HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Eric Lindros hall of fame worthy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2013, 02:16 PM
  #76
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,094
vCash: 769
Geraldine Heaney in before Lindros...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
  #77
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Niiiice on Shero. I guess Lindros's burned bridges strike again.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:34 PM
  #78
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,272
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Niiiice on Shero. I guess Lindros's burned bridges strike again.
If you removed the sarcasm smiley you would actually be correct, more likely than not.

Unless you can provide a cogent reason for him not being in, which you really haven't done yet, based on prior standards and the way Lindros exceeds them.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:37 PM
  #79
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Personally I never got caught up in Hall of fame stuff.........Eric was one heck of a Hockey player, and he dominated out on the ice period ! I will like him and think he was one of the best players of his time whether he gets enshrined or not......He was a tremendous talent !
As far as Fred Shero ! He is too damn good to be in the Hall in my view, he deserves his own HOF. Loved that guy and what he did for the Flyers, he was an absolute GENIUS and I liked the way he unleashed his Flyers on the NHL ! It was BEAUTIFUL !

The Marshall tucker band is my all time favorite band and they are not in any hall of fame etc.....That's fine by me, its the HOFs loss and I still like them.


Last edited by SgtJoseph: 07-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.
SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:37 PM
  #80
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm
 
Legion of Goon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Titicaca
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Neely and Bure already being in aside, this is completely ridiculous. Lindros was one of the best players of all time. Anyone who watched saw it, and his numbers show it. How is he less deserving than someone like Ciccarelli who had 1200 points because he played over 1200 games? How does being above average for a long time trump being arguably the best over several years?

Two or three exceptional seasons? From 93-98 he averaged 1.42 PPG, a 116 point pace. In that time he had 2 90 point season, a 100 point season, and 70 points in the shortened 46 game season (124 point pace). He paced for 100 points in about half the seasons he played.

Lindros was an absolute force, and one of the greatest talents of all time. Allowing him in does not open any floodgates because there are not players like him. The closest thing would be Forsberg, and Crosby if he heads down the same path. Two more of the game's greatest talents.





I agree 100 percent
Most people think Forsberg is a lock to get in, and they have very similar numbers, Forsberg with a higher PPG average, and Lindros scored 120 goals more then Forsberg.

Next to Bobby Clarke, Lindros is my favourite Flyer and most fun to watch he could do everything, and only lost one fight.

Dave Reid on NHL Network said he changed the way the game was played.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
  #81
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,925
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Personally I never got caught up in Hall of fame stuff.........Eric was one heck of a Hockey player, and he dominated out on the ice period ! I will like him and think he was one of the best players of his time whether he gets enshrined or not......He was a tremendous talent !
As far as Ray Shero ! He is too damn good to be in the Hall in my view, he deserves his own HOF. Loved that guy and what he did for the Flyers, he was an absolute GENIUS and I liked the way he unleashed his Flyers on the NHL ! It was BEAUTIFUL !

The Marshall tucker band is my all time favorite band and they are not in any hall of fame etc.....That's fine by me, its the HOFs loss and I still like them.
That's high praise for a young, rival GM.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
  #82
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If you removed the sarcasm smiley you would actually be correct, more likely than not.

Unless you can provide a cogent reason for him not being in, which you really haven't done yet, based on prior standards and the way Lindros exceeds them.
So I guess all those cogent reasons I stated earlier about missing half his career due to injury, the off-ice issues, and the reasons surrounding other somewhat similarly situated players don't count, but your cogent reasons of "nuh-uh, he was great!" do? What would a cogent reason be? Like I said in my earlier posts, I 100% understand your argument, I just don't agree with it. You don't see any merit to my argument at all? None? It is simply that people don't like him? Come on.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
  #83
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianflyer88 View Post
that's high praise for a young, rival gm.
lol !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
  #84
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
So with Shero in...is the curse lifted?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
  #85
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,272
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So I guess all those cogent reasons I stated earlier about missing half his career due to injury, the off-ice issues, and the reasons surrounding other somewhat similarly situated players don't count, but your cogent reasons of "nuh-uh, he was great!" do? What would a cogent reason be? Like I said in my earlier posts, I 100% understand your argument, I just don't agree with it. You don't see any merit to my argument at all? None? It is simply that people don't like him? Come on.
You really don't think that his actions which pissed off many of the people responsible for voting on such things are going to have an impact? People are petty. It happens. Just look at how long it took Shero to get into the Hall. That's not because he was somehow undeserving; if he were coach of Toronto and had the same accomplishments he would have been voted in long ago. But, he wasn't...he was the coach of the Broad Street Bullies, a team that many old-schoolers hated and considered a disgrace.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
  #86
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You really don't think that his actions which pissed off many of the people responsible for voting on such things are going to have an impact? People are petty. It happens. Just look at how long it took Shero to get into the Hall. That's not because he was somehow undeserving; if he were coach of Toronto and had the same accomplishments he would have been voted in long ago. But, he wasn't...he was the coach of the Broad Street Bullies, a team that many old-schoolers hated and considered a disgrace.
I didn't say it has NO impact. I listed off-ice issues as part of the reason why he hasn't been inducted and why I don't think he should be. I think the other reasons are equally part of the equation. Big picture. If you just look at PPG and how he played is his, let's face it, limited time on the ice over a 15 or so year career, there are going to be a ton of guys who are going to get in becuase, well, they were good when the played. I know Bure and Neely got in and people are saying Forsberg will probably get in. I would probably and will probably have the same arguments about those players. There are other factors involved in those players as well. Like I said about Bure, he scored a ton of goals, which is going to make you more attractive to voters. Neely basically invented a new type of playing style (or at least perfected it). To my knowledge these two guys were well liked (or at least not disliked) and neither were issues off the ice or in the locker room. Those are all +s when it comes to voters. Lindros had some pluses but also had the negatives. It is what it is.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  #87
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Some nice first-timers available next year like Hasek, Forsberg, Weight, etc.

I dont see Lindros getting in next year either...unfortunately.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:49 PM
  #88
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,297
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I didn't say it has NO impact. I listed off-ice issues as part of the reason why he hasn't been inducted and why I don't think he should be. I think the other reasons are equally part of the equation. Big picture. If you just look at PPG and how he played is his, let's face it, limited time on the ice over a 15 or so year career, there are going to be a ton of guys who are going to get in becuase, well, they were good when the played. I know Bure and Neely got in and people are saying Forsberg will probably get in. I would probably and will probably have the same arguments about those players. There are other factors involved in those players as well. Like I said about Bure, he scored a ton of goals, which is going to make you more attractive to voters. Neely basically invented a new type of playing style (or at least perfected it). To my knowledge these two guys were well liked (or at least not disliked) and neither were issues off the ice or in the locker room. Those are all +s when it comes to voters. Lindros had some pluses but also had the negatives. It is what it is.
Can you name these other players that Lindros is going to open the floodgates too? The other players over 1.1 PPG and even a few hundred games played?

I'll give you the answer... Kent Nilsson... that is it, Kent Nilsson is going to ram down those flood defences.

There are hardly any. There are not 'a ton of guys'. Lindros is top 20 all time in PPG if you include his whole career, heck, he was #6...ever if you go to 500 games. There are 22 retired players in the history of the sport with over 1.1 PPG (regardless of number of games played.) and Lindros is 15th in this list.

This would not be a vote on 'potential' or 'what could have been' this is a vote on what was and what he did... even with his problems, this still equates to one of the best 20 forwards of all time.

Imaginary people are who are going to get in the HOF because Lindros is, to me, does not seem a great argument for keeping him out.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  #89
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 1050
Lindros won't get in because he snubbed QC, which ultimately led to the team having to be moved, (Frankly it would have been moved anyway). But he ruined the spirit of the draft, and then had other off ice issues. He won't get in because the selection board is petty.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:07 PM
  #90
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Pens fan here so I'm not biased towards Lindros, in fact I never liked him. But he should absolutely be in the Hall. In terms of ability he is one of the best to ever play the game. His career and prime was long enough to me that I didn't need to see anymore to know how great he was. He was one of the best players of his time, an icon and a legend. Leaving him out to me would mean leaving out a legend and I can't agree with that. Even if he was a Flyer I feel the HHOF would be somewhat cheapened with his absence.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
  #91
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Can you name these other players that Lindros is going to open the floodgates too? The other players over 1.1 PPG and even a few hundred games played?

I'll give you the answer... Kent Nilsson... that is it, Kent Nilsson is going to ram down those flood defences.

There are hardly any. There are not 'a ton of guys'. Lindros is top 20 all time in PPG if you include his whole career, heck, he was #6...ever if you go to 500 games. There are 22 retired players in the history of the sport with over 1.1 PPG (regardless of number of games played.) and Lindros is 15th in this list.

This would not be a vote on 'potential' or 'what could have been' this is a vote on what was and what he did... even with his problems, this still equates to one of the best 20 forwards of all time.

Imaginary people are who are going to get in the HOF because Lindros is, to me, does not seem a great argument for keeping him out.
The problem is where do you draw the line? If they have that pace for 400 games is that enough to go to the HOF? What if they have a higher pace in even fewer games? And again, the argument is that I personally don't think he's a HOFer because he wasn't on the ice enough and there were office issues. He was dominant for parts of 11 seasons or however many he played in. The last four years of his career was average at best and that is being generous. He also had the office issues. Those are the arguments against him from my POV. The argument for him is that he was a great player, which I understand. I just happen to think he doesn't deserve to be inducted into the HOF because of the aforementioned reasons.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:45 PM
  #92
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
At point Flyers part of Lindros' career ended, he was 3rd in NHL all-time PPG average. But, hey, he was 'never truly dominant.'
Source: Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:52 PM
  #93
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,925
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The problem is where do you draw the line? If they have that pace for 400 games is that enough to go to the HOF? What if they have a higher pace in even fewer games? And again, the argument is that I personally don't think he's a HOFer because he wasn't on the ice enough and there were office issues. He was dominant for parts of 11 seasons or however many he played in. The last four years of his career was average at best and that is being generous. He also had the office issues. Those are the arguments against him from my POV. The argument for him is that he was a great player, which I understand. I just happen to think he doesn't deserve to be inducted into the HOF because of the aforementioned reasons.
He played 760 games; that's a long career under any circumstance... and with his last few years dragging him down, he still put up numbers amongst the greatest players of all time.

Your arguments that the selection committe would take under consideration focus more on the off-ice stuff and, as is said, time heals all wounds. When the voters selectively forget that part of his career, he'll get in.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
  #94
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
He played 760 games; that's a long career under any circumstance... and with his last few years dragging him down, he still put up numbers amongst the greatest players of all time.

Your arguments that the selection committe would take under consideration focus more on the off-ice stuff and, as is said, time heals all wounds. When the voters selectively forget that part of his career, he'll get in.
It happens in all sports with these writers and their weird personal criteria a for voting players in.

I mean baseball this past year didn't vote anybody in because Criag Biggio was the only player worthy of a selection but they felt he wasn't worth of a first-ballot selection. In football you have Cris Carter who is in the top 3 for every receiving statistic keep getting snubbed because a lady on the voting committee has a personal problem with him.

It's a mess in every sport to be honest. The writers are too stubborn.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:34 PM
  #95
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
lindros aint even in the flyers hall of fame. he was awesome but in the end he disappeared in the finals when it counted most. He'll get in there some year tho. as far as cam neely its all political b.s. he don't deserve to be in there.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
  #96
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,053
vCash: 500
The simple answer to the OP`s question is yes.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
  #97
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,297
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
lindros aint even in the flyers hall of fame. he was awesome but in the end he disappeared in the finals when it counted most. He'll get in there some year tho. as far as cam neely its all political b.s. he don't deserve to be in there.
When it counted most? So 96-97?

Like being the top scorer in the NHL those playoffs... willing the team to the finals on his own back, and being the 2nd top point scorer for us in the finals themselves.

That finals only Lindros, Brind'Amour, Leclair and Desjardins came to play. And Terry Murray got out-coached something awful.

Or is it those 95-96... when he was our top point scorer in the playoffs?

Or those 94-95 playoffs... when he was our top point scorer in the playoffs?

Or 97-98... he was really poor in those playoffs, only our 2nd best point scorer in them!

Or 99-00... when he came back from a severe concussion against doctors advice to try and help the team, after being publicly humiliated by the team after they had contributed to him almost dying the year before and misdiagnosed numerous concussions...

and was the only guy on the roster who even turned up for game 6, and the only guy who scored, heck, at the time it seemed like his line were the only ones to have any shots that game!

He was clutch... as his playoff performances compared to the rest of the team shows, as do the games when he was the only guy on the score-sheet, but you can't do everything yourself. Up until 99-00 our team usually only had 5 top 9 guys... if Lindros did not produce magic each game, we usually lost.

How is that not 'performing when it matters.'

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
  #98
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,297
vCash: 165
Here is one to show just how he 'did not turn up when it mattered.'

The Flyers won 27 playoff games Lindros played in.

Of those 27 GWG Lindros was on the ice for 16 of them.

94-95: GWG: 1 goal, 3 assist, 1 on ice (out of 8 team GWG total)
95-96: GWG: 2 goal, 1 assist, 1 on ice (out of 6 GWG total)
96-97: GWG: 1 goal, 3 assist, 2 on ice (out of 12 GWG total)
97-98: GWG: 1 assist (out of 1 GWG total)

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
  #99
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 500
Bobby Clarke seems to think so and that's good enough for me.

For about a 5 year stretch he was the best AND most dominant player in the world. I believe that Cam Neely has made it into the HHOF with a career cut short because of injuries so I see no reason to exclude Lindros simply because he didn't play long enough to put up monster like numbers.

He may have been a real dick-bag in real life but it doesn't detract from what he could do in the ice.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:43 PM
  #100
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
He played 760 games; that's a long career under any circumstance... and with his last few years dragging him down, he still put up numbers amongst the greatest players of all time.
I don't know if I'd agree with the last part of that statement. He's not in the top 100 for points, not in the top 100 for goals, and not in the top 100 for assists. I'm not sure where he ranks exactly in those categories, but if hes outside the top 100 in every major category, i think saying he put up numbers among the greatest of all time is disingenuous.

He's in the top 25 for PPG, but again that's not enough for me to vote for him to get in.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.