HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Today I skated a game with a cage on after a long time of no cage or visor.

Felt blind.

07-09-2013, 10:09 AM
roffleburger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out.
I have one, it's amazing

Old
07-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffleburger View Post
I have one, it's amazing
Yeah, I ended up picking up HockeyTron's Aviator and Dominator visors; 2 shields for half the cost of the Oakley. Very easy to fit to my E700 and look good.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Signed up for pickup. Right now there's six guys on our team, seven on the other. Might be a long night.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:00 PM
stocky

Playing some pick up tonight. Headed down in a little over an hour.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Two weeks ago in pickup I jammed my thumb getting pokechecked. Last night I took a shot off the other thumb. Sucks.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Frankie Spankie

One of our steady defenders missed today's game so I spent the majority of the morning on defense. I was surprisingly pretty decent, I'm the kind of defender that let's the forwards come to him and tries to keep them on the perimeter. I did have a really nice set up for a goal late in the game too. Stopped a clear at the blue line, stepped in for a slapshot and saw a teammate wide open on the far side. Faked the slapshot and kept it on the ice for a hard shot pass, he got all of it and banged it into a wide open net. Those are the kinds of plays that I absolutely love making.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Jisatsu

Got asked to play in a Div 1 game tonight. I hate being on the sub list, because I'll be asked to play and then an hour two before the game I get the awesome text "we don't need you tonight". Hoping that's not the case, as I'd like to start playing league play again. I'm getting a little bored with summer drop in games as there are too many kids showing up, and all the good players are taking time off because of it.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I found out no hockey this week. Apparently our rink is having some type of mold problem and is shut down till at least Monday. No hockey last week as our game day fell on the 4th of July. I'm having withdrawal.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Jisatsu

Had a 10:30 game last night. First div 1 game since 2003. Was a blast, we won 11-2. Scored the 10th goal in the 3rd period, so that was pretty awesome. I actually dragged my butt out of bed to play this morning. I'm dead tired.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Today I continue to day dream about returning to the ice. Since my hand injury and removable cast doesn't allow me gripping ability, I've been focusing a lot on lower body workouts and push-ups. My favorite is this circuit workout that takes about 45 mins that I've been doing at the beach on the loose sand.

Can't wait to skate again and find that extra gear I've been working towards.

Looks like when I return (assuming healing goes ok), I'll have to jump back to D for the playoffs so this long break (6 weeks and no more hopefully) will be nice to get my mind clear and start re-thinking the game from the back-end.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:08 AM
stocky

Today I played one of my worst games. Played on the same line tonight as an 18 year old (he comes with his dad, and most of the rest of the guys are about 40). He is pretty good, but he is a bit of a showoff and doesnt pass the puck. When he did, most of them were too hot for me to grab (my first year playing so I still suck at some stuff), and it resulted in even less passing from him. I also fell about 4 times tonight which never happens. I wasnt even this bad in my first game.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:16 AM
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski

vCash: 50
After fracturing the fifth metatarsal in my right foot on April 30th, I skated for the first tiem today. Only for about 15 minutes and lightly, but still, good first step. I'm looking to get back into it slowly over the next month, and I'm targeting September to play again. And i'll be playing goalie again, as my friends want me to lol.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
do0glas

Finished my 5x5 workout. made huge strides in bench/squat/deadlift/barbell row. I have 2 months left in the desert and will be doing a hockey centric workout.

day 1
explosive power
power cleans
depth jump
romanian deadlift
inverted barbell row
quick pull downs

day 3
strength
bench
squat
weighted pullups
random ancillary workouts (bicep curl, tricep, forearm, leg curls whatever i feel like)

day 5
core
dead bug
physio ball jacknife
weight decline situps
lower back raise
olympic deadlift
rotational core exercises (shot power generation)

hoping that it increases my skating agility (east/west style) and shot power on snap shots.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Ozz

Got a hatty today in our summer season opener. Tomorrow is my first game on a new team, then Thursday on another new team.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Greasy Sliders

Picked up a some new equipment today.

20k shouldies, ccm cl shins , and some new under gear.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Had my first game on Monday (first ever league match) with a team that had a 0-11 record with -70 goals last season, so I was super worried.

Was a lot of fun and I did not majorly poop the bed, got 3 assists or so (1st assists) but didn't score. We ended up winning 9-7.

I need to work a lot harder on conditioning and skating in the near future to get up to speed with everybody and contribute better to the team, but I was relatively happy with my performance.

Also, and I am shocked to say this, thank god for high school kids, haha. I don't know where they get their energy from, but I am extremely grateful for it, they were zooming all over the ice and actually were great team players, too. Looking forward to more!

Old
07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Had my first game on Monday (first ever league match) with a team that had a 0-11 record with -70 goals last season, so I was super worried.

Was a lot of fun and I did not majorly poop the bed, got 3 assists or so (1st assists) but didn't score. We ended up winning 9-7.

I need to work a lot harder on conditioning and skating in the near future to get up to speed with everybody and contribute better to the team, but I was relatively happy with my performance.

Also, and I am shocked to say this, thank god for high school kids, haha. I don't know where they get their energy from, but I am extremely grateful for it, they were zooming all over the ice and actually were great team players, too. Looking forward to more!
thats awesome, 3 point game in your first go around? good job!

Old
07-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Malarowski

To be perfectly honest, they were mostly me passing the puck on the breakout to one of the kids and them flying down the ice to score, nothing fancy. That's for next week.

Old
07-21-2013, 06:39 PM
scryan

Picked up some new knee pads today

I got a bunch of craigslist goalie pads, and my leg pads are more for a stand up style and didn't have very good knee protection. Tried some other tie on thigh protectors with knee caps but they flip up often...
These are beefy, but fit in the pads pretty well. Haven't played with them yet but I suited up the lower half and they felt pretty good. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow night.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Today I had 2 penalty shots and 5 shots on goal from the low slot.

I failed to score on any of them.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

One of my college buddies from back home told me he was picking up hockey and picked up some initial gear and started skating. I got so excited, I think I gave him information overload of resources including this section of HF. Brings me back to when I first started and puts a smile to my face.

LOVE THAT ****!

Old
07-23-2013, 04:31 AM
blackat
Rookie User

Today I went to pick up my skates from being sharpened, found out the sharpener hadn't even come in that day and therefore my skates hadn't been done. I was itching to get on the ice so badly that I just said stuff it, and went on with blunt skates anyway. Going onto the fresh ice in blunt skates was awful at first...but I managed to get a bit of grip, and got my stops up and going again. Can't wait to skate after they've been sharpened though!!

Old
07-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Malarowski

Second game, lost 4-11. Goalie left in a bunch of softies which took the wind out a bit although we were pushing pretty hard at a score of 4-7. Picked up an assist and two penalties (sadly both resulted in goals), one for tripping (he steps on my blade, not much I can do) and one for roughing (a guy stepped in front of me as I was hurrying to the puck and got wiped out.)

Old
07-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Well, it was Sunday...but I scored my first ever goal in an organized hockey league (Bell Sensplex). It was pretty awesome. I only started playing organized hockey this year (aged 25) and I have been getting a lot of help.

What made it even better was that the opposing goalie called our team terrible, and we proceeded to come back from 2 - 1 and win 6 - 4.

Closed Thread