HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Where would MDZ fit?

With EJ on top pairing? Could handle that? Personally, I don't think so.

With Barrie? Would prefer him with physical, defensive guy.

On bottom pairing? Would it be worth the cost then?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Where would MDZ fit?

He averaged 23 minutes/game last year. I'm pretty sure he could handle it.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
You are, of course, correct. Smith - and Quincey for that matter - were pretty good in last year's playoffs. Detroit took Chicago to a Game 7 OT in Round 2, and Smith generally played pretty well. He wasn't great, but certainly not terrible. Chicago's forecheck eventually wore them down in a few games in that series, and yes, Smith and Quincey struggled some in those games, but Chicago's forecheck made a lot of teams and their defensemen look kind of bad this season. I believe Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik are pretty darn good defenders, but neither one looked terribly good against Chicago in the playoffs.

And no bloody way on earth is Elliott better defensively than Smith. Come on.
I think we can all agree tht even though Elliott's offensive game was down last season, he made big strides on the defensive department and improved leaps and bounds.

I tend to over exaggerate on things and I apoligize for that, but my point about Smith's defensive game still stands IMO. He might not be as bad as Elliott, but considering how much hype he got from Red Wing fans and the outcome of his play proves my point.

As I said in the past, my brother is a Penguins fan and I was able to watch a lot of Penguin games over the season. Orpik is notice player he once was, sadly physical defensive defensemen careers run a bit shorter than the rest of the players in the NHL and Orpik is regressing. With that said I would rather pay Hainsey 4 million dollars a year than trade pieces for Brooks.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1472
It's all about psychology.

The more people say that Hainsey is good, and will help the defense, the more people believe it. "Hype".

07-09-2013, 01:20 PM
henchman24
If and if...

I think the more time goes on, the less chance Hainsey has of getting over $3m, let alone over 4. A 2 year 5.5m total deal would be an amazing deal for him. He could step into the top pairing right now, and be solid enough for this season. Then, if the Avs have cap troubles, or a young defensemen proves he is ready, Hainsey has great trade value on basically a 1 year 2.75m deal.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Where would MDZ fit?

I think if you put MDZ next to EJ, EJ would just focus on the defensive side and let MDZ run **** in the offensive zone. That would be an effective pairing, maybe not the eat 23+ minutes every night against the toughest lines pairing that we want, but it would give us two quality pairings that could eat 42+ minutes a night between them. It would be a fine solution for now if the price wasn't too high because we'd be buying low on a guy, so if we end up with a glut of PMDs if all 3 of MDZ, Barrie and Elliott reach their top end potential, we can then make a move to upgrade.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I would absolutely take MDZ if he came cheap, but I'm sure he won't. He gets a lot of hate and I'm not sure why. Sure, he's not perfect, but he just turned 23 and has now eaten big minutes on a top defensive team in the East for the last two years. He'd be a big upgrade to our defense.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
I'm a bit surprised that the second wave of signings hasn't begun.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I would absolutely take MDZ if he came cheap, but I'm sure he won't. He gets a lot of hate and I'm not sure why. Sure, he's not perfect, but he just turned 23 and has now eaten big minutes on a top defensive team in the East for the last two years. He'd be a big upgrade to our defense.
Well I didn't mean super cheap, but if we could keep our core players together and add him for Wilson, picks and prospects, I'd be all over it.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Dutchy09*

Avs European FanClub ‏@Eurolanche 6m
Patrick Roy said that #Avs are not going to sign more free agents. How do you like current roster?

Looks like no UFA's this summer.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy09 View Post
Avs European FanClub ‏@Eurolanche 6m
Patrick Roy said that #Avs are not going to sign more free agents. How do you like current roster?

Looks like no UFA's this summer.
well then, looks like Bigras might actually make the team.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:11 PM
cgf

Not too surprised. I think the only thing I can see us doing, is tacking some picks and prospects onto Wilson to get a more reliable upgrade.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1472
But Roy didn't say he won't make trades for players, did he?

Old
07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
well then, looks like Bigras might actually make the team.
I highly doubt that, despite what Roy said. Elliott is ahead of him.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
I highly doubt that, despite what Roy said. Elliott is ahead of him.
Johnson-Wilson
Hejda-Barrie
Elliot-?

2 spots left open for a 6th and 7th D man.

Sarich,Benoit & Guenin are all passable. i suppose i should count Hunwick... but i won't.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Johnson-Wilson
Hejda-Barrie
Elliot-?

2 spots left open for a 6th and 7th D man.

Sarich,Benoit & Guenin are all passable. i suppose i should count Hunwick... but i won't.
Yep, them and Hunwick. Also add Siemens.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Yep, them and Hunwick. Also add Siemens.
i'm hesitant to add Siemens. i'm a big fan of his but i just don't think he'd play much right now. further into the season(say after the AS break) i think he would be in line for 3rd pairing and potentially some 2nd pairing minutes. right now i think he'd be a healthy scratch potentially due to him being more of a shut down type than a puck moving scorer.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Avs have added probably $5M-6M in salary compared to last year. Expecting them to continue spending would be optimistic, especially considering all the players that are going to get raises next summer.

I don't have a huge problem with the defense we have. Avs have an ok top four and Sarich/Hunwick/Benoit and possibly Elliott can play 15 minutes a night. It won't be a smooth ride, but it should be smoother than last season was.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:28 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Avs have added probably $5M-6M in salary compared to last year. Expecting them to continue spending would be optimistic, especially considering all the players that are going to get raises next summer.

I don't have a huge problem with the defense we have. Avs have an ok top four and Sarich/Hunwick/Benoit and possibly Elliott can play 15 minutes a night. It won't be a smooth ride, but it should be smoother than last season was.
so long as Roy doesn't use that dump and chase nonsense i think we're good.
coaching will play a huge role in the improvement of this team.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
i'm hesitant to add Siemens. i'm a big fan of his but i just don't think he'd play much right now. further into the season(say after the AS break) i think he would be in line for 3rd pairing and potentially some 2nd pairing minutes. right now i think he'd be a healthy scratch potentially due to him being more of a shut down type than a puck moving scorer.
He is certainly much more NHL ready than Bigras at this point. Don't fall into the shiny new toy syndrome.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
An OK Top 4 for what?

This defense is going to be a problem next season. And if they have a semi-significant injury, a potentially nasty problem.

I suppose Sakic/Roy really couldn't fix every problem a last-place team has in a single month, but perhaps they believe what a lot of people in here believe - that there is much better blue line talent on this team than was shown last season, and Roy's going to bring it out. I hope it's so.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:35 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Just playing a more puck possession style will help the defense more than Sacco's dump and chase crap.

Detroit had a sub-par defense on paper this last year and got by alright because of a puck possession sustem. Roy probably has that in mind.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:36 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
An OK Top 4 for what?

This defense is going to be a problem next season. And if they have a semi-significant injury, a potentially nasty problem.

I suppose Sakic/Roy really couldn't fix every problem a last-place team has in a single month, but perhaps they believe what a lot of people in here believe - that there is much better blue line talent on this team than was shown last season, and Roy's going to bring it out. I hope it's so.
Well, you can't really give a pass to players like Stastny for playing like crap for Sacco but write off the group of defenders. If your really believe Stastny was screwed up by Sacco, then you also need to believe that is the same with Johnson and Wilson.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
An OK Top 4 for what?

We'll see.

I think you are way too down on Avs after a shortened season. With a significantly worse team the year before they were right in the playoff hunt with a handful of games to go.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Just playing a more puck possession style will help the defense more than Sacco's dump and chase crap.

Detroit had a sub-par defense on paper this last year and got by alright because of a puck possession sustem. Roy probably has that in mind.
I really hope that Roy is that great of a coach, because with this group we'll need a very good coach, and that Elliott really improves from last year.

Right now, our top pair is Wilson and Johnson, and we can expect Wilson to miss around 20 games. That means that either Hunwick, Benoit or Elliott will be on the top pair eventually.

Closed Thread