HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Oilers can do this and in a few years they will get offersheeting for Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yak, Klefbom, Schultz from Kings or other teams.
Ah yes, because it's not like Hall or RNH or Yak or any of those guys can't be signed long term before that. Oh wait on Hall.

Or it's not like we had anything done after Vanek and Penner.

Quote:
Zharkov, Hartikainen, Marincin and Musil also could get offersheeting in a few years.
2 guys in the KHL, 1 guy looking like a bottom pairing and only one worthwhile guy potentially.

Be my guest.

07-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Zharkov, Hartikainen, Marincin and Musil also could get offersheeting in a few years.
Wouldn't worry about that since any offersheet to those players that the Oilers wouldn't match would either be absurdly high, or the compensation would be greater than the player is worth anyway.

Fact is tons have offer sheets have been thrown out, including two fairly recently by the Oilers, and we still haven't seen any revenge offer sheets yet.

I'd definitely be down with Clifford if he's willing to sign it. I'd rather trade for him, but if they're refusing to deal him to a divisional opponent, then I don't see what other options MacT has.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Draekke

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Um, i'm pretty sure that most HF posters are diehard fans and fans tend to emotionally invest themselves into the team.
This has been one of the worst franchises in sports the last 4 seasons and it doesn't look much better going into next season so what did you expect?

This is a place to vent and a lot of us are venting our frustrations and rightfully so based on the track record of this organization.
Of course in life there are much more important things to be happy/upset with but i don't see how that is relevant on a hockey forum.

Obviously, there are a lot of overreactions here good and bad but i think a lot of the frustration is warranted.
MacT opening his big yap making all these promises didn't help matters.
I propose that we make a "Ventilation" thread for people who just wanna ***** all the time. I'm looking at this thread to read about trade proposals and potential free agents, not what some posters think about how ****** the team is.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Those were just fans that wanted to use the buyouts just because they were there. Some fans are sick of his injuries but thats it. After this looney free agency, most fans are happy to keep him.

Booths numbers for the games he has played are decent. They are better then Hemsky's.

What exactly are you worried about ?
Injuries. Playing soft. Not scoring as much as he used to because he DOESN'T go to the net.

Not the same player that he was in Florida before he was clocked by Richards IMO

Old
07-09-2013, 08:09 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Big no. Hemsky might not be worth as much as a few years ago, but he's not that bad
Coming from a team that was throwing huge money at David Clarkson ?
Best years:

Booth
2008-09 Florida Panthers NHL Games 72 G31 A29 plus 10

Clarkson
2011-12 New Jersey Devils NHL Games 80 G30 A16 minus 8

Old
07-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Coming from a team that was throwing huge money at David Clarkson ?
Best years:

Booth
2008-09 Florida Panthers NHL Games 72 G31 A29 plus 10

Clarkson
2011-12 New Jersey Devils NHL Games 80 G30 A16 minus 8
Please tell me you don't take +/- seriously

Booth in 2010-11 was -31. Does that make him awful for eternity? No, but losing his tenacity after getting a serious injury can make him awful, as well as repetitive injuries.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:11 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

If you offer sheet someone out of revenge and not because it makes sense for your team, you're a terrible GM and deserve to overpay for a scrub. lol

Trying to fear monger offer sheets is dumb. More GM's should take advantage of them. They're in the CBA for a reason.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:13 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Injuries. Playing soft. Not scoring as much as he used to because he DOESN'T go to the net.

Not the same player that he was in Florida before he was clocked by Richards IMO

He has more points then David Clarkson even after the Richards hit.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:14 PM
PETRYDISH

I hope we go find a guy like Clifford, maybe sign morrow. Anything really. With the amount of moveable assets we have it's inexcusable to go into the next season with the same unbalanced team.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

Quote:
Booths numbers for the games he has played are decent. They are better then Hemsky's.

What exactly are you worried about ?
Is this a joke? Last two seasons:

Hemsky: 56 points in 107 games (.523 ppg)
Booth: 34 points in 74 games (.446)

So the Oilers trade a guy who has played more, has more goals, assists, points, and is off the cap next season for Booth, who is even more injury prone and has an extra year left on his contract?

Last edited by Del Preston: 07-09-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old
07-09-2013, 08:15 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Please tell me you don't take +/- seriously

Booth in 2010-11 was -31. Does that make him awful for eternity? No, but losing his tenacity after getting a serious injury can make him awful, as well as repetitive injuries.
David Clarkson was -20 in the same year.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
He has more points then David Clarkson even after the Richards hit.
Booth has 73 points since 2010-11

Clarkson has 88 points since 2010-11

You are dead wrong.

PS: A lot of Oiler fans here didn't even want Clarkson at his overpaid price. Why do you keep comparing Booth to Clarkson? We couldn't care less about Clarkson he's Leafs property now.

Like I said earlier, I don't care about +/-, it isn't an accurate measurement of how a specific player is playing.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Arpeggio

The thing is, the Oilers might be better next year just based on progression from the young guys. I mean if Yakupov, Hall, RNH, Eberle, and MPS all come into the season stronger, faster, and more confident, they could drag this team into playoff contention. If MPS turns into a 20 goal guy, Yakupov, Hall, and Eberle all score 30+, and RNH puts up 70 points, this team is making the playoffs. Hell, if Gagner actually scores 60 points on top of all that, I'd say they're a lock. But it would be nice if they didn't need absolutely everything to go right for once.

As an aside, I could see Paajarvi come out of the gates flying this year, he must see that 5 young guys are carrying this team right now and he's on the verge of getting cut out of that group, I bet he's super motivated to get back into the core of the team.

Edit: For this reason I'd be cool with MPS in the top 6 IF they had a couple of big guys on the third line that could replace him if he doesn't turn out. I don't mind him getting a chance to play on an offensive line, I just think if you do that, the rest of the team has to be a lot bigger and tougher than they are now.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Is this a joke? Look at the last two seasons:

Hemsky: 56 points in 107 games (.523 ppg)
Booth: 34 points in 74 games (.446)

So the Oilers trade a guy who has played more, has more goals, assists, points, and is off the cap next season for Booth, who is even more injury prone and has an extra year left on his contract?
I was of the understanding that the Oilers wanted David Clarkson at about the salary and term he got from the Leafs.

If that is the case then Booth's extra year is dirt cheap compared to Clarksons extra 6 years. Everything about Booth is dirt cheap compared to Clarkson or Clowe.

Hemsky is not worth as much to you guys even if his point totals are higher then Booths.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I hope we go find a guy like Clifford, maybe sign morrow. Anything really. With the amount of moveable assets we have it's inexcusable to go into the next season with the same unbalanced team.
Hey, its only November. Wait until after the all star break before throwing in the towel.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post

BUF

Vanek
For
PRV, 2014 1st Round pick, 2015 2nd Round pick

PHI

Coburn
for
Marincin, Hemsky (50% cap retain), 2014 2nd Rounder

Sign Grabovski
Sign Penner

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Vanek - Gagner - Yakupov
Penner - Grabovski - Jagr <------ the Molasses (in january) line
Eager - Gordon - Jones
Smyth
Brown

Coburn - Petry
Smid - Ference
Belov - Schultz
Potter
Larsen

Dubnyk
Labarb

I do those trades, but Penner isn't ever getting signed here. But just for fun, why not just spend to the cap this year and add Jagr on a high $ 1-year as well?

Eager was getting some good reviews at the end of the season and Tencer was hinting that he might get another shot with the team under Eakins, also I think N. Schultz is outa here.

That team gets you in the playoffs no?

Old
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
I was of the understanding that the Oilers wanted David Clarkson at about the salary and term he got from the Leafs.

If that is the case then Booth's extra year is dirt cheap compared to Clarksons extra 6 years. Everything about Booth is dirt cheap compared to Clarkson or Clowe.

Hemsky is not worth as much to you guys even if his point totals are higher then Booths.
Look, the answer to your question about if HFOil is interested in a Hemsky for Booth swap appears to be no. Your attempt to sell us on the idea isn't working. Let it die.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:

You are dead wrong.

PS: A lot of Oiler fans here didn't even want Clarkson at his overpaid price. Why do you keep comparing Booth to Clarkson? We couldn't care less about Clarkson he's Leafs property now.

Like I said earlier, I don't care about +/-, it isn't an accurate measurement of how a specific player is playing.
^This. We dodged a bullet there. It's scary to think that MacT was offering even more dough.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:

You are dead wrong.

Booth has played 156 games since 2011

Clarkson has played 215 games since 2011

Old
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Look, the answer to your question about if HFOil is interested in a Hemsky for Booth swap appears to be no. Your attempt to sell us on the idea isn't working. Let it die.
Although we'll probably change our minds when all Hemsky returns is a 3rd rounder and some B prospect.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:30 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hey, its only November. Wait until after the all star break before throwing in the towel.
After Canadian Thanksgiving, I pretty much give up on the Oilers.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Although we'll probably change our minds when all Hemsky returns is a 3rd rounder and some B prospect.
You could be right there...

But what does Hemsky at $3M with PRV and the 1st get you?

Old
07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Arpeggio

Are we sure they're even moving Hemsky at this point? He said one move, plus adding another depth defenceman (why?). I'd be let down a bit if moving Hemsky was the move he was talking about. Someone in the media should've asked if that was even a priority at this point.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
If it clears salary, it's probably better than taking on Booth.

I'd either keep Hemsky or deal him for what you said above or if it landed me an actual useful player. I don't see Booth as a useful player. Canucks fans have been ripping him apart and every time I watch him, he's been soft on the perimeter.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:35 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You could be right there...

But what does Hemsky at $3M with PRV and the 1st get you?
Probably less than just what PRV and the 1st get. If Hemsky was coveted around the league, he'd be gone by now. I have a feeling we're going to be fairly upset around here with his return.

Closed Thread