HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Eric Lindros hall of fame worthy?

Old
07-09-2013, 09:44 AM
RinaldoZac

vCash: 500
Is Eric Lindros hall of fame worthy?

The inductees to the HHOF will be announced today at 3 pm (ET) Chellios, Neidermayer and Shanahan appear to be "locks". Does Lindros deserve the final spot? Will Shero get in? How long does LeClair have to wait if hes getting in?

RinaldoZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Hiesenberg

Such a hard one, based on numbers against guys in there, Neeley for one. He's a slam dunk. Also considering that for a good 5-7 years the guy was easily the most dominant player in the game.

My heart wants him in, but I can see why he might not be voted in. I don't think Shanahan is a lock. He had a few good years, but his #'s are because he played 17 seasons. He scored 489 more points than Lindros in 764 more games.

Shanahan also rubs me as a great complementary player.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:58 AM
RinaldoZac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Such a hard one, based on numbers against guys in there, Neeley for one. He's a slam dunk. Also considering that for a good 5-7 years the guy was easily the most dominant player in the game.

My heart wants him in, but I can see why he might not be voted in. I don't think Shanahan is a lock. He had a few good years, but his #'s are because he played 17 seasons. He scored 489 more points than Lindros in 764 more games.

Shanahan also rubs me as a great complementary player.
I think Lindros is 50/50 as the 4th guy, Shero should get in as a builder. I see at least 1 Flyer getting in today...

Old
07-09-2013, 10:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Nope. If you let a guy in like Lindross then you are opening the floodgates to have cases made for a ton of "what could have been" type players. He had two or three really exceptional seasons. He was dominant when he played, but throughout his career his inability to play a full season really stifled him. That sucks for him, but a guy should get get into the HOF because he was one of the best players of all time, not because he could have been one of the best players of all time but wasn't because of injury.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Appleyard

Up until concussions Lindros was the 6th highest PPG guy in NHL history... he had almost exactly the same PPG as Crosby has at this point in his career.

In the 90's the only guys with more PPG than Lindros were Lemieux and Jagr.

He was, before his problems, one of the best forwards ever to play the game... so for 8 years one of the best forwards ever.

Add to that he was one of the toughest, nastiest SOB's on the ice every game, could fight anyone, was one of the bigger hitters in the league. He was one of a kind, he changed hockey.

If Bure got it, how can Lindros not!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
RinaldoZac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Nope. If you let a guy in like Lindross then you are opening the floodgates to have cases made for a ton of "what could have been" type players. He had two or three really exceptional seasons. He was dominant when he played, but throughout his career his inability to play a full season really stifled him. That sucks for him, but a guy should get get into the HOF because he was one of the best players of all time, not because he could have been one of the best players of all time but wasn't because of injury.
Agree. The arguement FOR him could be that he was a guy that people went to watch, people went to games just to watch him play. He was an exceptional player for a couple years that was cut short do to injuries...

Old
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Also, as much as I love Johnny Vermont, no way he gets in. He's probably my all-time favorite hockey player, but outside of like four of five years of his career, he didn't do much. And even in those four or five years I don't think he ever broke 100 points.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Hiesenberg

Yea, Leclair isn't a HOFer

Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
they already have, his name is Cam Neeley, less games played, less points scored.

I get your point 100% and kind of agree, but precedent has already been set here. If Neeley is in, Lindros is a lock.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

He definitely does deserve to be inducted

If both Neely and Bure can get in, Lindros should as well

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
they already have, his name is Cam Neeley, less games played, less points scored.
And Pavel Bure... who played at the same time and had less games played, less PPG, the same playoff PPG, the same International PPG, no Olympic Gold medal and 1 less WJC Gold medal (this is the hockey HOF after all, not just NHL.)

Old
07-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Hiesenberg

Bure was a hell of a player to watch. I'd put in Bure over Neeley

Old
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Bure was a hell of a player to watch. I'd put in Bure over Neeley
I never saw Neely, but Lindros was better to watch than Bure, more dominant, a more complete player. They were both great, but Lindros was very, very unique. Like now if Milan Lucic was a centre, scored the points Crosby gets, but was a few inches bigger and a stone heavier... that is Lindros.

I imagine most NHL GM's in the 90's take Lindros over Bure.

Heck, the only forward in the 90's I take over Lindros is Jagr... stats back that up as well.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

I get your point 100% and kind of agree, but precedent has already been set here. If Neeley is in, Lindros is a lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

Yeah I guess that's a good point. Though in both of those cases there were different circumstances. Bure was a pretty amazing goal scorer, which will get you more of an edge when getting into the Hall (60 goals twice, 50 goals thrice) and Neely kind of started the whole "power forward" and hard-nosed net play that we see in the NHL today, and he scored 50 goals in less than 50 games one season. Lindross really did none of those things, and had a lot of off-ice issues. I don't know if the NHL has guidelines like the MLBHOF has, but if there is off-ice criteria, I could see a lot of voters shying away from Lindross because of the difficulties throughout his career (not just injury related). But I do see your point about Neely and Bure getting in, which would seem to indicate that Lindross could get in. I wouldn't be upset if he got in, but I personally wouldn't vote for him.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:24 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Cam Neely & Pavel Bure say hi!

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
bennysflyers16

Soon as Neely went in it is a crime that Eric isn't in. I think today is the day

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Appleyard

Off ice I say Lindros' charity stuff makes up a big chunk of the other stuff... I mean, I am not putting Carl and Bonnie Lindros in the HHOF, I am putting Eric in.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I never saw Neely, but Lindros was better to watch than Bure, more dominant, a more complete player. They were both great, but Lindros was very, very unique. Like now if Milan Lucic was a centre, scored the points Crosby gets, but was a few inches bigger and a stone heavier... that is Lindros.

I imagine most NHL GM's in the 90's take Lindros over Bure.

Heck, the only forward in the 90's I take over Lindros is Jagr... stats back that up as well.
Lindros was like a hybrid of Malkin & Lucic during his hayday.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Curufinwe

He's as much a Hall of Famer as Bure and Neely.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Hiesenberg

And this is why he hasn't gotten in, this massive debate.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Lindros was like a hybrid of Malkin & Lucic during his hayday.
Yep, but bigger and possibly tougher (well, equal to Lucic, but I have seen Lucic lose fights... Lindros... just didn't, he has the best Fight Win % of any player with over 20 fights in history, I read that while back.) and scored more PPG, by about 0.2 PPG than Malkin!

Old
07-09-2013, 10:48 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yep, but bigger and possibly tougher (well, equal to Lucic, but I have seen Lucic lose fights... Lindros... just didn't, he has the best Fight Win % of any player with over 20 fights in history, I read that while back.) and scored more PPG, by about 0.2 PPG than Malkin!
And in an different era where scoring simply wasn't as high as it is now. I doubt we'll ever see a player like Lindros again. I say yes but he's also the reason I'm a Flyers fan (born in 1990 so I grew up watching).

And as far as all the off ice bs is concerned I think if Clarke can get over it everyone else can too. Clarke said himself he thinks he deserves to be a HOFer.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. But its this kind of justification that consistently lowers the standards for the Hall of Fame, and not just in Hockey.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
I mean, I am not putting Carl and Bonnie Lindros in the HHOF, I am putting Eric in.
This. I think he'll make it one day, but would be surprised if this is the year.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:24 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

As much as I liked Lindros I would say no, Leclair is more worthy.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote