HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Juban912

vCash: 500
These new bridges are about as practical as a stick with no blade. How are you gonna put in a new jumbotron/GardenVision and then put these bridges right in the sightline of it for row 15 and up? I can't be the only one who thinks this is dumb, right?

And yes, I'm aware it's all about money. Been watching professional all too long to know that

Old
07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

The amount of ink spilled in this thread about being unable to see the scoreboard boggles my mind.

Maybe this sounds classist, but if you don't like the obstructed views in the seats behind the bridges, pay up to sit somewhere else, or don't attend the game.

Like a recent post very smartly indicated, MSG has got people lined up to take the seats behind the bridge from anyone who is indignant over the obstructed scoreboard...

Old
07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
The amount of ink spilled in this thread about being unable to see the scoreboard boggles my mind.

Maybe this sounds classist, but if you don't like the obstructed views in the seats behind the bridges, pay up to sit somewhere else, or don't attend the game.

Like a recent post very smartly indicated, MSG has got people lined up to take the seats behind the bridge from anyone who is indignant over the obstructed scoreboard...
well if you sit in the upper rows and had a perfect, unobstructed view for 1 season and its being taken away from you, you might be a bit upset. maybe the people complaining cant afford to pay an additional $23 per seat, per game. maybe these people have also been STH for a long time and feel like they're getting the shaft from an organization they've been loyal to for years.

people have a right to be upset even if you don't understand or disagree with it.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
or don't attend the game.
Done. Thank you. 15 games a year is now down to 1.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
CaptainBlueshirt

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Do you have a link?
Referring to the images prior to my post. That doesn't look like a bridge to me at least how they explained it initially. The bridge in the beginning sounded and looked hokey. This looks good and less obnoxious.

Old
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juban912 View Post
These new bridges are about as practical as a stick with no blade. How are you gonna put in a new jumbotron/GardenVision and then put these bridges right in the sightline of it for row 15 and up? I can't be the only one who thinks this is dumb, right?

And yes, I'm aware it's all about money. Been watching professional all too long to know that
I am in row 21 of the upper bowl. I will reserve judgment until I actually sit in my seat, but I am not really worried about the scoreboard. In Montreal's Bell Centre, they have the same thing. I couldn't see the other side of the arena from where I was sitting in March, didn't really matter to me. What did matter is that the Rangers played like crap that night and got shutout.

Old
07-09-2013, 03:47 PM
ThisYearsModel

What will be interesting is how much of the ice/benches will be obstructed for upper level people when they stand up.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

What are you going to see on the jumbotron that's not displayed to you on one of the several screens attached to the back-side of the sky walks? I'd imagine they'll probably mount at least 4-5 80"+ screens up there before all is said and done.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:07 PM
azaloum90

I wish they would make the netting white. It wouldn't be so distracting. Prudential Center has it, why can't the garden?

It might actually make me WANT to sit in the 400's, given the awful view thanks to the bridges.

Question, are you going to be allowed to just wander the bridges at any time? I remember a game I went to last season we chilled up in front of a pub/bar stand and watching the game from over the glass. Would they permit the same thing in the bridges? They seem pretty large, I wouldn't mind watching the game over the bridge for the last period

Old
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
I wish they would make the netting white. It wouldn't be so distracting. Prudential Center has it, why can't the garden?

It might actually make me WANT to sit in the 400's, given the awful view thanks to the bridges.

Question, are you going to be allowed to just wander the bridges at any time? I remember a game I went to last season we chilled up in front of a pub/bar stand and watching the game from over the glass. Would they permit the same thing in the bridges? They seem pretty large, I wouldn't mind watching the game over the bridge for the last period
From what I've read, at least some part of the bridges will be open to everyone.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:46 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
From what I've read, at least some part of the bridges will be open to everyone.
what about actual tickets for the bridge? There are none listed in the iomedia link

Old
07-09-2013, 04:53 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
It seems to me like most of the TV side bridge will be for the press only. I would guess anyone can wander the opposite side bridge.

Another thing I notice from the renderings, it appears like the East side 10th floor level is not connected to the bridges. That is shown as being a bunch of suites (they call them "lofts") and the bridges just go off into a hidden concourse behind those lofts:

Old
07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I'm sure this has been said already, so I apologize for the regurgitation..but here's my issue. You have this tool bag Ratner saying in the Fox Video clip, "People are going to be blown away by the clarity of the video and the size of the board" and how they're restoring the Garden's famous ceiling and a lot of people aren't even going to be able to see them. I mean, I know I'm there to watch the event, but when I'm in an arena or stadium, I look at my surroundings. That's just how I am. And when I'm at a hockey game, I LOOK at the jumbotron, and when I'm in the Garden in particular, I actually LOOK at that ceiling. It's like going to Fenway to see the Green Monster or going to Wrigley and to see the Ivy. It's part of the experience for me. And depending on where I sit now in MSG, I could have both of those taken away from me, and I have an issue with that. And it's easy to say, "Oh, well then buy different seats." At that place? I'm lucky I can afford the "cheap" seats. I'm happy with all the other renovations and I really do think this puts MSG on par with all the newer arenas and stuff, but the bridges are just unnecessary to me.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 07-10-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I'm sure this has been said already, so I apologize for the regurgitation..but here's my issue. You have this tool bag Ratner saying in the Fox Video clip, "People are going to be blown away by the clarity of the video and the size of the board" and the how they're restoring the Garden's famous ceiling and a lot of people aren't even going to be able to see them. I mean I know I know I'm there to watch the event, but when I'm in an arena or stadium, I look at my surroundings. That's just how I am. And when I'm at a hockey game, I LOOK at the jumbotron, and when I'm in the Garden in particular, I actually LOOK at that ceiling. It's like going to Fenway to see the Green Monster or going to Wrigley and to see the Ivy. It's part of the experience for me. And depending on where I sit now in MSG, I could have both of those taken away from me, and I have an issue with that. And it's easy to say, "Oh, well then buy different seats." At that place? I'm lucky I can afford the "cheap" seats. I'm happy with all the other renovations and I really do think this puts MSG on par with all the newer arenas and stuff, but the bridges are just unnecessary to me.
Totally understandable and I agree -

Has anyone figured out how many rows are actually compromised up there?

I think MSG/Dolan/Ratner, etc. gravitated to the fact that MSG would be the only arena featuring bridges/catwalks and didn't really think about the fan experience in a few rows near the top. (no surprise there).

I also think it will allow the media to get some pretty unique photography angles that we haven't seen before. I read somewhere that one bridge will be open to the fans and the other for media only? If so, thats even more of a waste. Would be better if it was just a curtained off section in the middle or a camera well.

Here's another option - If you buy seats in any compromised rows you should be given preferential access to the bridge (specifically the best parts, if there are any) if you choose to do so. It should state that on the ticket somewhere. That way youll be ON the bridge instead of being blocked by it - if it becomes such an issue. (Or wil lthe bridge seating be sold separately? - seems like a lot of seats are going to be up there)

Also - will there be a Power-Ring type screen attached to the bridges on either side of it?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-10-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Juban912

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I am in row 21 of the upper bowl. I will reserve judgment until I actually sit in my seat, but I am not really worried about the scoreboard. In Montreal's Bell Centre, they have the same thing. I couldn't see the other side of the arena from where I was sitting in March, didn't really matter to me. What did matter is that the Rangers played like crap that night and got shutout.
Interesting. I do like the jumbotron for replays because we all end up missing something in the play from time to time. Didn't know there would be screens on the bridges - do we know how big they'll be?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juban912 View Post
Interesting. I do like the jumbotron for replays because we all end up missing something in the play from time to time. Didn't know there would be screens on the bridges - do we know how big they'll be?

I know that kid with the black hair in the foreground is clapping, but it looks like hes about to launch a mortar rocket into the bridges. Given the reception the bridges have gotten so far, that might be an accurate representation of the future. lol j/k

Old
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Totally understandable and I agree -

Has anyone figured out how many rows are actually compromised up there?

I think MSG/Dolan/Ratner, etc. gravitated to the fact that MSG would be the only arena featuring bridges/catwalks and didn't really think about the fan experience in a few rows near the top. (no surprise there).

I also think it will allow the media to get some pretty unique photography angles that we haven't seen before. I read somewhere that one bridge will be open to the fans and the other for media only? If so, thats even more of a waste. Would be better if it was just a curtained off section in the middle or a camera well.

Here's another option - If you buy seats in any compromised rows you should be given preferential access to the bridge (specifically the best parts, if there are any) if you choose to do so. It should state that on the ticket somewhere. That way youll be ON the bridge instead of being blocked by it - if it becomes such an issue.
I think it starts getting dicey (sight wise) around the 15th or 16th rows. And no, it really isn't a surprise. But yeah, they will get some unique photography angles. And I'm not even saying I won't be curious to check them out myself, but after I see it once or twice it'll probably lose it's luster for me. And I have a fear of heights, so I may be turned off by it just once. But I like the idea of preferential access to the bridge..maybe they'll do that if enough people complain.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:

I know that kid with the black hair in the foreground is clapping, but it looks like hes about to launch a mortar rocket into the bridges. Given the reception the bridges have gotten so far, that might be an accurate representation of the future. lol j/k
I don't think it's a safe assumption to consider the sentiments shared here to be indicative of majority fan opinion.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
(Or will the bridge seating be sold separately? - seems like a lot of seats are going to be up there)
Yes, bridge seating will be sold separately. There are about 1,000 of them, and they are premium seats.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:49 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Yes, bridge seating will be sold separately. There are about 1,000 of them, and they are premium seats.
There is no possible way there is anywhere close to 1000 seats on those bridges, even when you count the press areas. For the little public sections that exist, there is only a single row of seats, plus a row of barstools

Old
07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
srsly989

Am I the only one who's paranoid enough to worry that someone is gonna drop a beer on top of me?

Old
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly989 View Post
Am I the only one who's paranoid enough to worry that someone is gonna drop a beer on top of me?
I don't see how it's any different than the decks already at every single pro sports venue in the country

Old
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
There is no possible way there is anywhere close to 1000 seats on those bridges, even when you count the press areas. For the little public sections that exist, there is only a single row of seats, plus a row of barstools
There are actually 2 rows of seats plus barstools..

Old
07-10-2013, 02:49 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
There are actually 2 rows of seats plus barstools..
ok that's weird, after your post I went looking around and I did find the sections with 2 rows of seats, which are all on the non-TV side. But in sections 327 & 328 that I was basing my comment on, there is only 1 row of seats

So including the barstools, looks like about 400-ish seats tops for both bridges

Last edited by GordonGecko: 07-10-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
ok that's weird, after your post I went looking around and I did find the sections with 2 rows of seats. But in sections 327 & 328 that I was basing that on, there is only 1 row of seats

But including the barstools, looks like about 400 to 500 seats tops
2 rows plus bar stools on 33rd St side.
1 row plus barstools on 31st St side.

There are probably no more than 300 seats available to fans on those bridges.

Cheers!
-Doug

Closed Thread