HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  #26
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I have been as big an oiler apologist as anyone on this forum but, enough is enough. There is no excuse for this team to not spend to the cap this year. What good did the excess cap space we had last year do us?

We don't have to sacrifice any youth. There are ufa that will make us better this year that we could sign to bloated 1 year deals. It doesn't matter if we overpay jagr, Grabosky, hainsey, or even Penner. All of those guys would improve our line up.

After we dump hemsky, sign gagner and MPS, we should have 11 mill to spend. If Katz puts that in his pocket again, I am going to lose interest come the first losing streak. After 6 years with no playoffs, he owes it to the fans to do everything he can to ice a winner.
Jagr would be nice.

tiger_80 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  #27
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
MinnesotaFats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I have been as big an oiler apologist as anyone on this forum but, enough is enough. There is no excuse for this team to not spend to the cap this year. What good did the excess cap space we had last year do us?

We don't have to sacrifice any youth. There are ufa that will make us better this year that we could sign to bloated 1 year deals. It doesn't matter if we overpay jagr, Grabosky, hainsey, or even Penner. All of those guys would improve our line up.

After we dump hemsky, sign gagner and MPS, we should have 11 mill to spend. If Katz puts that in his pocket again, I am going to lose interest come the first losing streak. After 6 years with no playoffs, he owes it to the fans to do everything he can to ice a winner.
The money thing is what I don't understand. MacT says he didn't want to overpay for UFAs and then he makes Clarkson some asinine offer, but doesn't open up the wallet for guys like, well, any one of the players NSH signed. I'd rather have overpaid Matt Cullen and Nystrom. I'm sure the concern was ensuring cap space for Yak and RNH but guys like Cullen are valuable and easily tradeable even with a slightly over priced contract. And if you only get a pick or prospect back, so be it. The UFA cost you only money to sign and you've restocked the cupboards a bit.

Part of me hopes for continued failure because any success just means Lowe sticks around longer. Pretty obvious where all the bad ideas in this org start. You change the pieces under him but things stay the same. There are two constants with the Oilers: Kevin Lowe and failure. This isn't a coincidence.

MinnesotaFats is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  #28
doubledown99
Registered User
 
doubledown99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Man the negativity from some of you is worse than the results of the hockey team

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
  #29
RisingSun
Registered User
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Man the negativity from some of you is worse than the results of the hockey team
The last thing people should expect from Oiler fans is positivity and rightly so.

RisingSun is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
  #30
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
The last thing people should expect from Oiler fans is positivity and rightly so.
Based on?

Seachd is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
  #31
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I forgot who's idea, but offersheeting Clifford for $3M/yr for 4 years is a good idea. The 2nd means very little when Clifford could bring a lot of what we look for in the top-6.

Kings would have a tough time matching and it would give us a guy who does a lot of what we need.

He's not as proven as we'd like, but atleast we'd be much harder to play against.
Too much for a guy who's been a fourth liner. Maybe on a one year deal to see if he can be anything more but 3 or 4 years is way too long.

Halibut is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
  #32
vickpeterson
Registered User
 
vickpeterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: HF
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Offer sheeting Kyle Clifford seems like our only option at this point. Then trade Hemsky for Chris Kelly and Nick Schultz for Coburn while retaining some salary.

While we are on the point of Nick Schultz, someone mentioned last year the reason he is doing so bad with us while doing pretty good in Minny is because last year we had no defensive system or structure with Kreuger, while Minny has a very structured defensive approach. The poster seemed to note that Schultz is the type of Dman that thrived when there were systems in place. Does anyone think he could have a major bounce back year under a new coach with new Defensive systems?

vickpeterson is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
  #33
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Canucks fan here. May the peace be with you.

The Oilers want some bigger guys in their top 6. Canucks need more raw skill.


David Booth



Ales Hemsky

You guys will get Booths size. He drives the net hard, gets in the rough areas. Had a 30 goal season with 2 hatricks. Panthers MVP. His cap hit is lower then Hemsky's. The injury issues are a wash.


LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
  #34
kinghock
Registered User
 
kinghock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I forgot who's idea, but offersheeting Clifford for $3M/yr for 4 years is a good idea. The 2nd means very little when Clifford could bring a lot of what we look for in the top-6. Kings would have a tough time matching and it would give us a guy who does a lot of what we need. He's not as proven as we'd like, but atleast we'd be much harder to play against.
Oilers can do this and in a few years they will get offersheeting for Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yak, Klefbom, Schultz from Kings or other teams.

kinghock is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:46 PM
  #35
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Canucks fan here. May the peace be with you.

The Oilers want some bigger guys in their top 6. Canucks need more raw skill.


David Booth



Ales Hemsky

You guys will get Booths size. He drives the net hard, gets in the rough areas. Had a 30 goal season with 2 hatricks. Panthers MVP. His cap hit is lower then Hemsky's. The injury issues are a wash.

Well, Hemsky is healthy right now. Is Booth?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
  #36
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Oilers can do this and in a few years they will get offersheeting for Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yak, Klefbom, Schultz from Kings or other teams.
We gave out offersheets to Vanek and Penner.

...

nothing happened

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
  #37
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Oilers can do this and in a few years they will get offersheeting for Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yak, Klefbom, Schultz from Kings or other teams.
It's a relatively minor offer sheet, people say there will be revenge offer sheets all the time but it's mostly just bluster.

No one's thrown one at Philly and we didn't get anyone thrown our way.

Hall and Eberle are already locked up long term, and Nugent Hopkins and Schultz will be soon as well.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
  #38
Ghostbuster
Registered User
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Oilers can do this and in a few years they will get offersheeting for Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yak, Klefbom, Schultz from Kings or other teams.
Well considering Hall is locked up till he's a UFA, I'm not to worried about that.

You can have at it for the rest.

Ghostbuster is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
  #39
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
We gave out offersheets to Vanek and Penner.

...

nothing happened
Not to mention offer sheets can be completely prevented by signing your restricted free agents beforehand.

Seachd is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:49 PM
  #40
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Remember when KLowe did the Penner offer sheet and the Vanek offer sheet and posters here were livid, saying that he had tarnished the reputation of the organization and that no other GMs would ever have anything to do with us again?

Yeah, those were fun times.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:51 PM
  #41
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Canucks fan here. May the peace be with you.

The Oilers want some bigger guys in their top 6. Canucks need more raw skill.


David Booth



Ales Hemsky

You guys will get Booths size. He drives the net hard, gets in the rough areas. Had a 30 goal season with 2 hatricks. Panthers MVP. His cap hit is lower then Hemsky's. The injury issues are a wash.

I've seen so many Canuck fans wanting to boot Booth's ass out of Vancouver, via amnesty, so I get the feeling that he isn't someone we should touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Oilers can do this and in a few years they will get offersheeting for Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yak, Klefbom, Schultz from Kings or other teams.
I don't buy this. Even if another team threw an offer sheet at our guy (which by the way, Hall is locked up), first of all our player has to sign it, and second of all we can simply take the hoard of picks that we'd get back if it wasn't an offer we liked.

Besides, we'd be dumb to offer sheet Clifford, I think Oiler fans are so desperate for the 2nd line LW now that they are reaching for fits. David Perron? People were making fun of me for suggesting that but now he's a fit? Clifford? The guy who only had 2 assists in the playoffs and was a healthy scratch during the cup finals in 2011? Sigh.

I'll take Penner or maybe Kulemin because I think he could be cheap, but come on with some of the other suggestions.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:52 PM
  #42
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Remember when KLowe did the Penner offer sheet and the Vanek offer sheet and posters here were livid, saying that he had tarnished the reputation of the organization and that no other GMs would ever have anything to do with us again?

Yeah, those were fun times.
Just the regular end of the world melodramatic *****ing from HFoil.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:56 PM
  #43
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post


It's a game. If the state of the team gets people this worked up, they're taking it far too seriously, and need to scale back. I'm sure there are more important issues in which to get this upset about.
Um, i'm pretty sure that most HF posters are diehard fans and fans tend to emotionally invest themselves into the team.
This has been one of the worst franchises in sports the last 4 seasons and it doesn't look much better going into next season so what did you expect?

This is a place to vent and a lot of us are venting our frustrations and rightfully so based on the track record of this organization.
Of course in life there are much more important things to be happy/upset with but i don't see how that is relevant on a hockey forum.

Obviously, there are a lot of overreactions here good and bad but i think a lot of the frustration is warranted.
MacT opening his big yap making all these promises didn't help matters.

CupofOil is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:59 PM
  #44
kinghock
Registered User
 
kinghock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It's a relatively minor offer sheet, people say there will be revenge offer sheets all the time but it's mostly just bluster.

No one's thrown one at Philly and we didn't get anyone thrown our way.

Hall and Eberle are already locked up long term, and Nugent Hopkins and Schultz will be soon as well.
Zharkov, Hartikainen, Marincin and Musil also could get offersheeting in a few years.

kinghock is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:59 PM
  #45
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Well, Hemsky is healthy right now. Is Booth?
No Booth is hurt. But who cares, the injuries are a wash.

Look what sizable players were going for in this free agency. Booth represents good value at 4.2 over 2 years. Even his Canucks numbers prorated are fine. I can provide them at your request.

Both of these guys are so damn redundant on both teams. Burrows, Kesler, Hansen and Higgins can do what Booth does.

Eberle, Yak, RNH, and Gagner can do what Hemsky does.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:00 PM
  #46
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Which will be completely offset by the fact we will be playing a much tougher division.
I don't buy the tougher division thing. Van is weaker this year, Calgary is abysmal. I think this year we will match up well against both Phoenix and San Jose. I'd much rather be in the division we are now than the division we have been in prior.

molsonmuscle360 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
  #47
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Zharkov, Hartikainen, Marincin and Musil also could get offersheeting in a few years.
Of course. Any RFA can. I'm not sure if that's supposed to worry the Oilers or not, since we've never once seen any of these "revenge" offer sheets you're threatening.

Seachd is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
  #48
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
No Booth is hurt. But who cares, the injuries are a wash.

Look what sizable players were going for in this free agency. Booth represents good value at 4.2 over 2 years. Even his Canucks numbers prorated are fine. I can provide them at your request.

Both of these guys are so damn redundant on both teams. Burrows, Kesler, Hansen and Higgins can do what Booth does.

Eberle, Yak, RNH, and Gagner can do what Hemsky does.
injuries aren't a wash if he can't play to start the season?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:02 PM
  #49
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Canucks fan here. May the peace be with you.

The Oilers want some bigger guys in their top 6. Canucks need more raw skill.


David Booth



Ales Hemsky

You guys will get Booths size. He drives the net hard, gets in the rough areas. Had a 30 goal season with 2 hatricks. Panthers MVP. His cap hit is lower then Hemsky's. The injury issues are a wash.

Big no. Hemsky might not be worth as much as a few years ago, but he's not that bad

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is online now  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM
  #50
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I've seen so many Canuck fans wanting to boot Booth's ass out of Vancouver, via amnesty, so I get the feeling that he isn't someone we should touch.

.
Those were just fans that wanted to use the buyouts just because they were there. Some fans are sick of his injuries but thats it. After this looney free agency, most fans are happy to keep him.

Booths numbers for the games he has played are decent. They are better then Hemsky's.

What exactly are you worried about ?

LolClarkson* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.