HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers defense for 2013/14

Old
07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You're talking potential.

I'm saying if a 20 year old defenseman is a top pairing defenseman on the Oilers next year, the Oilers will be a terrible team, especially defensively.
They already are terrible, we know they are terrible.

J Schultz will be improved if they give him a better D partner.
Petry and Smid will be no better.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Would it be unreasonable to expect Klefbom to step in next season and play similar minutes to Schultz last season?
I think they will try and bring him along slowly and not over do it but his play will force the issue. There has been plenty of cases of this happening over the last few years.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yes, it does. But not how you mean it, imo.
Lol - touche, and fair enough.

IMO having Gilbert come back is a step in the wrong direction. Yes, we need another puck moving D but not one as soft as Gilbert if at all possible.

The guy is soft, and doesn't bring the offense he needs to for being so soft.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:55 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Would it be unreasonable to expect Klefbom to step in next season and play similar minutes to Schultz last season?
Already a more complete player. Not as good offensively though.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post

IMO having Gilbert come back is a step in the wrong direction. Yes, we need another puck moving D but not one as soft as Gilbert if at all possible.

I actually thought Tom was more physical in his last year with the Oil. But you are right we need to be tougher as well.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

He isn't ideal, but he's a better puck mover than anyone we have not named Schultz or Petry. And he's certainly an upgrade on Potter. Jmo.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He isn't ideal, but he's a better puck mover than anyone we have not named Schultz or Petry. And he's certainly an upgrade on Potter. Jmo.
Agreed that he's a better PMD than Potter (by far), but the deficiencies that come with him are more of a handicap then...well Potter.

Tedi is right however that Tom was playing much more physical his last season with us, and i distinctly remember a game or two where everyone was suprised how physical he was.

IF he brought that type of game with him, and he took a sizeable pay cut - then i'd be ok with it.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:57 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

Petry, J.Schultz, Belov can all move the puck. If anything, they need a Willie Mitchell type here.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:05 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
undervaluing everyone here..
Smid a #4 ? What more does he need to do to be considered a top pairing defensive Dman? Between Smid and Ference we have the LD spots on '2a' and '2b' pairings covered.. Belov, Klefbom and Nick can fight for the last LD spot on the bottom pairing. If Klefbom proves he is NHL ready, playing on the third pairing would not burn him out.
I think Petry is a good #4 and so would be J.Schultz. Neither of them should be on the bottom pairing in NHL. Klebom-N.Schultz pairing could be good as 3rd pairing.

Ideally we get a #1 RD bumping down Justin and Petry a notch. Hoping one of these 2 take a step up and take over that role.

Other than that our D is set.
play more than 20 minutes a game?

Smid was 3rd in total icetime on the team and 3rd in ES minutes..J.Schultz and Petry and more minutes than Smid...on a putrid defensive team

maybe we accept him as a really good #4?

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Klefbom will be a top 3 if not top 2 dman on this team by half way through next season.
I agree. Hes developed amazingly so far, which is crazy considering all the injuries. He looks unreal. Ive always believed that Brodin is better, still do, but its looked pretty close thus far, and he was a top 2 guy last season, and was 2 months too old to be in Yakupovs draft!

Klef too is young for his draft, only a few days older then Brodin, both only a couple months older than Ryan Murray... Really young for a Dman to play NHL who wasnt a top 10 pick. But if hes good enough, and I think he is, he should be there.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Oilers D next season, IMO.

Locks:
Petry
Smid
J Schultz
Ference
N Schultz

Competing for spots:
Klefa
Belov
Potter
Fedun
Marincin
Phil Larsen.

Last edited by Groucho: 07-09-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Locks:
Petry
Smid
J Schultz
N Schultz

Competing for spots:
Klefa
Belov
Potter
Fedun
Marincin
Above Suspicion:
Ference.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Hahahaha ****, forgot about him

Editing now...

Old
07-09-2013, 05:43 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Hahahaha ****, forgot about him

Editing now...
Too late! Immortalized forever!

It's good to have so much competition for one spot, but you got to think, the locks aren't really that solid. Unless, of course, we see a resurgence from Nick Schultz, which I hope for.

Hopes and dreams: A solid #2 (Petry), Schultz coming into a #3, another #3 (Smid), another #3 (ference), A good to decent #4 (Nick Schultz) and a surprising #3 (Belov, Klefbom).

Oilers-style scenario: A solid #3 (Petry)
Schultz treading water to a good #4,
#4 (smid),
Ference overplayed as a #2, plays like a #4
Glorified #6 (N. Schultz)
#7 forced into a role due to injuries (Potter)

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Locks:
Petry
Smid
J Schultz
Ference
N Schultz

Competing for spots:
Klefa
Belov
Potter
Fedun
Marincin
I think Larsen is on a one way contract, so I would put him down as a lock to be the 6/7th D man. Still leaves a spot open.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I think Larsen is on a one way contract, so I would put him down as a lock to be the 6/7th D man. Still leaves a spot open.
Forgot about him too.

Potter is on a one way contract as well if I remember correctly, doesn't guarantee him anything though. Larsen could very well steal Potters job though.

I expect Fedun, Marincin and Klefa to get some preseason games.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:

Locks:
Petry
Smid
J Schultz
Ference
N Schultz

Competing for spots:
Klefa
Belov
Potter
Fedun
Marincin
Phil Larsen.
I think that Belov coming over from Russia really wants to play in the NHL you would almost guarantee him a sport on the bottom pairing.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Rita12

I wouldn't mind Hall Gill as a 6/7th defenseman. 1 year 1 million. I know he has slowed down but he is still an asset on the PK, is big, physical and has lots of experience. We need a crease clearer and he could be our new Andy Sutton minus the sick dangles. Plus we have loads of cap space and it's always good to have depth. Another guy I'd look at who can log big minutes is Douglas Murray, he did pretty well with Pittsburgh.

Rita12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita12 View Post
I wouldn't mind Hall Gill as a 6/7th defenseman. 1 year 1 million. I know he has slowed down but he is still an asset on the PK, is big, physical and has lots of experience. We need a crease clearer and he could be our new Andy Sutton minus the sick dangles. Plus we have loads of cap space and it's always good to have depth. Another guy I'd look at who can log big minutes is Douglas Murray, he did pretty well with Pittsburgh.
I think they will try for a legitimate top 4 guy like Coburn. Do not see them targeting another No.6-7 guy. If they wanted to, they could simply sign Fistric.

In the dreamworld.

Petry-Smid
Coburn-Ference
J.Schultz-Belov
N.Schultz, Larsen

Klefbom to the minors and be the first call-up. Potter waived.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Soundwave

Would Meszaros be an upgrade on Nick Schultz?

I'm kinda on board for getting him, he's put up solid offensive numbers in the past and dumping Schultz elsewhere. I don't think Philly wants to move Coburn, Mac T is just banging his head against the wall with that one.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
So why wasn't he over playing in the NHL when he was 22?

I am not saying Belov sucks, or won't make the team, I am just saying people penciling him into the line up is very premature. The KHL is a differnt league, bigger ice ect. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in the KHL after a breif try out.
Belov will assuredly be in the top 6 barring something unforseen happening like him completely looking lost in preseason or Klefbom dominating the preseason games.
He didn't come over here to play in the AHL and MacT didn't sign him to a $1.5 mil contract to play in the AHL. He'll be on the opening night roster.
It's looking very likely that Schultz's, Smid, Petry, Ference and Belov will be the 6.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

It seems that Klefbom is head and shoulders above all of the other Defense in development camp. I'd suggest he has a very good chance at getting his 10 games minimum and possibly making the team. I'd like to see what he looks like with Petry, Shultz, Smid and the other Dmen on the Oilers.

Sounds extremely promising to me.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
It seems that Klefbom is head and shoulders above all of the other Defense in development camp. I'd suggest he has a very good chance at getting his 10 games minimum and possibly making the team. I'd like to see what he looks like with Petry, Shultz, Smid and the other Dmen on the Oilers.

Sounds extremely promising to me.
He's not a junior player. His ELC kicks in this year regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL. He does not have to clear waivers to go down.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
He's not a junior player. His ELC kicks in this year regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL. He does not have to clear waivers to go down.
Thanks for the clarification.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

I believe Belov will be given a shot to make the team as the bottom pairing LHD. If he really was rated one of, if not the best D-man in the KHL then one would think that he should be able to handle that kind of role in the NHL soon enough.

And I don't believe that MacT is very confident in N. Schultz as someone else mentioned which is why I think we heard the comments from MacT today about the competition for the lower D spots. We haven't heard diddly from MacT about how we're going to need Schultz to find his game again or we'll be hoping for a rebound or whatever.

Schultz was a top-4 guy before Kruegers' system last year and at $3.5M he just doesn't fit with Ference in the Picture. D-men seem to have some value so maybe MacT is thinking of moving him out and retaining salary if he has to. Or even swapping him along with the #1 pick for a more expensive top pairing guy?

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Belov - xxx
Potter
Larsen

Question I have is if we get someone like Coburn, does that mean Smid is the guy on his way out?

With Klefbom on the way and hopefully ready to make the jump the following year, like someone else mentioned already, if MacT makes a trade for a top pairing LH puck moving guy, I think Smid is the one that gets moved out.

Ideally it would be nice to get a top pairing RHD as well, but the only guy you could probably get (Myers) isn't worth taking a risk on IMO.

It'll be interesting to see who makes it to free agency next year. The Oil should be able to fill out the roster next off-season...I hope.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote