HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rare Footage of 1933 Stanley Cup Final (and other goodies)

Old
07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Incredible! That was at MSG 3 ?
I'm pretty sure that's Maple Leaf Gardens.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:08 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post

Game 4 footage (won series 3-1) and interviews with Lester Patrick, Ching Johnson, and the Cook brothers.
The footage I have tried to get, unsuccessfully, is the Rangers-Bruins series where the Bruins won the Cup in 6 at the Garden.

If anyone could direct me to that, it would be much appreciated.

Would love to see footage of Eddie skating to center ice at the beginning of Game 3 in the Garden and lean over and talk to Derek Sanderson. After Eddie skated back to his net, the puck dropped and every Ranger threw off their gloves and started punching.

Afterwards we learned that Eddie had said to Derek that the Rangers were not interested in winning the game. They were interested in killing Derek. As electric as I have ever seen the Garden.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:10 PM
chosen

Quote:
Rough and tough really didn't emerge until the 70's. You had the occassional stick swinging incident though, like the famous Geoffrion/Murphy incident in 1953. If you thought the Rangers response to Gaborik/Carcillo was soft, get a load of this...

Green-Maki went that one, one better.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Good advice from Bill Cook in the intermission. "Put the puck on goal"

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Would love to see footage of Eddie skating to center ice at the beginning of Game 3 in the Garden and lean over and talk to Derek Sanderson. After Eddie skated back to his net, the puck dropped and every Ranger threw off their gloves and started punching.

Afterwards we learned that Eddie had said to Derek that the Rangers were not interested in winning the game. They were interested in killing Derek. As electric as I have ever seen the Garden.
Here you go, from Game 3 of the 1970 QFs. Fast-forward to 1:12.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
This commentator is way better than Doc.
Foster Hewitt is one of Doc's biggest influences. Honestly, you could hear it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I'm absolutely fascinated with how nonchalant winning the cup seemed then. I mean, a stanley cup deciding overtime goal, and no excitement from the announcer, a very conservative goal celebration from Cook, and the rest of the team just skates off like nothing happened. I mean, the contrast between the emotion of winning it then vs today seems huge!
The stoicism of that period doesn't mean there wasn't emotion, just that it wasn't worn on your sleeve. That seems more like something that really came about post-WWII.

What interests me is how much the game of that time reminds me of soccer. Not a ton of shots, but action up and down.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:30 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Green-Maki went that one, one better.
Yes--Ted Green (later on Rangers asst. coach) and Wayne Maki (RIP) went at it in a preseason game. Green had a very fearsome reputation--a kind of Bruins version of Scott Stevens. Maki was the younger brother of long time Blackhawks top 6 winger Chico Maki--trying his damnedest to finally make the NHL for real. The end result was that after really walloping each other a couple times--Green as he related kind of turned away which is when Maki's stick came down on his head and fractured his skull. Green was out of action for a couple years after that and had to have 2 or 3 operations if I remember correctly and a plate was put in his head. His face for a time sagged on one side like a stroke victim and he had to have (again if I remember correctly) all kinds of therapy for things like eating and speaking. Eventually he made it back to the NHL but he was never quite the same.

Which reminds me as well of former Rangers and then Bruins Eddie (clear the track) Shack and his stick battle with long time minor league tough guy Larry Zeidel. Zeidel was from Montreal and Jewish. Growing up in not the nicest area of that city he'd often felt as a boy persecuted for his religion. This was about 1968 when the league expanded from 6 to 12 teams and guys who'd spent years and years in the minors were finally getting a legit shot to play in the NHL. Zeidel had fought just about every willing minor leaguer for more than a decade. He had a chip on his shoulder going back to those days as a young Jewish kid in Montreal. It informed on the way he looked at life and on the way he played hockey. Shack was just a knucklehead a kind of larger version of Sean Avery only not nearly as intelligent. He could really skate though and stir the pot and he had a habit of ducking fights. I don't know if there are any pictures on the internet but the crew cut Shack and Zeidel both have blood streaming down their faces from several different gashes when it's over--anyway to add a bit to that Shack and Green had met up one time before when Shack's Rangers were playing an exhibition against a minor league team Zeidel played for and the two had a stick fight then. Shack was just a young kid then and Zeidel had worked him over with his stick. Shack tells Zeidel do it again and he'd hit him over the head and that's exactly what happened and they both got tossed. For the 1968 episode--Bruins players (not Shack though) had been slinging anti-Semitic taunts at Zeidel all year--the players mentioned include Don Awrey, Phil Esposito (HOF), Gerry Cheevers (HOF) and Ted Green. Zeidel was getting worked up and by the time of this incident in March he was primed to explode and he and Shack ran into each other again.

Last edited by eco's bones: 07-10-2013 at 07:52 AM.
eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Crease

Yeah, Maki/Green was brutal. Eco, I never knew about the Shack/Zeidel thing. Interesting. Thanks for that.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Crease

CBC does a great Legends of Hockey series, filled with in-game footage and studio interviews. Here is Rod Gilbert. The Rangers footage starts around 12:45. In-depth on the Rangers/Bruins rivalry starting around 17:00, with great clips of the GAG Line and Orr.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Crease

Behind the scenes look at Blackhawks/Rangers on Feb 18, 1967. Some really great footage of Emile Francis, veteran Harry Howell, Phil Goyette, a young Rod Gilbert, and of course Eddie Giacomin. Chicago was stacked that year, with Bobby Hull (#9), Stan Mikita (#21), Pierre Pilote (#6) and Phil Esposito (#4).

Rangers won 4-1 that night.

1 - CHI : Wharram 26 (Stapleton, Ravlich) (EV) @ 3:20 in video
2 - NYR : Fleming 13 (Howell, Ingarfield) (EV) @ 4:15 in video
3 - NYR : Goyette 10 (Nevin) (EV) @ 5:11 in video
4 - NYR : Marshall 18 (Goyette) (EV) @ 6:35 in video
5 - NYR : Ingarfield 8 (Fleming, Berenson) (EV) @ 7:13 in video

Great quality production. Very cool seeing Mikita and Hull together like that, and candid shots of Francis on the bench and in the locker room.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Crease

Rare footage of the 1939-40 Rangers in a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Foster Hewitt with the call again. In-game footage begins at 4:13.

Babe Pratt (#11) hip-check at 4:30 (awesome)
Neil Colville (#6) takes the puck up the ice and splits the defense at 5:27.
Lynn Patrick (#9) puck rush starting at 7:06

Last edited by Crease: 07-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
This commentator is way better than Doc.
It's Foster Hewitt, one of the legends of hockey broadcasting.

I love the image of "the battered old Stanley Cup" in the final seconds.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
egelband

wow. wonderful. thank you for posting.
i noticed how the players body checked with the intent to gain possession of the puck as opposed to trying to injure the opponent. wow, respect for the opponent. crazy.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
egelband

i swear i saw a young ron greschner on that 39-40 team...

Old
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
chosen

Quote:

What I have been trying to find is the whole Rangers Bruins series on some form of video, but thanks for the video. Funny how my memory of it changed some of the details.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Crease

Quote:
What I have been trying to find is the whole Rangers Bruins series on some form of video, but thanks for the video. Funny how my memory of it changed some of the details.
I've been having trouble finding video of that series myself. Game 1 of the 1979 finals between the Rangers and Canadiens is available on YouTube. Still holding out hope that I can find '72 games.

I have a feeling your memory blended together the bounty incident with the Derek Sanderson/Rod Gilbert run-in during Game 6 of the 1972 finals.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:

Game 4 footage (won series 3-1) and interviews with Lester Patrick, Ching Johnson, and the Cook brothers.
This is fantastic. I saw a lot of that footage of Foster interviewing the Rangers years ago on the "Tradition On Ice" video, and it was great to see it again, see previously unseen footage from it, and find out where it came from. I actually had no clue this was from the 1933 Stanley Cup Finals. Good find, dude!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 07-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
egelband

Quote:

some tough dudes...mainly on the broons tho. this makes me want mcilrath up this year. need more toughness. not more fighters/goons. but guys who'll keep things 'kosher' on the ice. too much shenanagans with henrik getting run regularly. i'm sick of it. been dealing with this feeling as a ranger fan for 20 years...

Old
07-10-2013, 06:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
some tough dudes...mainly on the broons tho. this makes me want mcilrath up this year. need more toughness. not more fighters/goons. but guys who'll keep things 'kosher' on the ice. too much shenanagans with henrik getting run regularly. i'm sick of it. been dealing with this feeling as a ranger fan for 20 years...
Kurtenbach, Hadfield, Park, and Irvine represented toughness on a par with anyone.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:41 PM
bernmeister

1 Thanks Crease

2. I nominate this post to get a sticky until further notice.
Who will second the nomination?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote