HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Over/Under 1.5 more cups for Toews/Kane

Old
07-09-2013, 12:14 AM
LBS8844

vCash: 500
Personally going to be pissed if they don't repeat next year. Injuries obviously the wild card. The core...the coaching...the management. Team defense this year was the class of the league...should happen again, should even improve. Actually laughable that the Jennings was a 3-team race before the final week. Stan is gittin' 'er dun...pipeline loaded, and then some. To paraphrase John Madden re. the Bears way back when, the Hawks KNOW they can win (see 17 second stretch in Game 6; not exactly the first time they've pulled off late-game theatrics over the past 5 years). Watched the Islanders, watched the Oilers, not even putting Detroit or Pittsburgh in that league. This group is very special.

Last edited by LBS8844: 07-09-2013 at 12:20 AM.
LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:20 AM
skiba77777

.5 would be a better over/under. I know we've won 2 in 4 years, but winning Cups is harder than that, even if you're the best team. One more would be amazing, 2 more is just too much to ask. Even if they make it to the Finals twice more, they aren't likely to make it 4 times and win all 4.

skiba77777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:22 AM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS8844 View Post
Personally going to be pissed if they don't repeat next year. Injuries obviously the wild card. The core...the coaching...the management. Team defense this year was the class of the league...should happen again, should even improve. Actually laughable that the Jennings was a 3-team race before the final week. Stan is gittin' 'er dun...pipeline loaded, and then some. To paraphrase John Madden re. the Bears way back when, the Hawks KNOW they can win (see 17 second stretch in Game 6; not exactly the first time they've pulled off late-game theatrics over the past 5 years). Watched the Islanders, watched the Oilers, not even putting Detroit or Pittsburgh in that league. This group is very special.
Then it's highly likely that you're going to be pissed off. Even if you think they're the best team going into next season, the odds are heavily against any one teaming winning it all.

Anyways, it would be pretty silly to be pissed. The fact that they've won 2 should already have this core in your good graces, regardless of what happens from here on out. We all want another one, but c'mon. Nobody else has won 2 in the cap era, let alone 3.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:28 AM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiba77777 View Post
Then it's highly likely that you're going to be pissed off. Even if you think they're the best team going into next season, the odds are heavily against any one teaming winning it all.

Anyways, it would be pretty silly to be pissed. The fact that they've won 2 should already have this core in your good graces, regardless of what happens from here on out. We all want another one, but c'mon. Nobody else has won 2 in the cap era, let alone 3.
Make no mistake, "good graces" is an egregious understatement. Believe me, the difficulty level in winning the Stanley Cup is a well-known/understood constant. That said, I'd be highly surprised if they don't hit the over.

Last edited by LBS8844: 07-09-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old
07-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

make the question over/under 0.5 and most here would say over. with 1.5 it's a 50/50 while you don't want to sound arrogant

I say over because I say we will beat the Habs dynasty and win 6 in a row

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:09 AM
LBS8844

And no offense, young man, but you've a few years yet to put in. Be villified, could care less.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:28 AM
skiba77777

Quote:
And no offense, young man, but you've a few years yet to put in. Be villified, could care less.
You could care less? Or couldn't? And I have no idea what this means anyways. Is this about my signup date? You signed up like 2 months ago.

Back to the topic.. I think you're kind of drunk on success if you think the most likely scenario has this core winning 2 more. Possible sure, but likely? No way. That would be 4 Cups in about a decade or less. Think about that.

The fact that they've won twice in 4 years and you're still ready to be "pissed" if they don't win again next year tells me that your expectations are irrational.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:57 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
Toews is 25, Kane 24. It's stupid to think they can't win at least one more. Two more, eh, but one more you'd think would be a strong possibility.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think your team can win at least two more Cups in the next 7-8 years.

You guys have Keith, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Seabrook, Sharp all locked up. Great prospect pool and the main thing that Chicago does so well is integrate their core with good secondary players.

Bickell was a guy that was on the waiver wire a lot of times in 2010 and now in 2013 he would have been one of the most sought after UFA's if he got there.

You guys are lucky to have secondary players that step up in the playoffs. Versteeg, Buff, Ladd in 2010...Bickell, Kruger/Frolik to a lesser extent in 2013.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:48 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
No reason they can't win 3 more. The core is too good not to.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I didn't know winning a Cup was so damn easy. Looking at some of the people on this board it's basically not much harder then breathing.

Taking everything into account I would say 1 more would be amazing. So many things have to go right for a team to win the Cup. The Hawks have gotten lucky and had it happen 2 times in the last 4 years. That kind of luck doesn't continue at the same pace. Just because you won the lottery once, doesn't mean you win it every time.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
coldsteelonice84

It isn't easy but it is definitely doable when you have a core like this. Remember Detroit? Rarely did a year go by where I didn't have a lot of confidence they could win the Cup. And they weren't near as good as this team, which is the scary part. By the time Detroit got their **** together, ALL of their key players were older than Toews and Kane.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It isn't easy but it is definitely doable when you have a core like this. Remember Detroit? Rarely did a year go by where I didn't have a lot of confidence they could win the Cup. And they weren't near as good as this team, which is the scary part. By the time Detroit got their **** together, ALL of their key players were older than Toews and Kane.
Salary Cap

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:19 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Ok, bud. Yeah, don't leave out the fact that was an entirely different era in which there was no salary cap.

The Hawks would probably be fortunate to get 1 more Cup with this group. And that's not to say we don't have a good team. That's just the nature of the game, currently.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Ok, bud. Yeah, don't leave out the fact that was an entirely different era in which there was no salary cap.

The Hawks would probably be fortunate to get 1 more Cup with this group. And that's not to say we don't have a good team. That's just the nature of the game, currently.
Maybe for the other 29 teams, not us. At least you'll be surprised when they keep winning them.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Rahsan*
****ING RIGHT!!!!

The team and management can definately win more cups. That's the plan anyway. But the Hawks are gonna get the best game from every team for a couple of years so it's gonna be real hard.

Rahsan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Salary Cap
It's about to be antiquated anyway and we have a bunch of guys signed below their value.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:29 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
It's about to be antiquated anyway and we have a bunch of guys signed below their value.
What are you even talking about. You make no sense.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
What are you even talking about. You make no sense.
Don't listen to me then, just watch it happen. It will probably be in the 90-100M by the end of the decade. Around that time, I think there will be an expansion to 32 teams, with those teams being in strong markets.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Personally going to be pissed if they don't repeat next year. Injuries obviously the wild card. The core...the coaching...the management. Team defense this year was the class of the league...should happen again, should even improve. Actually laughable that the Jennings was a 3-team race before the final week. Stan is gittin' 'er dun...pipeline loaded, and then some.
You're setting yourself up to be pissed.

This year was a special, special season that we most likely will never see again when you factor everything in. I will be surprised if they win the cup next year because of how incredibly hard it is to repeat. Short offseason, hangover effect, and the Hossa injury are all obstacles they will have to overcome. It's just natural that the players will not be as hungry next year which affects offseason conditioning, focus, attention to detail, practice intensity, eating habits, nightlife behavior, ect. ect. Plus, the Hawks are not much better than Boston, Pittsburgh, and LA.

And just remember that they did not steamroll through these playoffs. They easily could have lost to Detroit and I still don't know how exactly they beat Boston.

I'm going to enjoy this Cup all summer and next season as well not caring about a repeat.

Kaners BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Bickell was a guy that was on the waiver wire a lot of times in 2010 and now in 2013 he would have been one of the most sought after UFA's if he got there.
I can't remember Bickell being on waivers... ever.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I can't remember Bickell being on waivers... ever.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4509

I don't know if he had to pass through waivers but he was sent down a lot of times in 2009-2010.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Marina
#freemorin

vCash: 1200
Quote:
You're going to be pissed if they don't repeat? You might want to lower your expectations a bit. No offense but that makes you sound kind of bratty. There are 29 other teams, some of which are really good. I'd be thrilled if they repeated but it's not that simple... having a good team on paper doesn't always translate to the ice.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:39 AM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
You're going to be pissed if they don't repeat? You might want to lower your expectations a bit. No offense but that makes you sound kind of bratty. There are 29 other teams, some of which are really good. I'd be thrilled if they repeated but it's not that simple... having a good team on paper doesn't always translate to the ice.
No offense taken, rest assured. Waited a long, long time for this. 2 in 4 in the cap era certainly suggests something. Many here on HF get it, and many simply will never. For those who don't, it's not their fault. Odds are these Hawks will have a few more runs at it. For the record, bratty was the intent.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I didn't know winning a Cup was so damn easy. Looking at some of the people on this board it's basically not much harder then breathing.

Taking everything into account I would say 1 more would be amazing. So many things have to go right for a team to win the Cup. The Hawks have gotten lucky and had it happen 2 times in the last 4 years. That kind of luck doesn't continue at the same pace. Just because you won the lottery once, doesn't mean you win it every time.
Luck...humorous, if not (un)entirely appropo.