HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The problem with David Clarkson’s new contract

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Liminality

vCash: 500
There's a difference between being a realistic fan and a fan that's obsessed with being purely negative to try and stir up the pot. You're got to find a medium, especially when people stop taking you seriously since all you speak of is disgust.

Don't like the Clarkson contract but very glad he's here. Can't wait to see him on Kadri's line and ruffle a lot of feathers. Clarkson also becomes the #1 guy to put in front of the net since JVR did ok but Clarkson has that meanness to him to agitate those defenders.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

Buy him out after 4 yrs if its a problem

Old
07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
There's a difference between being a realistic fan and a fan that's obsessed with being purely negative to try and stir up the pot. You're got to find a medium, especially when people stop taking you seriously since all you speak of is disgust.

Don't like the Clarkson contract but very glad he's here. Can't wait to see him on Kadri's line and ruffle a lot of feathers. Clarkson also becomes the #1 guy to put in front of the net since JVR did ok but Clarkson has that meanness to him to agitate those defenders.
The richest team in the league has missed the playoffs more than pretty much any other team over the past 10 years.
We trade away two firsts and they turn into 2nd and 9th overalls.
We lose in a game 7 first round in the most LEGENDARY collapse in all of game 7 nhl world history.

The truth is that I'm at least TWICE as outraged as I show on this forum. What I write on this forum is the "toned down" version of my real opinion.

And, to be honest, I think that REAL fans of this team should be TEN TIMES angrier than I am on these forums.

Face it... when you're the richest team, yet miss the playoffs more than any other team, your management has made LEGENDARY mistakes.
I simply point them out.

There have been VERY little positives with this disgrace of an organization. This Clarkson atrocity of a contract is just another example.
The entire ****ing league considers that contract a joke.

Be honest with me...
if Clarkson signed that contract with another team, what do you think all of the leaf fans on this forum would be saying about it? Do you really think they'd be defending it?
We both know what would happen.
But why don't they see it? What is wrong with them?

Old
07-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
We're the richest team and we've made the playoffs ONCE in the past 8 years, winning ZERO playoff series.

MAYBE IT'S NOT ME THAT'S NEGATIVE. IT'S REALITY THAT'S NEGATIVE.
I'm just the voice of reason pointing it out.
Your freakin name is Disgruntled Observer, even you acknowledge you're negative. Just quit while you're behind, you're embarrassing yourself.

Whether you agree with the contract or not, Clarkson makes the Maple Leafs better. No denying that. Let the management worry about the contract stuff and just try to enjoy the on ice product, for everyone's sake. After all, isn't that what made you a fan in the first place? Watching hockey? Or are you just an accountant who enjoys stressing about dollar amounts and contract terms?

Old
07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post

Remember DO's spot-on analysis of the Kessel trade? Here's a small sampling of his comments, taken from just one thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=979841&page=7

This thread was from just before the '11/12 season. Since DO wrote those words, Kessel has been like the 6th highest scorer in the entire bloody league, outscoring the likes of Ovechkin, Tavares, Kovalchuk, Eric Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, the Sedins...

Yeah, we should've released him.
I (as well as the vast majority of hockey fans in the league) think that the trade was STILL a disaster of legendary proportions.
Only leaf fans try defending that disgrace.
But remember... some leaf fans also think that the CLARKSON contract... THE CLARKSON CONTRACT... was a "good" thing.
So you can't really put too much faith in their opinions.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Leafsin2014*

Quote:
Oh... so you're saying we shouldn't expect to see an increase in points for Clarkson when he's "moved off of the bottom 6".
You know thats what a lot of leaf fans are saying around here, right?

Clarkson is the 27th highest paid winger in the league. That means he's paid more than the MAJORITY of 1st liners.
Do you think averaging 45 points (for 1 seasons and a half... lol) warrants that type of money and term?

For the entire 2nd half of last season, Clarkson was already back to his "averaging 30 points" ways.

FACT: If Clarkson was signed to ANY other team, you would be bashing the contract relentlessly.
Do you really not see that?
FACT: If Pouliot was signed here instead of Clarkson, you'd be going on and on about how he's younger, 5 times cheaper, 7 times shorter contract, while putting up similar points.
Do you really not see that?
Seriously, there you go on about points again. Clarkson was brought in because he can put up 40+ points, stick up for teammates, win puck battles, be a force in front of the net, score in clutch situations which he's shown, intimidate, create space, be a force on the wall, etc. you can't see that because you don't understand the game. You make these arguments with lies and skewed stats, what is wrong with you?

Old
07-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Your freakin name is Disgruntled Observer, even you acknowledge you're negative. Just quit while you're behind, you're embarrassing yourself.

Whether you agree with the contract or not, Clarkson makes the Maple Leafs better. No denying that. Let the management worry about the contract stuff and just try to enjoy the on ice product, for everyone's After all, isn't that what made you a fan in the first place? Watching hockey? Or are you just an accountant who enjoys stressing about dollar amounts and contract terms?
So you just put blind faith in hoping leaf management knows what they are doing.

How has that worked out for you these past 8 years?
lol

And my name is "disgruntled OBSERVER".
I'm disgruntled about what I observe management doing. Being that management has behaved DISGRACEFULLY these past 10 years or so... I'm disgruntled.
You should be to.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Ciccio1980

People were upset that we didn't sign Richards last year to a ridiculous contract
If clarkson would have signed in Ottawa for 6m they would've wished we gave him 6.5m instead we get for 5.25
And people still complain

Old
07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfio View Post
hence making the comment about him having less miles on him for a typical 29 year old irrelevant. which was my point?
I don't disagree with your point. It was just a confusing argument as sarcasm isn't always obvious when written.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Leafsin2014*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
People were upset that we didn't sign Richards last year to a ridiculous contract
If clarkson would have signed in Ottawa for 6m they would've wished we gave him 6.5m instead we get for 5.25
People generally aren't complaining, it's just this one dummy masquerading as a Leafs fan - he is not.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2014 View Post
Seriously, there you go on about points again. Clarkson was brought in because he can put up 40+ points, stick up for teammates, win puck battles, be a force in front of the net, score in clutch situations which he's shown, intimidate, create space, be a force on the wall, etc. you can't see that because you don't understand the game. You make these arguments with lies and skewed stats, what is wrong with you?
In six full nhl seasons, Clarkson has topped 40 points once, and topped 30 points one other time. ONE OTHER TIME.
Last year he was Mr. 40 point player the first half, and Mr. 20 point player the 2nd half.

Players that are good at the "intangibles" you cite above generally get paid a pittance compared to players that can put up the points.
There is no real debating that.
Clarkson has NOT proven he can consistently put up the points in addition to his "intangibles".
But he's BEING PAID like consistently does that. For 7 full seasons.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Da Murf

Quote:
The richest team in the league has missed the playoffs more than pretty much any other team over the past 10 years.
We trade away two firsts and they turn into 2nd and 9th overalls.
We lose in a game 7 first round in the most LEGENDARY collapse in all of game 7 nhl world history.

The truth is that I'm at least TWICE as outraged as I show on this forum. What I write on this forum is the "toned down" version of my real opinion.

And, to be honest, I think that REAL fans of this team should be TEN TIMES angrier than I am on these forums.

Face it... when you're the richest team, yet miss the playoffs more than any other team, your management has made LEGENDARY mistakes.
I simply point them out.

There have been VERY little positives with this disgrace of an organization. This Clarkson atrocity of a contract is just another example.
The entire ****ing league considers that contract a joke.

Be honest with me...
if Clarkson signed that contract with another team, what do you think all of the leaf fans on this forum would be saying about it? Do you really think they'd be defending it?
We both know what would happen.
But why don't they see it? What is wrong with them?
Clarkson Contract: To be honest people would be saying the Oilers had to overpay for toughness as they had none. The Leafs also overpaid if you expect him to play all 7 seasons. If not, by the time that becomes an issue the cap has made him a much more affordable player.

Legendary mistakes?: No teams MGT handled the transition to the cap era worse than MLSE. Also most people love to put a little english on the facts.

1. Rask for Raycraft = stupid, but stupid was thinking Pogge could develop more than thinking Rask wouldn't be a star.
2 Kessel for Seguin Hamilton and Knight. Amazing that since future HHOF Hamilton couldn't crack the bruins lineup when they had 4 hurt on D in the playoffs, Seguin started hosting his own reality show of Tyler's party machine and Knight is taking longer to develop than thought that the names are gone and its a 2nd and 9th overall.
3. This team is still one looking at a window of 2-4 years out until they can get the kids they didn't move into the lineup. If they don;t pan out then it will be back to the drawing board and hopefully with a first overall to be the anchor of the new plan but if they do you have a competitive team than is sniffing at the Cup. You can choose to think that the team is going to crash and burn or succeed or be balanced but to choose the negative so that you can say told you so when it happens really means you should have a lot of time to write apologies to all the people who you've annoyed if it doesn't.

either way I am sure you are quite happy ranting away so I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2014 View Post
People generally aren't complaining, it's just this one dummy masquerading as a Leafs fan - he is not.
Go ahead and look at my posts from 2005.
I was a little frustrated with management going into the salary cap world, but very supportive of the team.
After 8 years of BULL-****ING-**** I've come down to a level of frustration that EVERY leaf fan should be at.
We SHOULD NOT be making lame excuses for this TERRIBLE contract.
WE SHOULD NOT BE DOING THAT!!!!

Be honest with me...
if you saw another team sign this contract with Clarkson, do you really think you'd be defending it? Be honest.
Probably not.

Imagine the leafs signed Clowe to that ridiculous contract he got.
Do you think you would be coming up with weird/lame excuses trying to defend it? Probably.

Me?
I'm consistent.
I think that BOTH the Clarkson and Clowe contracts are TERRIBLE, regardless of which team signed them.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Rational leaf fans are against stupid contracts.
Whether for Conne Smyth winning 90 point getting Richards, or a 29 year old player who has only topped 30 points TWICE in his long career.

Long stupid contracts are "bad".
So we "don't like" them.
Understand?

Old
07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Gallagbi
Formerly Eazy_B97

Quote:
In six full nhl seasons, Clarkson has topped 40 points once, and topped 30 points one other time. ONE OTHER TIME.
Last year he was Mr. 40 point player the first half, and Mr. 20 point player the 2nd half.

Players that are good at the "intangibles" you cite above generally get paid a pittance compared to players that can put up the points.
There is no real debating that.
Clarkson has NOT proven he can consistently put up the points in addition to his "intangibles".
But he's BEING PAID like consistently does that. For 7 full seasons.
He was closer to "Mr. 60 point player" the first half.

Another DO lie or just a simple mistake? You seem to do both fairly often, maybe you should stay away from the stats pages.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Number13

Quote:
So you just put blind faith in hoping leaf management knows what they are doing.

How has that worked out for you these past 8 years?
lol

And my name is "disgruntled OBSERVER".
I'm disgruntled about what I observe management doing. Being that management has behaved DISGRACEFULLY these past 10 years or so... I'm disgruntled.
You should be to.
Why should I be disgruntled? You're grouping 10 years together, when our current management group just got us into the playoffs and have only improved the team this off season. You say I'm blindly putting faith into them, when all they've done recently is build a competitive, tough, skilled young team that they just added some grit and leadership to. Yeah, definitely reason to be disgruntled eh? If none of that excites you, then you are a lost cause as a fan, and need to pick a new hobby.

You can keep throwing out 10 years, but its such a stupid point as this is a completely different team and culture to year's past.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
hockeygeek

So in a few years the majority of our team will be on the downslide. Good god we're screwed

Old
07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
He was closer to "Mr. 60 point player" the first half.

Another DO lie or just a simple mistake? You seem to do both fairly often, maybe you should stay away from the stats pages.
I was estimating.

If you say it's closer to "60 point player" in the first half, that would mean that he's closer to Mr. "10 point player" the 2nd half.

Does that make you feel better?
That he was even MORE incompetent the 2nd half of last year?
I think he got like 4 points in his last 15 ****ing games.
You excited to see this legendary player earn his (LOL) 7 ****ing year $5 ****ing million contract?
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Old
07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
number72

This is ridiculous article. Lupul will be a similar age to Clarkson when the contract expires.
And who wouldn't want Kessel on an 8 year contract.

Trash and not worth reading

Old
07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

De-railed.

Closed Thread