HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carolina "Mystery Player": Wants to Play in NC; Waiting for JR to Clear Salary

Old
07-09-2013, 04:01 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

vCash: 500
It's Jagr.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
Jagr at 6M is sounds like

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
KovalSNIPE

@PantzNHL
"A report out of Russia suggests that Jaromir Jagr is interested in signing with the #Devils to play alongside Elias. I guess we'll see soon."

take for what its worth...

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockyluv21 View Post
Looking at Capgeek, if we trade Ruutu either to Toronto for Liles or to New Jersey for Volchenkov, we would get a net cap savings in the $500K-800K per year. That would open a hole in the top six and allow us to sign said Jagr or Brunner. Perhaps this is the deal that is being talked about.
Toronto doesn't need a ruutu for liles deal. The leafs need capable d men not more top 9 forwards at the expense of the blue line

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackLibertys View Post
That Eklund guy said Jagr....so it can't be him, right?

Honestly, what scares me is they have 5+ million cap space, and still need to clear some cap before signing said UFA?
They almost certainly have an internal budget... It wouldn't surprise me if they want to clear salary before signing the player.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Lindholm needs a contract plus another forward or two. Jagr at even 3M would push them right to the limit.
they have $5.4M left and 18 players signed. 4 players would take up say $3M..the UFA would only have $2.4M left to sign for.

With Jagr because he is 35+ they could bonus the contract thus push the cap hit to next year.

My feeling its Jagr for around $4.5M

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:

Honestly, what scares me is they have 5+ million cap space, and still need to clear some cap before signing said UFA?
Carolina only has 9 forwards and 6 defenseman under contract for next year. What's more, 2 of the 4 guys they're likely to sign (Ryan Murphy and Elias Lindholm) are going to have cap hits in the $1.3M range.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
They almost certainly have an internal budget... It wouldn't surprise me if they want to clear salary before signing the player.
Yes, we have an internal budget. Which is why we're right up to the cap and signing big money free agents these days.

Carolina's finances have changed- Karmanos has his minority partners now, making noise last offseason allowed JR to get more money out of sponsors, and in case you didn't notice, the financial structure of the league changed dramatically.

We're trying to move pieces around because we're squeezed up against the cap, and any team is going to want flexibility, especially if we're still trying to upgrade the D.

So who wants to give us futures for Ruutu?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Pourquoi pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Last week, Jim Rutherford declared that a "big time FA" had approached Carolina with interest to play there, but he was not optimistic about signing him. (...)
I strongly doubt that it's Jagr.

I can see him signing there if they offer a lot of money (like Dallas did last year), but I can't imagine Jagr's camp being the one contacting the Canes out of the blue with "I want to play for you, give me this $ and I'm yours". That would be too random.

Pourquoi pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
Yes, we have an internal budget. Which is why we're right up to the cap and signing big money free agents these days.

Carolina's finances have changed- Karmanos has his minority partners now, making noise last offseason allowed JR to get more money out of sponsors, and in case you didn't notice, the financial structure of the league changed dramatically.

We're trying to move pieces around because we're squeezed up against the cap, and any team is going to want flexibility, especially if we're still trying to upgrade the D.

So who wants to give us futures for Ruutu?
To bad the guy can't stay healthy. 3 more years @4.75mil cap hit and 15mil salary is too much.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
but I can't imagine Jagr's camp being the one contacting the Canes out of the blue with "I want to play for you, give me this $ and I'm yours". That would be too random.
Not when you consider he is friends with Tlusty from the Czech league. If that's not reason enough, there's the fact that Ron Francis is a high-ranking guy in their front office.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I strongly doubt that it's Jagr.

I can see him signing there if they offer a lot of money (like Dallas did last year), but I can't imagine Jagr's camp being the one contacting the Canes out of the blue with "I want to play for you, give me this $ and I'm yours". That would be too random.
There aren't exactly a ton of teams out there that offer a better situation either. It's a good young team with space for him at RW, a good friend on the roster and another in the front office, low-pressure market that still supports them, and the money and cap space to make it happen.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Yeah it's probably Jagr.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post

You're not right at the cap... you're at 58.8m.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Sarcastic

This could be the biggest let down since Martin Erat to Washington.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

We're owned by:

and:

Jagr is ours.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
I think Jagr makes the most sense for this mystery player. Certainly the one year deal part and having to clear space since Jagr would command a 5+ million salary.

I hope he goes to Carolina, that way he likely misses the playoffs and get traded at the deadline again. Making his grand total of teams played for 8.
I suppose I can't resent anyone the possiblitiy that the Canes would miss the playoffs based on their performance last season. But if you add Jagr to that forward group it is a pretty formidable lineup, then throw in Cam Ward coming back healthy and upgrades to their weakest guys on defense.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
ThePsychicSaw

We've believe its jagr for days. makes sense considering all the rumors, connections, and interviews.

but...

what would the roster look like? I think it would be an awful mistake to move pitkanen.

even ruutu, I feel would be bad.

where would jagr slot? I'm sure he command top6 role. so whos being bumped down?

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Bowman-Lindholm-Dalpe
Welsh-Nash-Dwyer
Westgarth

Pitkanen-Faulk
Sekera-Gleason
Harrison-Komisarek
Bellemore
Murphy

Ward
Khudobin

ThePsychicSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I suppose I can't resent anyone the possiblitiy that the Canes would miss the playoffs based on their performance last season. But if you add Jagr to that forward group it is a pretty formidable lineup, then throw in Cam Ward coming back healthy and upgrades to their weakest guys on defense.
I personally just don't think the team is quite there yet and Jagr likely isn't going to be great next season imo, certainly not for 82 games. But maybe they will prove me wrong, they certainly have some talented players.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:37 PM
hockey_nut

Does anyone know what local radio station JR was on? Is there audio of this?

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:41 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic View Post
This could be the biggest let down since Martin Erat to Washington.
You mean since losing Ribs for nothing?

Washington has been full of nothing but boneheaded mismanagement as of late.

How do you lose a 1b/2a center who is playing a ppg level and your 2nd highest point producer (i believe), trade a legit top6 prospect in forsberg (who could perform for you under elc terms) for Erat who brings along a contract that ultimately helped in hurting your chancing to keep aforementioned Ribeiro.

All the while knowing youre joining a MUCH tougher division, consisting of teams that all UPGRADED, while you lost pieces FOR NOTHING.

CAPS will be a bottom 5 team next year, and non playoff for 3 years up ahead, barring major shakeups (which caps management doesnt do)

So glad my favorite player Semin left, also with the caps getting NOTHING.

As far as the canes, they were my sleeper next year, add in a veteran pickup in jagr for no assets and, although less of a sleeper, I can see them surprising many and doing damage in the playoffs. ECF possibly.

GO SASHA!

ThePsychicSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Pourquoi pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Not when you consider he is friends with Tlusty from the Czech league. If that's not reason enough, there's the fact that Ron Francis is a high-ranking guy in their front office.
And Jagr would also have a chance to meet his ex frequently since she's dating Tlusty now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There aren't exactly a ton of teams out there that offer a better situation either. It's a good young team with space for him at RW, a good friend on the roster and another in the front office, low-pressure market that still supports them, and the money and cap space to make it happen.
Why would he contact a team knowing they don't have enough room under the cap for his salary? And make them make moves to fit him in? And have they even been in contact with Francis recently? Still seems too random to me.

Pourquoi pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Tim Thomas.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:47 PM
njdevil26

Quote:

It's because they have 10 forwards and 6 defensemen signed. They need an extra D and to sign 3-4 forwards to have a 23 man lineup. So it's 5 mil in cap space and 5 players need to be added.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Why would he contact a team knowing they don't have enough room under the cap for his salary? And make them make moves to fit him in? And have they even been in contact with Francis recently? Still seems too random to me.
Dunno if Jagr's been in contact with Francis, but if you mean have the Canes been in contact with Francis, he works in the organization.

Was an assistant coach, assistant GM, and possible future GM

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote