HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Jersey # question.

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Averick*

vCash: 500
Jersey # question.

OK, Hunwick was waived but is still property of the Avs. MacKinnon is now under contract. Does Hunwick still have claim to #22? How does this kind of thing work?

Old
07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averick View Post
OK, Hunwick was waived but is still property of the Avs. MacKinnon is now under contract. Does Hunwick still have claim to #22? How does this kind of thing work?
Well the Hunwick situation does make it interesting but before that becomes a factor we would have to know if Mackinnon still wants to be #22. Sometimes players want to start with a new number in a new league.

I would think that if Mackinnon wants # 22...he will get it.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Dutchy09*

Question I also have about jersey numbers since it's brought up, anyone know what number Sarich/Tanguay will take? I'm assuming #40 or 18 for Tangs.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy09 View Post
Question I also have about jersey numbers since it's brought up, anyone know what number Sarich/Tanguay will take? I'm assuming #40 or 18 for Tangs.
Isnt wOLVERine #40? Or am I remembering wrong

Old
07-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Well the Hunwick situation does make it interesting but before that becomes a factor we would have to know if Mackinnon still wants to be #22. Sometimes players want to start with a new number in a new league.

I would think that if Mackinnon wants # 22...he will get it.
I would hope so. But then the question becomes, is it on MacKinnon to be assertive enough to ask for it and possibly present the appearance that he's telling Hunwick, "step aside, scrub!"? Some guys are too nice, or self conscious about appearing nice to do that. So, my question then becomes whether the jersey gets pulled from Hunwick by the team.

The truth is, there's some financial sense for the Avs to pull 22 from Hunwick. Double digit numbers are are more memorable and more appealing. Ive heard that psychologically, numbers endign in 0 also have more impact.

Quite honestly, someone from the Avs should pull the number from Hunwick and go to MacKinnon and say, Hunwick doesn't want it. Either that or someone from the Avs should dangle a carrot in front of Hunwick.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:09 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy09 View Post
Olver is currently #40, so Tangauy may not get that one...and if he takes #18 then that's fine with me, I've still got an old Home White Tanguay #18 jersey laying around.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quite honestly, someone from the Avs should pull the number from Hunwick and go to MacKinnon and say, Hunwick doesn't want it. Either that or someone from the Avs should dangle a carrot in front of Hunwick.
Claude can just come back and slap Hunny around a bit since 22 was really his number all along.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Relaxedriley
Slightly Sober

vCash: 367
Everything I've ever read/heard about Hunwick shows that he is a humble team first kind of guy. If MacKinnon wants that number he just has to whisper in Roy's ear. Roy can go to Hunwick and act like he wants to surprise Mac with the number....or Mac can just talk to Hunwick about it.

I've been both the scrub of the team and one of the better players entering a new team and had to deal with this situation on both sides. As the bench warmer I wasn't too worried about picking a new number....but if the new guy turned out to be a ******** it might have bothered me. I have never been exceptionally skilled, and maybe that makes a difference, but I chose not to take the other guys number...it just felt sleazy when I thought about it.

Hunwick may be a journeyman, but he is a veteran who has worked his ass off to make/stay in the league. If MacKinnon chooses not to take the number away he will gain respect in the locker room, especially from the grinders on the team.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Wasn't Hunwick #48 at one point? So maybe he's not married to #22. I'm sure there is some protocol to ask for it. My bet is MacKinnon gets 22 but it's not the end of the world if he chooses something else. Also, I read that the team has to wait until the player is signed before selling jerseys. Now that it's happened I'm sure jersey number gets addressed soon.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxedriley View Post
Everything I've ever read/heard about Hunwick shows that he is a humble team first kind of guy. If MacKinnon wants that number he just has to whisper in Roy's ear. Roy can go to Hunwick and act like he wants to surprise Mac with the number....or Mac can just talk to Hunwick about it.

I've been both the scrub of the team and one of the better players entering a new team and had to deal with this situation on both sides. As the bench warmer I wasn't too worried about picking a new number....but if the new guy turned out to be a ******** it might have bothered me. I have never been exceptionally skilled, and maybe that makes a difference, but I chose not to take the other guys number...it just felt sleazy when I thought about it.

Hunwick may be a journeyman, but he is a veteran who has worked his ass off to make/stay in the league. If MacKinnon chooses not to take the number away he will gain respect in the locker room, especially from the grinders on the team.
This is why, if Hunwick is really a stand up guy, he'll just give up the number without being prompted. This is a point where it's time for lesser players to take one for the team.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Aerolanche

I would say there is no chance that Mack asks for 22. However, especially after being waived, it doesn't appear Hunwick is guaranteed to be on the opening night roster anyway. Unfortunately for everyone including me who is waiting for a number to buy a jersey, it could be another Stastny situation where he starts with a temporary number.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Old
07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Relaxedriley
Slightly Sober

vCash: 367
Quote:
This is why, if Hunwick is really a stand up guy, he'll just give up the number without being prompted. This is a point where it's time for lesser players to take one for the team.
Maybe; but once when I joined a new team the guy who had my number heard me say "awww man" (in a joking tone) when I found out my number was taken. He offered it to me and I refused...couldn't take his number from him. We don't see whats going on behind closed doors especially on such a minor issue.

I can't imagine the amount of hate Hunwick will get if he's still wearing 22 next season, deserved or not.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
I would say there is no chance that Mack asks for 22. However, especially after being waived, it doesn't appear Hunwick is guaranteed to be on the opening night roster anyway. Unfortunately for everyone including me who is waiting for a number to buy a jersey, it could be another Stastny situation where he starts with a temporary number.
That would be a smart move and the right move. No matter what you think of Hunwick, he's a six year NHL veteran and by all accounts a team player. He shouldn't have to give his number to a rookie and he shouldn't be asked to. MacKinnon can pick a different number if Hunwick is still on the team.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Foppa2118

MacKinnon wears 22 in honor of Freddy Cabana, an ex Moosehead, who he thinks of like his older brother. He said in an interview he'd wear it on his NHL team if it wasn't already taken, so who knows what happens with Hunwick.

Quote:
“When he first went to the Mooseheads, he sent me a message on Facebook to see if I would let him play with number 22,” Cabana said. “I said to him ‘Nate, play with it and you’ll put number 22 on the map. Nobody’s going to remember that I wore it. When they retire number 22 in Halifax it’ll be for Nathan MacKinnon, not for Freddy Cabana. Go ahead and wear it, I’ll be more than proud that you wear it because of me.’”

Now that MacKinnon is on the verge of jumping to the NHL, he has no intention changing. He said that as long as the team that drafts him doesn’t already have a player who wears 22, he will keep that on his back in honour of Cabana.

“Absolutely,” MacKinnon said. “It’s all him, that’s why I wear it. Hopefully I can have it for my whole career.”

When told that, Cabana seemed sincerely touched.

“I have no words for it if he keeps wearing it in the NHL,” Cabana said. “That’s pretty cool.”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...oung-mackinnon

Old
07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxedriley View Post
Maybe; but once when I joined a new team the guy who had my number heard me say "awww man" (in a joking tone) when I found out my number was taken. He offered it to me and I refused...couldn't take his number from him. We don't see whats going on behind closed doors especially on such a minor issue.

I can't imagine the amount of hate Hunwick will get if he's still wearing 22 next season, deserved or not.
It will be deserved...just for being such a colossally clueless meathead. He's a guy who's lucky to be in the NHL at all. Even if MacKinnon is a bust, he's the #1 pick in one of the most loaded drafts in decades. Hunwick is a scrub. He should really be smart enough to figure this out. But, sadly, some people are this stupid. Quite honestly, if he doesnt simply give up his number, I feel it will be out of spite...because the Avs waived him. And yes, the rancor will be deserved.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That would be a smart move and the right move. No matter what you think of Hunwick, he's a six year NHL veteran and by all accounts a team player. He shouldn't have to give his number to a rookie and he shouldn't be asked to. MacKinnon can pick a different number if Hunwick is still on the team.
This matter is an indictment of how much of a team player he is. And the guy is a scrub lucky to be on a team. If you want to laud him for his tenure, then you should also default to the idea that he should know what's, what.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:23 PM
YEAHSO
Posturing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Wasn't Hunwick #48 at one point? So maybe he's not married to #22. I'm sure there is some protocol to ask for it. My bet is MacKinnon gets 22 but it's not the end of the world if he chooses something else. Also, I read that the team has to wait until the player is signed before selling jerseys. Now that it's happened I'm sure jersey number gets addressed soon.
#48 was most likely his training camp number. 40s seem to be the number for them (Barrie, Elliott, Sgarbossa, Olver etc).

I'm almost certain Hunwick will know MacKinnon has been 22 and offer it to him or Roy will talk to him about it. Can't see Mack adressing Hunwick about it- it's just not something you do as a rookie.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
MacKinnon wears 22 in honor of Freddy Cabana, an ex Moosehead, who he thinks of like his older brother. He said in an interview he'd wear it on his NHL team if it wasn't already taken, so who knows what happens with Hunwick.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...oung-mackinnon
He can pick a different number. It won't be the end of the world.

Quote:
This matter is an indictment of how much of a team player he is. And the guy is a scrub lucky to be on a team. If you want to laud him for his tenure, then you should also default to the idea that he should know what's, what.
If Hunwick offers it up that's fine. But no one should go to him ask him to give MacKinnon #22.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post
#48 was most likely his training camp number. 40s seem to be the number for them (Barrie, Elliott, Sgarbossa, Olver etc).

I'm almost certain Hunwick will know MacKinnon has been 22 and offer it to him or Roy will talk to him about it. Can't see Mack adressing Hunwick about it- it's just not something you do as a rookie.
Seriously, if Hunwick needs to be talked to about this, then Roy might as well also spoonfeed him oatmeal every day. You'd have to be a total rockhead to be this oblivous.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Averick*

Quote:
He can pick a different number. It won't be the end of the world.

If Hunwick offers it up that's fine. But no one should go to him ask him to give MacKinnon #22.
Sorry but this is completely wrong for a variety of reasons.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Mac will end up doing what a lot of players do when their number is already taken...he will just reverse the numbers

Old
07-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Sorry but this is completely wrong for a variety of reasons.
That's your opinion. Hopefully people in the organization don't feel the need to kiss a 17 year old's ass like some fans want them to.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I guess I missed the rule that said veterans are required to give up their number if a #1 Overall pick has it as well.

Hunwick will most likely give up his number to MacKinnon, but I agree, he shouldn't be forced to do it.

And think of it this way, if MacKinnon HAS to get a different number, you know he's going to #22 as soon as he can, so you could get a MacKinnon jersey with a different number and it would be a collector's item...much like the Sakic 88 and the Stastny 62 jerseys!

Old
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Averick*

Quote:
That's your opinion. Hopefully people in the organization don't feel the need to kiss a 17 year old's ass like some fans want them to.
He's the first pick of the draft, 17 or not. Hunwick is a guy they tried to give away. You, seriously, need to reconcile Hunwick's place in the world of hockey.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Averick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I guess I missed the rule that said veterans are required to give up their number if a #1 Overall pick has it as well.

Hunwick will most likely give up his number to MacKinnon, but I agree, he shouldn't be forced to do it.

And think of it this way, if MacKinnon HAS to get a different number, you know he's going to #22 as soon as he can, so you could get a MacKinnon jersey with a different number and it would be a collector's item...much like the Sakic 88 and the Stastny 62 jerseys!
Remember when Gretzky first entered the NHL as # 64? Not saying MacKinnon is Gretzky, but he's much closer to Gretzky than Hunwick.

Players are identified with numbers. There's also a marketing aspect to this. Jersey numbers that are double digit have more appeal with fans than otherwise. Are you seriously going to let Matt Hunwick tie up 22?...Matt Hunwick?! Come on, now!

Closed Thread