HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NBA Discussion Thread Pt. II

Old
07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Also I can't even begin to fathom people who think the Nets will be better than the Knicks this upcoming season.
we heard it last year how they were the best team in NY all season.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Also I can't even begin to fathom people who think the Nets will be better than the Knicks this upcoming season.
They have a good roster. But they have zero room for error. Pierce was a good pickup for just one year, but they are stcuk with KG and Terry for two, and Lopez, Johnson and Williams are all through 2016.

KG
Pierce
Williams
Johnson
Lopez
Terry
Bogdanovich
Livingston
Taylor
Blatche
Plumlee

That's a strong, deep roster. It'll be a dogfight.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
mrmovies779

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Well, at least you admit not being a Knicks fan.
Make more excuses for them,its what you're good at

mrmovies779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:04 PM
mrmovies779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
as a fan who is not happy with the knicks recent moves, that was the worst display of refereeing i've seen involving knicks games.
and if the Knicks showed up and played 48 minute games,the bad calls by the refs probably wouldnt have mattered.They did it to themselves by playing like crap entire first halfs and trying to dig out of huge holes in the 2nd halfs.I blame them for for the games and losses then bad calls by the refs.

Calls went both ways and were bad for both teams.Blaming refs are nothing but excuses as bad calls happen to all teams.

mrmovies779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Zil

Quote:
I won't even get into the "struggled to close out" the Celtics BS. They beat them, and in three of the games they blew them out.
They had a 3-0 series lead and then almost got taken to a game 7. That's not struggling to close a team out?

Quote:
As for Indiana, you can't overlook the fact that Anthony played all 12 playoff games with a torn labrum, and Chandler had a neck, back and wrist injury after a week of the flu heading into the postseason. When healthy, the Knicks had no probelm dealing with Indiana and Hibbert.

I don't want to discredit Indiana. They were the better team and deserved to win. But the idea that the Pacers were an elite team and the Knicks were not before the series started is garbage.
A lot of people were predicting the Knicks would struggle when they ran into an elite defense in a playoff series.

Quote:
What draft picks were available for the Knicks to build around? Thomas traded them all, and amassed a cap ceiling where the only way for Walsh to fix the franchise was to lump picks in with bad contracts in his attempts to trade them.
That's because they keep flushing picks down the toilet. Walsh didn't to trade the picks to move those contracts. He could've just waited them out. It's just that everyone was falling over themselves to take a shot at LeBron. And they sure as **** didn't need to flush a first rounder just to acquire Bargnani, a guy Ujiri was actively trying to dump. Repeatedly throwing away picks is why the Knicks continuously find themselves with limited options and get forced into overspending on free agents.

Quote:
And when the Knicks tried to build on draft picks, it didnt work. The fans wanted a competitive team, and Walsh helped build them one.

Here's a history lesson for you: 1994 -- how were those Knicks built? They lucked out with Ewing -- Oakely, Mason, Starks, Smith, Harper -- all acquired via trade or free agency. The only other draftees -- Davis and Anthony -- were role players.

How about the 1999 team? Sprewell, Houston, Childs, LJ, Camby -- all acquired via free agency or trade.
Those aren't arguments against drafting. Those are arguments against poor management. There's a reason why those 90s Knicks teams never found a second franchise caliber player to pair with Ewing and get them over the hump. Just to pull one example out of a hat: In 1987 the Knicks had the fifth overall pick, but they traded it for Gerald Henderson and the 18th pick. You know who that pick became? Scottie Pippen. Do you know who else was available at that point? Reggie Miller. I think they might've won a championship or two if they hadn't flushed that pick.

Quote:
No, it wouldnt have been better, because they tried that method already. From 2005 to 2010, they did not improve a lick in the standings and were nowhere near a playoff team. They had Lee (draft pick), Robinson (draft pick), Channing Frye (draft pick), Balkman (drfat pick), Collins (draft pick) -- even at their all-star best as Knicks, it did nothing for them in the standings. You're talking about 5-7 years with plenty of picks, no cap space, no results.
Again, that's not an argument against building through the draft. It's an argument against poor management. Obviously it's not going to help if you're run by morons who blow the picks. With those picks they passed up Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, and Rajon Rondo. They also flushed the picks that became LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah in the Eddy Curry trade. That might've had something to do with their failure to move up the standings. Your argument makes a compelling case against Isiah Thomas, not against drafting.

Quote:
Crawford had the best numbers of his career as a Knick -- did nothing in the standings.
Jamal Crawford is nothing more than a JR Smith-type volume shooter.

Quote:
Who's aging? Besides Prigioni, who was highly productive last season and basically relegated Kidd to the bench.

Smith is 27
Chandler is 30
Melo is 29
Bargnani is 27
Shumpert is 23
Felton is 29
Hardaway is 21
Stat is 30

That's 8 players -- the main rotation -- all 30 or younger.
Let me put it another way. This roster has no upside. It is what it is. Barring a dramatic move, they have no chance of legitimately contending for a title. Plus, Stoudemire is breaking down regardless of his age.

Quote:
And you want to alk about defense?

Defense?

The Knicks led all teams in the postseason in PPG allowed, 3rd in turnovers forced, 4the in FG% allowed.
In the postseason the Knicks faced the 18th (Boston) and 23rd (Indiana) ranked offenses in the league. That might have something to do with those numbers.

Quote:
In the regular season, they were 7th in the league in PPG allowed, 10th in turnovers forced, 2nd in FG's attempted per game. They were 18th in FG% allowed, but they were 6th in the league in point differential.

They're not the Bulls, but they're certainaly not a porous.
They started the season defending extremely well and then dropped off as the season progressed. This roster is going to rotate Stoudemire and Bargnani at power forward. That's going to cause them problems on the defensive end.

Quote:
Like I said before, every team has weaknesses. The fact that the Knicks play in a weak conference and they have age on their side means they can still compete and challenge for a title.

To me, if you are a 50-plus win team, top-3 seed with home court regardless of conference, you are a title contender.
But they weren't title contenders. Were the 05-06 Rangers, who came within two points of a top three seed, cup contenders? No. They don't have enough. One extremely talented scorer (Anthony), two nice pieces (Chandler and Shumpert), and a bunch of mediocre role players whose performances fluctuate wildly (everyone else) do not add up to a championship roster. Even if they'd squeaked by the Pacers, the Heat would have murdered them. If the Heat didn't exist, there's no way they would've beaten the Spurs either.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:31 AM
darko

Quote:
Durant didnt lead the NBA in PPG. Melo did. He won the scoring title. I'd like to think the guy who wins a scoring title is considered the best scorer in the league.

And who cares how Smith gets his points. He gets them, and he makes the Knicks a better team. He's also an above-average defender as well, and won 6th man. Starks was the world heavyweight champion of ill-advised shots. That never detracted from his worth to the team, and how important he was to their success.

Melo won by 0.6 while taking almost 5 shots per game more than Durant. Guess which one I think is a better offensive player.

JR Smith took only 2 shots a game less than Durant. He better put up some serious points if he's going to jack up that many shots. Dwayne Wade took as many shots per game as Smith did.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:34 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
Also JR, Melo and STAT together just can't work. Only one ball to go around and too much selfishness between the 3.

And if you think JR is a 6th man than you are just an absolute moron. Guy averaged more minutes per game than Tyson Chandler. The 6th Man Award is the stupidest award in all of sports. I hope LeBron comes in off the bench in the first minute of every game next year just to prove how stupid that award is.

Amare has to go. Unfortunately he's just about un-tradeable.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:36 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Ahem. The top 2 in the east are the Heat and the NETS after the trade for Garnett, Pierce & Terry is completed.

I think Pacers are better. Also depends how good Rose is when he comes back. Healthy Rose and Bulls are clear cut 2nd best team in EC.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Melo won by 0.6 while taking almost 5 shots per game more than Durant. Guess which one I think is a better offensive player.

JR Smith took only 2 shots a game less than Durant. He better put up some serious points if he's going to jack up that many shots. Dwayne Wade took as many shots per game as Smith did.
Well we're arguing semantics now. The guy who wins the scoring title in the NBA is the guy with the highest PPG. When I called Melo the best scorer in the NBA, thats what I was refering to.

I guess i should of stated "the guy who won the scoring title"...Point is that he's under 30 and the best player on a 54-win team.

Either way, he's one of the best scorers in the NBA. Shot attempts per game doesn't detract from that, no matter how much we hate him for his other deficiencies.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:03 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmovies779 View Post
Make more excuses for them,its what you're good at
I said Indiana was the better team and deserved to win. You're the one who thinks it was a "choke"

Seriously, what team do you root for? The Heat?

Old
07-09-2013, 06:01 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
They had a 3-0 series lead and then almost got taken to a game 7. That's not struggling to close a team out?
This is just a ridiculous rationale. So obviously every team needs to win in 4 or 5 games for it to be considered noteworthy. Got it.

There is zero difference between winning the first three games of a series before closing it out to winning every other game. You win the friggin series.

Yup, Knicks get no credit for winning two games IN BOSTON.

Quote:
A lot of people were predicting the Knicks would struggle when they ran into an elite defense in a playoff series.

That's because they keep flushing picks down the toilet. Walsh didn't to trade the picks to move those contracts. He could've just waited them out. It's just that everyone was falling over themselves to take a shot at LeBron. And they sure as **** didn't need to flush a first rounder just to acquire Bargnani, a guy Ujiri was actively trying to dump. Repeatedly throwing away picks is why the Knicks continuously find themselves with limited options and get forced into overspending on free agents.
OH, I get it. The Knicks came up two games short of the CF because they wanted Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler instead of Galinari, Jordan Hill, Royce White and Gordon Hayward.

Outstanding theory.

Quote:
Those aren't arguments against drafting. Those are arguments against poor management. There's a reason why those 90s Knicks teams never found a second franchise caliber player to pair with Ewing and get them over the hump. Just to pull one example out of a hat: In 1987 the Knicks had the fifth overall pick, but they traded it for Gerald Henderson and the 18th pick. You know who that pick became? Scottie Pippen. Do you know who else was available at that point? Reggie Miller. I think they might've won a championship or two if they hadn't flushed that pick.
Make up your mind. Are you pissing on the Knicks for who they draft or for not having the pick to draft anybody?

Let's stick to the present -- none of the players the Knicks drafted since 2007 are better than who the Knicks had last year or this year, nor would any of those draft picks develop into players who can create a 50-plus win team out of nothing.

Chandler, Galo, Robinson, Lee, Frye, Ariza, Hill, Fields -- please. The Knicks are not a 54-win team with those players. Only one -- Gallo -- is an NBA starter on a winning team, and he is as durable as Martin havlat.

Quote:
Again, that's not an argument against building through the draft. It's an argument against poor management. Obviously it's not going to help if you're run by morons who blow the picks. With those picks they passed up Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, and Rajon Rondo. They also flushed the picks that became LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah in the Eddy Curry trade. That might've had something to do with their failure to move up the standings. Your argument makes a compelling case against Isiah Thomas, not against drafting.
Seriously. They went from a lottery team, to an 8th seed, to a 7th seed, to a 2 seed. Who cares what happened under Isaiah? They have obviously fixed that problem.

Funny you mentioned those names -- Rondo, Granger, Bynum, Aldridge -- they were all on couches watching the 2013 playoffs by the time the 2nd Round began.

Quote:
Jamal Crawford is nothing more than a JR Smith-type volume shooter.

Let me put it another way. This roster has no upside. It is what it is. Barring a dramatic move, they have no chance of legitimately contending for a title. Plus, Stoudemire is breaking down regardless of his age.
Smith and Crawford are easily two of the three best 6th men in the NBA. But who needs those types, right?

The Knicks don't even need Stoudamire. He's a role player at this point. They were one of the best teams in the NBA for most of the season without him.

Quote:
In the postseason the Knicks faced the 18th (Boston) and 23rd (Indiana) ranked offenses in the league. That might have something to do with those numbers.

They started the season defending extremely well and then dropped off as the season progressed. This roster is going to rotate Stoudemire and Bargnani at power forward. That's going to cause them problems on the defensive end.
Yeah, they really struggled defensively during that 13-game winning streak, and closed out the season 16-3 -- holding opponents under 100 points in 14 of the last 19 games.

Yeah, such a shame they traded a defensive stalwart like Novak and replaced him with Bargnani.

What problems? Did you even watch the Knicks this season?

Quote:
But they weren't title contenders. Were the 05-06 Rangers, who came within two points of a top three seed, cup contenders? No. They don't have enough. One extremely talented scorer (Anthony), two nice pieces (Chandler and Shumpert), and a bunch of mediocre role players whose performances fluctuate wildly (everyone else) do not add up to a championship roster. Even if they'd squeaked by the Pacers, the Heat would have murdered them. If the Heat didn't exist, there's no way they would've beaten the Spurs either.
The 2006 Rangers slumped into the postseason, lost the division title, then got swept in the 1st round without a fight

The 2013 Knicks strormed into the playoffs fresh off a 13-game winning streak with wins over OKC, Memphis, Miami and Indiana, won the division, won their opening round, and lost in a hard-fought 2nd round.

Yup. Nice comparison.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:08 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Look, I'm arguing with rival Nets fans. This is pointless. It's like arguing with Devils fans.

You like your team, I like mine.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:04 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I obviously agree with everything you're saying, GWOW, except about STAT. When he did come to play this year the Knicks offense was more efficient than it was all season, thanks to him and Tyson. It was the best stretch of Knicks offense all year.

If we had an actually healthy Stat for the full Pacers series, I think we beat them.

edit- The defensive questions are legitimate as well. Tyson, Shump and JR can all play very good D, but Melo and mosty everybody else had problems in the Woodson "rotate every single time" defense. Hopefully he'll change that up a little bit, or a fully healthy Tyson and Shump making up for everybody rotation mistakes will shore up the D.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
I obviously agree with everything you're saying, GWOW, except about STAT. When he did come to play this year the Knicks offense was more efficient than it was all season, thanks to him and Tyson. It was the best stretch of Knicks offense all year.

If we had an actually healthy Stat for the full Pacers series, I think we beat them.

edit- The defensive questions are legitimate as well. Tyson, Shump and JR can all play very good D, but Melo and mosty everybody else had problems in the Woodson "rotate every single time" defense. Hopefully he'll change that up a little bit, or a fully healthy Tyson and Shump making up for everybody rotation mistakes will shore up the D.
Really? I think Hibbert would make it very hard for Stat to get to the rim. I think they needed a more efficient, unpredictable offense and that starts with the PG. I wish Kidd played on like he did early this season, he was our best PG in that stretch.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Really? I think Hibbert would make it very hard for Stat to get to the rim. I think they needed a more efficient, unpredictable offense and that starts with the PG. I wish Kidd played on like he did early this season, he was our best PG in that stretch.
Stat was dominating the post in his short healthy stint in the regular season. I think Hibbert would've, at the very least, been called for more fouls trying to defend Amar'e in the post.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Stat was dominating the post in his short healthy stint in the regular season. I think Hibbert would've, at the very least, been called for more fouls trying to defend Amar'e in the post.
Hibbert being called for fouls? Impossible.

Still makes my blood boil. I was glad the Heat knocked them out.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I think Pacers are better. Also depends how good Rose is when he comes back. Healthy Rose and Bulls are clear cut 2nd best team in EC.
Hard to argue that the Pacers are better when the Nets owned the Pacers last year... and just added KG, Pierce and Terry with no substantial losses off the roster.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Hard to argue that the Pacers are better when the Nets owned the Pacers last year... and just added KG, Pierce and Terry with no substantial losses off the roster.
Not that hard when the Nets lost in the first round and the Pacers took the Heat to 7.

KG and Pierce are very old. They weren't near the top 50 in WS/48, and Pierce's best stretch in the regular season came after Rondo, a ball-dominant PG, went down. He's going to be another year older and playing with another ball dominant PG.

The Nets will be better based on the improvement of Brook, JJ and Deron. Pierce and KG aren't going to be as huge as the media is hyping them up to be.

Knicks will win the Atlantic.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Not that hard when the Nets lost in the first round and the Pacers took the Heat to 7.

KG and Pierce are very old. They weren't near the top 50 in WS/48, and Pierce's best stretch in the regular season came after Rondo, a ball-dominant PG, went down. He's going to be another year older and playing with another ball dominant PG.

The Nets will be better based on the improvement of Brook, JJ and Deron. Pierce and KG aren't going to be as huge as the media is hyping them up to be.

Knicks will win the Atlantic.
I honestly don't see how you can think that given the moves the respective teams made, but I won't quibble at this point. Let's see how things play out during the year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I think we learned from the lakers last year that Dream team starting 5's are no lock for anything. The east is so weak, it shouldnt be hard for the Nets to compete.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I honestly don't see how you can think that given the moves the respective teams made, but I won't quibble at this point. Let's see how things play out during the year.
Because the Nets, contrary to what ESPN wants you to believe, did not get significantly better by adding two over-the-hill guys, and the Knicks were the better team last year and will probably continue to be.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also, rumors that Ron Artest wants to come to NY if he gets amnestied by LA.

For the money we have left, i'd love to have Artest. He probably won't make a massive impact, but we could do a lot worse for the room we have left.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Zil

Quote:
Look, I'm arguing with rival Nets fans. This is pointless. It's like arguing with Devils fans.

Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is a Nets fan. This is like attempting to argue with a sports talk radio call in.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:18 PM
darko

Quote:

It looks good on paper no doubt about it but big roster turnovers aren't always a good thing. If you asked me how many games Knicks win next season I'd say 50-55. For Nets it's more like 45-55 (maybe even more than 55). If everything clicks then Nets could be really good. Things could also go bad. Pierce will be 37 when the season starts and KG will be 38. And Joe Johnson has been on decline for couple years now.

I'm not trying to hate on Nets. Just reserved in my opinion on them that's all. They are hard team to predict this season.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
darko

Quote:

Rockets fan.