HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 500
Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Few quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People set their personal expectations too high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
the only conceivable way i can see us NOT finishing in the bottom 10 again is if more than one of the kids goes super-nova.... it would take something like RNH putting up 80+ points AND yakupov scoring 40+ goals.... even if hall has another season like he did this year (which was amazing btw, i don't know if we've been talking enough about just how good he was), without very large improvements by a couple other kids, we don't even get a *sniff* at the playoffs.... pretty sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Oh yeah, making moves to challenge for the playoffs after half decade picking in top 10. Outrageous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
That's not what I meant at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
It's too much to expect a team that has been in the basement for 1/2 a decade to get out of the basement? Are you ****ing kidding me? This team has not made a substantial improvement to their roster from one season to the next in YEARS. You are conditioned to the worst franchise ever. Donno how you can excuse it. MacT talked big and failed. No surprise there. We hired a GM with no experience and did not conduct a single interview for the job. Joke of an organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Oh yeah, wanting to finish out of the bottom ten is too demanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Actually I think having this glut of LHD's all of whom are defense first guys makes Smid expendable at some point.

I don't understand why some are so attached to Smid, highly overrated Dman. Sure, he has a lot of heart, is a good team guy and is great at blocking shots but everything else about his game is mediocre. Questionable hockey sense, below average puckmover and little offense to speak of. Also, he's not really that physical.
I would deal him in a second for some center help if it meant bringing in somebody like Couturier or Schenn.

Petry i feel has a lot of room to grow. He showed flashes of great potential last season, moves the puck very well, is a great skater and really ramped up the physicality last season. Plus he's a RHD which we have a big shortage of after him and Schultz so i would deal Smid before Petry if it came down to dealing one of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Oh I agree we shouldn't be counting on our prospects to come in and take his place, my opinion is that whether that does or does not happen, we should dump him because he is not a top pairing guy and he is not a bottom pairing guy.
We have Ference smid klefbom Schultz as possible second pairing guys already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Our problem is the collasal failure in the inani
Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Good for Zack.
Continue here

07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Gagner
Paajarvi
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Nurse

Yup, six years of top 10 picks from "failed" seasons. It hurts to think about it, lol.
In regards to Soundwaves post:

How has any of that mattered? All these prospects and none of them have made us any better. I'm tired of thinking about the future. I want the team to play a flipping playoff game.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I forgot who's idea, but offersheeting Clifford for $3M/yr for 4 years is a good idea. The 2nd means very little when Clifford could bring a lot of what we look for in the top-6.

Kings would have a tough time matching and it would give us a guy who does a lot of what we need.

He's not as proven as we'd like, but atleast we'd be much harder to play against.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

You can always play LHD on the right side, see Hjalmarsson in Chiago. Also, for those listening to Gregor his "$3M offersheet for Kyle Clifford" idea isn't bad, I think it would be worth the risk for some young version of what the team needs more of going forward

Old
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
In regards to Soundwaves post:

How has any of that mattered? All these prospects and none of them have made us any better. I'm tired of thinking about the future. I want the team to play a flipping playoff game.
They have made us better, but they're still kids. It's too bad we didn't tank a year earlier and grabbed Tavares.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Mr Sakich

I have been as big an oiler apologist as anyone on this forum but, enough is enough. There is no excuse for this team to not spend to the cap this year. What good did the excess cap space we had last year do us?

We don't have to sacrifice any youth. There are ufa that will make us better this year that we could sign to bloated 1 year deals. It doesn't matter if we overpay jagr, Grabosky, hainsey, or even Penner. All of those guys would improve our line up.

After we dump hemsky, sign gagner and MPS, we should have 11 mill to spend. If Katz puts that in his pocket again, I am going to lose interest come the first losing streak. After 6 years with no playoffs, he owes it to the fans to do everything he can to ice a winner.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They have made us better, but they're still kids. It's too bad we didn't tank a year earlier and grabbed Tavares.
A competent management team could have made us better without us having to draft 10th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 7th. I love having Hall, Nuge, Yak... but man at some point we need some returns. They aren't there. MacT doesn't get to start over again. This team is now in year 4? 5? 7? of a rebuild. When are we going to get some returns.

The Blue Jackets finished 30th place a year ago. A calender year later they finished 9th just out of the playoffs, added Bobrovsky, Gaborik, Nathan Horton and completely revamped their forward group.

It's such a giant lie suggesting that we need to be this bad for this long to build a successful team. Few teams in NHL history have been this bad for this long.

Paajarvi
Hall
RNH
Yak
Nurse...

Great. This year we needed to bring in handful of good NHL players to make this team complete. That didn't happen. All that's happened so far is we've moved out two NHL centers for one and marginally improved our defense by adding a #4/5 d-man.

So frustrated by this team. So frustrated being told to be patient. I've watched 7 years of the team being awful. When do we get our pay off?

Old
07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

vCash: 522
It bugs me that guys like Tychkowski (not surprised, he hates management) took one sentence from the MacTavish scrum and ignored everything else he said.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Lindo

Hasn't Stauffer mentioned Clifford on the show too?

Old
07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Lewy

Quote:
So frustrated by this team. So frustrated being told to be patient. I've watched 7 years of the team being awful. When do we get our pay off?
But don't forget, they've only been rebuilding since 2010!

Old
07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
A competent management team could have made us better without us having to draft 10th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 7th. I love having Hall, Nuge, Yak... but man at some point we need some returns. They aren't there. MacT doesn't get to start over again. This team is now in year 4? 5? 7? of a rebuild. When are we going to get some returns.

The Blue Jackets finished 30th place a year ago. A calender year later they finished 9th just out of the playoffs, added Bobrovsky, Gaborik, Nathan Horton and completely revamped their forward group.

It's such a giant lie suggesting that we need to be this bad for this long to build a successful team. Few teams in NHL history have been this bad for this long.

Paajarvi
Hall
RNH
Yak
Nurse...

Great. This year we needed to bring in handful of good NHL players to make this team complete. That didn't happen. All that's happened so far is we've moved out two NHL centers for one and marginally improved our defense by adding a #4/5 d-man.

Part of the problem IMO is that we've become fixated on picking up the "right players", as in we look off players if there's one thing wrong with them.

Can't sign Penner because he likes to induldge in a pancake now and again. Even though he'd help the roster.

Can't sign Jagr (apparently) because he's slow and can't keep up with our speed game. Even though he'd help the roster.

Don't make a serious push for Seguin because he likes to party and didn't dominate the playoffs at age 20. Even though he'd help the roster.

I mean seriously? We should be making hard pushes for all three of the above players, but no, they gotta be the perfect fit in every way, it's just stupid. Beggars can't be choosers.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

I think we are good to go for next season. You guys worry too much!

Old
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
I think we are good to go for next season. You guys worry too much!
Our roster isn't even better than last year.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:20 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Part of the problem IMO is that we've become fixated on picking up the "right players", as in we look off players if there's one thing wrong with them.

Can't sign Penner because he likes to induldge in a pancake at every waking minute. Even though he'd help the roster.

Can't sign Jagr (apparently) because he's slow and can't keep up with our speed game. Even though he'd help the roster.

Don't make a serious push for Seguin because he likes to party and didn't dominate the playoffs at age 20. Even though he'd help the roster.

I mean seriously? We should be making hard pushes for all three of the above players, but no, they gotta be the perfect fit in every way, it's just stupid. Beggars can't be choosers.
FTFY

Completely agree, btw. Although when were we bashing Jagr? The only holdup I have with him is that he plays the wrong position. If Eberle can slide over, that's great, and I've heard that he plays on his off-wing anyways, so yeah.

We'd all like Milan Lucic, but it's about time we realized that settling for Kyle Clifford will still make this team better.

EDIT: I'm still on the Penner bandwagon.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
It bugs me that guys like Tychkowski (not surprised, he hates management) took one sentence from the MacTavish scrum and ignored everything else he said.
Most of the media have grown extremely bitter about the Edmonton sports scene.

Hey, the teams suck but at least the fans and the media are completely in sync. There's a positive.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Our roster isn't even better than last year.
Well, if Eberle and especially Nugent-Hopkins fix what ailed them this year then we might be... a little better?

Old
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Most of the media have grown extremely bitter about the Edmonton sports scene.

Hey, the teams suck but at least the fans and the media are completely in sync. There's a positive.
True. I will say that Kevin Lowe finally getting attacked at the press conference for the MacTavish (nothing against him) hiring was one of the highlights of the season. Great moment.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

People need to realize that the biggest move the team will make this offseason is nothing. Just letting the kids develop and in Nuges case get healthy will be massive in this team getting better, adding depth players is important but nothing compares to the progress of the kids.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
OS Clifford people! He'll be a perfect 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:27 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
It's too much to expect a team that has been in the basement for 1/2 a decade to get out of the basement? Are you ****ing kidding me? This team has not made a substantial improvement to their roster from one season to the next in YEARS. You are conditioned to the worst franchise ever. Donno how you can excuse it. MacT talked big and failed. No surprise there. We hired a GM with no experience and did not conduct a single interview for the job. Joke of an organization.
Eakins was easily MacT's most significant move and now it looks like the fate of next season is really dependent upon how much he can squeeze out of a roster that has an incredible lack of depth below the top 6. Our D is below average and lacks a difference maker, our goaltending is going to be bad unless DD can manage to play his top game for 70 games a season, and our bottom 6 that was supposed to be totally revamped was patched with Gordon and a smattering of career AHLers who appear to be poised to be unchallenged for roster spots.

It's gonna be anothe lotto year folks.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
RisingSun
Punky's Whips

vCash: 50
Here's my emergency Project-Playoffs plan. It's not future friendly but hell at least we're not drafting top 10.
Disclaimer: I suck at player value evaluation, so I'll stick with the players of interest, but please correct any value errors.

BUF

Vanek
For
PRV, 2014 1st Round pick, 2015 2nd Round pick

PHI

Coburn
for
Marincin, Hemsky (50% cap retain), 2014 2nd Rounder

Sign Grabovski
Sign Penner

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Vanek - Gagner - Eberle
Penner - Grabovski - XXX
Smyth - Gordon - Jones
Joensuu - Lander - Brown

Coburn - J.Shultz
Smid - Petry
Ference - Belov
Shultz - Larsen

Dubnyk
Labarb

By icing three offensive lines, we can generate an offensive threat every shift. This also provides some back up scoring in case any one of the kids has a off year, our offensive depth would easily minimize any lack of scoring.
By adding Grabo, we can finally field some centre depth. There's a good chance RNH might take some time to recover and might even not play for the beginning of the season, so by pushing some higher end centers into our bottom 6, we can minimize most of the damage by bringing them up.

Also at first glance, the idea of Gordon playing on the fourth line might seem crazy but if you look around the league, that line doesn't seem too off.
ex.)
Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves
Carter-Gionta-Bernier
Greening Smith Neil
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Old
07-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Paralyzer008

I assume the Capitals would match an offer sheet for Marcus Johansson right? I guess he's too soft anyways.

I don't want to throw a big offer sheet at Clifford, I think he's already overrated on this board.

Hell I bet you could get him for a 3rd rounder, instead of offer sheeting a 2nd rounder.

We're already paying Gordon too much to be a role player at 3M, I'm not paying another role player 3M.

Penner, on the other hand, at least in my opinion, has more talent than a role player, and I'd pay him 3M.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM
RisingSun
Punky's Whips

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, if Eberle and especially Nugent-Hopkins fix what ailed them this year then we might be... a little better?
Which will be completely offset by the fact we will be playing a much tougher division.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Lindo

I like the Clifford idea a lot. Fits the type of move we should be doing.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
OS Clifford people! He'll be a perfect 2nd/3rd line tweener.
I don't like offer sheets, but I'm warming to this idea.

Closed Thread