HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 11.0 - Logo Kissing Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
  #1
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Alex Galchenyuk Thread 11.0 - Logo Kissing Edition

continue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Galchenyuk
Alex galchenyuk ‏@AGally94 6 Jul
Hey @lufthansa it's been 5 days are u trying to find my bag that you guys LOST? Great effort #EMBARRASSING @Lufthansa_USA @Lufthansa_DE

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  #2
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
I'm wondering if 'Great Effort' edition isn't a better name.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:57 PM
  #3
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Just listened to Haggerty talk about the Seguin fiasco in Boston... Some of the problems he listed were that, because Seguin was young...
1- Seguin wasn't given enough responsibility on the team.
2- Seguin wasn't put in any position to exercise leadership.
3- Seguin was just put on the roster and taken along for the ride.

Gallchenyuk should be Center all season. That's why he was drafted...If DD is still there, Galchenyuk should be allowed to fight for PP time and ice time on an equal footing against him. No more Gomez-style preferential treatment for DD to get him to build his confidence.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
  #4
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
What a diva, trade him.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
  #5
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
O'Byrne took it.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
  #6
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,535
vCash: 1040
Not sure why, but I laughed at the tweet

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:03 PM
  #7
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,902
vCash: 500
Character issues, no patience.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
  #8
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Just listened to Haggerty talk about the Seguin fiasco in Boston... Some of the problems he listed were that, because Seguin was young...
1- Seguin wasn't given enough responsibility on the team.
2- Seguin wasn't put in any position to exercise leadership.
3- Seguin was just put on the roster and taken along for the ride.
This just sound weird. FIRST you are asked to prove your worth, THEN you are given responsabilities and asked to exerce leadership - not the other way around. In hockey, and in any other professional domain. Doing the reverse is the kind of crap a petulant teenager would complain about.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  #9
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
This just sound weird. FIRST you are asked to prove your worth, THEN you are given responsabilities and asked to exerce leadership - not the other way around. In hockey, and in any other professional domain. Doing the reverse is the kind of crap a petulant teenager would complain about.
Haggerty compared the case of Seguin with Hall. He said the Oilers didn't have a choice so they foisted responsibilities on Hall and Hall ended up developping better. Hall had to sink or swim.

He also said that no vets took Seguin under his wings to show leadership by example. He gave the example of Patrice Bergeron learning how to be a pro with Martin Lapointe when he just arrived in the NHL.

Basically, because he was younger and there was already a very strong established leadership core of Campbell, Lucic, Bergeron, etc... Seguin was just taken along for the ride and he was always the kid.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
  #10
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Haggerty compared the case of Seguin with Hall. He said the Oilers didn't have a choice so they foisted responsibilities on Hall and Hall ended up developping better. Hall had to sink or swim.

He also said that no vets took Seguin under his wings to show leadership by example. He gave the example of Patrice Bergeron learning how to be a pro with Martin Lapointe when he just arrived in the NHL.

Basically, because he was younger and there was already a very strong established leadership core of Campbell, Lucic, Bergeron, etc... Seguin was just taken along for the ride and he was always the kid.
Pretty funny that folks said that the kids were going to be ruined in Edmonton because there were no vets and Hall is already arguably a top ten forward in the league. Meanwhile Seguin is on freaking Boston and they're complaining about his development...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
  #11
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Yeah, I think I'm with you Erik. How many great centermen were groomed at the NHL level on the wing for a number of years?

Last year, I think throwing him into center would've been foolish because of the fact that he played 6 games during his draft year. This last year he played in 97 games including OHL, WJC, WC, NHL, and NHL Playoffs. He got some great experience, and learned a lot by the end of it. I think it's time to let him learn on the job.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:24 PM
  #12
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Pretty funny that folks said that the kids were going to be ruined in Edmonton because there were no vets and Hall is already arguably a top ten forward in the league. Meanwhile Seguin is on freaking Boston and they're complaining about his development...
Very arguable actually. Hall is a top 10 talent I agree, but I don't think he has established enough consistency nor enough of a full body of work due to injuries to be labeled a top ten forward in the league.

Seguin, a season ago, was also arguable a top 10 center in the league. Or at least, production wise, he was.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
  #13
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Pretty funny that folks said that the kids were going to be ruined in Edmonton because there were no vets and Hall is already arguably a top ten forward in the league. Meanwhile Seguin is on freaking Boston and they're complaining about his development...
It make no sense for a team like Boston, who already had a strong leadership group, to use the "sink or swim" approach with a rookie. Teams who give big responsibilities to rookies are the one who don't already have leadership - and thus, don't have any other choice than to trust a rookie.

"I'm not motivated to get better because I don't have responsibilities" is the kind of antics a inexperienced teenager would use. The world doesn't work like that. Sure, there are exceptions, but these are precisely exceptions.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
  #14
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
It make no sense for a team like Boston, who already had a strong leadership group, to use the "sink or swim" approach with a rookie. Teams who give big responsibilities to rookies are the one who don't already have leadership - and thus, don't have any other choice than to trust a rookie.

"I'm not motivated to get better because I don't have responsibilities" is the kind of antics a inexperienced teenager would use. The world doesn't work like that. Sure, there are exceptions, but these are precisely exceptions.
I agree in principle.
Galchenyuk would be an exception. He stepped in the league when he was 18... When forwards make the jump to the NHL they're often 22. If they're a Center in the AHL, they play Center in the NHL.

Galchenyuk was in an unnatural situation. He was played at a position with less responsibilities. He was given sheltered minutes. He was babied in a way Toews, Malkin, Backstrom, Staal and other top-3 drafted Centers were not when they stepped in the NHL. That was fine and I was OK with it last season. The question is how much longer can this go on until it starts being detrimental. You can't deliberately stunt growth to protect a player because he's younger.

You don't grow leaders by treating players like babies.


Last edited by Erik Estrada: 07-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
  #15
Ghetto Sangria
The implication
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I agree in principle.
Galchenyuk would be an exception. He stepped in the league when he was 18... When forwards make the jump to the NHL they're often 22. If they're a Center in the AHL, they play Center in the NHL.

Galchenyuk was in an unnatural situation. He was played at a position with less responsibilities. He was given sheltered minutes. He was babied in a way Toews, Malkin, Backstrom, Staal and other top-3 drafted Centers were not when they stepped in the NHL. That was fine and I was OK with it last season. The question is how much longer can this go on until it starts being detrimental. You can't deliberately stunt growth to protect a player because he's younger.

You don't grow leaders by treating players like babies.
For every Toews, Backstrom you got a Kesler, Giroux. There is evidence of both starting on the wing or starting at center. It's situational. One method is not particularly more effective than the other.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
  #16
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,843
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Subban was also asked to sink or swim when Markov was out for the year! He had his share of mistakes but in the longterm, it paid off!!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
  #17
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
For every Toews, Backstrom you got a Kesler, Giroux. There is evidence of both starting on the wing or starting at center. It's situational. One method is not particularly more effective than the other.
Do you know many Centers that were drafted Top-3 that were asked to play Wing for a couple of season before being given the opportunity to play Center?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
  #18
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
I'm sure MT will accomodate his move to center in some situations at some point next season. Whether it's for the first game or later in the season is irrelevant.

All-Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:42 PM
  #19
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Just listened to Haggerty talk about the Seguin fiasco in Boston... Some of the problems he listed were that, because Seguin was young...
1- Seguin wasn't given enough responsibility on the team.
2- Seguin wasn't put in any position to exercise leadership.
3- Seguin was just put on the roster and taken along for the ride.
Once again it could be counter-intuitive but there's some history behind this....

"The team can see the natural leaders, who are necessary, but the potential leaders are the most important. They are the people you have to get to. The natural leaders you don't have to do very much to. The potential leaders are the people who have the ability to lead and who need added responsibility. ... They have to have a role, they can't just be your extra players. The team has to know that player is important."
-Ken Hitchcock p.39 in Walter/Johnston "Simply the Best"

And for a practical application:

“Messier was having a good time, with a vengeance. A couple of years later he would admit that he went out when the lights went out and came home when they went off.

“Messier stepped out of line more than once at the start of the Oilers' season. He missed a team bus at one point and showed up late for a few practices..."
(he even missed a game in St-Louis)

Despite this:

(Kevin) Lowe remembers that Sather “pushed” him and Messier into leadership roles, “straight out” telling them: “Hey, you guys take charge. You tell'em when they're screwing up.
-in Messier (Klein) p, 30-31.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:06 AM
  #20
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I agree in principle.
Galchenyuk would be an exception. He stepped in the league when he was 18... When forwards make the jump to the NHL they're often 22. If they're a Center in the AHL, they play Center in the NHL.

Galchenyuk was in an unnatural situation. He was played at a position with less responsibilities. He was given sheltered minutes. He was babied in a way Toews, Malkin, Backstrom, Staal and other top-3 drafted Centers were not when they stepped in the NHL. That was fine and I was OK with it last season. The question is how much longer can this go on until it starts being detrimental. You can't deliberately stunt growth to protect a player because he's younger.

You don't grow leaders by treating players like babies.
I was actually thinking that Galchenyuk should develop in the minors... He had a good first season though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Subban was also asked to sink or swim when Markov was out for the year! He had his share of mistakes but in the longterm, it paid off!!
Some guys can do it, some can't.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
  #21
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Do you know many Centers that were drafted Top-3 that were asked to play Wing for a couple of season before being given the opportunity to play Center?
Those players, mostly, were not 18 years old and weren't sidelined for nearly a whole year just prior being drafted.

Anyways, I think AG has to be a little more tested at Center, and that DD needs to be a little more tested at Wing, so we probably have a perfect match.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
  #22
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Those players, mostly, were not 18 years old and weren't sidelined for nearly a whole year just prior being drafted.

Anyways, I think AG has to be a little more tested at Center, and that DD needs to be a little more tested at Wing, so we probably have a perfect match.
I agree that most of those players weren't sidelined the year before with an injury. However, most of those players were 18 years old drafted out of Juniors and played in the NHL the season following the draft.

If you're drafted Top-3 as a Center you're a thoroughbred. You need to be given responsibilities.

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played in the NHL right after the draft. (1982-2012)

Pat Lafontaine
Kirk Muller
Ed Olczyk
Jimmy Carson
Trevor Linden
Keith Primeau
Chris Gratton
Radek Bonk
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton
Matt Duchene
Tyler Seguin

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played pro in Europe right after the draft. (1982-2012)

Alexei Yashin (Russia)
Olli Jokinen (SM-liiga)
Henrik Sedin (SEL)

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played Junior Majors right after the draft. (1982-2012)

Neil Brady (bust)
Scott Thornton (bust)
David Legwand
Jason Spezza
Jonathan Huberdeau

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played in US College right after the draft. (1982-2012)

Kyle Turris
Jonathan Toews (played full-time with Hawks at 19 yo-: 64-24-30-54)


Last edited by Erik Estrada: 07-09-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:54 AM
  #23
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I agree that most of those players weren't sidelined the year before with an injury. However, most of those players were 18 years old drafted out of Juniors and played in the NHL the season following the draft.

If you're drafted Top-3 as a Center you're a thoroughbred. You need to be given responsibilities.

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played in the NHL right after the draft. (1982-2002)

Pat Lafontaine
Kirk Muller
Ed Olczyk
Jimmy Carson
Trevor Linden
Keith Primeau
Chris Gratton
Radek Bonk
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton
Matt Duchene
Tyler Seguin

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played pro in Europe right after the draft. (1982-2002)

Alexei Yashin (Russia)
Olli Jokinen (SM-liiga)
Henrik Sedin (SEL)

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played Junior Majors right after the draft. (1982-2002)

Neil Brady (bust)
Scott Thornton (bust)
David Legwand
Jason Spezza
Jonathan Huberdeau

List of Centers drafted #2 or #3 who played in US College right after the draft. (1982-2002)

Kyle Turris
Jonathan Toews (played full-time with Hawks at 19 yo-: 64-24-30-54)
I think you mean 1982-2012. Good list though.

Draft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:56 AM
  #24
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I think you mean 1982-2012. Good list though.
Made the correction, thanks.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:58 AM
  #25
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
I'm sure MT will accomodate his move to center in some situations at some point next season. Whether it's for the first game or later in the season is irrelevant.
The question I have is how long until MT gives in and starts giving Eller/Galchenyuk DD's minutes. That's my major concern at this point (and nothing that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on these parts).

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.