HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Erik Gustafsson, 1-year for $1m, one-way contract

Old
07-09-2013, 04:16 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gus wear #6 now that he likely has a permenant roster spot and lolja is gone.

He wore #7 in college and has worn different variations of the number 6 here, so it wouldn't surprise me.
6 is an unlucky number for the Flyers.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Well him signing kinda of screws us up cap wise. By the end of the offseason we need to be cap compliant. With Gus signing for 1 million it puts us over 2 million now. We could have waived Rosehill and Gervais to make it work, and just brought them back up in the beginning of the year. Now they don't clear enough space. Someone will be moved.
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (3.75) - Voracek (4.25)
Schenn (0.90) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Simmonds (3.98)
Laughton (0.93) - Couturier (0.93) - Read (0.90)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Hall (0.60) - Talbot (1.75)
Rosehill (0.68) - Wellwood (0.59)

*Pronger (4.92)
Timonen (6.00) - Schenn (3.60)
Streit (5.25) - Coburn (4.50)
Gustafsson (1.00) - Grossmann (3.50)
Meszaros (4.00) - Gervais (0.83)
Bourdon (0.61)

Mason (1.50)
Emery (1.65)

~Bartulis (0.10)
~BONUS CHARGE (0.18)

SALARY CAP: 64.30
TOTAL CHARGE: 67.00
CAP SPACE: -02.70
OFFSEASON SPACE: +03.73

We are currently 02.70m over the salary cap for the 2013-14 season and 03.73m under the offseason salary cap.

Let's assume both Wellwood and Bourdon are healthy and get sent back to the AHL by the end of training camp. That puts us at 65.80m, which is still over the salary cap by 01.50m.

So in order to bridge the gap to where Pronger can be put on LTIR, we need to come up with 1.50m in space.

That means we were already 00.50m over when Gustafsson was signed.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

By the way, waiving Rosehill and Gervais for one game gives us 01.51m in savings. Coupled with the demotions of Bourdon and Wellwood upon health, we save 02.71m in total should we play that game.

That gives us a CAP CHARGE of 64.29m with both Pronger AND Meszaros on the roster going into the first day of games.

That means, if we did that, we would be cap compliant with our current roster by 00.01m on opening day.

Then we could LTIR Pronger and bring up Gervais and Rosehill.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
By the way, waiving Rosehill and Gervais for one game gives us 01.51m in savings. Coupled with the demotions of Bourdon and Wellwood upon health, we save 02.71m in total should we play that game.

That gives us a CAP CHARGE of 64.29m with both Pronger AND Meszaros on the roster going into the first day of games.

That means, if we did that, we would be cap compliant with our current roster by 00.01m on opening day.

I'm almost positive Mez is moved as soon as he passes a physical. Some team will take him for the year, especially if they're a cap floor team. I could also see a team like the Oilers taking a flyer (no pun) on him to see if he can turn it around when healthy.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:08 PM
bennysflyers16

Mezz at 4 mill to be a bottom pairing D or 7th is insanity. If he is on this roster 1 month from now I will be pissed off. We need some breathing room for the reg season.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Stizzle

Quote:

I think you are saying something similar to what this article said, right?

http://thehockeyguys.net/timing-is-e...ltir-benefits/

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I think you are saying something similar to what this article said, right?

http://thehockeyguys.net/timing-is-e...ltir-benefits/
Yeah. Gervais and Rosehill also make sense because they are not only players that other teams likely wouldn't claim, but they also happen to be players that the Flyers miss.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:45 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:

Sorry to ruin (I think anyway) this bit of genius but Wellwood isn't going to be healthy for a long while (Janurary I think). However I'm fairly sure B. Schenn is still waiver exempt... Presuming we could LTIR Pronger and call him up straight away it would be fine... Just the math wouldn't be as nice

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Sorry to ruin (I think anyway) this bit of genius but Wellwood isn't going to be healthy for a long while (Janurary I think). However I'm fairly sure B. Schenn is still waiver exempt... Presuming we could LTIR Pronger and call him up straight away it would be fine... Just the math wouldn't be as nice
That 00.01m is pretty isn't it?

Either way, the main point is that we have options.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Mezz at 4 mill to be a bottom pairing D or 7th is insanity. If he is on this roster 1 month from now I will be pissed off. We need some breathing room for the reg season.
I will say it again....me and a MTL fan agreed upon a Mez for Diaz deal. Mez has more upside if healthy and gives them a bigger body. It gives us a PMD. We save 2.8 million in cap hit. Both are UFA's next year. We then have Gus and Diaz in our top 7. We ALL know we will have at least 1 injury going on so all will play. And it pushed Gervais to #8...minors. If we have to "dump Mez for a pick, I would look to add Blum to a $750,000 contract...1 year. He can't be worse than Gervais.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
XDevilBoiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Mez caught some bad breaks these past few years, before that he was one of our best dman. I rather trade Coburn and get a better return then give Mez away for squat. If he comes back healthy he can do more for the team then Coburn. His offense will certainly help.

Timo will probably retire after next year and our offense from our dman will be coming from a 36 year old Streit, I'm not comfortable with that. That is if Mez will be healthy next year and I don't think that will be a problem.

XDevilBoiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDevilBoiX View Post
Mez caught some bad breaks these past few years, before that he was one of our best dman. I rather trade Coburn and get a better return then give Mez away for squat. If he comes back healthy he can do more for the team then Coburn. His offense will certainly help.

Timo will probably retire after next year and our offense from our dman will be coming from a 36 year old Streit, I'm not comfortable with that. That is if Mez will be healthy next year and I don't think that will be a problem.
1. I'm completely against moving Coburn and going with Meszaros. Meszaros is a health risk. Coburn is not, and on top of that, Meszaros has done nothing to prove he's a better defenseman than Coburn. The same reasons why Coburn nets an awesome return against Meszaros' bag of pucks return are the same reasons why you want to keep Coburn over Meszaros. Our mission here is not to downgrade the defense; it is to upgrade it.

2. I want to convince Timonen to stay one more season after the next so that we have one more year bridged before Gostisbehere comes out of NCAA and Hagg comes out of Europe. If that's not possible, we take a severe hit defensively as we should expect, but Streit and Gustafsson can handle to the top 4 PMD responsibilities. I have no problems with that if it's our only option. It's a sucky position, but it's better than extending Meszaros an extension under the prayer that he stays healthy.

Again, we're not even sure if Meszaros is a better defenseman than Coburn anymore let alone Gustafsson. When he briefly came back for the 2012-13 post-lockout season he was atrocious for all of 11 games until he went down again with another injury.

It's exactly the same as the deal with Bourdon. You don't know if Meszaros healthy is returning even remotely close to the level he played at before if he's even returning at all. Expecting him to just pick up the slack after moving Coburn or extending him hoping he can partially replace Timonen is a ridiculously bad idea.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Tripod

Quote:
1. I'm completely against moving Coburn and going with Meszaros. Meszaros is a health risk. Coburn is not, and on top of that, Meszaros has done nothing to prove he's a better defenseman than Coburn. The same reasons why Coburn nets an awesome return against Meszaros' bag of pucks return are the same reasons why you want to keep Coburn over Meszaros. Our mission here is not to downgrade the defense; it is to upgrade it.

2. I want to convince Timonen to stay one more season after the next so that we have one more year bridged before Gostisbehere comes out of NCAA and Hagg comes out of Europe. If that's not possible, we take a severe hit defensively as we should expect, but Streit and Gustafsson can handle to the top 4 PMD responsibilities. I have no problems with that if it's our only option. It's a sucky position, but it's better than extending Meszaros an extension under the prayer that he stays healthy.

Again, we're not even sure if Meszaros is a better defenseman than Coburn anymore let alone Gustafsson. When he briefly came back for the 2012-13 post-lockout season he was atrocious for all of 11 games until he went down again with another injury.

It's exactly the same as the deal with Bourdon. You don't know if Meszaros healthy is returning even remotely close to the level he played at before if he's even returning at all. Expecting him to just pick up the slack after moving Coburn or extending him hoping he can partially replace Timonen is a ridiculously bad idea.
I agree, Mez is the guy to lose unless you have another deal involving Coburn that bring back another BETTER d-man. And even then, chances are the salary is more than Coburn then you have to move Mez anyways.

Also, this is why you do not sign a player like Gevais for 2 years. It wasn't needed. I know he van be sent down still without hurting the cap but it still takes up a contract spot when other guys like Blum are out there this year for free.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
XDevilBoiX

So you guys think Mez is the next A. Markov? Coburn's season ended with a seperated shoulder, the next hit he takes could seperate it again or he can suffer a concussion. Not wishing it happens, just sayin.

We trade away players so quick rather then wait and see, if they do give Mez away for free I hope that don't come back to bite us in the ass like how the Bob move did.

XDevilBoiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
6 is an unlucky number for the Flyers.
Moose Dupont`s Cup winning goal notwithstanding, I guess....

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I will say it again....me and a MTL fan agreed upon a Mez for Diaz deal. Mez has more upside if healthy and gives them a bigger body. It gives us a PMD. We save 2.8 million in cap hit. Both are UFA's next year. We then have Gus and Diaz in our top 7. We ALL know we will have at least 1 injury going on so all will play. And it pushed Gervais to #8...minors. If we have to "dump Mez for a pick, I would look to add Blum to a $750,000 contract...1 year. He can't be worse than Gervais.
I'm not trying to be a **** but that literally means nothing, neither of you know what Holmgren & Bergevin are thinking.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
tuckrr

I'd hang on to mez for the first half of the season. Unless we have some need for that money.

I just want to see what this team looks like; Lecavalier, goalies, streit/mez/grossmann, etc.
No need to move mez when he could be on the brink of a comeback year!
(Unless someone has something in mind for the $$)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
JoeFlyer

If we don't do anything else this offseason I'd be ok with it.

If, however, Holmgren wanted to make me really happy:
1. Dump Mesz (for me Gustavsson has to be top 6, I know there will be injuries but I think you have to hope that we won't need 11 (someone said?) D - if you've got guys who can play NHL mins, they should be 7, not someone who we want to see actually try to forge a potential top 4 career). Sign that Blum guy if you want more options at no.7 spot.

2. Resign Gagne in the $2-2.5m region. Laughton plays wing on the 4th line (just as I believe Richards did?). Again the other young guys will get their chance when injuries hit - I'm not sold in giving them 82 games yet.

3. You're also under the cap by $800k - $1.3m depending on the Gagne deal (excluding Wellwood - I'm still not really sure what the deal is with him / his contract, there always seems to be something I never knew could be done in these situations...).

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:42 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
One way doesn't really mean anything, right? It just means he makes the same amount in the NHL and AHL.

Either way I think he's likely to be on the roster.
Pretty sure you are correct.

The one way/two way thing has no bearing on waivers. There is a certain amount of NHL hours played which determines waiver eligibility.

<edit>and i see im WAAAAY late to this party.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
If there is a way to keep Mez and carry 7 d-men of Gus, Timonen, Mez, Schenn, Streit, Coburn and Grossmann I think we should do it. One of them is bound to get hurt anyway. It can't hurt to carry him, hell if no one gets hurt then you have games where you can give old guys a rest or bench someone if you feel you need to.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:23 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Moose Dupont`s Cup winning goal notwithstanding, I guess....
I guess I should have clarified as of late*

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I guess I should have clarified as of late*
Not a Sean O'Donnell fan?

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
StandingCow

Based on what I have read, us being over the cap won't matter, we can just throw Schenn who is still waiver exempt into the AHL until pronger is officially on LTIR..

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
If there is a way to keep Mez and carry 7 d-men of Gus, Timonen, Mez, Schenn, Streit, Coburn and Grossmann I think we should do it. One of them is bound to get hurt anyway. It can't hurt to carry him, hell if no one gets hurt then you have games where you can give old guys a rest or bench someone if you feel you need to.
Its sheer lunacy to have that many d-men signed for that much money, guys that sit in the press box should be making league minimum. Not 4M. I don't care who may or may not get hurt. A team this close to the cap that has to make these weird moves just to get under can not afford to have guy be a healthy scratch at 4 million dollars or 3 million dollars.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote