HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Eric Lindros hall of fame worthy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2013, 10:28 AM
  #26
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,287
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
As much as I liked Lindros I would say no, Leclair is more worthy.

hell no

I love LeClair, but you're crazy if you think that

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
  #27
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
hell no

I love LeClair, but you're crazy if you think that
Your crazy, Leclair was a beast in front of the net. Lindros was a headcase the day he got drafted, Leclair played Hockey for hockey.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
  #28
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 491
Leclair would be nothing with Lindros, if anything, Leclairs 50 goal seasons should help put Lindros in the Hall

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
  #29
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,946
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I guess that's a good point. Though in both of those cases there were different circumstances. Bure was a pretty amazing goal scorer, which will get you more of an edge when getting into the Hall (60 goals twice, 50 goals thrice) and Neely kind of started the whole "power forward" and hard-nosed net play that we see in the NHL today, and he scored 50 goals in less than 50 games one season. Lindross really did none of those things, and had a lot of off-ice issues. I don't know if the NHL has guidelines like the MLBHOF has, but if there is off-ice criteria, I could see a lot of voters shying away from Lindross because of the difficulties throughout his career (not just injury related). But I do see your point about Neely and Bure getting in, which would seem to indicate that Lindross could get in. I wouldn't be upset if he got in, but I personally wouldn't vote for him.
One 's' in Lindros, DFF.

Lindros was a combination of size & skill that had not been seen before. Statistically, he was one of the greatest of all-time before injuries levelled him off. Lindros was dominant over a 8-9 year period, which included a year off due to injury. This doesn't even include his representation at the international level, which was pretty stellar for one of the world's greatest hockey nations.

There are players that you know when they're on he ice; today that's guys like Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin... there aren't many. The only player better over the entire decade of the 90's was Jagr. And, as many have mentioned, the HHoF selection committee already called Neely and Bure to the Hall, so Lindros will make it in eventually.

I don't know if it will be this year due to some burned bridges within the hockey community, but he has been making amends and will be selected for the HHoF soon enough.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
  #30
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,287
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Your crazy, Leclair was a beast in front of the net. Lindros was a headcase the day he got drafted, Leclair played Hockey for hockey.
Lindros was big reason LeClair was able to score so many goals.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
  #31
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Leclair would be nothing with Lindros, if anything, Leclairs 50 goal seasons should help put Lindros in the Hall
It was a combined effort, some say Lindros would have been average if it weren't for Renberg and Leclair....that's like saying Jagr was **** without Lemieux, untrue but Mario did help.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
  #32
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
As much as I liked Lindros I would say no, Leclair is more worthy.
Take your own advice and give your head a shake man.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
  #33
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,287
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
It was a combined effort, some say Lindros would have been average if it weren't for Renberg and Leclair....that's like saying Jagr was **** without Lemieux, untrue but Mario did help.
you're the only one that thinks LeClair should be there ahead of Lindros.....

but ya, we're the crazy ones

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
  #34
Kevin Danko
Web Design
 
Kevin Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,071
vCash: 897
If Lindros has two or three more healthy years in Philly...No question. His body of work as it stands...no.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
  #35
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you're the only one that thinks LeClair should be there ahead of Lindros.....

but ya, we're the crazy ones
You're sucking in too much Nickel slag there in Sudbury (LOL).....everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Sometimes it seems to be that Lindros made LecLair better player and LecLair made Lindros shine...im not sure about this but when they played together in Flyers they both rocked hard (also Renberg was quite god those days)...im sure Lindros had lot of potential himself, but LeClair really played above the limits in those seasons...

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:56 AM
  #36
Ilya Bryzastor
Registered User
 
Ilya Bryzastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
372 Goals , 493 assists , 865 points in 760 games for a 1.14 PPG which ranks 15th I believe. Part of one of the most dominant lines in NHL history , a cup appearance , 6 All star games , a Hart memorial and Ted Lindsay award. He should be a lock for the hall , and not snubbed because his career was cut short and he never reached the overrated 1,000 point mark.

Ilya Bryzastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  #37
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16
 
Cyborg LeClair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 400
LeClair AND Lindros were exceptional players (Lindros slightly moreso with his gamebreaking abilities)

And LeClair was able to prove that he was still just as great a player by continuing to score even when Lindros was out of the lineup. It's kind of like the production of Crosby and Malkin, Malkin still produces (even moreso) when Crosby is out of the lineup.

Personally (I'm a huge homer) I feel that both guys deserve to be in the HOF, Leclair because he was the best left wing in the game for 3-5 years and Lindros because he was the best player in the game for a handful of years. If anyone gets in first though, it should be Lindros.

I don't think it's THIS year though

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  #38
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
LeClair AND Lindros were exceptional players (Lindros slightly moreso with his gamebreaking abilities)

And LeClair was able to prove that he was still just as great a player by continuing to score even when Lindros was out of the lineup. It's kind of like the production of Crosby and Malkin, Malkin still produces (even moreso) when Crosby is out of the lineup.

Personally (I'm a huge homer) I feel that both guys deserve to be in the HOF, Leclair because he was the best left wing in the game for 3-5 years and Lindros because he was the best player in the game for a handful of years. If anyone gets in first though, it should be Lindros.

I don't think it's THIS year though
Well put.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
  #39
EstimatedProphet
Rookie User
 
EstimatedProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
It's always been my understanding that it's somewhat easier getting into the HHOF compared to other professional sports, is that correct? Annnd i think someone comparable to Lindros is Forseberg, similar career numbers and similar issues with injuries. I put them both in but I'm a biased homer

EstimatedProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
  #40
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,250
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
One 's' in Lindros, DFF.
Guess I won't be in the spelling hall of fame.

Quote:
Lindros was a combination of size & skill that had not been seen before. Statistically, he was one of the greatest of all-time before injuries levelled him off. Lindros was dominant over a 8-9 year period, which included a year off due to injury. This doesn't even include his representation at the international level, which was pretty stellar for one of the world's greatest hockey nations.

There are players that you know when they're on he ice; today that's guys like Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin... there aren't many. The only player better over the entire decade of the 90's was Jagr. And, as many have mentioned, the HHoF selection committee already called Neely and Bure to the Hall, so Lindros will make it in eventually.

I don't know if it will be this year due to some burned bridges within the hockey community, but he has been making amends and will be selected for the HHoF soon enough.
All good arguments and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the Hall (especially after taking Neely and Bure into consideration, which I wasn't before). But like I said, I wouldn't vote for him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:23 AM
  #41
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstimatedProphet View Post
It's always been my understanding that it's somewhat easier getting into the HHOF compared to other professional sports, is that correct? Annnd i think someone comparable to Lindros is Forseberg, similar career numbers and similar issues with injuries. I put them both in but I'm a biased homer
I dunno, you can only have 4 people in there, whereas MLB, they'll put in as many (or as little) that meet the required % of votes.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:26 AM
  #42
thom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
Yes he'-s hall of fame worthy if Steve Shutt is in Hall Erik will be sooner or later

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:39 AM
  #43
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner
 
JohnnyDrama21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Lindros gets in hands down. Not only because of Neely and Bure but because, aside from Lemieux and Jagr, he was one of the preeminent forwards of the '90s. A Hart, Pearson, 7 All-Star appearances, and a gold medal will all only help his chances.

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
  #44
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I don't know if it will be this year due to some burned bridges within the hockey community, but he has been making amends and will be selected for the HHoF soon enough.

agreed..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:45 AM
  #45
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Nope. If you let a guy in like Lindross then you are opening the floodgates to have cases made for a ton of "what could have been" type players. He had two or three really exceptional seasons. He was dominant when he played, but throughout his career his inability to play a full season really stifled him. That sucks for him, but a guy should get get into the HOF because he was one of the best players of all time, not because he could have been one of the best players of all time but wasn't because of injury.
Neely and Bure already being in aside, this is completely ridiculous. Lindros was one of the best players of all time. Anyone who watched saw it, and his numbers show it. How is he less deserving than someone like Ciccarelli who had 1200 points because he played over 1200 games? How does being above average for a long time trump being arguably the best over several years?

Two or three exceptional seasons? From 93-98 he averaged 1.42 PPG, a 116 point pace. In that time he had 2 90 point season, a 100 point season, and 70 points in the shortened 46 game season (124 point pace). He paced for 100 points in about half the seasons he played.

Lindros was an absolute force, and one of the greatest talents of all time. Allowing him in does not open any floodgates because there are not players like him. The closest thing would be Forsberg, and Crosby if he heads down the same path. Two more of the game's greatest talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
It was a combined effort, some say Lindros would have been average if it weren't for Renberg and Leclair....that's like saying Jagr was **** without Lemieux, untrue but Mario did help.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:52 AM
  #46
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
He definitely does deserve to be inducted

If both Neely and Bure can get in, Lindros should as well
Yes, But I have never met at person who was more loved or hated by Canadians than the Big E. There is a certain bar in South Jersey where we discussed his talents many times, some very, very heated. But as you stated, if Neely or Bure can get in then it is a no brainer.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  #47
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,642
vCash: 156
Lindros should be in. Shero is long, long, long overdue...the residual "********" over the BSB is just dumb at this point.

Leclair...hard to say. I can see him getting in at some point, but there are a few people in front of him.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  #48
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,250
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Neely and Bure already being in aside, this is completely ridiculous. Lindros was one of the best players of all time. Anyone who watched saw it, and his numbers show it. How is he less deserving than someone like Ciccarelli who had 1200 points because he played over 1200 games? How does being above average for a long time trump being arguably the best over several years?
Because that is how it goes. If you put up big numbers, even if over a long period of time, you'll get in in any sport. It happens in hockey. It happens in baseball. And so forth and so on.

Quote:
Two or three exceptional seasons? From 93-98 he averaged 1.42 PPG, a 116 point pace. In that time he had 2 90 point season, a 100 point season, and 70 points in the shortened 46 game season (124 point pace). He paced for 100 points in about half the seasons he played.
But he wasn't able to play a full season. That is going to count against you no matter how you slice it. His PPG pace was ridiculous. I agree. But where do you draw the line? At what point do you say that he simply didn't play enough to warrant the honor of being inducted into the HOF. I know Neely and Bure were inducted, and if they were up I would probably have similar arguments (though as I stated earlier there are differnet arguments to be made about Bure and Neely that aren't necessarily present here).

Lindros had four seasons where he played 70+ games. Only one where he played 80+. The majority of the time he was playing in the low fifties or less. He also sat out a year because of a contract dispute. He was a great player when he was on the ice, but IMO he wasn't on the ice enough. I completely understand your argument, I just don't agree with it.

Quote:
Lindros was an absolute force, and one of the greatest talents of all time. Allowing him in does not open any floodgates because there are not players like him. The closest thing would be Forsberg, and Crosby if he heads down the same path. Two more of the game's greatest talents.
But again, that is going on talent, not on ice production. Forsberg I would argue similarly, though Forsberg didn't have the off-ice issues that the voters are obviously considering. If you are talking just about most talented players of all time, I'd put Lindros on that list. But that doesn't mean he is a HOFer.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
  #49
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,642
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Because that is how it goes. If you put up big numbers, even if over a long period of time, you'll get in in any sport. It happens in hockey. It happens in baseball. And so forth and so on.



But he wasn't able to play a full season. That is going to count against you no matter how you slice it. His PPG pace was ridiculous. I agree. But where do you draw the line? At what point do you say that he simply didn't play enough to warrant the honor of being inducted into the HOF. I know Neely and Bure were inducted, and if they were up I would probably have similar arguments (though as I stated earlier there are differnet arguments to be made about Bure and Neely that aren't necessarily present here).

Lindros had four seasons where he played 70+ games. Only one where he played 80+. The majority of the time he was playing in the low fifties or less. He also sat out a year because of a contract dispute. He was a great player when he was on the ice, but IMO he wasn't on the ice enough. I completely understand your argument, I just don't agree with it.



But again, that is going on talent, not on ice production. Forsberg I would argue similarly, though Forsberg didn't have the off-ice issues that the voters are obviously considering. If you are talking just about most talented players of all time, I'd put Lindros on that list. But that doesn't mean he is a HOFer.
Missing games is going to count, sure, but it doesn't mean he wasn't utterly dominant when he played for a long time...and it certainly doesn't count as much as you think it does. Otherwise Bure wouldn't be in. Should we consider revoking Orr's HOF membership because he was injured often? No? That's because his injuries don't detract from his accomplishments or dominance much.

If there were an identical player who didn't miss games, sure. He should get in first. But, there isn't. There isn't really anyone waiting for the HOF who is like Lindros.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:43 PM
  #50
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Up until concussions Lindros was the 6th highest PPG guy in NHL history... he had almost exactly the same PPG as Crosby has at this point in his career.

In the 90's the only guys with more PPG than Lindros were Lemieux and Jagr.

He was, before his problems, one of the best forwards ever to play the game... so for 8 years one of the best forwards ever.

Add to that he was one of the toughest, nastiest SOB's on the ice every game, could fight anyone, was one of the bigger hitters in the league. He was one of a kind, he changed hockey.

If Bure got it, how can Lindros not!
I was leaning towards no, until I read your post. Nice one!

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.