HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers/Hurricanes

Old
07-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Staal said he'll make a full recovery to play on the ice, but from his words said his right eye will never be 100%. Add that to his concussion injuries and he is pretty much damaged goods or pretty close to it. Jordan Staal stated Pittsburgh was his team, but family matters 1st IMO, especially to a close knit family like the Staal who reached out and gave the press info about Marc's recovery while the NY beat writers couldn't get anything. Jordan Staal quietly requested a trade to the Hurricanes to play alongside his brother.
Staal requested a trade out of Pitt because he was stuck behind Crosby and Malkin as forever the 3rd line center.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:43 PM
ThisYearsModel

vCash: 500
Marc doesn't like his brothers, especially Eric who cheapshotted him and concussed him. Mrs. Staal is still pissed at Eric about that. He likes playing for the Rangers, and the Rangers are delighted to have him. He is not going to Carolina, or anywhere else. He will be in NY for the next 6-10 years.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:59 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, except the brothers are on good terms with each other and Eric's hit wasn't a cheap shot.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

I'd be pissed at my brother if he concussed me and almost caused me to miss playing in the Winter Classic.

I'd be even more pissed since that would cause my HF value to drop through the floor.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:34 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Marc doesn't like his brothers, especially Eric who cheapshotted him and concussed him. Mrs. Staal is still pissed at Eric about that. He likes playing for the Rangers, and the Rangers are delighted to have him. He is not going to Carolina, or anywhere else. He will be in NY for the next 6-10 years.
lol yea because you know how Marc Staal feels about his brothers.

19NYSports91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
What about Staal + for Faulk +?
Not appealing and no real benefit from a Canes perspective.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Not appealing and no real benefit from a Canes perspective.
The benefit could be that Staal is an all-star shut down defenseman when healthy. And all accounts point to him being healthy come training camp. And Faulk has yet to prove anything on that level. For the record, I thought Faulk was shaky at the World Championships this spring; heard great things about him and then wasn't impressed. Marc stays in NY and that's the way Ranger fans want it.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
damicius

rangers

I expect much better performance of Rangers next season. Finally, after 15 years, there is not a significant changes in the team during summer.
Trades are not welcome. Lets try how the team will work when stay together for two consecutive seasons.

damicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
The benefit could be that Staal is an all-star shut down defenseman when healthy.
We already have too many defensemen that are "great when healthy".

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
The benefit could be that Staal is an all-star shut down defenseman when healthy. And all accounts point to him being healthy come training camp. And Faulk has yet to prove anything on that level. For the record, I thought Faulk was shaky at the World Championships this spring; heard great things about him and then wasn't impressed. Marc stays in NY and that's the way Ranger fans want it.
Faulk acquitted himself very well in a shutdown role as a 20 year-old and is only getting better. If you're basing your observation only on his WC outings, then you're arguing from a very limited sample.

His offensive game, though still improving, is already ahead of Staal's and he is a coveted RHD. His contract is better and his D game will be very close to Staal's in the not too distant future. Thus the trade makes little sense.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Frolic and DeTorts

This is stupid.

The Canes won't trade assets for a player that's health is in question.

The Rangers won't trade a potential #1-2 defenseman, one of the best shut down defenders in the league, at a point of possibly his lowest value.

If these two teams come to an agreement for Staal at some point, it will surely be at a point when his value is highest, and when Staal has proved he is healthy.

At that point, he will be worth WAY more than Tlusty a B prospect and a 3rd. Try Murphy/Faulk/1st.

Frolic and DeTorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolic and DeTorts View Post
This is stupid.
At that point, he will be worth WAY more than Tlusty a B prospect and a 3rd. Try Murphy/Faulk/1st.
L O L

Throw Rick Nash in and that might be close. Faulk alone might be worth more than Staal. Younger + Already Good + Huge Upside + Cheap + Healthy

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
L O L

Throw Rick Nash in and that might be close. Faulk alone might be worth more than Staal. Younger + Already Good + Huge Upside + Cheap + Healthy
Got heem

19NYSports91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I know Tlusty was great last season, but there is no way he would ever be the centerpiece coming back for Staal. A prospect and a 3rd doesn't change that in any way. 38 points in 48 games last season; prior to it his career high was 36 in 79 and he only has 112 career points. It would certainly seem like he's becoming a top-six player, but one short season is not enough to go on. The Rangers wouldn't touch this.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:47 AM
bleedgreen

Tlusty needs to be signed in the off season as well, the rangers finding space for that might be an issue as well. He's gonna get paid at least off this last year even if he tanks this coming year.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I hate this thread. And I hated it every other time it surfaced.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:00 PM
smoneil

Quote:
i dont see why the Canes would give up their 1rst line player, a solid D prospect and a pick for an injury prone dman with eye issues, especially when they'll just sign him next offseason when he is a FA due to leverage from his family.
I still think this is ridiculous logic. People keep overlooking the most important difference between Marc and his two NHL brothers. His brothers already have a Stanley Cup. Do I think it is important to Marc to play with his brothers? Sure. They seem like a really close family. I also think it is MORE important to Marc to get his name on that Cup. In two years, when he hits FA, if he doesn't already have his name on that Cup, you can bet he's going to sign with the team that will give him the best chance to do so. That might be the Canes. It might be the Rangers. It very well could be another team altogether.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Faulk acquitted himself very well in a shutdown role as a 20 year-old and is only getting better. If you're basing your observation only on his WC outings, then you're arguing from a very limited sample.

His offensive game, though still improving, is already ahead of Staal's and he is a coveted RHD. His contract is better and his D game will be very close to Staal's in the not too distant future. Thus the trade makes little sense.
If ya wanna argue that the POTENTIAL of Faulk is so high it is ballpark ACTUAL what Staal is worth, then adding totality of circumstances (cap hit, righty) Faulk is worth more, it is fair to have that discussion and see what if any adds to both sides can make for win win.

Let's remember:

Rangers only consider this to get cap space, and are thin on righty, and
Canes only consider this to add lefty, but mostly for $$$. Staal as a novelty of bros is worth some extra $$$.

So may be this is not the best deal.
Maybe it is worth doing.

Let's review with an open mind and see if there are possibilities to be exhausted.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
bleedgreen

I always thought the brothers angle was way overplayed. Rutherford loves the staals and will do anything to get them all, I've never been convinced the brothers had that big an itch to play together. Sounds like Eric gave Jordan a nudge to get him on board, but I doubt Marc is aching to move to Carolina. They probably all enjoy creating their own identities away from each other. Sound like Eric and Jordan are very close as well, like best buds close. I don't know that Marc is that joined at the hip as jordan, but I'm obviously not a staal family member so who knows. I'm just not convinced when Marc goes fa that he's gonna run our way and for a fair price. I think his not being 100% may make him easier to pry from the rangers, but again who know?

I think he'll have great value to the canes even at 80%. He's a strong stay at home d, we need that. I think it's weird to have all four brothers, kinda sideshow gimmicky. I'd rather find someone else.

Faulk for staal just isn't paying attention to reality. We need more Faulk, and that's why we like mstaal.trading one out for the other just creates the same situation we already have. It doesn't help us any. Collecting a staal doesn't justify it.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Skinner for staal and Boyle. Rangers get more offense, still have a great defense, add very minimal salary if any, still have good depth and a top notch defense. I can see reasons for and against this though. As far as Car, they get a shut down dman
The Skinner / McBain for Staal/Boyle was always a great trade that both sides would do.

Skinner for Staal / Boyle would be fine still to me.

Tlusty / Eric / Semin
???? / Jordan / Ruutu
???? / Boyle / Lindholm
Sutter / Welsh / ????
Westgarth
Faulk / Marc
Joni / Sekera
Harrison / Gleason
Komisarek

Ward
Anton

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Staal said he'll make a full recovery to play on the ice, but from his words said his right eye will never be 100%. Add that to his concussion injuries and he is pretty much damaged goods or pretty close to it. Jordan Staal stated Pittsburgh was his team, but family matters 1st IMO, especially to a close knit family like the Staal who reached out and gave the press info about Marc's recovery while the NY beat writers couldn't get anything. Jordan Staal quietly requested a trade to the Hurricanes to play alongside his brother.
Hence why near full is bolded. Ill gladly eat crow if Staal bolts to CAR during FA. I wouldn't rule out a trade. Just not for a Tlusty who can easily be on the infinitely long list of 1 year wonders. When he repeats that performance, then maybe a deal can be had around him.

07-09-2013, 01:40 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If ya wanna argue that the POTENTIAL of Faulk is so high it is ballpark ACTUAL what Staal is worth, then adding totality of circumstances (cap hit, righty) Faulk is worth more, it is fair to have that discussion and see what if any adds to both sides can make for win win.

Let's remember:

Rangers only consider this to get cap space, and are thin on righty, and
Canes only consider this to add lefty, but mostly for $$$. Staal as a novelty of bros is worth some extra $$$.

So may be this is not the best deal.
Maybe it is worth doing.

Let's review with an open mind and see if there are possibilities to be exhausted.
No, it's not the best deal and the whole Staal brother novelty argument is silly. Jordan's arrival barely was a ripple for a team that's much more focused on getting back to the playoffs vs. getting the band of brothers back together.

Faulk is not far off from Staal in overall on-ice performance. Add in the injury question and the fact that Staal's addition adds $3M to the cap hit, and there's really nothing to talk about. Really.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Faulk is not far off from Staal in overall on-ice performance.
I'm convinced you haven't watched enough of Marc over the years with nonsense like this. When Faulk has consistently shut down the league's elite for years, then you can confidently post this.

As of right now, I view you as just another homer who posts his opinions and tries to pawn them off as facts.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I always thought the brothers angle was way overplayed. Rutherford loves the staals and will do anything to get them all, I've never been convinced the brothers had that big an itch to play together. Sounds like Eric gave Jordan a nudge to get him on board, but I doubt Marc is aching to move to Carolina. They probably all enjoy creating their own identities away from each other. Sound like Eric and Jordan are very close as well, like best buds close. I don't know that Marc is that joined at the hip as jordan, but I'm obviously not a staal family member so who knows. I'm just not convinced when Marc goes fa that he's gonna run our way and for a fair price. I think his not being 100% may make him easier to pry from the rangers, but again who know?

I think he'll have great value to the canes even at 80%. He's a strong stay at home d, we need that. I think it's weird to have all four brothers, kinda sideshow gimmicky. I'd rather find someone else.

Faulk for staal just isn't paying attention to reality. We need more Faulk, and that's why we like mstaal.trading one out for the other just creates the same situation we already have. It doesn't help us any. Collecting a staal doesn't justify it.

Bold: never said 1 for 1. I said Staal + for Faulk +.
Could be Staal + Girardi + X for Faulk + Y
Girardi = RD replaces RD lost, so you gain a premo D.

Of course, that said, in the above equation X is minimal for balance and Y is substantial.
I think there is a deal to be made; I just can't pour over both rosters and fine tune a close to exact win win match, but I think there is a combo that works.

underline:
You would get a jolt on added merchandising, buzz factor, etc.
The cap hit in this case is you get what you pay for. If they were = # of years, then maybe much much closer salary. I'm not saying you cripple your club to make it happen, but I believe whether it was Alou/Dimaggio bros in baseball, or other examples, you'd get some increased $$$ for 3-5 yrs.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:32 PM
WWAD

HF should sticky a "M. Staal to Carolina for XYZ" thread so we don't get a new one every other day for the next two years.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote