HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDevilBoiX View Post
Exactly, that is our problem there!! No patience in developing these players, he was thrust into the fire from all the injuries the Flyers suffer. Yes he looks out of place at times but he did handle himself fine as he got more playing time. I would send him back to the Phantoms for 2-3 more years to let him continue to develope. You guys have to remember defenseman takes longer to develop then forwards.

We just drafted a project in Morin who's just as big as Lauridsen, only difference is Morin can skate and has some skill. Morin is just as raw as Lauridsen. Would be nice if we can finally develope these guys into serviceable defenseman. Imagine on every pairing we have a big guy playing physical and mean infront of the net. No opponent will want to crash our net then, would be a dream come true.
Down the road then...what are you hoping for?

Hagg - Schenn
Gustafsson - (Coburn)
Gostisbehere - Morin
Lauridsen

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Exactly, that is our problem there!! No patience in developing these players, he was thrust into the fire from all the injuries the Flyers suffer. Yes he looks out of place at times but he did handle himself fine as he got more playing time. I would send him back to the Phantoms for 2-3 more years to let him continue to develope. You guys have to remember defenseman takes longer to develop then forwards.

We just drafted a project in Morin who's just as big as Lauridsen, only difference is Morin can skate and has some skill. Morin is just as raw as Lauridsen. Would be nice if we can finally develope these guys into serviceable defenseman. Imagine on every pairing we have a big guy playing physical and mean infront of the net. No opponent will want to crash our net then, would be a dream come true.
I really liked the way Lauridsen played as Luke's partner. They were really solid, kept the puck out and got it out. He still needs some work, but the slagging he gets on here is just ignorant. He is a real competitor. I think he has a future in the NHL, likely as our 7th D next year and more regular duty after that, or else used in trade. The kid is making strides, another full year in the AHL will help.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I don't think he's ready for regular NHL duties yet. I imagine he's the first callup though.

07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I really liked the way Lauridsen played as Luke's partner. They were really solid, kept the puck out and got it out. He still needs some work, but the slagging he gets on here is just ignorant. He is a real competitor. I think he has a future in the NHL, likely as our 7th D next year and more regular duty after that, or else used in trade. The kid is making strides, another full year in the AHL will help.
If you're thinking of developing him beyond his current self, you don't throw him into a #7 role.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I will say, it's a weird feeling. We have 8 signed D-men (ones that can play) with all one-way contracts and can technically play at least in the bottom pairing. If Laughton is playing, we have no room for Gagne or any other young player, really. So for the first time in a long time, we are stacked in forwards and defense.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think he's ready for regular NHL duties yet. I imagine he's the first callup though.
I want to see more of Bourdon and Manning in camp before we make that distinction.

I think Manning has better overall potential than Lauridsen and was the first call-up the year before. Upon being recalled this past season, I think he performed better overall than Lauridsen despite regressive play in the AHL.

Bourdon may be post-injury, but I also think he's got some potential to make up for lost time here. Before his concussions, he was certainly an NHLer.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Gus signs for 1yr/1m one way deal.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18985
Hope that means he gets playing time and we have a better idea what he's worth next July. Similar to mason and emery.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
XDevilBoiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post

Hagg - Schenn
Gustafsson - (Coburn)
Gostisbehere - Morin
Lauridsen
Coburn might be gone so replace him with Morin and slide Lauridsen into the 3rd pairing.

Hagg - Schenn or Morin
Gustafsson - Morin or Schenn
Ghost - Lauridsen
Bourdon.

XDevilBoiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Hagg - Schenn
Gustafsson - (Coburn)
Gostisbehere - Morin
Lauridsen
Man when people see this kind of stuff they freak haha. A disclaimer for you for others to see. "THIS IS ASSUMING THE PROSPECTS CONTINUE TO IMPROVE AND BECOME LEGIT NHLERS"

Im not gonna guess cause lets me honest. Coburn or Schenn or both might be gone or traded. They could trade Ghost, Morin or Haag as part of a package for a better defender.

That being said, I do like the look of it. Gostisbehere - Morin could be a great pairing. Big shutdown defender with a smaller agile defender with offensive game. You got Haag bring the calmness to the top 4, and one or two other vets that have been there for awhile.

Honestly, out of the 3 prospect defenders, Im starting to think Haag makes it to the NHL first.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Coburn might be gone so replace him with Morin and slide Lauridsen into the 3rd pairing.

Hagg - Schenn or Morin
Gustafsson - Morin or Schenn
Ghost - Lauridsen
Bourdon.
Not comfortable with that. Coburn is at least a respectable veteran in a lineup of kids all under 25. I mean, they won't be in 4 years when Streit is gone, but that lineup is still...

Hagg (22) - Schenn (27)
Gustafsson (28) - Morin (22)
Gostisbehere (24) - Lauridsen (28)

A 32-year-old veteran and locker room leader (he's on the list for the "A"), having been in Philadelphia all of this time, would do a lot more to cement the lineup than Lauridsen even if Lauridsen is four years younger.

Not sold on Lauridsen having a future as an NHLer with the Flyers even if he has a future in the NHL. You also have to believe that guys like Manning and Willcox and Bourdon and future draft picks are going to want a shot at that spot as well.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Man when people see this kind of stuff they freak haha. A disclaimer for you for others to see. "THIS IS ASSUMING THE PROSPECTS CONTINUE TO IMPROVE AND BECOME LEGIT NHLERS"

Im not gonna guess cause lets me honest. Coburn or Schenn or both might be gone or traded. They could trade Ghost, Morin or Haag as part of a package for a better defender.

That being said, I do like the look of it. Gostisbehere - Morin could be a great pairing. Big shutdown defender with a smaller agile defender with offensive game. You got Haag bring the calmness to the top 4, and one or two other vets that have been there for awhile.

Honestly, out of the 3 prospect defenders, Im starting to think Haag makes it to the NHL first.
What I don't like the most is that people are calling Lauridsen, now at 24, a potential Coburn replacement down the road.

Lauridsen will never be as good as Coburn is now, and in four years, he's likely not going to be as good as Coburn is then.

Plus, progression expected as is, Coburn will possibly be our only defenseman above 28 with 5/6 of our defense in the 22-28 range. That's a YOUNG defense even if people don't realize it.

Coburn solidifies the back-end and gives us a steady veteran.

As for Schenn possibly getting traded, I don't buy that for a second.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Not comfortable with that. Coburn is at least a respectable veteran in a lineup of kids all under 25. I mean, they won't be in 4 years when Streit is gone, but that lineup is still...

Hagg (22) - Schenn (27)

A 32-year-old veteran and locker room leader (he's on the list for the "A"), having been in Philadelphia all of this time, would do a lot more to cement the lineup than Lauridsen even if Lauridsen is four years younger.

Not sold on Lauridsen having a future as an NHLer with the Flyers even if he has a future in the NHL. You also have to believe that guys like Manning and Willcox and Bourdon and future draft picks are going to want a shot at that spot as well.
Yeah I agree with you on this. Having that much youth looks great on paper, but you are gonna want at least one seasoned vet in that lineup. it may not necessarily be Coburn, but I'd be suprised if Lauridsen ever makes this team as a consistent NHL player, especially if guys like Coburn (or other players of that ilk) are around.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
What I don't like the most is that people are calling Lauridsen, now at 24, a potential Coburn replacement down the road.

Lauridsen will never be as good as Coburn is now, and in four years, he's likely not going to be as good as Coburn is then.

Plus, progression expected as is, Coburn will possibly be our only defenseman above 28 with 5/6 of our defense in the 22-28 range. That's a YOUNG defense even if people don't realize it.

Coburn solidifies the back-end and gives us a steady veteran.

As for Schenn possibly getting traded, I don't buy that for a second.
Side note: Just found out that is you Chris.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:55 PM
XDevilBoiX

Quote:

Hagg (22) - Schenn (27)

Well Coburn or Mez might get traded before the season starts. I get what you saying that the defense is young and we might have a older vet in there somewhere. Also one of them might be traded, the Flyers have yet shown the patience to develop defensemans. If Homer is still here, we will have 2 35 year old dman in that group.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:

Was wondering where he's been.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

CS is Chris Shafer? I didn't realize it either. The other day I was like who is this CS guy who's been around since 09 and has so many posts?

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Mason playing out of his mind was more of a reason why he looked good. He was still facing upwards to 40+ shots during the final stretch. He made Lauridsen & the rest of the defense look better not the other way around.
I noticed the defense finally were able to keep shooters to the outside, not much around the crease action potting in rebounds.

To answer some other points people brought up:
Yes I like Manning too, he seems to play better while up, but fact is in the AHL Lauridsen was solidifying the defense on a team that let up a lot of goals, how does he manage such a huge disparity in Plus Minus then the rest of the defenders and players on the team had embarrassing minus ratings?
Using some of these penalties and turnover arguments against Lauridsen is misleading because his 2-3 major incidences where isolated in the first 2 games to 3 shifts while he was getting acclimated with his teammates and surroundings, plus he bounced back and made up for those errors very well. He eventually got comfortable and played very well in the rest of the games, even in areas we did not expect him to (offensive).
It would be more constructive to ask the staff to hire skating trainer/coaches for Lauridsen instead of *****ing about his flaws, work on doing something about them to make him more complete.
Coffey helped Therien to skate faster and better, it can be done with the right trainer and methods. To often Flyer fans would rather devalue their players and harp on them instead of grooming them to be the best they can be.
I guess it's just me, I come from an ideology that life is all about being complete and whole and the best we can be, progressing in stages to become what we should and could be, and that is our purpose and essence we need to reflect and manifest in ALL aspects of life. We have in this world those who want to trash and decay our being and those who want to nurture and progress and improve our being, 2 natures we get to choose, thus what kind of life we live or world we have depends on those choices.
Choose to help your team and players not trash them, just as you'd want to choose to help your humanity and planet and not trash that.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:56 PM
3Fs

Just my two cents on Lauridsen.

When I first saw him, I was like wow hes a pretty big dude. I said I hope he learns how to clear the front of the net, because I was not seeing much of it. At the end of season I saw him having an attitude and I was saying freakin bout time I seen some of this. I was really impressed with what I was seeing in this rookie. I didn't spend the time to find out much about him.

Just a little bit ago, I looked him up. He was a freakin 7 round pick. Holy Christ what are we beaching about? If he continues to improve, we could have the steal of the draft. How many non drafted players hit it big. So a 7th rounder could have a chance. I say give it time and if when he is say 26-27 he turns into a stud if not sooner. Its a wonderful pick for the 7th round. Just IMO or my 2 cents, however you like =)

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
I noticed the defense finally were able to keep shooters to the outside, not much around the crease action potting in rebounds.

To answer some other points people brought up:
Yes I like Manning too, he seems to play better while up, but fact is in the AHL Lauridsen was solidifying the defense on a team that let up a lot of goals, how does he manage such a huge disparity in Plus Minus then the rest of the defenders and players on the team had embarrassing minus ratings?
Using some of these penalties and turnover arguments against Lauridsen is misleading because his 2-3 major incidences where isolated in the first 2 games to 3 shifts while he was getting acclimated with his teammates and surroundings, plus he bounced back and made up for those errors very well. He eventually got comfortable and played very well in the rest of the games, even in areas we did not expect him to (offensive).
It would be more constructive to ask the staff to hire skating trainer/coaches for Lauridsen instead of *****ing about his flaws, work on doing something about them to make him more complete.
Coffey helped Therien to skate faster and better, it can be done with the right trainer and methods. To often Flyer fans would rather devalue their players and harp on them instead of grooming them to be the best they can be.
I guess it's just me, I come from an ideology that life is all about being complete and whole and the best we can be, progressing in stages to become what we should and could be, and that is our purpose and essence we need to reflect and manifest in ALL aspects of life. We have in this world those who want to trash and decay our being and those who want to nurture and progress and improve our being, 2 natures we get to choose, thus what kind of life we live or world we have depends on those choices.
Choose to help your team and players not trash them, just as you'd want to choose to help your humanity and planet and not trash that.
I think Manning has more potential. Most around here like Lauridsen better. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with opinions.

I will say though that expecting Lauridsen (or Manning for that matter) to replace Coburn now or ever is outside the realm of possibility.

They don't have the ability to do so. Manning, with considerably more potential, comes closer. Lauridsen, at the very best, could potentially replace Grossmann, but by then I would assume Schenn + Morin + Coburn would be three better options on our backend.

So my problem with all the love Lauridsen is getting is not because he is getting love over players that I like better, it's that people are expecting way too much from him when realistically, right now he does not fit like a puzzle piece into our future plans.

Could Morin explode making Coburn expendable and leaving Lauridsen to replace Grossmann on the bottom pairing should Lauridsen get better? Sure, but the timing has to be perfect, Morin has to literally jump significantly, Grossmann needs to be considered expendable comparatively, and the organization needs to feel comfortable with an extremely young blueline.

The chips are against Manning, Lauridsen, Bourdon, Willcox, etc.

If you're a defenseman in the Flyers' prospect pool and your name isn't Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Hagg, or Morin, the odds are not in your favor.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:36 PM
XDevilBoiX

CS, I see you are high on Coburn. I don't see him as a stud as you do, he frustrates the crap out of me with his inconsistent play. Dude plays soft as hell for someone his size and isn't the brightest guy on the ice. Too many times I see him infront of our net trying to poke check a smaller guy instead of knocking him off the puck or watching the opposition score on us. He used to have a rocket for a shot but rarely use it anymore. I don't know what happened to him but people have pointed out that ever since he took a puck to his noggins he's been playing different.

Lauridsen doesn't have his skills but I like his mean streak, he will hit and play physical. If all we want Coburn to do is play defense then I can see Lauridsen doing that if we can develop him into that type. We can have a mean sob clearing our crease, something Coburn fails to do more often then not. Don't get me wrong, I like Coburn but don't think he's all that he's made out to be.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
CS, I see you are high on Coburn. I don't see him as a stud as you do, he frustrates the crap out of me with his inconsistent play. Dude plays soft as hell for someone his size and isn't the brightest guy on the ice. Too many times I see him infront of our net trying to poke check a smaller guy instead of knocking him off the puck or watching the opposition score on us. He used to have a rocket for a shot but rarely use it anymore. I don't know what happened to him but people have pointed out that ever since he took a puck to his noggins he's been playing different.

Lauridsen doesn't have his skills but I like his mean streak, he will hit and play physical. If all we want Coburn to do is play defense then I can see Lauridsen doing that if we can develop him into that type. We can have a mean sob clearing our crease, something Coburn fails to do more often then not. Don't get me wrong, I like Coburn but don't think he's all that he's made out to be.
Coburn has his flaws, but Lauridsen will never be able to step in and provide what Coburn does. Ideally, he works out to be a dependable number six. That's still a great career for a seventh round draft pick.

Coburn doesn't play as physical as he can for of a lot of reasons, but one of them is penalties. Like it or not, the league often penalizes guys for being bigger and stronger than their opponents. Gone are the days where the defenseman can just manhandle someone in front of the net.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I don't see Coburn as a stud. I see Coburn as a 28-year-old #3 defensemen who can hang with opposing teams' top lines for more than 20 minutes a night.

If Lauridsen had to play 20 minutes a night against other teams' top lines, he'd get horribly exposed.

Just because Coburn can't carry a pairing or move the puck does not mean he's defensively unreliable.

Quote:
If you handed Lauridsen 4.50m/year and were like, "Here you go, buddy. There's Kovalchuk's line. Go out an play 22 minutes of defense." do you have any idea what would happen?

1. It wouldn't happen because Lauridsen would be in the box either because he tried to rip a dude's head off out of frustration or because he was caught flat-footed and committed a "lazy" penalty on a forward getting around him.

2. He did finally manage to locate a puck in the corner only to either flail it up ice while under pressure or get stripped by a much faster opponent. I don't know how, but somehow, in the course of 15 games at 15 minutes a night, Lauridsen managed to pull a -12 give/take ratio. That's crazy bad.

3. He'd be the new scapegoat, far more so than Coburn or Carle ever were.

Look. All I want is some sanity from the people that like Lauridsen. He's not ready for 20 minutes a night right now if he ever even will be. Stop saying that you'd rather have him than Coburn. It's ludicrous.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:03 PM
XDevilBoiX

I didn't say I rather have Lauridsen now over Coburn. Not that crazy as a Flyers fan yet . I said if we can develop Laridsen into a defensive defenseman that can play in the NHL then I would take him over Coburn. I guess it's just me thinking that on Coburn then.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I didn't say I rather have Lauridsen now over Coburn. Not that crazy as a Flyers fan yet . I said if we can develop Laridsen into a defensive defenseman that can play in the NHL then I would take him over Coburn. I guess it's just me thinking that on Coburn then.
No you wouldn't because Lauridsen won't ever play at Coburn's level. I can safely say that he's never going to be that good.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
3Fs

Quote:
No you wouldn't because Lauridsen won't ever play at Coburn's level. I can safely say that he's never going to be that good.
Heres a hoping you are wrong...just saying....

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote