HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Magical Mystery UFA Tour (feat. Jaromir Jagr)

Old
07-09-2013, 11:23 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankClerval View Post
Meh. The more I think about this argument, the less I buy it.

Because here's the thing: Jagr is precisely the kind of player a team *would* pick up at the deadline: a temporary hired gun to help with the playoff push, with veteran savvy and leadership. So why not get that benefit for the whole year, if we can get it?

Sure, it means that we're not going to be able to pick up specifically defensive help if we need it -- but I'm ok with that. I tend to think defensive pieces added at the deadline are less useful (unless you're getting Ray Bourque).
Because our area of greatest need, by far, is on defense. Spending up to the cap in July puts us in a position where we will have to make some ugly, painful moves down the road if we want to make even a marginal upgrade on defense.

I'd be as excited as the next guy to land Jagr, but in terms of making the Carolina Hurricanes a competitive team for the foreseeable future, I don't think it makes sense to spend our remaining cap room on this player.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:26 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Jagr could be signed to a contract with bonuses and the bonuses would be deferred to next season if they put the team over the cap.

Signing Jagr to, say, a $1M base salary with a $2M bonus for playing 10 games means that his cap hit for this season is for all intents and purposes $1M.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Yep, if it's 3 mil+ base then JR is making a huge mistake. If it's say 1.5 base with bonuses that could push it into that 3.5 range, it's not a bad idea. I don't think that would make things difficult on us long term, and would still leave room for us to make necessary improvements during the season.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:29 AM
bluedevil58

Our 3rd line was never able to establish a forecheck last season. If we sign Jagr our 3rd line will now be able to sustain a forecheck. Merchandise and ticket sales because him of alone would make him worth signing. It's a sound business move. Time to pull the trigger. We need a big bodied veteran on our 3rd line.

bluedevil58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:30 AM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Because our area of greatest need, by far, is on defense. Spending up to the cap in July puts us in a position where we will have to make some ugly, painful moves down the road if we want to make even a marginal upgrade on defense.

I'd be as excited as the next guy to land Jagr, but in terms of making the Carolina Hurricanes a competitive team for the foreseeable future, I don't think it makes sense to spend our remaining cap room on this player.
If we want to make an upgrade on defense *this year*, this is perhaps true -- but I would argue that we have already made a "marginal upgrade on defense", and perhaps more than a marginal upgrade, especially considering that we replaced a poor backup goalie made the D look even worse.

But if we want to make an upgrade on defense "down the road", then a deadline deal is pretty much the worst time to do that. Yes, a Jagr deal would likely signify that this year's roster is settled -- but it wouldn't say anything about next year's.

--hank

(Also: in a pinch, I believe Jagr could be our #1 defenseman.)

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
bleedgreen

I'd prefer to spend this money on morrow. Gary Roberts 2.0 back in the day, he would be a great checker/role player who could step all the way to the first line in a pinch. Great leadership as well.

I like the idea of jagr and his work ethic and love for the game rubbing off on everyone, but I think morrow fits better. Both would be ideal of course.

I think any further upgrade on d this year involves a ruutu/skinner trade. Next year as well. Unless we let Pitts walk and sign someone else with his money.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:43 AM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Another Czech source, Google translated:

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/zpravy/nov...-i-jagr/959679

Emphasis mine:

"Freedom in an interview with the AP stated that his client is intensely interested in three clubs, their names but did not. According to TVA Sports is one of them Carolina, with whom Jagr on Friday and acted upon."

Seems like the translation is implying that Jagr and the Hurricanes had contact on Friday...? Perhaps this is just a Czech restatement of a different rumor. Did that rumor come from TVA initially?

--hank

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

I would be a little weary picking up Jagr after his long playoff run with Boston, especially at his age. We could have another Kaberle on our hands.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
I would be a little weary picking up Jagr after his long playoff run with Boston, especially at his age. We could have another Kaberle on our hands.
Jagr will be in his 60s before he's as out of shape as Kaberle was.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

I wouldn't be that worried about a cup hangover due to the short season last year.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
A Kaberle that is signed for only one year and could bring back a 2nd round pick+ at the deadline if he didn't work out.

This is a no-lose situation.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

I would like it.

Tlusty / Eric / Semin
Skinner / Jordan / Jagr
Rask / Lindholm / Ruutu
Sutter / Welsh / Bowman
Westgarth

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I'd prefer to spend this money on morrow. Gary Roberts 2.0 back in the day, he would be a great checker/role player who could step all the way to the first line in a pinch. Great leadership as well.

I like the idea of jagr and his work ethic and love for the game rubbing off on everyone, but I think morrow fits better. Both would be ideal of course.

I think any further upgrade on d this year involves a ruutu/skinner trade. Next year as well. Unless we let Pitts walk and sign someone else with his money.
I have to agree with this. As much as I was a HUGE Jagr fan as a kid, Morrow is what this team is missing right now, another physical top 9 forward. Right now we only have Ruutu for that, and even if we signed Jagr that would still be the case.

Jagr's an elite puck possession guy, but physical he is not.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

So Philly can sign Jagr and make space for him by trading Coburn to us.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Do it for lolz and for the leadership.

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2013/05...ns-game-2-win/

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post

The way I see it the Canes could either sign him now, or trade valuable assets at the deadline for him or someone who at best is equal in benefit. I'd take the former.
What valuable assets?

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

As much as this team needs Morrow there's close to zero chance of getting him here. He left Dallas to make a legit push for the cup and I doubt he would join a team with as many question marks as the Hurricanes.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
What valuable assets?
Beau Schmitz+Westgarth+7th

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Beau Schmitz+Westgarth+7th
In fairness, we did trade the 95th pick in the draft, plus a 6th this year, for Westgarth and the right to not pay Tony Stewart. In a draft this deep, that was a pretty bold mistake. Right in the wheelhouse to take a few fallers.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

He's 19 goals short of 700. It'd be fun if he did that here. Would only be the 7th player ever.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
What valuable assets?
1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks, Rask, and Biega... These are things I would not liked to see moved for a rental.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
dammit100

Sabres are not in on Jagr according to his agent
http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments...medium=twitter

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Now that I have had time to think about it, it really does seem the case that Jagr is just using us to get what he wants out of other teams.

The source doesn't say we're front runners. It says we're the offer to beat. Which implies to me that we have the best offer, and Jagr's agent is just running around trying to get that much money out of people.

Luckily, if Jagr is the mystery man, then JR isn't optimistic either. So I don't think we are wasting time on him. We asked Jagr on the date, and are now waiting for his response. No "Hi Sara, ugh, I was wondering, did you consider my offer to go to the movies on Friday."?

I'd like Jagr on the team. He used to be twice the diva that Skinner was, and by all accounts he has matured into a grown man. That's the kind of veteran I want around the young guys. Someone who has been around block. And Mike Komisarek, while a start, won't cut it.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
In fairness, we did trade the 95th pick in the draft, plus a 6th this year, for Westgarth and the right to not pay Tony Stewart. In a draft this deep, that was a pretty bold mistake. Right in the wheelhouse to take a few fallers.

... Probably fishing, in Ontario.