HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs' Cap Situation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2013, 08:21 PM
  #301
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I would of rolled the dice on Benoit Pouliot honestly...1.3 million for him seems like a steal.
Yeah that would have been a nice reclamation. What about Latendresse?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:29 PM
  #302
mr grieves
Registered User
 
mr grieves's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
Yeah it makes no sense. Nonis is betting his career on this.

Might work out but probably won't.

Fans are happy they got a shiny new toy for now anyways.
Nonis really must've let all those people saying he was a 'cautious' and 'conservative' GM get to him...

mr grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:58 PM
  #303
Leafsin2014*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Haha.

He's younger, and has averaged more goals and points per season.
Last year alone he was on pace for 20 goals 50 points (over 82).

$1.3 million for one year. LOL

What is this world coming to?

Does anybody REALLY think the Clarkson signing is a good thing?
Or am I just being trolled?
You are ridiculous, every one of your posts makes the same argument. This is not a video game, you make it sound like they should just sign every single player based on points. If you seriously think Pouliot brings more to the table than Clarkson you need some help. It's very difficult to find a player like Clarkson with the intangibles he has. Every one of your posts focuses on his points, that is not why every team in the league wanted him, many teams willing to offer more money than we did. But obviously you know more than all of the NHL GMs and scouts. Give it up, take a pill, it's one player at 5M, a player we need who plays the style our team wants to play. Stop measuring his value with your fantasy league.

Leafsin2014* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:35 AM
  #304
Disgruntled Observer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2014 View Post
You are ridiculous, every one of your posts makes the same argument. This is not a video game, you make it sound like they should just sign every single player based on points. If you seriously think Pouliot brings more to the table than Clarkson you need some help. It's very difficult to find a player like Clarkson with the intangibles he has. Every one of your posts focuses on his points, that is not why every team in the league wanted him, many teams willing to offer more money than we did. But obviously you know more than all of the NHL GMs and scouts. Give it up, take a pill, it's one player at 5M, a player we need who plays the style our team wants to play. Stop measuring his value with your fantasy league.
There are tons and tons and tons and tons of players in the nhl that play a "complete physical game" but can't put up a lot of points.
They typically get paid around $1 million and play on the 3rd/4th line.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A 29 YEAR OLD THAT AVERAGES 30 POINTS THAT GOT JUST 18 POINTS IN 82 GAMES A MERE 3 SEASONS AGO!!!!

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:27 AM
  #305
agropop
Registered User
 
agropop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with the first 4 years of this contract, and frankly I don't give a **** about the last three.

agropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:14 AM
  #306
tmlms13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
If he wins helps win the cup or even just get to the finals a couple time in the first 3 or 4 years idgaf about potential cap trouble

People need to remember that by 2019 the cap might be at 75 million and all 3rd liners will be making 5-6 per year. Remember in 2005-06 the cap was 38m, 5 years later it was 56m, and in 2012-13 (7 years) it was 70m? If you take that same increase of 32m in 7 years that is, Clarkson's 5.25m contract on a 96m salary cap. Even for a 4th line winger 5.25 is probably a bargain.


Last edited by tmlms13: 07-09-2013 at 06:22 AM.
tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
  #307
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
There are tons and tons and tons and tons of players in the nhl that play a "complete physical game" but can't put up a lot of points.
They typically get paid around $1 million and play on the 3rd/4th line.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A 29 YEAR OLD THAT AVERAGES 30 POINTS THAT GOT JUST 18 POINTS IN 82 GAMES A MERE 3 SEASONS AGO!!!!
That's true. For that reason, we're going to try to get these "complete physical guys" to pose a linematching threat by encouraging offensive production.

Bolland had Havlet, Ladd, Hossa, Kane, so we're likely going to see him spend some time with skilled guys. If he's an offensive threat, we can turn the top line into a liability. Otherwise, as you said, we're better off with $1 million EL guys that perform a checking role in the defensive zone.

Clarkson, similarly, will be given a top six role. He'll be showered with PP time as well. His aim is to be nasty, crash the net and just out muscle the defenceman. I could see him working extremely well with Kessel, because Bozak doesn't really create space too well.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
  #308
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Clarkson buyout:

After four years (Link):
  • 2017-18: -$83,333
  • 2018-19: $2,166,667
  • 2019-20: $3,666,667
  • 2020-21: $1,666,667
  • 2021-22: $1,666,667
  • 2022-23: $1,666,667
After five years (Link):
  • 2018-19: $1,833,333
  • 2019-20: $3,333,333
  • 2020-21: $1,333,333
  • 2021-22: $1,333,333

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:07 AM
  #309
Sharabhi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
curious to know what komi's buyout would have been if we did a regular buyout on him?

Perhaps we should have used the compliance on Liles?

Sharabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 AM
  #310
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharabhi View Post
curious to know what komi's buyout would have been if we did a regular buyout on him?

Perhaps we should have used the compliance on Liles?
A Liles compliance buyout would have had the greater impact no question.. Too bad Nonis inherited more bad contract mistakes than available compliance buyouts.

However I'm speculating that there was less than < Zero market for Komisarek at $4.5 mil. While Nonis is gambling that he can dispose of Liles somehow to someone even if its just for future considerations.

That scenario forces ones hand to buyout Komisarek to recapture his cap space via a compliance buyout instead. Nonis picked the highest $$ contracts Grabovski ($5.5 mil) and Komisarek ($4.5 mil) over Liles ($3.8 mil) because he needs every penny possible to squeeze under the cap ceiling, because of the cap situation Leafs find themselves in.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:36 AM
  #311
Leafsin2014*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
There are tons and tons and tons and tons of players in the nhl that play a "complete physical game" but can't put up a lot of points.
They typically get paid around $1 million and play on the 3rd/4th line.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A 29 YEAR OLD THAT AVERAGES 30 POINTS THAT GOT JUST 18 POINTS IN 82 GAMES A MERE 3 SEASONS AGO!!!!
Not only do you make bad arguments, you list skewed stats and WRONG information. Why are you going back three years, let's live in the present here. His last two years production he averages about 45 points and 30 goals per season. He's also a late bloomer, many power forwards are. He also fights, makes space for his teammates, hits everything that moves, and can play in all situations. Every team in the league wanted him and some were willing to pay more for him. Lets deal with facts here not your fantasy league valuations and incorrect numbers.

Leafsin2014* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:52 AM
  #312
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2014 View Post
Not only do you make bad arguments, you list skewed stats and WRONG information. Why are you going back three years, let's live in the present here. His last two years production he averages about 45 points and 30 goals per season. He's also a late bloomer, many power forwards are. He also fights, makes space for his teammates, hits everything that moves, and can play in all situations. Every team in the league wanted him and some were willing to pay more for him. Lets deal with facts here not your fantasy league valuations and incorrect numbers.
Did Grabo have An off year or was he done and we knee jerked? Was this Clarksons Grabo peak?

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.