HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[TOR] Mikhail Grabovski

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
Bozak's cap hit is manageable and he's going to be an important chip in keeping Kessel here.

Grabo regressed and seems to have a bad attitude. There's a reason why he hasn't been snapped up quickly yet on the free market.
Wasn't his wedding the day after he got bought out?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

he's on his honeymoon, not expecting him to sign this week.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidnus13 View Post
and maybe stop being a selfish greedy player
Grabs has more assists thru the years than Bozak who gets to feed Kessel and Lupul.

Old
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Oh ok...hey everybody, take this guys word!
Lol don't bother, I've tried explaining, wasted too much time doing so. There's always one bitter fan who is on a crusade to try to discredit a player. They don't believe/understand gamblers fallacy, think they know beyond publicly available information.

Old
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
he's on his honeymoon, not expecting him to sign this week.
Where is he honeymooning?

Old
do0glas

sometimes you can be a great player and still be a cancer to your team.

in a similar way its why a good backup usually ends up being traded or let walk in UFA. not that they are a cancer, but too good to be backup without the room to move up in the roster.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
I love how desperate some Leaf fans are to defend this buyout. I mean, it's done, they chose Bozak, but don't try to act like somehow you kept the better player. Tyler Dellow said it simply and best: everybody does better at everything with Grabovski than they do with Bozak.
Unfortunately, Kessel and Lupul did not play better with Grabovski than they did with Bozak. Been there, done that, tried it... didn't work. Not that I'm thrilled with five more years of Bozak, I'm not... but Grabovski is a 2nd line C, and Kadri is better at that now.

Grabs was unhappy with his role, that much is obvious, and while I know we won't get the same production out of Bolland, he is cheaper, and fits better in a top six, bottom six scheme, if that is what you want to do. How it all works out... we'll see. Had we kept Grabs in that role, it should be clear that it would have become a locker room issue at some point as well. He's a good player, but he just didn't fit the plan any more.

Keep in mind that the Leafs didn't have any issues scoring last year, and removing Grabs isn't really going to change that, it's being harder to play against, and being better defensively that counts.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Stephen

Quote:
I love how desperate some Leaf fans are to defend this buyout. I mean, it's done, they chose Bozak, but don't try to act like somehow you kept the better player. Tyler Dellow said it simply and best: everybody does better at everything with Grabovski than they do with Bozak.

If my team had the space for him and he'd sign here for $4M AAV for under 5 years I'd do it no questions asked. If I was a team that actually NEEDED at top 6 centre I'd pay him 4.5 for 4 years, and happily.
If you actually spent the year watching how terrible Grabovski was, like gingerly circling around the Rangers net in OT only to drop pass it to the point when he had the slot open, how his one special move was getting crumbled into the boards, or how his linemates were always ineffective when he was centering, you'd probably come away with other conclusions.

It's not a Bozak vs Grabovski issue. Bozak isn't a number one center, and I wish we had one, but he's just the complimentary piece on a line that runs through Kessel. If you haven't noticed, Kessel is the primary forward who starts the rush or is the main puck carrier on that line, and he assumes the bulk of the centerman's offensive duties on that line. In the end, Grabovski lost his job to Nazem Kadri, who found chemistry and produced with everyone he played with, as opposed to Grabovski, who looked flashy but had no chemistry with anyone.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Bozak's cap hit is manageable and he's going to be an important chip in keeping Kessel here.

Grabo regressed and seems to have a bad attitude. There's a reason why he hasn't been snapped up quickly yet on the free market.
And so begins the character assination to make this deal seem ok.

This is absolute bull. Grabo was one of the hardest working players on the team. He never once complained about the position and role he was given on the team.

The only time he let go was AFTER he was released, which you know is legit.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:

If my team had the space for him and he'd sign here for $4M AAV for under 5 years I'd do it no questions asked. If I was a team that actually NEEDED at top 6 centre I'd pay him 4.5 for 4 years, and happily.
Individually, no question that Grabovski is more skilled than Bozak. But when you consider contract, team needs, etc... the smarter move was to keep Bozak. Bozak saves the Leafs $1.3M, is better suited to play with Kessel (Grabovski is a shoot-first player), can play top-six or bottom-six, is the best faceoff taker on the Leafs, and is Kessel's best friend (this should not be understated, especially for a shy guy like Kessel).

It's unfortunate, and I like Grabovski a lot. I have no doubt he'll bounce back given a top-six role and a chance to produce offensively; Carlyle played him in a shutdown role all season). When he plays a full season in the top-six, he's good for 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
nah, its unlikely
You think it's likely one team bid but unlikely more than one?

I see.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
Id take common sense over internet tough guy any day, but thats just me
So do you agree that common sense says that a guy on his honeymoon for a week, might not be dealing with life changing decisions while on that vacation. That's common sense.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
And so begins the character assination to make this deal seem ok.

This is absolute bull. Grabo was one of the hardest working players on the team. He never once complained about the position and role he was given on the team.

The only time he let go was AFTER he was released, which you know is legit.
I have never heard a player go on a tirade like that after being let go or traded from an organization.

He's completely unprofessional and wouldn't want a guy like that on my team.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Honestly I don't know where a borderline playoff team like TO gets off buying out a good player like Grabovski.
last I checked, they lost McArthur, Grabs and Frattin for the forwards...and gained Clarkson. Doesn't seem like much gain there. A healthy Lupul will do wonders though.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Bottom line.... Grabo was bought out to make room for Clarkson.

Would anyone here take Grabo on their team over Clarkson? I think not...

Bozak
Kadri
Bolland
Colborne/McClement

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than

Kadri
Grabo
Bolland
McClement/Colborne

Old
07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
last I checked, they lost McArthur, Grabs and Frattin for the forwards...and gained Clarkson. Doesn't seem like much gain there. A healthy Lupul will do wonders though.
*Clarkson and Bolland

Old
07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
I have never heard a player go on a tirade like that after being let go or traded from an organization.

He's completely unprofessional and wouldn't want a guy like that on my team.
I would snap him up in a heart beat. The guy , while ranting, continuously professed his love for Toronto. He loves it in Toronto as it has given him so much.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Check again, we got Bolland as well.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
ARSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Unfortunately, Kessel and Lupul did not play better with Grabovski than they did with Bozak.
This is demonstrably untrue. Well, you can't tell with Lupul - he didn't play enough with Grabovski.

Technically Kessel WAS better with Grabovski. By a lot. There just wasn't much sample size. He's not alone - everyone was better with Grabovski. Literally everyone. Consequently it's probably a fair bet that Lupul would be, too.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
vanwest

I would have let Bozak walk and kept Grabovski. Watching the Leafs this year and especially the Bruins series the guy just plays with such determination. He's a demon on the backcheck which is what Toronto really needs. His offensive play definitely went down and he wasn't worth his contract but these type of two way players are seldom appreciated until they are gone.
I'd take him over the Bolland of last year by a decent margin.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
frankthetank91

HFBoards:

Leafs sign player: HAHAHA OVERPAYMENT DAVE LOLNIS WOWW WHAT A TERRIBLE CONTRACT

Leafs buyout player: HAHAHA HE WILL STRIVE ON ANOTHER TEAM SHOULDN'T OF BOUGHT HIM OUT

Old
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
This is demonstrably untrue. Well, you can't tell with Lupul - he didn't play enough with Grabovski.

Technically Kessel WAS better with Grabovski. By a lot. There just wasn't much sample size. He's not alone - everyone was better with Grabovski. Literally everyone. Consequently it's probably a fair bet that Lupul would be, too.

Advance stats from two years ago? Sorry, I've actually watched the games, and understand how the team works together. Some of this advanced stats stuff is pure BS. Jeez, if only the Coaching staff knew about these stats, they would have done something different.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
HFBoards:

Leafs buyout player: HAHAHA HE WILL STRIVE ON ANOTHER TEAM SHOULDN'T OF BOUGHT HIM OUT
To be fair, they did overpay/give to many years to Clarkson and I am surprised that they couldn't find a trade partner for Grabovski (though I am sure they tried). I don't think they have a bad off-season though, they are likely about as good on paper as they were last year, not much better or worse imo.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:40 PM
harrisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
HFBoards:

Actually just if comparing the Clarkson contract (about 3 years too long) and the decision to buyout Grabo which was/is a head scratcher. Not a leaf fan but see a good amount of their games and Grabo over Bozak for 1.3m difference would not have taken much thought for me.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Bottom line.... Grabo was bought out to make room for Clarkson.

Would anyone here take Grabo on their team over Clarkson? I think not...

Bozak
Kadri
Bolland
Colborne/McClement

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than

Kadri
Grabo
Bolland
McClement/Colborne
I would.

Closed Thread