HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Gagner would be giving up three UFA years if he signed a 4 year deal.

Next season is Gagner's last RFA season.

Because he's been playing since 18, his RFA status will end based on playing 7 years pro rather than hitting 27.
Thanks for the correction.
This is likely the stumbling block then. That being how many years of UFA Gagner is willing to give up.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

vCash: 500
Any idea when a deal might be completed? They are normally completed before the start of training camp but it can go into the regular season right? I think Doughty did that last year right?

Old
07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
OilerFan4Life

Samuel going to arbitration wouldn't be the worst thing but having Devan and Samuel as UFA's next summer is going to be tough IF they continue to take the next step.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Sounds like he's threatening arbitration... again. ugh.

Who's Gagners agent?

Old
07-09-2013, 03:52 PM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Samuel going to arbitration wouldn't be the worst thing but having Devan and Samuel as UFA's next summer is going to be tough IF they continue to take the next step.
Pierre McGuire, is that you?

Old
07-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Any idea when a deal might be completed? They are normally completed before the start of training camp but it can go into the regular season right? I think Doughty did that last year right?
Doughty was a hold out, different story.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Sounds like he's threatening arbitration... again. ugh.

Who's Gagners agent?
Would that prevent some other team from signing him to an offer sheet?

Old
07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
edited

Last edited by AlowlyOilersfan: 07-09-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: shame
Old
07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
We gave him a Qualifying Offer already

that prevented anyone from offer-sheeting him.
No it doesn't. It only prevents him from becoming a UFA.

07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Moneypuck

If someone does offer sheet Gagner. Edmonton would have something other teams may need.

It could help land help for the roster this fall. With teams looking for assets that won't add cap pressure. Two firsts,seconds and thirds, or versions thereof, it could help land you more than one roster player for this falls roster.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Hemsky4PM

I like a 6 year deal that follows this framework:

Year 1: 4M, based on final RFA year
Year 2-3: 4.2M, Bozak dollars full NMC
Year 4-5: 4.9M, Weiss dollars and LNTC (player submits 10 team list he would accept)
Year 6: 5.25M, for agreeing to the LNTC

Cap hit is approx 4.7M, livable for the Oilers for a top 6 forward.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I wonder if MacT's plan was to move him but now that he's struck out, fumbled, double dribbled, triple bogied, etc. this offseason if he's going to basically bend over and give in to Gagner's demands? This offseason keeps getting uglier and uglier, now we just need to see Gagner with a $5+ million 7 year deal to put the **** cherry on the **** sundae.

07-09-2013, 11:09 PM
pcanuck

I wonder if this might be a sign and trade scenario... Its been a while now.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:28 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I wonder if MacT's plan was to move him but now that he's struck out, fumbled, double dribbled, triple bogied, etc. this offseason if he's going to basically bend over and give in to Gagner's demands? This offseason keeps getting uglier and uglier, now we just need to see Gagner with a $5+ million 7 year deal to put the **** cherry on the **** sundae.
Would it really be the end of the world if the Oilers kept this guy and paid him 500K too much? Gagner played really well last season, gets along great with the other young guys, and contrary to the belief that he will never ever be decent on the draw or defensively, he's already had a season where he was 47.6% on the draw and led the team in +/-.

I agree it's looking like Gagner has the team in a bad spot and will use it to make sure he's paid what he likes and can veto any move, at least until his girlfriend finishes her program. I just think there are worse situations that can happen than being forced to hold onto a kid on pace to flirt with a 1000p career.

I just hope it doesn't go to arbitration. Those meetings can sometimes cause problems between a team and player down the road.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Mr Sakich

If Gagner opts for arbitration, the window opens for another compliance buyout. Maybe the oilers are contemplating buying it eager or Smyth.

I don't think Gagner has to go to the actual arbitration meeting, they can settle as soon as he declares his intent to go to arbitration. The declaration opens the compliance buyout window

Old
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

so, something is going to happen tomorrow? He's either going to arbitration or getting a deal?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
If Gagner opts for arbitration, the window opens for another compliance buyout. Maybe the oilers are contemplating buying it eager or Smyth.

I don't think Gagner has to go to the actual arbitration meeting, they can settle as soon as he declares his intent to go to arbitration. The declaration opens the compliance buyout window
The team is 12 million under the cap. Why would they bother wasting a buyout on Eager or Smyth? You could just send them to the minors and eat some cap space for the rest of the season if you were desperate to get rid of them.

To be honest, I can't believe they even used a compliance buyout on Belanger. You only get two, and we used one on Belanger to save waht... 600k on the cap for the next 2 seasons? Seriously...

Old
07-09-2013, 11:39 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The team is 12 million under the cap. Why would they bother wasting a buyout on Eager or Smyth? You could just send them to the minors and eat some cap space for the rest of the season if you were desperate to get rid of them.

To be honest, I can't believe they even used a compliance buyout on Belanger. You only get two, and we used one on Belanger to save waht... 600k on the cap for the next 2 seasons? Seriously...
I think it's more about him being a useless piece of junk that badmouths the Oilers whenever he speaks to the french media.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:42 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
I think it's more about him being a useless piece of junk that badmouths the Oilers whenever he speaks to the french media.
They could've just used a normal buyout instead though. It is pretty wasteful but they must not feel like they'll need them very badly if they're throwing them away on cheap players like Belanger.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Spawn

Quote:
I meant, why bother using a compliance buyout when you could have just used a regular buy out. Save the compliance buyouts for next year if there is a team that wants to unload a player for assets.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:45 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:

That was the bold/wow move we've all been waiting for.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

A lot of the times deals get done right before arbitration , don't see why people are worried about this.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm pretty sure the plan was to sign him all along, he said as much in his first post season press conference. Just because you don't see value in the player doesn't mean MacT doesn't.

If negotiations get really ugly I think dealing him becomes a possibility. Arbitration isn't really ugly, lots of contracts get signed between a player announcing he's going to arbitration and the actual arbitration date.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:50 AM
jadeddog

Quote:

yeah it seems weird that we used a compliance buyout on belanger when you only look at what we saved... the issue was that we didn't really have any other bad contracts.... we were able to trade horcoffs and no other contract is bad enough to warrant a compliance buyout... belanger's was the only worth using it on... if you can use it to save some money, and don't have any other place to use it, why not? if you don't use them by next offseason, they are gone

Old
07-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Inf123

vCash: 544
Quote:
what did he say to the french media?

Closed Thread