HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
He was better than Lauridsen that people still insist should be penciled into the lineup.
Lauridsen's peak may only be a bottom pairing defenseman, but he stands a much better chance to become an NHL regular than Marshall does. Marshall is below average in every defensive aspect.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:46 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
He was better than Lauridsen that people still insist should be penciled into the lineup.
Marshall was terrible compared to how Lauridsen has played. Obviously Oliver isn't gonna be a top defender but I easily have faith that he will be more of an NHL player than Marshall.

Marshall got wrecked playing bottom pairing on the Flyers. Oliver did a better job against harder competition.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Lauridsen's peak may only be a bottom pairing defenseman, but he stands a much better chance to become an NHL regular than Marshall does. Marshall is below average in every defensive aspect.
What defensive aspect does Lauridsen possess? Size? Because it sure isn't speed, skill, mobility, or puck-moving.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
What defensive aspect does Lauridsen possess? Size? Because it sure isn't speed, skill, mobility, or puck-moving.
Or positioning...the guy isnt that good. I never understood the love fest for him or Bourdon.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:57 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Or positioning...the guy isnt that good. I never understood the love fest for him or Bourdon.
He was serviceable and he is huge. That is really it. I don't get it either. Over a long season, I think he gets exposed quite easily.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
I think his positioning definitely improved over his span with the big club. Not leaps and bounds, but it was there. It mostly comes down as to whether he can work on that.

Right now, he's got a large body he can use to clear the area in front of the net...if his positioning and decision making improve, I could see him following Grossman's model.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:00 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Well his size does help him, especially if he's playing on the bottom pair against other team's third and fourth line grinder types. He's more mobile than I thought he would be. I was imaging Hatcher in his final days based on reports that I had heard on him, but he was above that level. I'm not here to defend Lauridsen to the death. I even admitted that his peak is as a bottom pair defenseman in the Adam McQuaid mold, but Kevin Marshall was brutal. He wasn't even good at the AHL level. I don't even see how this is debatable.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:06 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Apparently Boston is shopping Chris Kelly and Brad Marchand? What the hell are they doing? I would love to have a guy like Marchand on this team.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:09 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Apparently Boston is shopping Chris Kelly and Brad Marchand? What the hell are they doing? I would love to have a guy like Marchand on this team.
Mehh, already have a better version of him in Simmonds. Id love Kelly on Couturiers wing though.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Mehh, already have a better version of him in Simmonds. Id love Kelly on Couturiers wing though.
Kelly is a great defensive forward. Isn't he a good faceoff guy too?

I don't think there's any chance that they are moved here, by the way, just stating I like the players.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
With Marchand, the same thing they did with Seguin. Kelly? I don't know.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
IceHot

Quote:
I really dont understand the love fest here for Lauridsen..
He must be doing something right just look a the stats:
our best Phantom defenders were like -22 while Lauridsen was the only + player. Our Flyers Goalies performed MUCH better when Lauridsen was in the lineup and even more so on the ice.
So why? Have you ever seen his hits through his young career?
Have you seen how he keeps the crease clear?
Everyone's been complaining how we have no defenders who keep the opposition out of the crease or from toying and interfering with our goalie (which mysteriously the refs did not call).
Lauridsen keeps the crease clear, lays hard hits, tires and ties up guys in the corners, blocks view of the net, blocks shots, causes players to pass and avoid shooting around him thus causing more coughed up pucks. Things not on stats you might miss occur, which is why the + - stats always show in favor of his presence unlike someone we will not name, who always seemed to be on ice for those goals against and couldn't use his big frame to clear the crease or get the puck up ice. When that said player was out and Lauridsen was in you saw the Goalies perform better, the team was better and they won games all of a sudden. But hey, what do I know, I was only the one who told you guys Read would make the team and surprise the hell out of you's his rookie year. I was also the one who said Get Vokoun short term to compliment and thus keep and groom Bob.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
He must be doing something right just look a the stats:
our best Phantom defenders were like -22 while Lauridsen was the only + player. Our Flyers Goalies performed MUCH better when Lauridsen was in the lineup and even more so on the ice.
So why? Have you ever seen his hits through his young career?
Have you seen how he keeps the crease clear?
Everyone's been complaining how we have no defenders who keep the opposition out of the crease or from toying and interfering with our goalie (which mysteriously the refs did not call).
Lauridsen keeps the crease clear, lays hard hits, tires and ties up guys in the corners, blocks view of the net, blocks shots, causes players to pass and avoid shooting around him thus causing more coughed up pucks. Things not on stats you might miss occur, which is why the + - stats always show in favor of his presence unlike someone we will not name, who always seemed to be on ice for those goals against and couldn't use his big frame to clear the crease or get the puck up ice. When that said player was out and Lauridsen was in you saw the Goalies perform better, the team was better and they won games all of a sudden. But hey, what do I know, I was only the one who told you guys Read would make the team and surprise the hell out of you's his rookie year. I was also the one who said Get Vokoun short term to compliment and thus keep and groom Bob.
Mason playing out of his mind was more of a reason why he looked good. He was still facing upwards to 40+ shots during the final stretch. He made Lauridsen & the rest of the defense look better not the other way around.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:43 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Bryz also looked better the last few games of the year as well, not just Mason

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:49 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

MARSHALL
87.60 NHL minutes
0.091 Hits/m
0.045 Blocked Shots/m
+0.012 Takeaway/m
0.000 Penalties/m

LAURIDSEN
227.02 NHL minutes
0.159 Hits/m
0.106 Blocked Shots/m
-0.053 Takeaway/m
0.075 Penalties/m

All in all, what we see is that Lauridsen was more active in games both negatively and positively. Marshall was more stable with the puck and in not taking penalties. Lauridsen however was hitting more and blocking more shots.

Small sample size is obvious and not to be overlooked, but all in all, they were very different defensemen when they played at the NHL level.

Lauridsen got a longer stint and more minutes because of the greater injury issue on the back-end compared to when Marshall was involved in play.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Absurdity!!!!

Do you watch hockey?

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Absurdity!!!!

Do you watch hockey?
Lauridsen wasn't that great. Sure he hit and blocked shots, but his blocked shots were generally because of size not because of lane positioning and his hits were generally taking him out of position, from which point he often got stupid penalties.

Couple this with the fact that he grossed more turnovers per minute than even the mighty Matt Carle...

Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
MARSHALL
87.60 NHL minutes
0.091 Hits/m
0.045 Blocked Shots/m
+0.012 Takeaway/m
0.000 Penalties/m

LAURIDSEN
227.02 NHL minutes
0.159 Hits/m
0.106 Blocked Shots/m
-0.053 Takeaway/m
0.075 Penalties/m

All in all, what we see is that Lauridsen was more active in games both negatively and positively. Marshall was more stable with the puck and in not taking penalties. Lauridsen however was hitting more and blocking more shots.

Small sample size is obvious and not to be overlooked, but all in all, they were very different defensemen when they played at the NHL level.

Lauridsen got a longer stint and more minutes because of the greater injury issue on the back-end compared to when Marshall was involved in play.
These stats mean absolutely nothing.

Except for one, and that's minutes played. Marshall played 87 (in what, like 10 games), Lauridsen played 227, in 15. Not too telling but at least Lauridsen was allowed on the ice.

Marshall was and is a complete joke of a NHL player.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
These stats mean absolutely nothing.

Except for one, and that's minutes played. Marshall played 87 (in what, like 10 games), Lauridsen played 227, in 15. Not too telling but at least Lauridsen was allowed on the ice.

Marshall was and is a complete joke of a NHL player.
So was and is Lauridsen at this point.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Lauridsen wasn't that great. Sure he hit and blocked shots, but his blocked shots were generally because of size not because of lane positioning and his hits were generally taking him out of position, from which point he often got stupid penalties.

Couple this with the fact that he grossed more turnovers per minute than even the mighty Matt Carle...
Lauridsen may not be winning a Norris, but he the tools to be an NHL player.

He uses his size well, he's not as horrible a skater people make him out to be, and he does have some offensive insticts to boot. Is he very raw? Yes.

But Marshall? Dude had zero hockey IQ and was 10 seconds behind the play at all times. The guy is just not NHL material.

His dancing during intermission on 24/7.... Pure fantasy camp stuff there.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Hiesenberg

Lauridson will probably be a 6/7 NHL guy.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
So was and is Lauridsen at this point.
Lauridsen was contributing to a string of Flyers wins when the defence was depleted. He was solid out there, if not spectacular. Not to mention the guy had some balls and was willing to stick up for his teammates and clear the crease. What's the joke about that?

Marshall looked like he should go back to the beer leagues.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Hiesenberg

Marshall was bad
Lauridson is less than bad.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:46 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Lauridsen may not be winning a Norris, but he the tools to be an NHL player.

He uses his size well, he's not as horrible a skater people make him out to be, and he does have some offensive insticts to boot. Is he very raw? Yes.

But Marshall? Dude had zero hockey IQ and was 10 seconds behind the play at all times. The guy is just not NHL material.

His dancing during intermission on 24/7.... Pure fantasy camp stuff there.
This is the point that is kind of missed on Lauridsen. The guy was a seventh round pick in only his second year of professional hockey last year. Late round guys usually take 3-5 years of to develop because they're often project picks. The fact that he was able to at least hang at the NHL level just three years after being drafted so low is a good indication that this guy might have an NHL future. He had no business being in the NHL last year if you go by draft status and his NHL arrival projections.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Lauridsen was contributing to a string of Flyers wins when the defence was depleted. He was solid out there, if not spectacular. Not to mention the guy had some balls and was willing to stick up for his teammates and clear the crease. What's the joke about that?

Marshall looked like he should go back to the beer leagues.
Lauridsen was much more active than Marshall, but like I said, this isn't about Lauridsen's activity. Sure, I'd rather have a guy do something than relatively nothing at all like Marshall, but to promote Lauridsen's play is backhanded.

Lauridsen was a liability every time he wasn't pushing a guy around in front of the net. That means he was a liability along the boards, a liability in the neutral zone, a liability on the point, and more importantly, a liability with the puck.

He needs to get much better before we stick him with the NHL-worthy label.