HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things AHL" Part II...

Old
04-10-2013, 08:00 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Watters played his first game last night 0+-.
Do you mean Nick Walters? How can he be in the AHL at 18 years of age?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

I figure once Peoria is shut down for good, we'll discontinue the AHL thread line and just fold all that discussion into the stickied prospect thread. It always seemed odd to me to have those threads separated, and that will be a great time to make the merger.

If anyone has a problem with this plan, now's the time to discuss it.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I figure once Peoria is shut down for good, we'll discontinue the AHL thread line and just fold all that discussion into the stickied prospect thread. It always seemed odd to me to have those threads separated, and that will be a great time to make the merger.

If anyone has a problem with this plan, now's the time to discuss it.
Well, there are other things to discuss in a teams affiliate thread other than prospects such as when a team has a young coach with a future like Davis Payne at the helm among other things like veteran call-ups and their scouting reports. So I can see why Peoria deserved its own thread. Nearly every team on HF has an AHL thread. Moving forward, I foresee a lot of *****ing next year with the way our first year pro prospects will be handled in Chicago which might detract from the conversations and updates of our other prospects in Junior, Europe, and College if everything was dumped into one prospect thread. But I honestly don't care either way. It's your move, slick.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:27 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Well, there are other things to discuss in a teams affiliate thread other than prospects such as when a team has a young coach with a future like Davis Payne at the helm among other things like veteran call-ups and their scouting reports. So I can see why Peoria deserved its own thread. Nearly every team on HF has an AHL thread. Moving forward, I foresee a lot of *****ing next year with the way our first year pro prospects will be handled in Chicago which might detract from the conversations and updates of our other prospects in Junior, Europe, and College if everything was dumped into one prospect thread. But I honestly don't care either way. It's your move, slick.
Fair points.

I'm mostly interested in looking for ways to consolidate a few of the stickied threads. We have 11 stickies right now, which is a lot, and a decent number of them simply don't turn over all that fast, so they're often just block of dead space at the top of the forum. I'm looking for ways to cut down on the number of threads up there while increasing the activity of the ones that remain. AHL merging into Prospects and OT Sports into OT Lounge are two possibilities. The visiting fans thread is informative, but it's generated 77 replies in 2+ years. That could be unstuck and we could just field what few questions pop up as they come.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. This is a forum for "the people," after all.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:06 PM
STL fan in IA

I'm all for merging similar threads and unstickying (is that a word?) inactive threads but I don't mind the prospects and Peoria threads being separate. I think the Peoria thread will be quite active throughout the rest of season and even into the summer as it transitions into the Chicago Wolves thread.

The way I see it, Peoria (Wolves) thread = discussion on AHLers, call-up options, player development, etc. whereas the prospects thread focuses on prospects outside the organization in Jrs, College & Europe.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Wolves27
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Good luck with the Wolves organization next year, Blues fans. Just a terrible organization. I know they have a winning history but they're so obsessed with that winning history and their proven veterans that they make such bad decisions. I won't get into it as I don't want to use your thread as a platform for a rant, but just thought I'd warn you guys.
I just have to say as a Wolves fan don't listen to this misinformed fan. If the Canucks stay in Peoria you are going to see the same mismanagement you have been seeing with their minor league club before us and also with us. First their prospects have been ranked in the bottom of the league before we got them and their recent drafts have also not done anything to improve this. His example of someone we ruined Jordan Schroeder has been increasing his offensive production the two years he was here. But a negative for him is he is a small guy at 5ft 9in. You could check out the stats for yourself http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116647

Another set back is they have given us two different coaches with different styles. One the veteran in Craig MacTavish who is very defense minded and the other is their golden boy who when he was hired I liked from his time in Manitoba Scott Arniel. Now after watching this team for the year I am glad he will be leaving and going to Peoria or where ever they play next year. He was the coach in Manitoba, then got the head coaching job in Columbus, got fired and Vancouver brought him back. When MacTavish left they moved him into the head coach for the Wolves. People have been questioning his coaching ability after seeing him. Still do not understand why they have Haydar at the point for power plays when he is slow and does not have a hard slap shot.

He talks about the AHL only guys the Wolves have. They are Haydar, Sterling (who you guys signed last year), Miller (4th year who has been a healthy scratch), Matheson, Hunt (who is in his second year as a pro), and Davies (third year as a pro). The other guys are ones that the Vancouver GM likes to sign to AHL contracts to get around the salary cap. Matt Clime is one of those guys. If one of Vancouvers two goalies go down they would call him. Though he signed a one-year two-way deal with the Canucks he also signed a one-way deal with the Wolves. Why is he getting all the playing time I have no clue. That is all an Arniel decision. I have seen Cannata play and he is not bad. The problem though with Vancouver is they have a jam at goalie with the two in the NHL and then Lack who is injured and these two. Another guy he talked about was Andrew Gordon who the Canucks traded for last season and have been calling up for periods of time and is currently with the Canucks.

So yes we do have our couple veterans but they are needed as your players will move on to the NHL And if your GM is drafting crap people will not pay to see players develop then the team will be losing money.

Wolves27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:32 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Good luck with the Wolves organization next year, Blues fans. Just a terrible organization. I know they have a winning history but they're so obsessed with that winning history and their proven veterans that they make such bad decisions.
As a Canuck fan and someone who also watches a lot of Wolves games (80%), this is severely overblown and a one sided argument.

No one was complaining about Wolves management or coaching under MacT, in fact, the majority praised MacT and the Wolves for what they accomplished and many were pleased with how our prospects progressed under them in the first year. Several of our prospects developed more than ever and had career years.

But this season has been completely different. Both the Canucks and Wolves share the blame. The Canucks heavily influenced the signing of Arniel, who has been the root of the majority of the problems this season. Under MacT, they were a great defensive team, was top5 in PK for the majority of the year, despite having a lessor team. Under Arniel, they have struggled defensively and on specials teams, and also have trouble scoring despite having a much better roster. Some vocal Canuck fans seem to think Wendell Young is on the bench forcing Arniel's hand in line combos and special team formation/player selection. Arniel's decisions are his own and for the most part, have been incredibly poor this season.

Next, the defense has had significant problems. First it began with the promotion of Nolan Baumgartner to become the defensive coach, never has he had any coaching experience in the past, he is a rookie coach who has admitted to the press that he has been going by trial and error this season, and is still feeling his way around. Next, there was a regression of several Canuck prospects. Connauton looks bipolar at times and Sauve looked so in over his head, he deserved every benching he got and the demotion to the ECHL.

Quote:
Jordan Schroeder, the Canucks' 1st round pick in 2009, is definitely one of them, although he is slowly getting his development back on track after some crucial experience in the NHL this season. Without Ebbett in the lineup, who was their top line center before being called up by the Canucks, the Wolves have resorted to using veteran wingers (Andrew Gordon, Tim Miller) as the top line center, rather than just promoting Schroeder. Luckily, with some added confidence after his stint in the NHL, he's doing just fine on the 2nd line with two other Canucks prospects.

Another one is 2008 2nd round pick Yann Sauve. Not much has ever been expected of this guy but he was still highly praised and used a ton by last year's Wolves coach Craig MacTavish and he improved a ton as a result. This year the Wolves signed a few more veteran defensemen and hired a new coach and Sauve found himself in the ECHL, even though he deserved to be in the Wovles lineup over more one dimensional guys on AHL only deals.
Tim Miller did not even play in a center role this season, has been mainly used on the 4th line wing.

Andrew Gordon is a Canuck contract, Canuck Property. When he was healthy, he looked good as the top line C for the Wolves. Lacks the footspeed at the NHL level, but is very good in the AHL. Not sure why you are complaining. This is a Canuck Vet they put down there. Schroeder last season demonstrated he did not have very good chemistry with Haydar.

My only complaint regarding Schroeder is when he is used. Under MacT he saw significant time on the PK. Arniel removed him from the PK this season. That's a coaches decision, not a Wolves management decision. Also, i think he should be used more prominently when games are on the line, especially when he is already having a good game. Again that's a coaches decision, a coach the Canucks brought in.

----

Yann Sauve was not forced out because the Wolves signed a few more veteran defensemen. Sauve was forced to the ECHL because of his own play and performance. He looked like a chicken with his head cut off the majority of the games prior to his demotion. He is a player with an identity crisis. The Canucks and the Wolves have been trying to get him to play a simpler game, but he did everything possible to do the opposite. He forced passes, leading to turnovers, pinched when he shouldn't have, lost position and coverage behind the net frequently. You want to know the reason why Sauve is in the ECHL, look no further than Sauve himself.

The Canucks are as guilty as the Wolves for contributing to the logjam on D. Canucks brought in Mullen, Joslin, Vandermeer. Tanev/Connauton got a ton of playing time, Andersson worked his way up and got a ton of playing time. The Wolves brought in Hunt who has had a relatively good season; Matheson, and Miskovic. They traded miskovic away because of the logjam and to get him more playing time. The only guy who is really questionable is Matheson and possibly, the new addition of Groulx.

One correction to Wolves27 post, we did not sign Sterling. That is a Wolves signing, one that has worked very well, plays with such an edge for a little man. I'm sure Peoria fans are familiar with him.

----

Was the last 2 years smooth or ideal with the Wolves? Not exactly, but its not the "terrible" organization people like to lead you to believe.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:00 PM
aceoutdoor

Hakanpaa a goal tonight and was +2. 4 points in 10 games.

aceoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:27 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
All things come to a end, and the last game for the Peoria Rivermen (as a Blues affiliate anyway) is Sunday 4/21/2013 vs. the Milwaukee Admirals.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:36 AM
erderuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
All things come to a end, and the last game for the Peoria Rivermen (as a Blues affiliate anyway) is Sunday 4/21/2013 vs. the Milwaukee Admirals.
Wow. That should be a really emotional game. Hope the Rivs can win it.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Nikki Nine

TJ Hensick signed with Modo in the Swedish Elite League today. What can you tell me about him that can not be deduced from the stat sheets?

Nikki Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Nine View Post
TJ Hensick signed with Modo in the Swedish Elite League today. What can you tell me about him that can not be deduced from the stat sheets?
He might be pretty good over there. He just couldn't handle the physical play at the NHL level here. I could see him being a good pickup for them. He's fast with pretty good offense.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Alklha

He probably would have had the offense for the NHL if he was bigger, but his all round game wouldn't have cut it. He is fast, but below average defensively and can disappear from games. He doesn't glide about waiting for the puck as much as he did in the past though.

I'd be surprised if he didn't do well over in the Elitserien.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Nine View Post
Hensick should be able to score well in The SEL on that bigger ice surface, lateral game, and with more time to operate. He might become a minor star there.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:03 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Undersized former college stars like Jack Connelly and Hensick typically always thrive in Europe.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:23 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
As others said I could really see Hensick tearing the SEL up, he's got good offensive skills just couldnt handle the physicality of the NHL.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

My Exclusive Interview With Former Rivermen Goaltender, Mike McKenna

Hope you guys enjoy.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Alklha

Acquired Pat Cannone from the Senators for future considerations.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Acquired Pat Cannone from the Senators for future considerations.
Sens fan here.

How has future considerations looked for you guys?

Super Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:25 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
Sens fan here.

We'll see.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:23 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
Sens fan here.

Struggling offensively but he has improved his two-way game for sure. Has become more responsible in defensive zone with his stick checking.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Edgar

Cannone

Quote:

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced Monday the club has acquired forward Pat Cannone from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for future considerations.

Cannone, 26, dressed in 74 games for the American Hockey League’s (AHL) Binghamton Senators last season, registering 25 points (10 goals, 15 assists) to go along with 41 penalty minutes.

Overall, the 5-foot-11, 192-pound forward has appeared in 152 career AHL games over three seasons with Binghamton (2010-2013), totaling 70 points (30 goals, 40 assists) and 75 penalty minutes.

The Bayport, New York native was originally signed by Ottawa as a free agent on April 8, 2011.
We got him and he is gonna be huge for this team. If this doesn't make Armstrong a lock for GM of the year, I don't know what will. Let's all talk about how great this is and how it will impact our team.

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Steve Doan
Portugal. The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
We got him and he is gonna be huge for this team. If this doesn't make Armstrong a lock for GM of the year, I don't know what will. Let's all talk about how great this is and how it will impact our team.
Signing a 26 year old career AHLer makes Army a lock for GM of the year?

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:57 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Signing a 26 year old career AHLer makes Army a lock for GM of the year?
I think you missed the sarcasm.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:11 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

yay cannone.... Miami of Ohio grad

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote