing room? I think you have to had played a minimum of 200 games with the Habs to get a portrait, and Cheli is well above that.

Interesting that the 2 players that were traded for each other - Savard and Chelios - are both going to be there probably side by side.

I imagine Pronger is a lock as well. I still have no idea why Shanahan isn't there. I'm on the fence about Lindros. Injuries really killed his career.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
People keep saying the "Russian factor" is a myth...well here is another example of a player lost to an NHL team.

He wasn't yet an impact player, but still a very good asset lost for at least 2 years. Washington has been waiting for Kuznetsov for 3 years. Nashville lost Radulov for like 4 or 5 yeras.
Except Burmistrov enthusiastically came over, was rushed, and used horribly before finally giving up .

Old
07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
as long as its with us!

Old
07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Both at 5 mil per for the next 5 or 6 years would be incredible. That's how you win... by getting value out of your top players. Now PK is going to be 7 or 8 mil a year.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I have no problem with what Seguin tweeted. People are way too sensitive. He essentially called himself homosexual in the tweet, so how can anyone actually take him seriously?
Right, I think he just came out of the closet, which is cool, because I don't know of any openly gay hockey players. Good for him.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Except Burmistrov enthusiastically came over, was rushed, and used horribly before finally giving up .
Atlanta were so stupid to bring him in the NHL at 18. The guy has a great talent, it's a shame he was misused all those years.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:18 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yeah, another example of why you never bring talent in at 18 unless they are extremely talented and have close-to or NHL ready bodies.

Burmistrov has all the talent and smarts in the world but he was thrown to the wolves before they were cultivated properly.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
So when Chelios gets into the hall of fame (seriously, he has to be a lock, right). I guess his portrait goes up in the Habs dressing room? I think you have to had played a minimum of 200 games with the Habs to get a portrait, and Cheli is well above that.

Interesting that the 2 players that were traded for each other - Savard and Chelios - are both going to be there probably side by side.

I imagine Pronger is a lock as well. I still have no idea why Shanahan isn't there. I'm on the fence about Lindros. Injuries really killed his career.
The question I ask, is did they inspire their teammates to be better beyond their own numbers?

Even players whose talents have faded are capable of that (Chelios would be a great example of a positive influence later in his career). I never got that impression with Lindros. He had great talent but he was not a great player for me.

I wish Rogie Vachon's name would still be mentioned when the HOF discussions come up.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
The question I ask, is did they inspire their teammates to be better beyond their own numbers?

Even players whose talents have faded are capable of that (Chelios would be a great example of a positive influence later in his career). I never got that impression with Lindros. He had great talent but he was not a great player for me.

I wish Rogie Vachon's name would still be mentioned when the HOF discussions come up.
Leclair was much, much more effective with Lindros on his team than without. I guess you're talking more about how a player's character is perceived, more than his actual effect on his teammates. I predict people will be having the same discussion about Joe Thornton in a few years.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:40 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Atlanta were so stupid to bring him in the NHL at 18. The guy has a great talent, it's a shame he was misused all those years.
Atlanta (Thrashers, not Flames) was one of the worst hockey franchises ever...all the way back to day one when they drafted Patrik Stefan #1 overall in '99.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Atlanta (Thrashers, not Flames) was one of the worst hockey franchises ever...all the way back to day one when they drafted Patrik Stefan #1 overall in '99.
Can you believe that in 12 years of existence, they made the playoffs only ONE time and they got swept?

Thank god it's over.

Old
07-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Leclair was much, much more effective with Lindros on his team than without. I guess you're talking more about how a player's character is perceived, more than his actual effect on his teammates. I predict people will be having the same discussion about Joe Thornton in a few years.
I agree about Lindros impact on Leclair. I don't know about how many others you can say that about during his career though. Great players usually influence a bunch of their teammates. And Joe Thornton will be an interesting discussion. Personally, he is is closer to the Hall for me then Lindros but he will face some of the same detractors because of the lack of a team championship.

Edit: I wanted to add an example, Mark Recchi. Some believe he's not a hall of famer but I could point to his influence on his teams several places. The recent cups are more well known but I remember the Pens first cup. They hadn't even made the playoffs the year before. 66 missed most of season, it was Recchi (with linemate John Cullen) who led their offence to help them get back in the playoffs and eventually go on to their first Cup. Cullen was among the NHL scoring leaders with Recchi but his career wasn't the same without him on his wing.

Last edited by Chili: 07-08-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old
07-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wouldn't know where to find it now, but I thought I read years ago an analysis of the impact that Lindros and Leclair had on each other and in the end it was Lindros that benefited more from Leclair.

In any case I do know that Leclair had two 50+ goal seasons when Lindros had considerable time off due to injury, so I wouldn't doubt that it's true.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Laboeuf

Quote:

good comparison, I would say Seabrook = Mcdonagh and Subban = Keith.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:15 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
will never forget!

coz we could've have..

mcdonald - subban
tinordi - beaulieu
diaz - emelin

Old
07-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
will never forget!

coz we could've have..

mcdonald - subban
tinordi - beaulieu
diaz - emelin
McDonagh, Tinordi, and Beaulieu all LD (though Tinordi was forced to play RD in NHL)

Closed Thread