HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riley Boychuk to NJD for Henrik Tallinder

Old
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Just curious ..since we can retain salary ..is there any potential way to trade gerbes buyout this year and next year to aquire a Tallinder type contract..I searched the cba and found nothing.
You cant trade salary retentions/cap buyouts. You also cant trade a cap compliance buyout.

the reason a player was moved was to keep under 50 on the roster.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Ex-Bills left guard Chad Rinehart? 6.5D at best. Dude is 300+lbs, he's a mess on skates. I wish him luck in Jersey.
The outcry over this seems to mirror the one when he left. Stupid and pointless.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
You cant trade salary retentions/cap buyouts. You also cant trade a cap compliance buyout.

the reason a player was moved was to keep under 50 on the roster.
I think we simply had to send something back to give a fig leaf of this being a "hockey trade" rather than a salary dump, which it plainly is. Boychuk is absolutely the least we could send back. Leafs did something similar when they took Olaf Kolzig some years back.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

I mean....what can he bring to the table that we don't have in Numminen being an assistant coach? And most of Tallinder's strong positional play came from his good footspeed...which he doesn't really have anymore.
I think being a player-playing on the ice, in the game, and in the locker room-is different than being a coach. Both are important, but they both have different influences.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Daz28

I hope this is just for veteran presence, especially for Myers. Otherwise, I just don't see how a 34 yr old player with 4 assists and a -3 in 25 playoff games career, minus the 05-06 season does anything to strengthen us down the road. That's not a shot at Hank either(leaving out his best season), but I think we need to look at it from perspective at his age. I also understand he won't be here to get us to the playoffs, but I don't want him taking a roster spot. Imagine if last year Jochen took up Flynn's spot? What a waste that would have been. Knowing we'll have him and Tropp makes me feel a little better.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I think we simply had to send something back to give a fig leaf of this being a "hockey trade" rather than a salary dump, which it plainly is. Boychuk is absolutely the least we could send back. Leafs did something similar when they took Olaf Kolzig some years back.
You can make a trade for future considerations. such a deal happened during these past few days. Look on the main board.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:20 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Here's 10 reasons this move is good on many levels - pretty sure others have mentioned all of these - I'm not pretending to have unique insight:
1. Gives Tallinder opportunity for more games / ice time on a less competitive defensive corps - helps Tallinder.
2. Moves Boychuk out, keeping BUF a little further away from the 50-contracts cap, and "freeing up" a future signing (e.g., Risto if he comes over).
3. Helps take salary from NJD.
4. Gives BUF an additional D-man with NHL experience. Injury depth.
5. Gives BUF an additional D-man with NHL experience. Allows Ristolainen to grow accustomed to smaller ice in the slower AHL vs. faster NHL.
6. Gives BUF an additional D-man with NHL experience. Hopefully the total GA will be kept in the 250-260 range, vs. the 280-300 range, assuming Miller doesn't leave until trade deadline.
7. Assuming Tallinder, Ehrhoff, Weber, and McNabb are the top-4 Left D-men (in no particular pairing order), the signing likely allows McNabb additional Rochester time to either hone his game, and/or develop a better bond with Ruhwedel and/or Ristolainen, i.e., guys who WILL BE a unit in the future.
8. When all healthy, and ignoring handedness, it hopefully affords platooning between Hank, Sulzer, McBain, etc., without bruise to anyone's ego.
9. At trade deadline, enables BUF to flip Hank to a team needing a vet d-man for the playoffs, while affording Hank another (maybe one last??) playoff run. Analogous to this past season, a worthy Amerk can/will be promoted. The circle of life repeats.
10. Might help Myers (although I don't expect it, and am not counting on it), but certainly can't hurt him. May also benefit a couple of the other youngsters.

Downsides:
1. He's slower now,
2. and always has been a softer player,
3. injured in '11-12,
4. who cost BUF money.
Money's not an issue for the '13-14 squad salary cap, so really, I see no net negative. He was basically "free".

If BUF wants to sign another, better, veteran d-man, as some have clamored they do, feeling underwhelmed with Tallinder, well, nothing really keeps them from doing that, and, if needed assigning/waiving Tallinder, Sulzer, etc., to Rochester. [ Though I expect BUF to stand pat on the blueline until trade deadline.]

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
[ Though I expect BUF to stand pat on the blueline until trade deadline.]
Haha, if that's true, then imagine what we'll look like if Myers is bad. Holy canolly!! Even if Pysyk came back disguised as Nick Leddy, we'd still be the league's worst. If Darcy can tank this good, we could have had the top pick the last 5 years almost(Vanek offer sheet and this defense last year)

Old
07-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Haha, if that's true, then imagine what we'll look like if Myers is bad. Holy canolly!! Even if Pysyk came back disguised as Nick Leddy, we'd still be the league's worst. If Darcy can tank this good, we could have had the top pick the last 5 years almost(Vanek offer sheet and this defense last year)
Pysyk's already as good as Leddy, imo.

I agree with brian_griffin, the Sabres are done with the defense for this offseason. They have 2 LHD and 2 RHD as locks, and then adequate competition between vets and youngsters for the remaining spots.

LHD Locks: Ehrhoff, Weber
RHD Locks: Myers, Pysyk
LHD Competition: Tallinder (vet), Sulzer (vet), McNabb (rookie)
RHD Competition: McBain (vet), Ruhwedel (rookie), Ristolainen (rookie)

I'm not saying that's a good defense, but I don't see them adding any more to it.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
You can make a trade for future considerations. such a deal happened during these past few days. Look on the main board.
Future considerations >>> Riley Boychuk

(No, I wasn't trolling for that response at all. Really )

Old
07-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Pysyk's already as good as Leddy, imo.
Wow, I hope you're right. I think I saw as much Leddy as I did Pysyk last year. I like Pysyk's outlook, but I think Leddy has star potential.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:53 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Future considerations >>> Riley Boychuk

(No, I wasn't trolling for that response at all. Really )
You could actually make a case for this, from the Devils' point of view. Boychuk's minor league salary, plus his contract slot might very well have more value than he does as a complete non-prospect who could very likely not even have AHL upside

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:07 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Wow, I hope you're right. I think I saw as much Leddy as I did Pysyk last year. I like Pysyk's outlook, but I think Leddy has star potential.
I don't think they're similar players though (Leddy's a better offensive producer and always will be). I just think Pysyk's right there with him overall, but we won't really see until both get extended time in tougher minutes.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:53 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I don't think they're similar players though (Leddy's a better offensive producer and always will be). I just think Pysyk's right there with him overall, but we won't really see until both get extended time in tougher minutes.
Yeah a pretty cursory overview indicates that Leddy played very sheltered minutes. Granted, Chicago's got a better defense group than Buffalo, but even so, I'd hope Pysyk is better defensively than Leddy at this point in time

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
They struck out with Briere and succeeded with Tallinder. If the Sabres sign Toni Lydman, be very afraid.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
They struck out with Briere and succeeded with Tallinder. If the Sabres sign Toni Lydman, be very afraid.

We're getting the band back together

Old
07-09-2013, 12:14 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Be more afraid if they bring back Mika vs Marty!

The intro song could be Weird Al remaking The Heat Is On to be The Tank Is On....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
That would mean that someone is holding the painter's hand.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote